Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435699 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #4515 on: September 30, 2014, 05:33:40 AM »
TFF was probably Maiden's biggest grower.  At first I ddin't care for it but as it aged it's one I go for quite often.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4516 on: September 30, 2014, 06:38:19 AM »
TFF never grew on me.  I dont think its bad or anything, just on the bottom tier of IM albums for me.  Easily the worst of the reunion albums.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4517 on: September 30, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
I like metal that's up-tempo and riffy, which 80's Maiden certainly was. The re-union stuff is outstanding, but doesn't quite reach the heights of 1982-1988. But really, it's apples-to-oranges.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4518 on: September 30, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
It keeps growing on me, honestly. The songs I thought were good are becoming awesome (Coming home), and the songs I thought were average are becoming good (Starblind).

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4519 on: September 30, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
I really liked the Final Frontier.  The title track is good (yes, I like the repeating chorus lines, sue me), Coming Home, Starblind, Mother of Mercy, and The Way The Wild Wind Blows (I feel like I really got a great grasp on how to sing it when listening to an instrumental cover of it) are really good.  Is it better than their earlier works?  I can't tell for sure since I've been only a fan in the post-reunion era.  I will say this though.  These reunion albums are no slouches in comparison to their earlier work and I'm just thankful that these guys still churn out good work rather than reunite just for the money and nostalgia (history tours aside though).

As for the other reunion albums, well, I've heard Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death, but unless, those albums, along with Dances of Death are on Spotify, it's kinda harder for me to rate the reunion albums.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:26:05 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4520 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
The Final Frontier is their best album and is the album that finally made me a fan despite that I had heard them all the way back in the Number of the Beast days.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4521 on: September 30, 2014, 11:23:45 AM »
I don't think Final Frontier was a bad album, I would say a decent one. One of their least good Dickinson-albums, but a few redeemable songs. I thought the first half was mostly meh, but the second half or so (Isle of Avalon, Starblind and When the Wild Wind Blows especially) was really strong.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4522 on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »
I always really liked TFF. One of the stronger albums in the post-Bruce return era. Satellite 15, Coming Home, Isle of Avalon, Starblind, and When the Wild Wind Blows are all stellar songs.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4523 on: September 30, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »
I think the 2nd half of both TFF and AMoLaD are equal in quality with any of Maiden's best.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4524 on: September 30, 2014, 02:57:01 PM »

I am in that boat as well.  I actually prefer the reunion albums and consider them to be Maiden's strongest work.
I am an old school Maiden fan, but I feel the same way about the Reunion albums.

Wow, really, TAC?  Although I do love the post-Blaze era (and the Blaze era for that matter), I'd take anything from IM through to SSOASS over BNW onwards.

I feel really strongly about the Reunion albums. I think they are "next level" compared to the 80's albums, both in performances and songwriting.
I turned 20 in 1988, so Classic Maiden was so vital for me growing up. But I have been blown away by the Reunion albums. It's not just a band carrying on and extending their career. They are a driven band that has truly upped their game.

And it's great to see the love for TFF. AMOLAD is an absolute Classic Album. It's such an incredible statement. I feel that TFF is at least on par with AMOLAD, but easier on the ears. I feel that there was a progression from BNW to DOD to AMOLAD. The only problem TFF has is that there is not a progression from the previous album. I think that's where people might get messed up by it. It's not really an improvement. But personally I find it every bit as equal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4525 on: September 30, 2014, 04:35:21 PM »
I found all the reunion albums to be growers; but they are all amazing.  I would still rank BNW as my favorite of the four.

Offline 425

« Reply #4526 on: September 30, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »
I feel really strongly about the Reunion albums. I think they are "next level" compared to the 80's albums, both in performances and songwriting.

And it's great to see the love for TFF. AMOLAD is an absolute Classic Album. It's such an incredible statement. I feel that TFF is at least on par with AMOLAD, but easier on the ears.

