Author Topic: Deftones  (Read 30505 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Deftones
« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
Cool! Has that atmospheric Koi No Yokan-esque sound in the intro that made that record so fresh-sounding, I'm digging it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2016, 01:46:05 PM »
These are the types of Deftone's songs that I really love.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
I furggin' LOVE this! Oh boy I want the new album meow.

ED:

Uhhhh WHOA been out of the loop; totally thought that was just a random new song but there's the album that Steph was talkin' about in all it's glory on iTunes, just teasing me... For anyone else out of the loop:

"Gore" out April 8th

1. Prayers/Triangles
2. Acid Hologram
3. Doomed User (EXPLICIT HIDE YO KIDS)
4. Geometric Headdress
5. Hearts/Wires
6. Pittura Infamante
7. Xenon
8. (L)mirl
9. Gore
10. Phantom Bride
11. Rubicon

I want this shit EVEN MORE MEOW. Jerry Cantrell is supposedly making an apperance on the album but there are no (Featuring) notes on the tracks on iTunes and a quick Google didn't bring anything specific up so...should be an interesting surprise!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:05:51 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Art

« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2016, 03:58:22 AM »
Cool song! :metal

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2016, 04:11:37 AM »
Koi No Yokan was one of my favorite albums of 2012, can't wait to get this one!

That new song was good, and the song titles look awesome!

Offline Art

« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2016, 04:14:36 AM »
Deftones always has the best song titles.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2016, 08:56:53 AM »
This song is pure bliss. Whenever I am not listening to it I have the urge to just turn it on.
My only gripe is that the mix could do with more bass, but that's probably because Sergio has bass tones that lack the bottom register and overally are not that good imo.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »
Sounds great. Gives me the impression it will be the Deftones i really love. Not that i didn't love Koi No Yokan, i did really like it, but i felt like there were too many layers on top of one another. I like the simpler style of White Pony; so effective.yet simple. This song sounds like it should get radio play.

Offline adace

« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »
Great song! Can't wait!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2016, 12:54:07 PM »
I don't really 'get' the groove in the verses. I'm constantly losing track of where the '1' is. Sounds to me like the drums are playing in a different time signature than the rest of the instruments or something.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2016, 10:20:59 AM »
PRAAAAAAAAYEEEERS

I'm loving this song man, can't wait for the album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »
PRAAAAAAAAYEEEERS

I'm loving this song man, can't wait for the album.

For sure. Koi No Yokan is my favourite Deftones album and this would surely make the top 4 there. That's how strong I think this song is.  :metal

Offline krands85

« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2016, 06:32:29 AM »
New song - Doomed User
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2016, 06:39:14 AM »
On first listen this one is much weaker than Prayers/Triangles. The chorus is good, but the verses are pretty average stuff when it comes to Deftones.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2016, 07:11:36 AM »
Agreed, not the best first impression, especially compared to P/T which already almost feels like a Deftones classic to me. Though this seems like one of their heavy songs, following the pattern of their releases I reckon there won't be too much songs like this one on the album. Still incredibly hyped.

On another note: My favorites tend to change like every week for Deftones, currently in love with "Prince" big time, currently it's easily my favorite song off my favorite album.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:42:08 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »
New song - Doomed User

Oooh that riff (start at 16 seconds in)... that's not a usual Deftones riff and it stands out well. Dig it!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
I still really liked it but I do like Pyramids more. Still very neat and while the continuous, almost ever-present guitar lines are a bit much by the latter half, I still rawked out to it. They do harmonies so well.

RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2016, 03:59:25 AM »

Interview with the band here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/deftones-talk-new-album-band-tension-we-like-unnerving-feelings-20160401?page=2

A music video for Prayers/Triangles is apparently coming our way :metal and Hearts/Wires sounds like it's gonna be one fucked up song.

Offline krands85

« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
Another new song - Hearts/Wires
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »
I like mellow/chill deftones these days so I think this album will be right up my alley. Or course when the mood suits me, I go back to the heavy stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2016, 02:22:11 AM »
I like mellow/chill deftones these days so I think this album will be right up my alley. Or course when the mood suits me, I go back to the heavy stuff.
There's definitely some heavy oldschool Deftones stuff on it though not that much yeah, overall it's pretty chill.

