Author Topic: Epica appreciation thread  (Read 62739 times)

Offline 425

Re: Epica appreciation thread
« Reply #420 on: June 14, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »
Neither of those are among my favorites on the album, but I definitely wouldn't have minded hearing either or both. My favorites of the ones they didn't play, though, are Seal of Solomon, Twilight Reverie and Synergize.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: June 14, 2021, 08:52:18 PM »
It's a pretty long album, when was the last time they didnt play Consign to Oblivion? Song needs the wall of death lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: June 15, 2021, 02:01:29 PM »
Love how Simone retweeted me this morning:

Loved listening to @SimoneSimons talk about Epica's 20 year journey from their first song Cry For the Moon, and it reminded me that the first concert I ever live streamed was their 10th anniversary Retrospect show! Live streaming has come a long way!

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1404607247083315202

Offline 425

« Reply #423 on: September 08, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »
EPICA SET TO RELEASE ‘ΩMEGA ALIVE’ + ANNOUNCES PREMIERE OF “UNCHAIN UTOPIA”

In June this year, we unleashed a monument to our music and our career – our worldwide streaming event, ΩMEGA ALIVE. It was the show of your wildest dreams, brought to life by 40 artists – what some people described as “Marvel meeting Cirque de Soleil in a Tim Burton universe!”

Tailor-made videos, graphic effects, spectacular pyro effects, rain, dancers, choirs and actors all added to the aura of symbolism and cinematic splendor that brought fans from over 100 countries flocking to their screens to witness a show that became the biggest concert event of our history.

Coen Janssen, the mastermind behind the the show’s concept, explains:

“What we wanted to do was the ultimate EPICA show where we could fulfill every dream we ever had, where there was room for all the ideas, effects and props that are just too big to be taken on tour. Far from your usual streaming concert, the band developed a trademark feature called a living backdrop. We built another stage right behind our stage where lots of things were going on the whole time. And we meant that very literally. Every song got something extra, something unique that was fitting its world.”

ΩMEGA ALIVE releases December 3, 2021 and will be available in the following formats:
BluRay + DVD
2CD Digipak
Boxset incl. CD-version of the Earbook, 5x 10'' Picture Vinyl (Zoetrope vinyl)
Earbook incl. DVD + BluRay + 3LP (Light Green Vinyl)
Earbook incl. DVD + BluRay + 2CD
3LP (Black Vinyl)
3LP (Glow in the Dark, Band Store Exclusive)
3LP Clear + White Marbled in Trifold (EMP Exclusive)
3LP White with Sun Yellow + Black in Trifold (Netherlands + Belgium Exclusive)
3LP Sun Yellow in Trifold (NB Mailorder + Wholesale Exclusive)
3LP Clear + Green + Black Splatter (NB Mailorder Exclusive)
2CD/BluRay (USA Exclusive)
2CD/DVD (Mexico + Brazil Exclusive)

Directed by Jens de Vos (Panda Productions) and graced with the magical artwork of Stefan Heilemann (Heilemania), the DVD, BluRay, CD and vinyl contain 15 EPICA classics, fan-favourites, as well as first-ever live performances from tracks off the band’s latest chef-d’oeuvre, ΩMEGA, such as “The Skeleton Key” or the insanely monumental, “Kingdom of Heaven Part 3.”

Just got this email. I'm very happy they are releasing this; it was a really great show and impressive production and I'll be glad to own it. It's wild to me how many versions of these things get released nowadays—I don't really see the point in getting both the Blu-Ray and the DVD, so I think I'll be looking for that 2CD/Blu-Ray set.

As a reminder, here's the tracklist. A ton of recent stuff that hasn't gotten a live release yet, including In All Conscience, which was just a bonus track on TQE. Also probably the biggest song from the first five albums not to have a live version yet in Kingdom of Heaven. The only songs we're getting repeat versions of are The Obsessive Devotion and Cry for the Moon.

1. Alpha - Anteludium
2. Abyss of Time - Countdown to Singularity
3. The Skeleton Key
4. Unchain Utopia
5. The Obsessive Devotion
6. In All Conscience
7. Victims of Contingency
8. Kingdom of Heaven - A New Age Dawns Part V
9. Kingdom of Heaven, Part III - The Antediluvian Universe
10. Rivers - A Capella
11. Once Upon a Nightmare
12. Freedom - The Wolves Within
13. Cry for the Moon
14. Beyond the Matrix
15. Omega - Sovereign of the Sun Spheres

They're premiering the video of Unchain Utopia later today: https://youtu.be/c8XdrOhEZl0
And if spirit's a sign,

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: September 08, 2021, 10:24:14 AM »
The livestream was good, but I see no reason to buy this after having paid already to watch it.  This should be included as a bonus on a future live release IMO. 

Offline 425

« Reply #425 on: September 08, 2021, 03:06:43 PM »
I understand that perspective, but I definitely want to own it, and under the special set of circumstances, I don't mind paying for it twice. I wouldn't want to make a regular habit of it, but I don't mind going along with these like this to give a little help to bands I like during a period when they have literally been unable to do their most financially beneficial activity.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #426 on: September 08, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
I like owning the physical product.  AND I missed the stream.  So I'm planning on buying this for sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: September 08, 2021, 04:10:01 PM »
I usually like owning the blu-ray, but this just isn't a normal concert where I feel like I'll be watching it over and over.  I think not being in front of an audience doesn't give it the same replay value for some reason.  Same with owning the CDs, it'll just feel like a studio album.  I don't know, I love Epic and thought the show was great.  I just feel like I won't really be watching it the same way I still occasionally watch Retrospect.

