Author Topic: [Music] Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
Reviewed By: Nicholas R. Andreas
Artist: Shadow Gallery
Album: Digital Ghosts
Genre: Progressive Metal
Year of Release: 2009
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Ghosts-Shadow-Gallery/dp/B002Q4TKUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260514078&sr=8-1

Shadow Gallery has always been known for beautiful and often mystical vocal melodies. Since Shadow Gallery’s self titled debut was released in 1992, Mike Baker was the man responsible for delivering a majority of those melodies. His voice became one of the most well known and well respected amongst progressive metal fans worldwide. Sadly in October of 2008 Mike suffered a fatal heart attack, and the future of Shadow Gallery was unclear. Eventually the band decided to push ahead, but one thing would be clear, Mike and his voice could not be replicated. The band set forth to finish their album with a new singer, and a new identity, while honoring the memory of Mike Baker. Room V would prove to be not only the close of a story, but the close of a chapter in the band’s career. With this review I analyze the start of a new chapter in Shadow Gallery history.

What I just wrote I myself did not fully come to terms with until about a week after Digital Ghosts was released. My first reaction to the album was somewhat negative, simply because it wasn’t Mike on lead vocals. However with a few listens I came to appreciate newcomer Brian Ashland, and the fact that he wasn’t simply trying to mimic what was heard in the past. On top of that several guest appearances and the usual anthemic backing vocals provided both variety and a strong enough link to the core sound a hardcore fan was used to. However much I now appreciate Brian Ashland, my favorite vocals on the entire album probably come from bassist Carl Cadden-James and guest vocalist Clay Barton who delivers stunning up pace vocals on the albums second track, “Venom”.

The following track, “Pain”, provides one of the most addicting and stunning chorus’s in the bands entire catalog. It’s so catchy after hearing the chorus in the song the first time I can all but guarantee that you’ll be singing along the second time it comes along. I’d like to say that I was surprised by this, but it certainly is not the first time Shadow Gallery has pulled it off. Musically the album is definitely Shadow Gallery, however a bit of a new edge or spark is apparent. Oddly enough Gary Wehrkamp who is mainly known for his work on guitar and keyboards took over drums on this album for all but two tracks, but no loss of quality is noticed, which is really a credit to his already impressive abilities.

The track “Strong” features Primal Fear vocalist Ralf Scheepers on lead vocals, and Ralf certainly delivers. He keeps to a lower yet aggressive register that really suits the track well. I think most of the credit for that can go to the man primarily in charge of lyrics and vocal melodies, Carl Cadden-James.  Carl can’t really receive enough credit for how well he crafts parts not only for the band’s lead vocalist, but several guests and of course the combined voices of himself and his band mates. Carl isn’t the only one on top of his game however, there is certainly nothing big lacking from the guitars, keyboards, or drums throughout the album.

If I were forced to be picky, there are some things I’d change around on the longer tracks “With Honor”, “Digital Ghost”, and “Haunted”; however I would not say there are any major issues at all with those tracks, or this record. From the basic composition to the delivery to the solos this album is strong from top to bottom. If you are a fan of Shadow Gallery, you are going to enjoy this record, and if you’re new to the band you’re going to find plenty of things to love. If you are looking for a stunning new progressive metal release, look no further than Digital Ghosts.

Shadow Gallery wrote in 2001 that, “My legacy is how I live on”, and I’d like to think that Mike not only made for himself a great legacy that lives on through fans today, but that the band is continuing a legacy that Mike would be very proud of.

Composition: 9.5/10
Sound: 9.5/10
Musicianship: 9.5/10
Final Presentation: 9.5/10
Overall: 9.5/10 or 95%
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: [Music] Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:00:29 PM »
Nice to see you come around on this album Nick.  I would agree with that 9.5 out of 10.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:05:54 PM »
Yeah, it honestly just took 4 or 5 listens. There wasn't anything to "get" in the classic sense, just had to let go of the past...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:26:50 AM »
If I'd heard it earlier in 09 it would have made my top ten.
I'd never heard a single SG song until this album..and I love it.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
Brian Ashland really sounds like Geoff Tate.
Good album.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste