Author Topic: The Beatles Thread  (Read 43290 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: The Beatles Thread
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2010, 07:41:58 AM »
Yeah, I can certainly say it's not their best, but I do believe people hate it more than it warrants.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2010, 11:03:45 PM »
And your bird can sing.. second take.. cool color

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FPRHjNDQlk&feature=related
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2010, 06:03:23 PM »
Is the White Album underrated?  I love at least half of the tracks on the album (validating my oft-espoused argument that it should've been only one disc), yet all I hear is people trashing it, at least in the Beatles circles I run in.
I finally upgraded my single-file download of the White Album to an actual bought version this week.

To me, it's by far their best album. It's the only Beatles album where I find a large majority of the songs really good, and not somewhere between plain good and plain rubbish. Considering how many more tracks it has than their other albums, that's a tad extraordinary.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
I was listening "Here Comes The Sun" as I saw this thread.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2010, 07:12:09 PM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
So this is a great article regarding the conspiracies behind the stunt doubles in the cases of "Paul is dead, man. Miss him, miss him, miss him!", Bob Dylan and Brian Jones.

https://listverse.com/2011/06/11/top-15-oddities-of-mccartney-dylan-and-the-stones/

I was aware of the whole joke behind The Beatles case, but didn't know it went to this kind of level. What do you guys know about this? (I guess you can also chip in with Dylan's and The Stones case too.)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
I'll just say that I don't believe any of it, but if it's true and some guy has been masquerading as Paul McCartney for the last 45 years, then he's written some great songs, has immense talent, and deserves everything he's earned.  By this point, it doesn't matter if he was born Paul McCartney or not.  Everything he's done since then has been him, whoever he is.

Of course, that only points out how ridiculous it all is.  Replacing one of The Beatles in 1966 is one thing.  That person going on to a long and successful solo career and career with a second band is a different story, and he did all that on his own, so more power to him.

Offline jsem

« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »
Lol. Good point.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
Bullshit. On all accounts. It says Paul McCartney died from IBS, except he was apparently found mauled to death?  :lol

And Yoko an agent of the CIA? come on!  :rollin

EDIT - "According to Wikipedia, after the death of Tara, his girlfriend, English model Suki Potier, began to date Brian Jones."

LOL!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:21:05 AM by ZBomber »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »
I mean there's the slightly more plausible proposed scenario that Paul died in a motorcycling accident, but it's all bull anyway.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »
YEAHHHHHHH NECRO!

For this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151410977215443&set=vb.77822265442&type=2&theater

And also to tell you gaiz that we seriously need to list this thread in the A-Z.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
Anyone check out The Night That Changed America?   I'm watching the encore presentation right now.   Seems pretty cool so far.

One thing my wife and I thought was really unusual.   Where is Elton John?   Normally, there is nothing that would keep Sir Elton away from anything that had to do with the Beatles.   This is something he would have MADE time for in his schedule.    I can't imagine he wasn't invited.    I can only conclude that his primadonna side is ticked at someone.   

Is there someone he doesn't get on with?   Paul?  Yoko? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Dave Grohl is just POUNDING the drumkit on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"...it's kinda funny.    Sounds like if John Bonham would've played on "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton.  :rollin

I just normally think of it as this nice "soft shoe" bluesy ballad, and Dave's the only one playing the Iron Maiden version. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2014, 04:48:44 AM »
Oh, NOW you guys start posting about it! :laugh:

Dave Grohl did a great Hey Bulldog cover, so WMGGW is forgivable. Especially when you consider how all of the rest of the cover bands were either okay or horribly disappointing. In my opinion, that was the only cover performance, with the possible exception of Something, that actually captured the essence of the Beatles.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »
I saw some of it at my parents the other day and wasn't impressed with most of what I saw.  Alicia Keys and John Legend were dreadful on Let It Me.  I hate when singers do that "I will wait till the line that is supposed to be started is half over to start singing it, and then have to hurry it, and then still be finishing it when the next line is supposed to start" crap, and they seemingly did it for the whole song.  Annoying.

