Author Topic: Epica appreciation thread  (Read 61899 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Epica appreciation thread
« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Yes!! That's one thing I noticed as well, the smiling in the video.  I really really dig when a band is performing and smiling, it just gives off the feeling that they love playing this music.  It's not so normal in a music video either so that was really cool to see!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
Yes!! That's one thing I noticed as well, the smiling in the video.  I really really dig when a band is performing and smiling, it just gives off the feeling that they love playing this music.  It's not so normal in a music video either so that was really cool to see!

Then you're going to love seeing Anneke.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: July 29, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »

Then you're going to love seeing Anneke.

Oh I am already awaiting that smile, I watch enough on youtube  :biggrin:

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately, it's not that common in music. Amusingly, I find jazz players tend to smile the most and classical players tend to smile less, at least when playing live. Which kind of fits, tbh, because jazz tends to be more "casual and free" while classical tends to be more "serious and structured". Always amused me.

And, more on subject, I stumbled upon two "making of" videos (with a third on the way, apparently) they did for The Holographic Principle. There's a few snippets of the songs (I do believe) so spoilers, but it's still really interesting stuff:
Part 1
Part 2

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
Gods, I love Simone.  :heart

Yup, easily my favorite female vocalist.

As far as non-screaming types go, I'd put her below Anneke and Floor. But she's very very good.

Also, cool song. Not terribly memorable but I did like that they tried some new things with the orchestra/keyboards.

Those two are up there as well.  I just love simone's voice.  I actually don't really listen to any screaming females so I can't compare to those.

I'm actually really excited to see Anneke live for the first time this fall. I've seen Floor and Simone before.

I completely forgot another one of my favorites who has flown under the radar for the most part because she doesn't always provide lead vocals - Lee Douglas from Anathema. Just listen to her vocals on A Natural Disaster on the A Sort of Homecoming DVD. She has this amazing power that she barely touches on and in that one song she even gives it a bluesy sound. Beautiful!

Offline adace

« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2016, 07:45:03 PM »
30-second samples from the new album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SbmeC_OOYo

Sounds fantastic :tup

Online Adami

« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »
First sample: Sounds.....like typical Epica. Hopefully this isn't what the rest of the album sounds like, it's all going to blur together to me.
Second sample: Much better! Different feel, some new energy.
Third sample: Back to typical Epica
Fourth sample: Liking it, a bit different.
Fifth sample: Pretty
Sixth sample: More typical Epica
Seventh sample: Hm, not totally typical, different a little.
Eighth sample: Not bad, need to hear it in context of the song.
Ninth sample: More typical Epica :(
Tenth sample: Pretty, a bit obvious, but still pretty, obviously a tiny section of a much longer song.

All in all, a bit disappointed with how much typical Epica stuff there is, but looking forward to when they veer off.

I should note that when I say typical Epica, I just meant that it all blurs together for me. I honestly can't tell most of the songs from the last 3 or so albums apart. You could make a mix album and I'd have no idea they're from different albums. It sounds fine and pleasant, but it's just like a factory produced it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline adace

« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »
Edge of the Blade music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QLQHkj1XU

Pretty similar to their other tracks but still awesome. Can't wait for the new album!

Offline adace

« Reply #288 on: September 28, 2016, 01:21:06 AM »
Beyond the Matrix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTFsm10Z1k

Loving these songs. This is shaping up to be one of my favorite releases this year.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2016, 09:11:48 AM »
Thus far, I am not liking this album very much.  Initial impressions are that it reminds me a lot of Tarja's solo material, the two major weaknesses of which are: (1) vocals sound thin and lack power, and (2) music sounds overly processed.  That said, it is still early and I am still digesting things.  This is only my first listen-through, and I am nowhere near to shelving it yet, so my opinion could still change drastically.  But my initial, knee-jerk reaction is that I do not like it nearly as much as their earlier material.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #290 on: October 12, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »
I'm really enjoying this album!  I'd say it's probably my second favorite, after The Phantom Agony.  My favorite tracks right now are 'Beyond The Matrix,' 'Edge Of The Blade,' and 'Once Upon A Nightmare.'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: October 12, 2016, 03:03:19 PM »
I still need to get this.  Been digging the new Delain too much to start sinking my teeth into this, but I will... soon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #292 on: October 14, 2016, 11:18:26 AM »
I am really digging the bonus disk.  The main one is starting to click as well.  There are definitely some songs I don't care for at this early stage.  But some are really starting to fall into place.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: November 08, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
Finally got a few listens in and am really digging this album.  Need more listens for a thorough review, but also to add on what Bosk said, the second disc with the acoustic songs is amazing.  It boggles my mind how harsh and heavy this band can be and then do some funky acoustic stuff as well.  Their acoustic bonus tracks are starting to add up as well, soon they will have an album worth of material like that alone. (maybe they already do actually).