If I didn't buy the live stream, I almost certainly would buy the blu-ray to be able to watch it at least once.  I know you all will enjoy it though, so this is just my thoughts on the money side of things, not so much on the product.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #428 on: January 12, 2022, 03:01:56 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: January 12, 2022, 03:09:54 PM »
Yeah, can't say I care to join it, but at the same time I can understand bands trying new things to generate income. They aren't the first to go to Patreon and won't be the last.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #430 on: June 03, 2022, 08:59:31 PM »
Bunch of new (old) releases coming out. A box with the first 2 albums, and We Will Take You With Us and The Score. A 2006 show from Paradiso on CD/Blu.

Plus combos of it all and whatever.

https://bravewords.com/news/epica-to-celebrate-20-years-with-we-will-take-you-with-us-box-set

https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/shop/item/groups/51000.1.html?article_group_sort_type_handle=rank&custom_keywords=Epica
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline 425

« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2022, 11:18:59 AM »
Saw this yesterday. It's perfect for me because the first two albums are two of the three studio albums I don't have yet, and I'm a big fan of their live performances.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #432 on: June 04, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »
Saw this yesterday. It's perfect for me because the first two albums are two of the three studio albums I don't have yet, and I'm a big fan of their live performances.

Same.  First one I bought was The Divine Conspiracy, and I never went back and bought the old stuff.  I don't really feel a compelling need to do so, but with the bonuses in this set, as long as it is priced decently, sounds like a good incentive to pick it up.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: June 04, 2022, 04:22:39 PM »
The Paradiso release is huge for long time epica fans. That was recorded so long ago and never released I believe due to label reasons. Glad it's coming to light and it looks like it'll be in very nice quality judging by the new youtube video from it. Definitely buying that cd/blu ray combo.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #434 on: June 19, 2022, 08:53:28 AM »
I have these two Epica books for sale

-An Essence of Epica Signature Edition $75
-An Essence of Epica Classic Edition $50

Shipping within the US $10 each, can combine shipping (excess shipping will be refunded).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2022, 06:42:39 PM »
I saw Epica last Sunday on the final show of their tour opening for Sabaton in NYC.  I wrote more about it in the concert thread, but I wanted to share this video:

Epica - Beyond The Matrix LIVE @ Hammerstein Ballroom New York City NY 10/23/2022

What an awesome crowd jumping for this song and that kick by Simone at 4:45 is epic!  :lol Also met Mark at their merch stand during Sabaton's set.  He seemed very happy and very nice to chat with quickly.  Overall, they were really good even as an opener.  Great set and performance. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: November 13, 2022, 05:43:01 PM »
Just got The Alchemy Project.  Really good stuff here. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #437 on: November 13, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »
Haven't gotten to the whole thing yet, but the track with Charlotte Wessels and Myrkur and the track with Speed Strid are nice.  Crazy amount of talent there. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #438 on: December 16, 2022, 10:05:21 AM »
New song Apocalyptica & Epica - Rise Again
It's really only Simone though...
https://youtu.be/cEgsUUhqdlg

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #439 on: February 04, 2024, 06:07:39 AM »
I bought two tickets for the Amsterdam show with orchestra and choir this year. Based on recent live footage and that past release with orchestra, Retrospect, this should be a good one!

I assume this will become another release at some point? Despite them having many recent live releases. Three shows with orchestra/choir is quite an undertaking. They play two of these shows in The Netherlands and one in Mexico.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: February 04, 2024, 10:35:05 AM »
I bought two tickets for the Amsterdam show with orchestra and choir this year. Based on recent live footage and that past release with orchestra, Retrospect, this should be a good one!

I assume this will become another release at some point? Despite them having many recent live releases. Three shows with orchestra/choir is quite an undertaking. They play two of these shows in The Netherlands and one in Mexico.

I'm hoping for a release as well, was thinking it could be the Mexico show though, but that's just my guess since they recently released a bunch of live footage from a recent Amsterdam AFAS show.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #441 on: February 04, 2024, 04:03:56 PM »

I'm hoping for a release as well, was thinking it could be the Mexico show though, but that's just my guess since they recently released a bunch of live footage from a recent Amsterdam AFAS show.

Yeah, would make sense to me, as they are playing in fron of 10k people there (assuming ticket sales are going well). Would be nice.

Amsterdam does have two shows and I assume a local orchestra, which does help with prep and backups for mistakes. But the band did not need that in the past, offcourse. This is the first time they do three of these shows, I think. But I assume they will use a Mexican orchestra for the show over there. Would be nuts if they don't record it.

Looking forward to it. The AFAS live recording of last year is good (though more of an EP I think?). I live close to AFAS but missed them last time. For me it is a walk to the venue, which is nice  ;D (good place to live for events, Ziggodome and Arena are there as well). First time seeing Epica live, actually.