Author Topic: The Beatles Thread  (Read 43468 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Beatles Thread
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2021, 10:07:48 PM »
Mrs. Orbert has been holding out on seeing Get Back.  She's a pretty heavy Beatles fan, as am I, but she thought Let It Be (the movie) was boring, and "a bunch of guys pretending to get along because the cameras were rolling" or something very close to that.  I asked her why she thought that.  I thought Let It Be did a fine job of capturing the actual vibe.  After a while, they forget the cameras are on and let it hang out.  She said because everybody knows that they all hated each other by the end, and that they were just doing it for the money.  I think I strained actual muscles throughout my body trying to find a polite way to tell her that she's out of her fucking mind if she thinks that that's the case.  They were the greatest band in the world at the time and certainly didn't need the money.  There's a slight chance that they were "just" doing it for the music, and their mutual love of music and love of playing together was enough to overcome their supposed mutual hatred of each other.  But basically it just doesn't make sense.  If it had truly reached the point where they all hated each other, the band would not agree to some crazy idea to sequester themselves in a room for weeks, write enough new songs from scratch to play a live concert, and do it.

Anyway, I finally asked her tonight if she wasn't interested at all, because I'd like to watch it and can just do it sometime when she's not around.  She was up for it, on something like a trial basis.  We watched the first hour tonight (Days 1-3).  We'll probably watch it in one-hour chunks, or thereabouts.

I thought it was great, what I've seen so far.  Actually watching the conception and development of songs that I know as finished products is strange but really cool.  And the quality of the footage is incredible.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2021, 10:56:22 PM »
Looks like Disney + is the only place to watch this, so I guess I won't be watching it after all.  I do not have Disney + and have no interest in giving them any money.  Bummer.

I think you can claim a free trial watch it and cancel the trial. Of course only you want to watch it.

Offline -teo

« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2021, 04:55:47 AM »
The Beatles: Get Back on Disney+ is stunning!
I found this article named "The Beatles: Get Back is Peter Jackson's new Lord of the Rings"

The site is in italian but google translate it's kinda good: https://screenworld-it.translate.goog/streaming/the-beatles-get-back-nuovo-il-signore-degli-anelli-peter-jackson/?_x_tr_sl=it&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=it
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:01:08 AM by -teo »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2021, 07:58:19 AM »
Mrs. Orbert has been holding out on seeing Get Back.  She's a pretty heavy Beatles fan, as am I, but she thought Let It Be (the movie) was boring, and "a bunch of guys pretending to get along because the cameras were rolling" or something very close to that.  I asked her why she thought that.  I thought Let It Be did a fine job of capturing the actual vibe.  After a while, they forget the cameras are on and let it hang out.  She said because everybody knows that they all hated each other by the end, and that they were just doing it for the money.  I think I strained actual muscles throughout my body trying to find a polite way to tell her that she's out of her fucking mind if she thinks that that's the case.  They were the greatest band in the world at the time and certainly didn't need the money.  There's a slight chance that they were "just" doing it for the music, and their mutual love of music and love of playing together was enough to overcome their supposed mutual hatred of each other.  But basically it just doesn't make sense.  If it had truly reached the point where they all hated each other, the band would not agree to some crazy idea to sequester themselves in a room for weeks, write enough new songs from scratch to play a live concert, and do it.

Anyway, I finally asked her tonight if she wasn't interested at all, because I'd like to watch it and can just do it sometime when she's not around.  She was up for it, on something like a trial basis.  We watched the first hour tonight (Days 1-3).  We'll probably watch it in one-hour chunks, or thereabouts.

I thought it was great, what I've seen so far.  Actually watching the conception and development of songs that I know as finished products is strange but really cool.  And the quality of the footage is incredible.

Look, I'm a die-hard Beatles fan, and this is sort of holy grail for me.  I can't quite keep up with Portnoy and Morse with their "Beatles games", but I'm close enough for shouting.

So I've read into this and I've sort of been aware of the backdrop of "Get Back" (the original album) and "Let It Be" for a while.  I've seen the original Let It Be numerous times, and in fact ripped a fair amount of the audio to my iPod.

I think black-and-white "They hated each other", "they did it for the money" is insufficient to explain the complicated dynamic of ANY band, let alone The Beatles, who, at the time, literally experienced something that no other humans - perhaps Elvis - experienced.   I think we can't down play the nature of family; I know that I always LOVE my family but don't always LIKE them.  I know that my family doesn't always do exactly what I want them to do when I want them to do it.  I've read enough by guys like Mark Lewisohn (who has had almost unprecedented access to the raw materials of the Beatles catalogue over the years, including the raw Michael Lindsay-Hogg footage from Twickenham Studios.   By most accounts, the acrimony and hate wasn't there.  There was friction, there was that uncomfortableness of people working in close proximity but who have grown apart to a degree over the years.     It's like plants, right?  You can place the bulbs neatly at 3" intervals in a straight line, but as they grow, the stems and branches and leaves don't conform to that structure and some grow left, some grow right, some grow faster than others...  but they are still plants.   

In the footage I've seen, their joy at playing music - especially John, who is tough to read sometimes, and George, who can be a miserable f*** at times - is deep and strong.   They really do shed a lot of the bullshit once the music starts, and that is to be expected.  They may not be the best pure musicians in the world (though they are better than they get credit for, IMO) but they are battle-tested and at that time, only THEY knew what they had been through, only THEY had that internal language that people develop in their trials by fire.

McCartney is the only one that has ever shown any real affinity for the business side of things, or the money; but I well and truly believe that for him, the music is pure.  He may be a pro at the promotion of that music, in being a fan for over 40 years I see little that indicates Paul sees his music as PRODUCT.   That's not to say he doesn't like when people LIKE his music, but that's different to me than simply wanting a paycheck.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2021, 08:28:02 AM »
Totally agree.  I love the look into the creative process most of all, followed closely by simply being impressed by their musicianship.  One person starts playing something and the others just jump in.  Very tight.  The look into the interpersonal dynamics is interesting, but I'm not really blown away by that because it's pretty much like any band I've been in.  Every once in a while I have to remind myself that this isn't just any band; this is the fucking Beatles.  But they're still just hanging out and jamming and writing songs like any other band.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »
I'm only the most casual fan but I'd been looking forward to paying Disney a few pounds to watch this.

Saw the first 40 minutes last night and several random thoughts spring to mind now: 1) the warning about smoking before it started was unintentionally hilarious. I don't smoke but really?, 2) 40 minutes absolutely flew past, 3) you can see, and feel, the love and admiration between Paul and John, and 4) George had almost zero faith in his own ability.

Mesmerising, spellbinding stuff.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2021, 09:40:30 AM »
Orbert let us know if Mrs. Orbert’s perspective changes at all over the course of viewing.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2021, 10:33:42 AM »
I'm only the most casual fan but I'd been looking forward to paying Disney a few pounds to watch this.

Saw the first 40 minutes last night and several random thoughts spring to mind now: 1) the warning about smoking before it started was unintentionally hilarious. I don't smoke but really?, 2) 40 minutes absolutely flew past, 3) you can see, and feel, the love and admiration between Paul and John, and 4) George had almost zero faith in his own ability.

Mesmerising, spellbinding stuff.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be George Harrison. Remember, he was the sort of "younger brother" to Paul, and John was Paul's friend.  I know me, and even though personality-wise I could be friends with someone like Paul (i.e. older, more accomplished, more famous, more recognizable), I can't imagine I'd ever get over the fact that my two touchstones for guitar, singing and writing are PAUL FUCKING McCARTNEY and JOHN FUCKING LENNON.   

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2021, 11:41:08 AM »
Orbert let us know if Mrs. Orbert’s perspective changes at all over the course of viewing.

I thought it was fascinating, but I glanced over at her a few times, and she seemed bored.  I stopped it after Day 3, about an hour into it, and said that that was a good place to stop for now.  Don't want to burn through the whole thing too quickly.  We switched to something else.  Next time we sit down to watch TV, probably this weekend, I'll get a better idea of how it's going over.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2021, 10:12:04 PM »
This thread is interesting and not what I was expecting. I am more of a casual Beatles fan and my wife even less so - but we loved this! We binged it last weekend and I've gone through it again since then. I only wish there was more.

Even if you aren't so much a Beatles fan, just seeing the creative process happening is truly fascinating. The idea of something coming out of thin air and becoming Get Back. Get Back is a great song Kev - you are wrong!

Loved seeing Billy Preston and how the room dynamic totally changed when he arrived. Also neat seeing a young Alan Parsons there - he looks like a baby!

And with the police coming in to stop the show at the end was a nail-biter, even though we know the ending. The crew really saved that performance.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2021, 01:29:41 AM »
The idea of something coming out of thin air and becoming Get Back. Get Back is a great song Kev - you are wrong!

I saw that part last night. Wasn't it wonderful? I knew it was coming at some point because of Stad's comment further up the page but you could tell even from the earliest idle strumming what it was going to morph into since there was the barest nascent familiarity immediately. And yes, Get Back is indeed a great song :lol
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:02:58 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2021, 03:07:10 AM »
I was never crazy about the song Get back. Yet, seeing the band totally getting into it and rocking out to it on the roof made me appreciate some aspects of it. It's not a bad song by any means.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2021, 10:59:35 AM »
I'd been looking forward to Get Back after seeing teasers and I finally got Disney+ last night and watched the first 45 or so minutes. 

