Author Topic: The Beatles Thread  (Read 43472 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
The Beatles Thread
« on: October 04, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
This is a thread for discussion and appreciation of what is arguably one of the most influential bands of the last century.  Intelligent critical analysis and discussion is welcome; simply coming in and saying you don't really like the Beatles is not, because it's not productive or conducive to discussion, except to reduce it to flame wars and trolling.  I for my part just want to talk about what I consider one of the most creative and unique bands of all time.

How about we start like this: how big is your Beatles collection?  Only have the Red and Blue Album compilations, Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, Please Please Me, and With the Beatles myself.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: The Beatles Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »
I only have various "best of" albums, and the White Album on tape.
I enjoy their work starting with Rubber Soul. Their first few albums were not my style; too poppy. Once they begin progressing, I found their stuff really cool.
Still, I only started getting into the relatively recently.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »
I think Here Comes the Sun is one of the greatest songs they ever wrote.  I'd say most of their best stuff is from Abbey Road, but I'm pretty sure that's the general consensus among Beatles fans.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »
I think Sgt Peppers, The White Album Disc 1, and Abbey Road were their best. Let it Be is great too. Revolution 9 ruins the entire second disc of The White Album
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »
My collection is quite ridiculous, thanks to Internet, non-illegal bootlegs.

Officially released music:
Original 1987 CD remasters
2009 mono and stereo box sets
A few compilations (Anthology, "1," Live at the BBC, etc)
A near-complete collection of their solo work - missing some live albums, special appearances and B-sides

Bootlegs:
Complete "Purple Chick" collection.  This intensive series of bootlegs (available online for free) has:
     -Deluxe editions of every album with mono and stereo "remasters" and rarities (outtakes, mixes, demos, etc)
     -A series of live recordings covering from Hamburg to Candlestick Park
     -The Complete BBC Sessions (10 CDs)
     -the complete "Get Back" sessions (83 CDs)
     -additional items (Decca auditions, early home recordings, etc)
Near-complete "Lazy Tortoise" collection - Subsidiary of Purple Chick that picks up non-studio items like interviews

In my iTunes, my collection accounts for roughly 8473 items, 16.7 days, 41.21 GB.  Timewise, it's about 33% of my music library.

VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
I'm a fairy big Beatles Fan. I'm not huge into their stuff before Rubber Soul, but I like everything after that. I own all of the main influential, and Sgt. Pepper's is one of my all-time favourite albums. Just amazing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »
My collection is quite ridiculous, thanks to Internet, non-illegal bootlegs.

Officially released music:
Original 1987 CD remasters
2009 mono and stereo box sets
A few compilations (Anthology, "1," Live at the BBC, etc)
A near-complete collection of their solo work - missing some live albums, special appearances and B-sides

Bootlegs:
Complete "Purple Chick" collection.  This intensive series of bootlegs (available online for free) has:
     -Deluxe editions of every album with mono and stereo "remasters" and rarities (outtakes, mixes, demos, etc)
     -A series of live recordings covering from Hamburg to Candlestick Park
     -The Complete BBC Sessions (10 CDs)
     -the complete "Get Back" sessions (83 CDs)
     -additional items (Decca auditions, early home recordings, etc)
Near-complete "Lazy Tortoise" collection - Subsidiary of Purple Chick that picks up non-studio items like interviews

In my iTunes, my collection accounts for roughly 8473 items, 16.7 days, 41.21 GB.  Timewise, it's about 33% of my music library.

I didn't at all expect that from DTF's resident Beatles freak. :p

I've been considering the new stereo box set...how much does it go for?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »
Apparently the box sets are delayed (STILL!) in Australia, well in my state so far I know. Ain't that a shame for fans of The Beatles?

So far I only have 2 copies of Sgt. Pepper, the latest remaster and I think the 1987 issue/remaster.

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 10:55:16 PM »
Rubber Soul  - Beautiful album
Revolver - Rocking Album
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - Innovative Classic
Magical Mystery Tour - another classic
White Album - The Beatles White album is one of the best albums of all-time
Abbey Road - My Favorite album of all-time
Let It Be - Worst "Good" Beatles album but still better than mostly anything.