Also, I think this is the best sounding harsh vocals too.  I actually don't hate them and in some parts when he harmonizes the screams with simone I actually get hard.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »
So I have been having trouble putting this album down.  It's really grown on me and may become my favorite Epica album.  It's just really strong all around.  I'm really excited to see them Friday night, the set looks very heavy on the new material which is perfect.  I'm still having a hard time even ranking the songs cause there is so much depth and consistency to the album.  I also keep coming back to the acoustic tracks.  The Funky Algorithm is one of the best things Epica have done IMO.  So versatile.  :metal :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #295 on: December 01, 2016, 01:38:36 AM »
The album is growing on me. I think it's definitely better than the previous release. The Cosmic Algorithm is a good song. The rhythm is one of the more proggier sounds I've heard by them. I'm partial to Once Upon A Nightmare and Edge of the Blade.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »
The album is growing on me. I think it's definitely better than the previous release. The Cosmic Algorithm is a good song. The rhythm is one of the more proggier sounds I've heard by them. I'm partial to Once Upon A Nightmare and Edge of the Blade.

Yea all three songs are great.  Beyond the Matrix is a killer sing a long track too, love the soft spot with Simone on that one too :heart

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: December 04, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
Someone has an Epica bootleg up on Dime called Making America Epic Again.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: December 04, 2016, 11:00:52 AM »
Someone has an Epica bootleg up on Dime called Making America Epic Again.  :lol

They've been using that hashtag all tour for promotion.  The concert on Friday was AWESOME.  Such a blast.  They performed so well and the crowd was really into it.  The set was mostly new stuff and it went over really well with the crowd. 

My video of Once Upon a Nightmare

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: December 04, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the video. I almost went to the show but I was exhausted. To see Simone up close...  :heart

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #300 on: December 05, 2016, 08:51:24 AM »
Girl can sing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
I know I said it just a few posts above, but the bonus disk really is outstanding.  It is so much better than the typical "acoustic bonus disk" that artists sometimes tack onto albums (and not that those are bad).  They really did some fun, original things with these songs. 

As for the album itself, not sure if anyone else here follows them closely enough to know whether the band has commented on this anywhere, but I was wondering to myself if perhaps the different sound on this one is largely due to Isaac's influence.  Anyone know?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
Not sure, I don't really follow them that closely to answer that, but I don't find the sound to be terribly different.  To me it felt like a continued evolution from the last couple albums so while it sounds quite different from The Phantom Agony, I don't think it sounds much different than The Quantum Enigma.  But I am totally with you on the bonus disc.  It's so good and unique since they didn't just do a straight out acoustic version of the song, but actually changed the dynamics and the overall feel for the songs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2017, 05:06:13 AM »
Epica have become one of my Top 10 bands. I've been listening to them a lot lately. I think the new album is amazing. They release and album almost every two years. You would think by now they'd show signs of slowing down, but I think with this new album they took it in a different direction. You can hear more prog elements to it. It's definitely better than the previous two albums.

I was wondering how old Simone was because she looks really young. Since the band's beginning she has used those amazing operatic vocals. It winds up she was just 17 when they were working on The Phantom Agony. I think that to have that power and ability with your voice at such a young age is phenomenal. She has improved over the years. Even her live performances have been nothing short of outstanding. I remember watching some older bootlegs and I sensed an awkwardness on stage for her, almost like she was trying to break out of this introverted shell. Watching Retrospect was a whole different world. She's a pleasure to watch - obviously for multiple reasons.

I am painstakingly trying to locate their first demo, when they were known as Sahara Dust. I believe it was a two tracks including Cry for the Moon. If anyone happens to come across it, please let me know. It's not on Discogs and that was my best bet because they have almost everything.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: April 18, 2017, 07:06:24 AM »
Yea, The Holographic Principle is a bit more proggy than the last couple albums. I think it's their best overall.  I love how the band gave it a good tour too including most of the album live.  They got one more European leg and I guess they take a break before a new album?  They've been very consistent over the years. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #305 on: April 18, 2017, 07:44:39 AM »
The ONLY problem with Retrospect is that the lighting was just horrible for a video and makes it almost unwatchable in parts.  Otherwise, A+.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2017, 08:36:37 AM »
The ONLY problem with Retrospect is that the lighting was just horrible for a video and makes it almost unwatchable in parts.  Otherwise, A+.

YEAHHHHHH I like the color blue, but I feel like smurf jerked off all over the screen. Messssy.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #307 on: April 18, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
This is the direction I want Dream Theater to get back to. The heaviness of Train of Thought (but not as dark) with the symphonic element of Images and Words.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #308 on: April 18, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
I wouldn't describe Images & Words as having "symphonic elements" at all.  If anything, I think the two most recent DT albums have the most symphonic elements of any of their releases.  I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Online Adami

« Reply #309 on: April 18, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »
I wouldn't describe Images & Words as having "symphonic elements" at all.  If anything, I think the two most recent DT albums have the most symphonic elements of any of their releases.  I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Yea, I agree.

Also agree about Retrospect. Tough to watch. I really wish they made their Classical Conspiracy thing a DVD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #310 on: April 18, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
I like the performance on Retrospect better than the one on Classical Conspiracy.  Not that there's anything wrong with the latter, but I REALLY like Retrospect.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »

Yeah, I don't know why I used Images and Words as an example of symphonic. TA is certainly their most "symphonic" sounding album but it's nowhere near as prevalent as it is in Epica or Rhapsody. Can I rewind the last few minutes and start over?   ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
:lol  Sure.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
That March of the Emperor from Star Wars on Retrospect was fantastic.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #314 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:06 AM »
:lol  Sure.

It probably would have been easier to say Awake with more keyboards. :lol