The film quality is incredible.  I like how Jackson included the little subtitles telling who people were and what song (or snippets) were being played.  I for one am not familiar enough with all the music they ran through (covers especially) to identify each piece.

It's sad seeing how frustrated George was.  You can tell he had mixed love/hate feelings toward Paul.  George was definitely the one who needed the inevitable split the most.

Watching the chemistry between Paul and John is just amazing.  The very definition of musical soulmates who were inspired by and lit a spark in the other.  Ringo was obviously burnt out on being a Beatle by that point, but still enjoying being a part of the creative process.

What they undertook for this project (to write and arrange an entire album's worth of new songs from scratch and be ready to perform them in front of an audience *in less than a month's time*) seems incredible compared to today's standards where everything takes forever.  And to know it's all being filmed had to add even more pressure.  Besides everything else they pioneered, you could say The Beatles made the first "reality TV" show as well.  And it's one that's actually worth watching.

Thinking I may watch just an hour of this a day to extend the first viewing experience (if I can resist the urge to binge).  It's a fascinating piece of musical history.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »
I'm thinking this weekend I take the plunge.  SO EXCITED for this.

I have a long flight on Monday; is there a way of accessing Disney+ in that environment, you think?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #259 on: December 02, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »

I have a long flight on Monday; is there a way of accessing Disney+ in that environment, you think?

Good question.

Looks like you can download it on the app so if you have a laptop/tablet, you can download them ahead of the flight and watch them on that. I am unsure if flights have disney + options on their own screens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #260 on: December 02, 2021, 01:30:23 PM »

Good question.

Looks like you can download it on the app so if you have a laptop/tablet, you can download them ahead of the flight and watch them on that. I am unsure if flights have disney + options on their own screens.

What Adami said. I did this for my daughter for some shows on Disney+, just be aware sometimes there is a quirk where you need to sign in to your account online before you can view your offline downloads. They may or may not have this fixed now but that was a real sore point once when we couldn't log in the Disney app on the plane because it had no wifi just to view your downloaded files.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2021, 09:00:12 PM »
We watched Part 2 in two sessions this weekend.  Mrs. Orbert is still on board.  She's still on her phone the whole time, playing or texting or whatever she does, but she does that when we watching TV at least half the times.  It used to drive me crazy; now I just think it's kinda dumb.  But that's just me.  I'm not a big TV/movies kinda guy, so if I make the decision to sit on my butt and watch something, I give my full attention.  Otherwise, why bother?  She clearly is fine dividing her attention.  She calls it multitasking.  Po-tay-toe.

Anyway, I'm still digging it, and she's still on board, so... cool.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: December 07, 2021, 09:33:52 PM »
The way things worked out....will be watching part 3 on December 8th.  That is going to be more than emotional.

To think that John will now have been gone longer than he was alive......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2021, 10:05:03 PM »
Finished Part 3 tonight.  Wow!  Those guys were amazing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »
More time has passed since Lennon's assassination than how old he was when he died. RIP

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2021, 12:27:40 AM »
So I got Disney+ subscription only to find out the doc is not on Disney+ anymore atleast not in sweden and I can't find any reason why since it's clearly says the premiere was 25th november in Sweden but no info that it was a timed exclusive or something.  :-\

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2021, 03:06:50 AM »
So I got Disney+ subscription only to find out the doc is not on Disney+ anymore atleast not in sweden and I can't find any reason why since it's clearly says the premiere was 25th november in Sweden but no info that it was a timed exclusive or something.  :-\

That can't be right. Is some form of parental control on? (There is swearing in the doc). Otherwise give Disney+ support a mail. It would be odd for them to remove something they produced (in collaboration) so soon.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »

That can't be right. Is some form of parental control on? (There is swearing in the doc). Otherwise give Disney+ support a mail. It would be odd for them to remove something they produced (in collaboration) so soon.
Yea it's a bit of a mystery but I will check tonight if it's a setting issue.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline frogprog

« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2021, 06:20:35 AM »
Mr. Boom,
i watched part 2 again last night so at least in the US it's definitely still available

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2021, 03:23:53 PM »
More time has passed since Lennon's assassination than how old he was when he died. RIP

I hadn't noticed ;)

Part 3 of the special was so damn fascinating, as well as irritating.  I wanted to hear the rooftop concert uninterrupted, as they screwed the pooch on the boxset.  Would have loved to have had it presented as in the special (which was fun to see how they delayed the bobbies, the street interviews, etc), and then, as a bonus feature, the concert as it took place.  Damn, they sounded so frickin' good.