McCartney busting out Hey Jude is always awesome, though. :tup :tup

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2014, 10:32:46 AM »
Let's face it: nobody does it like the Beatles.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »
True.  I've heard a number of decent covers, a few really good ones, and a whole lot of bad ones, but I don't think I've ever heard a cover of a Beatles song that I actually like more than the original.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2016, 04:14:02 PM »
Holy crap, I thought the Beatles were a much more talked about band in this forum!

I discovered the band when I was 14, in 2004 through the Rolling Stone magazine, which was constantly making Top Albums and Top Guitarists lists. Listened to them a lot in my teens, and a few years ago when I decided to give a second chance to Rubber Soul and The Beatles (two albums I had always despised).

I think, now, my favourite album is Rubber Soul - although for a long time it was Revolver - and my favourite 10 songs:

1. Please Please Me - just perfect.
2. Got To Get You Into My Life
3. You Won't See Me
4. She Said She Said
5. Baby's In Black
6. The Night Before
7. In My Life
8. Old Brown Shoe
9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Savoy Truffle

(while making this list, I realized I overall like Paul's songs much more than John's :P)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2016, 04:21:16 PM »
I have the Red "1" CD. i discovered most of their classics on there.

Calvin6s

« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2016, 04:24:44 PM »
2. Got To Get You Into My Life
I think I like the Earth, Wind and Fire version of that song even better.

There are just some songs that feel like an energy drink (without the crash later).

As far as Beatles talk, it gets spread out around here.  I think it was KevShmev that had a thread that either was or turned Beatles centric just a couple of months ago.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2016, 07:34:20 AM »
I'll just say that I don't believe any of it, but if it's true and some guy has been masquerading as Paul McCartney for the last 45 years, then he's written some great songs, has immense talent, and deserves everything he's earned.  By this point, it doesn't matter if he was born Paul McCartney or not.  Everything he's done since then has been him, whoever he is.

Of course, that only points out how ridiculous it all is.  Replacing one of The Beatles in 1966 is one thing.  That person going on to a long and successful solo career and career with a second band is a different story, and he did all that on his own, so more power to him.

I'm late to this, but I'm a HUGE Beatles fan; if someone asks my favorite band, I almost always say "The Beatles".  Over 400 concerts in my life and the only time I ever cried was in Philly in 2010 when Paul stood on stage (after playing almost 2 hours nonstop) and played "Yesterday".  It's a song I sang to my daughter to get her to fall asleep and to hear the legend play it... I stood there midway back on the floor and wept like a baby.    Anyway, I've felt it's my duty as a parent to at least introduce her to the Beatles, so about six months ago, I started playing her some things.  And part of that was showing her the "nuggets" (like some of the backwards stuff).  I played Strawberry Fields to show her the edit (about 1:02 into the song, the drums radically change; it was the splicing of two separate takes together) and the "I... buried... Paul..." (or "Cran...berry... sauce" if you will) played.  So we went into that.  I spent almost an hour and a half going through the Paul is Dead thing, and she was FASCINATED.  Absolutely mesmerized by the clues and the phenomenon, and the kicker...  she ended up listening to an hour and a half of Beatles and she loved it.   

It's so cool to see someone awaken to something like that, and it's even cooler to know that most of that music was made not only before SHE was born, but before I was born (I was born about four months after Sgt. Pepper). 

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2016, 07:48:48 AM »
It's so cool to see someone awaken to something like that, and it's even cooler to know that most of that music was made not only before SHE was born, but before I was born (I was born about four months after Sgt. Pepper). 

Cool! Maybe she'll like the Love album, then? With all the songs re-arranged/re-mixed/re-constructed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »

Cool! Maybe she'll like the Love album, then? With all the songs re-arranged/re-mixed/re-constructed.

I thought about that; I love that record, even if I don't listen to it much.  I'm in the process of hooking up my surround sound in my new house, so next might be the 5.1 mixes on the new "1" I bought. 

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2016, 08:17:03 AM »
Oh, alright.

1 was my first Beatles album of my own, in 2004. I mean, the first thing I listened to was a CD my parents had, called The Peter Sellers Tape - that bootleg of songs from The White Album that Ringo gave to Sellers. I think it was an Italian edition from 1994, and it included a brief explanation for each song (so I first learned about 'mixes', 'takes', etc.). But, 1 was all for me.