The first 5 are cool and have a few good songs here and there but I'm not into them.

Plus gotta love the songs on Past Masters 1 and 2 that were never released on albums. Singles like

Let It Be, Paperback Writer, Don't let Me Down, Day Tripper.

Sig removed for being too tall.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Rubber Soul  - Beautiful album
Revolver - Rocking Album
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - Innovative Classic
Magical Mystery Tour - another classic
White Album - The Beatles White album is one of the best albums of all-time
Abbey Road - My Favorite album of all-time
Let It Be - Worst "Good" Beatles album but still better than mostly anything.

The first 5 are cool and have a few good songs here and there but I'm not into them.

Plus gotta love the songs on Past Masters 1 and 2 that were never released on albums. Singles like

Let It Be, Paperback Writer, Don't let Me Down, Day Tripper.

Also the Love album that came out a couple years ago Is probably the best compilations of all their work.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »
Dear Prudence is the Beatles song that does it for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:28:55 AM »
My favorite is Sgt. Pepper, closely followed by Let it be, Revolver and Rubber soul. Abbey road is also great. White album is overrated for having loads of filler songs.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:47:03 AM »
Dear Prudence is the Beatles song that does it for me.

I'll always have a special place for 'Something' in my wee little heart

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 01:57:02 AM »
My favourite band of all time, and the first band I ever listened to. She Loves You was the first rock song I ever heard, I was about 7-8 years old at the time. My collection consists of all their CDs (not the recent issue), Help! and A Hard Day's Night on VHS (I don't know if there are good DVD versions out there yet), and some solo albums, mostly Paul's. I am interested in getting the Anthology box set but it's so damn expensive. I'm a cheapskate, I know.

Favourite albums: Abbey Road, Rubber Soul and Revolver.
Favourite songs: Penny Lane, Paperback Writer, Something, In My Life, For No One, and many more.
Best solo carreer: Paul had the best albums, Band On The Run is one of my favourite albums ever. Never really got into John's stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 06:18:57 AM »
The great thing about the Beatles is that if you're gonna end up getting into rock as you get older, this band will usually be your first favorite band.  I remember that the first rock I was exposed to as a kid was Eric Clapton's solo work and then Cream, but the first rock band I actually remember liking was the Beatles.  I've been fascinated by their career ever since.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »
When I get some more time tonight I will take more time to participate here... I promise I wasn't just trying to show off   :)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »
Yeah I suspected as much, but you do have a very impressive collection.  I was merely pointing out that there should have been no doubting that the so-named Beatles freak would have an almost-complete collection.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »
This is a thread for discussion and appreciation of what is arguably one of the most influential bands of the last century.

Actually, that really cannot be argued.  In fact, I would say they are the most influential band of the last 100 years, and you really couldn't argue with that, either. :)

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
Yeah I suspected as much, but you do have a very impressive collection.  I was merely pointing out that there should have been no doubting that the so-named Beatles freak would have an almost-complete collection.

Perhaps "freak" is the wrong word for me to use here... bad connotation.  I'm not insane, and I listen to the Beatles about as much as I listen to any other band.  ;D

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »
White Album only has filler on the 2nd disc...Which makes sense. The whole first disc is unreal, name me a bad song on WA DISC 1?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »

Perhaps "freak" is the wrong word for me to use here... bad connotation.  I'm not insane, and I listen to the Beatles about as much as I listen to any other band.  ;D

Indeed, scholar works much better! :biggrin:

This is a thread for discussion and appreciation of what is arguably one of the most influential bands of the last century.

Actually, that really cannot be argued.  In fact, I would say they are the most influential band of the last 100 years, and you really couldn't argue with that, either. :)

Err...I suppose you're right. :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 01:30:24 PM »
I proposed to my wife with Something playing in the background.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
White Album only has filler on the 2nd disc...Which makes sense. The whole first disc is unreal, name me a bad song on WA DISC 1?