It was fascinating to see them all just jam in other parts, especially seeing John putting his guitar up to the amps for feedback, but sadly then hearing Yoko screech.  And then young little Heather Eastman mimicking and sounding better;-)

The 'germs' that led to 'Get Back', 'The Long And Winding Road', 'Something', 'All Things Must Pass', 'Gimme Some Truth', 'Octopus' Garden', 'I Dig A Pony' ('All I Want Is You'), 'Polythene Pam', 'I Want You', 'Old Brown Shoe'......gave us goosebumps.   :tup  And the interplay throughout, was just a dream x10.  Ringo on the piano, Ringo admiring Paul playing piano, Billy Preston throughout, etc etc.  A shame that tracks such as 'Sally Parker' and not more are not made availabe to the consuming public, is a pure shame.

I know that there is approximately another one hundred hours that we were not privy to.  And, no doubt, Yoko and Paul prevented some of it being made available.  But, damn, what a joy!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline HOF

« Reply #270 on: December 10, 2021, 03:45:30 PM »
Just received Yellow Matter Custard - One More Night in New York City via a sale at MP.com. I only own two actual Beatles albums, but I'm pretty sure I've heard 90% of these songs (it's 40 songs, all unique from the set they did at the first show). It's amazing how familiar so much of The Beatles' music is. Like I just picked it up via cultural osmosis.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: December 10, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »
Mr. Boom,
i watched part 2 again last night so at least in the US it's definitely still available
I sorted it out, I was a dum dum. It was actually parental control. I needed to make a second profile in order to get access to the settings for that.

Thx ErHaO!

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #272 on: December 10, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
Just received Yellow Matter Custard - One More Night in New York City via a sale at MP.com. I only own two actual Beatles albums, but I'm pretty sure I've heard 90% of these songs (it's 40 songs, all unique from the set they did at the first show). It's amazing how familiar so much of The Beatles' music is. Like I just picked it up via cultural osmosis.

YMC was my gateway drug into appreciating the depth of The Beatles catalog, it’s perfect for that, enjoy!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »
I actually never knew about The Beatles and Apple Corps and the whole Apple Corps v. Apple Computer beef. I don't know why I find it funny but there's something hilarious about two companies having such an obvious trademark issue given their chosen names.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #274 on: December 18, 2021, 09:20:32 PM »
A little late this but I've been waiting on this for a very long time and did it ever deliver.  Just to see the context this was in and the pressure-cooker they were under and the crap coming at them from all sides. Then to see the moments when these songs that we've lived with in our whole lives were germinated totally amazes me. This just destroys the perception that The Beatles were this mythical legend that crapped out great songs at will. To see the work and effort involved and the interpersonal relationships is a totally normal thing that got overshadowed because they were "The Beatles."

Can't was for a DVD release of the Director's Cut.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2021, 08:29:06 AM »
Finally finished EP 1  . . . just to reiterate what everyone is saying, watching McCartney pull genius, legendary songs out of thin air is chill-inducing. What a freakin' alien.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2021, 09:40:56 AM »

I was at that show, awesome night. I actually had a brief conversation with MP once about how much it speaks to the Beatles catalogue that they could put on two separate shows, almost 80 songs between them, and still not touch so many of the "big" songs (Hey Jude, Something, Yesterday, etc...)
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2022, 07:29:47 AM »
I listened to the 50th anniversary version of Sgt. Pepper this past week.   Generally, demos and alternate takes are hit or miss, but listening to John and Paul (and sometimes both) build up the songs you know SO WELL is just priceless.  The various versions of Strawberry Fields are amazing to hear. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2022, 08:34:54 PM »
I'm just wrapping up episode 3 right now, after starting last night with episode 1 and continuing with episode w earlier today.

I've always loved the Beatles music but I've never fully dived into their intricate and complicated history, so seeing all of this footage is a huge treat. These guys were huge goofballs filled with egos but the talent to match.

I can't really say much more or different that what others have said here already other than this has really gotten me in the mood to spin some Beatles this weekend. I kind of wish there was an entire series of documentary films like this, by Peter Jackson, that covers all of The Beatles' history, like the opening bit of this documentary but stretched out to cover *everything*. I'd watch it, no matter how long it was!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2022, 10:19:40 AM »
I'm just wrapping up episode 3 right now, after starting last night with episode 1 and continuing with episode w earlier today.

I've always loved the Beatles music but I've never fully dived into their intricate and complicated history, so seeing all of this footage is a huge treat. These guys were huge goofballs filled with egos but the talent to match.

I can't really say much more or different that what others have said here already other than this has really gotten me in the mood to spin some Beatles this weekend. I kind of wish there was an entire series of documentary films like this, by Peter Jackson, that covers all of The Beatles' history, like the opening bit of this documentary but stretched out to cover *everything*. I'd watch it, no matter how long it was!

-Marc.

I don't know if this scratches the itch for you, but there ARE documentaries.  One was released around the time of the Anthology series; it's a five or six DVD set (I have it).   There was also a documentary - by Ron Howard of all people - regarding the live performances that is interesting.