I don't think it's a nugget, but I was surprised to learn about the guitar solos in "The End" - for a long time I thought it was just George. Paul's solos are good, George's are obviously the better ones, and John... well, he did what he could :P

EDIT: I don't know if you already know this website, but https://www.beatlesbible.com is a great source of information about anything Beatles related. Maybe your daughter (and you) might find it interesting

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2016, 10:01:44 PM »
Ringo tweeted that George Martin has passed away

https://twitter.com/ringostarrmusic/status/707420462620381184

RIP  :-\

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2016, 10:24:44 PM »
I read this thread earlier, and decided I wanted to listen to 'I Feel Fine/She's A Woman' with the reverb that I grew up on.  So, I went and put on that strange Capitol 'Beatles 65' vinyl. 

Come back to this thread to post some good links and books by Mark Lewisohn, and I 'saw the news today, oh, boy....'

Thank goodness Sir George was around to guide history. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2016, 01:02:41 AM »
Nooooo.  RIP George Martin. 

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »
Beatles virgin here. What should I do to rectify this?

Insert some Beatles songs into your rectum.

Maybe he shouldn't have used the word "rectify!"
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2016, 01:42:20 AM »
I Am the Walrus...  I have so much love for that song...  :heart

Also, A Day in the Life.

If I had to name one favorite Beatles song, it would be IAtW, but it comes from an album who's title track makes me want to gouge my EARDRUMS out!!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2016, 02:18:41 AM »
I only recently got into the Beatles, I have mainly listened to Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour so far, I really love those two albums.

I Am the Walrus...  I have so much love for that song...  :heart

Also, A Day in the Life.
My two favourite songs too   :tup (though I love A Day in the Live more than I am the Walrus) I really love The Fool on The Hill, Strawberry fields forever, Piggies and Within you without you too :azn:

If I had to name one favorite Beatles song, it would be IAtW, but it comes from an album who's title track makes me want to gouge my EARDRUMS out!!
Roll up! Roll up for the magical mystery tour! Come on it's awesome, really get's you in the right mood  :D

and RIP George Martin  :-\
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:27:04 AM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2016, 03:41:31 AM »
I also quite like Magical Mystery Tour as a song as well.  That whole album is a whole lotta bangers and no mash.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2016, 04:12:07 AM »

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:45 AM »
I only recently got into the Beatles, I have mainly listened to Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour so far, I really love those two albums.

I really love The Fool on The Hill, Strawberry fields forever, Piggies and Within you without you too :azn:

Roll up! Roll up for the magical mystery tour! Come on it's awesome, really get's you in the right mood  :D

and RIP George Martin  :-\

Agree on everything but "The Fool On The Hill" - that one I don't like. "Piggies" is awesome, one of the last Beatles songs I discovered.
I have a feeling you might like this album: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_%28Beatles_album%29

Reading through the George Martin tributes in Twitter, I just found out there's a new live album of George Harrison songs performed by many different artists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Fest.

The first song in there is "Old Brown Shoe" (my favourite George song) sung by Conan O'Brien (my favourite comedian/host), so I'll probably get a copy :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:31:13 AM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »
A Day In The Life is my favorite.

Up there are:

I Saw Her Standing There
A Hard Day's Night (Billy Joel does a KILLER version of this)
Anytime At All
The Night Before
Yesterday
The Word
I'm Looking Through You
She Said She Said (Lennon starts to get weird)
Tomorrow Never Knows (Lennon IS weird)
Lovely Rita
Back In The U.S.S.R.
Glass Onion
Everybody's Got Something To Hide...
Savoy Truffle
Magical Mystery Tour
Strawberry Fields Forever (Second favorite song, probably)
"The Medley" (yes, all of it)
Slow Down
I Feel Fine
Bad Boy
Paperback Writer
Rain
Get Back
Two of Us
I've Got A Feeling
One After 909 (the early version from Anthology)

The only songs I actively dislike are "Within You Without You" and "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".  Desmond can suck it.