Author Topic: Epica appreciation thread  (Read 62889 times)

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
Re: Epica appreciation thread
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »
WHOA just listening to Imperial March. My god its good!!!!!

LOL the spotify advert that came on half way through was of someone singing "oops i did it again" in an opera style with a live orchestra. I thought it was on the album until the voiceover came on telling me about when this tv show is on!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:17:52 PM by TimmyHiggy »
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »
:lol

I had it playing the other day through my computer when my boss came in to talk to me about some stuff.  The look on his face when he realized what he was hearing was amusing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
I would kill to see that stuff live >:(

Offline Chaotic_AK

• The DT Fan from Fairbanks
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2010, 05:50:27 PM »
They're definitely one of the bands of the symphonic metal genre. Their new album, Design Your Universe, is definitely their best to date (along with The Phantom Agony).

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »
I heard some songs from the album on YouTube, and I love, love, love, love, love, love the Pirates of the Caribbean piece they did. Fuckin  :metal

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
I have to say one thing about their new album:

Kingdom Of Heaven :hefdaddy

That is all.

Offline faemir

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »
I heard some songs from the album on YouTube, and I love, love, love, love, love, love the Pirates of the Caribbean piece they did. Fuckin  :metal

:metal

I have to say one thing about their new album:

Kingdom Of Heaven :hefdaddy

That is all.

:metal

(a couple more   :metal :metal for good luck)

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 07:14:03 AM »
Listening to design your universe.

Tis good. The growls are better on this one, although the albums concept is a bit stupid...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »

Tis good. The growls are better on this one, although the albums concept is a bit stupid...

Well, Ariën did secondary growls to give them a 'fuller' sound.

Offline faemir

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »

I've never had a problem with his growls. But yes, the concept is very lol-worthy.

Offline snowhite

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 06:20:30 AM »
Bwuuh Epica... I find them terrible really. I used to quite like them, but then (well, when I saw them live) I finally figured out that nothing redeems Mark's terrible vocals, and that they try to just be too many things at once. Design Your Universe is a step up, but it's trying so hard to be brutal and rips off so many bands in the process, I don't understand  ???.

Simone has a nice voice. And I love Sancta Terra and Fools of Damnation.

Good symphonic metal = Nightwish. Imo :).

Offline faemir

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 08:16:25 AM »
I think there is a significant difference between Nightwish and Epica's style though, to compare them doesn't feel right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 08:22:18 PM »
she'll be in St.Paul on Saturday.

Offline faemir

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »
 :tup

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2010, 04:48:58 AM »
God bless boobs.
<br />

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
Design Your Universe is slowly becoming my favorite album from them. Everything on it is just done so much better from their previous releases.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »
Design Your Universe is slowly becoming my favorite album from them. Everything on it is just done so much better from their previous releases.

I thought a few songs were good, but most of them just struck me as blande. Also, the "talking" parts just make me want to kill myself.

However, the picture in the booklet of Simone in the water could possibly be the sexiest pic of anyone ever. I looked for it online but couldn't find it, if someone can, post it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »

I thought a few songs were good, but most of them just struck me as blande. Also, the "talking" parts just make me want to kill myself.

However, the picture in the booklet of Simone in the water could possibly be the sexiest pic of anyone ever. I looked for it online but couldn't find it, if someone can, post it.

Well when i read a statement like that I HAVE to go hunt it down!!

<br />

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »
Yea, that second pic.

Wow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2010, 05:20:09 PM »
I also google'd the picture and I don't even like the band  :laugh:.

I hope she will be a guest during the next Kamelot tour, she was pretty awesome last time 'round.

Online Adami

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »

I hope she will be a guest during the next Kamelot tour, she was pretty awesome last time 'round.

They announced someone else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »

They did that last year as well, she still came on stage and sang a few songs though :).

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »
bumpster

someone recommended these guys today, so I am purchasing/downloading cd 1 of classic conspiracy...I liked the samples. 
the same person recommended kamelot, so I will hit them up next.  If I like cd 1 I will then get 2.

yahoo!

Offline faemir

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »
Excellent. Both awwwwesome bands!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »

They did that last year as well, she still came on stage and sang a few songs though :).

According to Kamelot's website, Simone just finished recording vocals for two Kamelot songs on thier next album.

Offline faemir

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »

According to Kamelot's website, Simone just finished recording vocals for two Kamelot songs on thier next album.

:hefdaddy

Offline Summers

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2011, 07:22:38 AM »
Anyone seeing them on the current tour?  Just saw them Thursday night in Bilston, what a night, one of the best gigs I've been to!  First Epica gig, Revamp were amazing too.  Those women can sing... 
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2011, 11:09:57 PM »
Easily my favorite of the recent slew of female fronted psudo-gothic symphonic metal bands.  I had my reservations about the growly death metal vocals on the first two albums, but Divine Conspiracy won me over.  Quite possibly one of the best albums ever written, both musically and lyrically a masterpiece (and I am usually pretty grudging when giving high compliments to lyrics).  Design Your Universe certainly didn't disappoint, and the continuation of the style established on TDC shows that the band know what works, and they intend to continue down that musical path, which is very reassuring.  However, TDC will always be THEE Epica album for me.  That album defined them in the same way Image & Words defined DT, and likewise it was an equally sublime experience.

BTW, Classical Conspiracy is also one of the best live albums of all time.  The Imperial March and the live version of Last Crusade alone make that album a must-own for any symphonic metal fan  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:54:00 AM by The Dark Master »

Offline adace

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
So as you might know, the new album is entitled "Requiem for the Indifferent." The song "Storm the Sorrow" leaked today. I won't link it here but you can just google/youtube it. Very good song imo.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
I didn't even realize they had a new album, I'm interested

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »
I posted about The Divine Conspiracy before the board crash, and figured I'd chime in again on it.  The subject matter still pisses me off.  But, musically, this has to be one of the strongest albums ever written by anyone.  I can't stop listening to it.  Simone's vocals are incredibly strong, and the music behind her is the perfect blend of heavy, epic, complex, and beautiful.  Even the troll's screamy vocals somehow don't drag it down.

Time to try a different albums perhaps? The others are still great :(

The problem is, my understanding is that even aside from the Divine Conspiracy, their lyrics tend to be openly hostile toward religion just in general.  And while I might strongly agree with them with respect to certain individual religions, a band whose lyrical content is dominated by hostility toward religion in general just isn't a band I am interested in listening to.  Shame, too, because as I said, I LOVE their sound.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
Bosky, try Mayan.  It's basically Epica, but they go after politics.

Offline faemir

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »
Listening to the new album - first listen was very 'meh', but already on listen #2 and it's sticking out a lot more. Then again, Design Your Universe was exactly the same, and it's now my favourite album by them.

It's another almost 80 minute album, they really like to get a lot on each CD don't they, perhaps that's why I find it hard to sink my teeth into initially.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
I agree with your initial assessment faemir.  I think when all is set and done though that The Divine Conspiracy will still reign as my favorite Epica album that I own at this point (Design and the new one being the other 2 I have).