I agree completely. Unlike you, I didn't grow up with 80s Maiden, and in fact got the reunion albums before some of the 80s albums, and I definitely agree that the reunion albums are a cut above.

I think DoD is the weak link of the four, though, myself. It seems to have more material that is perhaps subpar compared to BNW, which is quite good all the way through, though there are certainly some excellent songs on DOD. I would rank the reunion albums as follows:

1. TFF
2. AMOLAD
3. BNW
4. DOD
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #4527 on: September 30, 2014, 08:25:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBanU-AHMqg

'Sign of the Cross' always blows me away, one of their best in my book. It's a shame though, as much as I love 'The X Factor" and "Virtual XI' I just can't enjoy them as much as the reunion albums. If they had better production and Bruce on vocals, I would just be in awe of them.

Again, just to clarify, the Blaze albums are phenomenal, I'm just not a huge fan of his vocals and the production.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4528 on: September 30, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
I like metal that's up-tempo and riffy, which 80's Maiden certainly was. The re-union stuff is outstanding, but doesn't quite reach the heights of 1982-1988. But really, it's apples-to-oranges.

Agreed. Most of the reunion albums were solid (with a classic in BNW) but nowhere close the 80's stuff imo.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

« Reply #4529 on: September 30, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »

'Sign of the Cross' always blows me away, one of their best in my book. It's a shame though, as much as I love 'The X Factor" and "Virtual XI' I just can't enjoy them as much as the reunion albums. If they had better production and Bruce on vocals, I would just be in awe of them.

Again, just to clarify, the Blaze albums are phenomenal, I'm just not a huge fan of his vocals and the production.

I agree about SOC and the quality of the Blaze albums and their production. However, I actually think Blaze is underrated as a singer. Sure, he's not in Bruce Dickinson's league, but his voice is good and certainly passionate. And I can see why Steve picked him given the type of music he was going for on The X Factor. Unfortunately, Blaze was not as well suited for traditional Maiden material, which is why he isn't as good (though still good, in my opinion) on Virtual XI. And he really had trouble on the old stuff live because it was simply out of his range. I give the guy credit, though. He came into one of the biggest metal bands in the world to replace one of the most beloved singers in the genre, and damned if he didn't do his best and sing his heart out the whole time he was there, even while taking a massive amount of hate from the fans.

On the topic of Blaze, has anyone heard any of his solo albums? I have the first two and what I've noticed is that, with lines written by him specifically for his voice, he comes into his own as a singer. I would recommend his first album, Silicon Messiah. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's a solid album that really displays Blaze's talent. And it includes one song that I would regard as great in the closer Stare at the Sun. Not a must-buy, but worth looking into if you're one of those freaks who likes Blaze.

Edit: Just remembered I actually also have his third solo album, but I've only heard it once. Not as good as the first two IMO.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4530 on: September 30, 2014, 09:07:39 PM »
I think DoD is the weak link of the four, though, myself. It seems to have more material that is perhaps subpar compared to BNW, which is quite good all the way through, though there are certainly some excellent songs on DOD. I would rank the reunion albums as follows:

1. TFF
2. AMOLAD
3. BNW
4. DOD

Interestingly enough, the song Dance of Death is definitely my favorite of the Bruce-Reunion albums, with When the Wild Wind Blows aaaalmost matching it, but the album DoD itself is my least favorite of the four. Similarly, my ranking for them goes:

1. TFF
2. BNW
3. AMOLAD
4. DOD

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4531 on: October 01, 2014, 12:36:39 AM »
1. AMOLAD
2. DOD
3. BNW
4. TFF

TFF has never clicked with me. However, it took several years for AMOLAD to click with me and it's now neck and neck with Powerslave as my favorite album from them. I'm hoping that I can get into it sometime in the future. I'd be interested in seeing some of you gents give a ranking of their entire catalogue. Especially those of you that are more recent converts/fans of the band. I have a lot of emotional ties to much of their 80's output because of growing up with it ect. ect...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4532 on: October 01, 2014, 01:20:32 AM »