Wild Honey Pie.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 01:51:10 PM »
I have a pretty decent collection, although nothing like SirBradford.  I have all the original studio albums, both British and American versions where applicable.  Also Let It Be... Naked, the Red and Blue collections, and a couple of Purple Chick things.  I'm not big on bootlegs.  The sound quality tends to suck.

I've never been a huge fan of their earlier stuff, being mostly a proggish guy, but have been spending some time lately appreciating the early stuff.  Biggest thing that grabs me is Paul and John's amazing two-part harmonies.  "If I Fell" has that incredible harmony/countermelody.  Things like "Drive My Car".  The tri-tones on the "Beep Beep" are cool enough, but the verses have a bizarro harmony as well.  Even "Love Me Do".  It's almost a rockabilly, Everly Brothers harmony.

I like how they weren't afraid to get silly, or at least less-than serious.  "Octopus's Garden", "Rocky Raccoon", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", etc.

Then you have the proggish stuff, like "Eleanor Ribgy".  Two voices accompanied by a string quartet.  I mean, really.  Never done in pop music before, never will be done again.  (Except of course by Paul again, on "She's Leaving Home".)

I read something about how "Got to Get You Into My Life" was groundbreaking because it used horns.  I can think of a hundred songs from the 70's that had horns, but I don't know if I can think of any from the mid-60's.  Did the Beatles actually "invent" the use of horns in pop music?  I'd never thought about that.  "When I'm 64" has two clarinets.  WTF?

They were geniuses, mad geniuses.  With mad skills.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 02:13:20 PM »
I'm not overly concerned with collecting every version of every song, but if I were to purchase all of the "canon" albums (all of the UK releases plus the US version of Magical Mystery Tour) and Past Masters, would that pretty much encompass their entire catalogue?

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »
I'm not overly concerned with collecting every version of every song, but if I were to purchase all of the "canon" albums (all of the UK releases plus the US version of Magical Mystery Tour) and Past Masters, would that pretty much encompass their entire catalogue?

Yes, that's the whole catalog.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »
Alright then, Best Buy, here I come! :D

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »
So, I'll give my (summarized, of course) take on the Beatles' career in a series of posts.  Let's start with the singles.

I think the earlier stuff is a lot harder to appreciate, especially for all y'all folks with a taste for progressive rock.  All the same, try giving some of the early singles a spin (in order, if possible):
- "Love Me Do" b/w "P.S. I Love You"
- "Please Please Me" b/w "Ask Me Why"
- "From Me To You" b/w "Thank You Girl"
- "She Loves You" b/w "I'll Get You"        and ESPECIALLY...
- "I Want to Hold Your Hand" b/w "This Boy."

You will hear a progression from a band struggling to come up with material to a band who has mastered the art, in the span of just over a year!   

Later on once the band started to mature in the studio, the songs became more serious and introspective.  May I recommend the following 3 45's (released chronologically, by coincidence):
- "Day Tripper" b/w "We Can Work it Out"  (1965)
- "Paperback Writer" b/w "Rain" (1966)
- "Strawberry Fields Forever" b/w "Penny Lane" (1967).

Each record is remarkable in its own right and completely blows the previous one out of the water in terms of innovation.  Listen in mono if at all possible... this is the period when the mixes start to be ART.

Later on, you just can't go wrong with "Hey Jude" b/w "Revolution."  Two polar-opposite songs released at a crucially tenuous and sadly negative point in their career, with tons of in-fighting in the studio and business pressures after the death of Brian Epstein.  I believe this was their most successful single ever.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
Out of that list, the only songs I don't have are Ask Me Why, Thank You Girl, I'll Get You, This Boy, We Can Work It Out, and Rain.

And I don't know how easy it will be for me to find the mono, seeing as all the releases are in stereo now.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »
Beatles virgin here. What should I do to rectify this?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »

Insert some Beatles songs into your rectum.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »
Beatles Up Your Ass! :metal

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
 :rollin

I was not expecting the fruits of my joke to be that ripe.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »

Follow my posts in this thread sir.  I shall do my best to help you, and I can even guarantee you won't lose your ass virginity.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »
:rollin

I was not expecting the fruits of my joke to be that ripe.

Thanks for putting me in your sig :tup :hat