Anyone listen to the album yet? It's now on Spotify. I've heard it twice in full now and I can easily admit this one's in my top 3 albums of 2016 so far, and very likely as the #1. Based on these very positive first impressions, I divided the songs into 3 categories, it's a damn consistent album but there's a few absolute standouts and two songs I like slightly less.

Tier 1:
Hearts/Wires
Rubicon
Gore

Tier 2:
Prayers/Triangles
Geometric Headdress
Acid Hologram
Phantom Bridge
(L)MIRL
Pittura Infamante

Tier 3:
Xenon
Doomed User

This was, along with Affinity and The Astonishing, my most anticipated 2016 release and it hasn't disappointed one bit :metal can't believe it.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2016, 02:44:34 AM »
Listening for the first time right now. I'm not sure I'll be able to rank after one listen, but I'll give it another spin on my way to lectures today and hopefully I'll be able to make my initial ranking then.
Hearts/Wires is definitely gonna be a top 3 song though.

Offline adace

« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2016, 04:20:20 AM »
The new album has some good songs but so far it hasn't made as strong an impression on me as the last two albums have. Gonna have to give it some more time.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2016, 04:29:42 AM »
The new album has some good songs but so far it hasn't made as strong an impression on me as the last two albums have. Gonna have to give it some more time.

This definitely seems to be my first impression. I was blown away by KNY and Diamond Eyes. Here I'm just like "this seems ok, I might like it after a few listens" on most of the songs.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »
Looking at the past 3 albums, Diamond Eyes was an album I loved, with strong writing from beginning to end. KNY was very decent and had some really strong parts, but lacked here and there.

Then here comes Gore, an album I was highly looking forward to, but for me its just ok. There definitely are some very strong songs on the album, but a lot of it just sounds like noise. Just wayward, unfocused and all over the place. I just don't find the songwriting very strong.

I really like Prayers/triangles, phantom bride and rubicon, but the rest just doesn't do it for me.  I was ready to really love this album, but I will enjoy it as much as I can non the less.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2016, 10:00:33 PM »
I'm really enjoying it. Phantom Bride is my favorite with the title track being my least favorite and everything else is pretty much right under Phantom Bride for me.

Offline krands85

« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2016, 04:59:47 AM »
Phantom Bride was the only track that grabbed me on first listen. Don't think I'm gonna like this one anywhere near as much as Koi No Yokan sadly.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »
It's a good album, Phantom Bride is amazing as is Prayers/Triangles. Definitely very atmospheric. Not sure if it's better than Koi No Yokan, but I like it a lot anyways.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #203 on: April 11, 2016, 03:56:38 AM »
I love it through and through. There are a few moments that dip and some songs that I don't like as much but that's exactly the same as Koi and Diamond are for me so this is pretty much right there with them, which is saying a lot considering I love the vast majority of those albums. I think this trio of albums fits together very nicely. I can't say much more because just as DE and KNY, it'll take a while to sink in but the immediate favorite for me is definitely Hearts/Wires.

RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
...the immediate favorite for me is definitely Hearts/Wires.
Yeah no kidding. The last album was amazing and is easily in my top 3 Deftones albums, but I don't think it holds any all time favorite Deftones songs of mine, maaaybe Gauze/Swerve City but I doubt it. Hearts/Wires, while still new and potentially overhyped by me, sounds like it could be one of my absolute favorites, I love everything about it.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »
I'm still not feeling this album that much after three listens. Prayers/Triangles, Doomed User and Hearts/Wires are amazing, but the rest is kinda not growing on me at all at this point. And that has never happened to me with a Deftones album before.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »
Gore/Phantom Bride, P/T, H/W and (L)MIRL are topping the list for me atm.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2016, 05:01:49 AM »
Listened the new album through once, and it's pretty decent.
Not nearly as good as Koi No Yokan or White Pony but it's pretty good.

I will eventually spin it again, and see if it grows on me more!

Oh, and Hearts/Wires is pretty damn good!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2016, 10:19:02 AM »
As much as I love Koi No Yokan, what it was missing was that trip-hop element that was part of the sound on White Pony and also Diamond Eyes.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »
I don't think it's as good as Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan, but it doesn't have to be. It's another great album from an awesome band, and I'm not disappointed that this is an 8 and not a 9.