*snip*

This topic (like most Maiden I guess) has been discussed in depth before (not that I mind at all) but, yeah Blaze is great.  I actually prefer him singing SOC and the other songs from his era.  He just has an aesthetic that Bruce isn't able to recreate. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4533 on: October 01, 2014, 05:47:06 AM »
Yeah, I prefer Blaze on his songs too. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4534 on: October 01, 2014, 06:17:36 AM »
On the topic of Blaze, has anyone heard any of his solo albums? I have the first two and what I've noticed is that, with lines written by him specifically for his voice, he comes into his own as a singer. I would recommend his first album, Silicon Messiah. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's a solid album that really displays Blaze's talent. And it includes one song that I would regard as great in the closer Stare at the Sun. Not a must-buy, but worth looking into if you're one of those freaks who likes Blaze.

Edit: Just remembered I actually also have his third solo album, but I've only heard it once. Not as good as the first two IMO.

I really like the solo stuff from his first few albums.  His live album is also really great and he plays a few IM tunes including SotC and Virus.

Reunion album rankings:

AMOLAD
BNW
DOD
TFF

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4535 on: October 01, 2014, 06:20:11 AM »
BNW
DOD
AMOLAD
TFF
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4536 on: October 01, 2014, 06:32:19 AM »
BNW
TFF
AMOLAD
DOD

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4537 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:40 AM »
2CELLOS - The Trooper Overture

Intense is the first word that comes to mind.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #4538 on: October 24, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
Soo... can we take time to acknowledge the awesomeness that is "The Longest Day"? This is by far, my favorite Iron Maiden song. It just captures such a dark, horrifying vibe that no other IM songs achieve. When I listen to it, I don't feel like I'm listening to a song, but rather stepping foot on the battlefield itself. I think the entire AMOLAD album showcases IM's most mature sound to date, and this song just takes it to another level.

:metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4539 on: October 24, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »
Good song.  Was just listening to it yesterday and thinking about how good it is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4540 on: October 25, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
Excellent song. The way it builds with tension is incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4541 on: October 25, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
The song does a great job of giving you that battlefield feel. I like it a lot.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4542 on: October 25, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »
It's a cool song that suffers from a very poor arrangement. Instead of having the 2nd verse be more or less a repeat of the first verse, it should've been something completely different to keep the momentum moving along and the chorus repeats way too many times. Besides that, it's a really great song with an amazing instrumental section.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #4543 on: October 25, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »
Oh, and I know people tend to throw the word "epic" around too much, but I truly believe the chorus to "For The Greater Good of God" is easily one of the most epic musical arrangements I've ever heard. Christ I get chills from it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4544 on: October 25, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »
Excellent song. The way it builds with tension is incredible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4545 on: October 26, 2014, 03:56:42 AM »
It's a cool song that suffers from a very poor arrangement. Instead of having the 2nd verse be more or less a repeat of the first verse, it should've been something completely different to keep the momentum moving along and the chorus repeats way too many times. Besides that, it's a really great song with an amazing instrumental section.

I have no issue with the song at all but this makes a lot of sense and can completely understand what you are saying.

Offline krands85

« Reply #4546 on: October 26, 2014, 05:45:14 AM »
Giving AMOLAD a spin just now due to recent posts in the thread. It's been ages since I listened to it, which is a shame because it's actually one of my favourite IM albums  :metal :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #4547 on: October 26, 2014, 08:09:31 AM »
Giving AMOLAD a spin just now due to recent posts in the thread. It's been ages since I listened to it, which is a shame because it's actually one of my favourite IM albums  :metal :metal
Mah man!  :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4548 on: October 26, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
Iīm not a big fan of AMOLAD, but the good songs in it are awesome: Benjamin Breeg, Longest Day, Brighter than  Thousand Suns and These Colours DonīRun.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4549 on: October 26, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
AMOLAD is my #2 album, right behind Piece of Mind.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods