Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435557 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #4445 on: August 27, 2014, 03:35:48 AM »
Love how he portrays Steve with his signiture foot up and singing at the crowd stance, he nailed it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4446 on: August 27, 2014, 08:53:58 AM »
Lego Iron Maiden!

Rock in Rio version of "The Wicker Man" gets the Lego treatment  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKWhtmkM2eA

:clap:  Fantastic.  He nailed everything about that show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4447 on: August 27, 2014, 09:14:14 AM »
Very well done indeed. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4448 on: August 27, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
I was also very impressed at how much the Lego guy sounded like Bruce.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4449 on: August 27, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
Nicko's expression :lol

Very nicely done :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #4450 on: August 27, 2014, 09:45:49 AM »
Nicko's expression :lol
This  :lol

Some thought and time has clearly been put into this, very nice!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4451 on: August 27, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
That was so awesome and funny. The guy nailed some of my favorite moments. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4452 on: September 04, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
Nothing new, but just wanted to reiterate an old point.  Joe made the comment that he considers En Vivo! to be the definitive Iron Maiden live video.  When he first made that claim, I disputed how that could be the case since it so heavily emphasizes new material from their latest album and otherwise rehashed songs that have been done on other live compilations.  However, after buying the DVD, I quickly changed my tune.  The new songs come off VERY well in a live setting.  And the "hits" from the past are VERY well done and full of energy.  This remains my favorite Maiden live set, and they have some REALLY good ones.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4453 on: September 04, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »
Bosk, to me the best live album EVER is Maidenīs Live After Death - I bought it when I was only 11 years old, as soon as it was released, and still listein to it regularly. I know the visuals are dated these days, but itīs the classic Maiden Iīve loved from the get go, my first musical addiction, so Iīm extremely biased in this discussion...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4454 on: September 04, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »
I think all old school IM fans will say the same about LaD and while it is great, its not the same for the newer generation IM fans who fell in love with RiR like myself although RiR has been surpassed by every live release theyve had since then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4455 on: September 04, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
The best filmed one for me is Death On The Road. It's gorgeous. Problem is is that it's KILLED by Steve's horrendous editing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4456 on: September 04, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »
The best filmed one for me is Death On The Road. It's gorgeous. Problem is is that it's KILLED by Steve's horrendous editing.

Oh my...  I had heard similar comments in the past, but had never seen it.  4 minutes in, and my eyes hurt!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4457 on: September 04, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »

Oh my...  I had heard similar comments in the past, but had never seen it.  4 minutes in, and my eyes hurt!  :lol

Bosk, I've been a Maiden fan a long time and IMO DOTR is the best footage of the band on film.
But it's savagely ruined.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4458 on: September 04, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
Rock in Rio was ruined for me once someone pointed out the editing. I never noticed it and then suddenly I can't watch it anymore.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4459 on: September 04, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »
I never had a problem with RIR and the editing.  I like DOTR but Bruce sounds weak on that one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4460 on: September 04, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
The cinematography on DotR is fantastic.  The editing really does ruin it.  I would love for RiR and DotR to get re-released with new edits and put onto blu-ray.  That would be a dream come true.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4461 on: September 04, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »
The cinematography on DotR is fantastic.  The editing really does ruin it.  I would love for RiR and DotR to get re-released with new edits and put onto blu-ray.  That would be a dream come true.
Amen, brother.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4462 on: September 04, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »
Rock in Rio was ruined for me once someone pointed out the editing. I never noticed it and then suddenly I can't watch it anymore.
Hmm haven't seen RIR in a while but is it as bad as Live in Donington '92? because that I remember was a stroboscope fest in the editing room. 
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4463 on: September 05, 2014, 12:01:34 AM »
It's much much worse.

In a weird way, I kind of like the editing. It's really fast paced and captures the energy of that performance well. It's not very easy on the eyes but I usually don't pay too much attention to visuals on concert videos anyway.

Death On the Road on the other hand..they fucked that one up big time.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4464 on: September 05, 2014, 02:22:50 AM »
It's really fast paced and captures the energy of that performance well.

I will agree with this.  The fast paced editing allows the video to capture the energy very well and if I am not laying on my couch and trying to watch RiR or DotR then I dont mind the editing so much, but both concerts are hard to watch when I dont want to "feel" the energy per se and just want to enjoy the concert.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4465 on: September 24, 2014, 08:07:41 AM »
There's a thread on the DT side about their lack of spontaneity live, but at least JP can play the correct studio version of his solos. With IM about 67% of the time you're getting a solo that is different from the studio version, and that's a little too much spontaneity for me. If you don't change the lyrics, riffs, or drum beats you shouldn't change the solos either. Dave is not quite as guilty as Janick but he's getting close.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4466 on: September 24, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
There's a thread on the DT side about their lack of spontaneity live, but at least JP can play the correct studio version of his solos. With IM about 67% of the time you're getting a solo that is different from the studio version, and that's a little too much spontaneity for me. If you don't change the lyrics, riffs, or drum beats you shouldn't change the solos either. Dave is not quite as guilty as Janick but he's getting close.

Dave has gotten more guilty of that with age and I hate how he does TNOTB solo now where he just holds that one note instead of shredding.  Janick is a tad bit more understandable since he kind of always did it his own style I guess, but Adrian is the man in this regard.  He usually or always keeps it true to the song.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #4467 on: September 24, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »

Dave has gotten more guilty of that with age and I hate how he does TNOTB solo now where he just holds that one note instead of shredding.  Janick is a tad bit more understandable since he kind of always did it his own style I guess, but Adrian is the man in this regard.  He usually or always keeps it true to the song.
It makes me sad that even Adrian is taking shortcuts nowadays with his solos. It's so frustrating when he's playing a solo and you go like "aaaaand here comes the amazing lick I love, wait for iiitt." and then he decides not to play it but instead "improvise" a pentatonic scale up and down or something  :tdwn I love Adrian but that really bugs me cos he used to play his solos note for note in the past. Well, at least his stuff is still better than Dave's improvs, not to mention Janick's.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4468 on: September 24, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
My idea is that they just got bored with their solos over the years, which isn't that uncommon for guitarists. It's not like they forgot how to play them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4469 on: September 24, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »
I have never had a problem with their live solos.  Janick obviously needs to clean things up, but he's getting better.  I've always really enjoyed Dave and Adrian's improvs though.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4470 on: September 25, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »
I have never had a problem with their live solos.  Janick obviously needs to clean things up, but he's getting better.  I've always really enjoyed Dave and Adrian's improvs though.

This.  Adrian particularly. I would say some of his live solos are far superior to the studio counterparts.  Wicker Man from RiR, Rime from F666 are good examples.

I'd be pretty happy if Janick just stuck to his slow, melodic solos; things like Wasting Love and Blood Brothers are so beautiful.  His 'shredz' are generally pretty terrible. 

Davey... I miss the old Davey that was more Hendrix/Blackmore influenced.  I think since No Prayer with Janick in the band, he traded in that old style and started playing more like Janick - AKA clusterfucks of legato notes with nothing really that memorable.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4471 on: September 26, 2014, 02:05:05 AM »
I love Janick's solos - he really brings the WTF?-factor.  :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4472 on: September 26, 2014, 02:09:40 AM »
He has a certain X factor.

:neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4473 on: September 26, 2014, 02:21:01 AM »
Janick was pretty impressive on En Vivo, he seemed to have a lot more control.  I think his style in the studio is really quite good and sometimes quite technical and impressive, and as sneaky said, his slower more melodic stuff is really excellent and definitely has its place in Maiden's sound these days.  A bit more focus live and he'd be fine.  Oh, and if he is going to play Adrian's solos, perhaps a bit more thought beforehand and come up with something different but equally impressive.  What he does to Adrian's solos is just uncalled for.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4474 on: September 26, 2014, 02:28:38 AM »
Adrian is easily my favourite of the 3. His solos are just much more melodic and interesting than the other two, on the whole. Doesn't mean the others don't do some great stuff of course.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4475 on: September 26, 2014, 04:58:16 AM »
By the way, today in 1981 Bruce joined Maiden :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4476 on: September 26, 2014, 05:15:25 AM »
 :metal

To celebrate, here's his studio audition which I haven't heard myself actually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWnaH-Toyw

and his first gig with IM:
Iron Maiden - Live in Bologna, Italy 1981

Man what I would pay to be able to witness that gig. The energy is pure and his voice is fresh!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4477 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
What he does to Adrian's solos is just uncalled for.

This.  I wanted to cry when I heard Revelations live in '08, such an awesome solo replaced with a bad wank
(the three part harmony line after it was/is golden though).

Adrian is easily my favourite of the 3. His solos are just much more melodic and interesting than the other two, on the whole. Doesn't mean the others don't do some great stuff of course.

Also this.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4478 on: September 26, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »
Sorry if this has been talked about, but is there any news at all regarding Maiden putting out another album?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4479 on: September 26, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »
Not that I know of.  I don't see any reason why they wouldn't tho.

Interestingly, a pattern emerges when you look at the years Maiden albums have been released...

Iron Maiden, Killers, NOTB, POM and Powerslave - 80-84, an album every year.

Powerslave, SiT, SSOASS, NPFTD, FOTD - 84-92 - 2 year gap

FOTD, XF, VXI, 92-98 - 3 year gap

--- 2 year break---

BNW, DOD, AMOLAD, 00-06 - 3 year gap

AMOLAD to TFF - 4 year gap

We should have a new Maiden album studio by the end of 2014 you heard it here first (C) sneakyblueberry