Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 131823 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Riverside
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 05:44:00 AM »
Their latest was alright. Certainly not as good as their first couple of albums.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 06:14:35 AM »
I asked a Polish guy at work if he had heard of them. He said he hadn't and then I replied: "They're Polish and you're Polish so you must have heard of them!". He just walked away when I said this. I think he was playing a trick on me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 07:45:54 AM »
Nice. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
I asked a Polish guy at work if he had heard of them. He said he hadn't and then I replied: "They're Polish and you're Polish so you must have heard of them!". He just walked away when I said this. I think he was playing a trick on me.
:rollin

Anyway, I have SLS and REM and I like both of them a lot.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 11:32:52 AM »
I couldn't listen to a band named after such a prominent Ottawa street. :lol
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »
Which one did you get?

I like Second Life Syndrome a lot, really gloomy but beautiful album. Rapid Eye Movement was an improvement in terms of production, but the music was a lot less interesting I thought. However, the new album is meant to be excellent, so I'm going to check it out when I can!

Out of Myself is decent but not very exciting, and the Voices in My Head EP is quite cool but doesn't really go anywhere.

Out of Myself is worth it simply for The Same River and Reality Dream II.

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 11:41:15 AM »
So - Is Riverside's latest album out yet??? Replies in this thread have said "I'll get it when it comes out" and "I've listened to it several times...".  I've looked on iTunes and it's not there. (other Riverside albums are). So when is/was the official release date?
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
Oh. I thought it was already out, as my uncle gave me a burned copy of it and I just assumed he'd bought it. Oops.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 12:51:35 PM »
I've only like Second Life Syndrome...Everything else doesn't interest me.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »
I really like their sound. It's atmospheric, and dreamy. Rapid Eye Movement is a pretty cool album, production wise and song wise.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »
Riverside played an awesome gig at the Loreley festival yesterday. Review and pics to follow.  :)
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »
Well, the Polish release date was - officially - 15th June (but it was in stores a few days earlier o_O), and the other release dates, according to Insideout - 6th July for Europe and 28th for North America [link]. Though I know there was a damn leak even before the Polish release date and the spoilers had been driving me nuts. :/

I'd be very grateful for the review, wonder how the new songs sound live.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2009, 10:36:50 PM »
Huh, I thought the new album came out same day as BC&SL.  Its okay.  Nothing compared to SLS.  Hopefully SPV can dig themselves out of this hole so Riverside and Demians can get on the road w/ ProgNation.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2009, 07:30:11 AM »
If I remember correctly, the release date was indeed something very close to BC&SL, but it probably got delayed due to the SPV trouble.

Imo the new album is really great and now it's just a question for me whether it's even better or not than REM... which means a lot.

Offline jfwund

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
So - Is Riverside's latest album out yet??? Replies in this thread have said "I'll get it when it comes out" and "I've listened to it several times...".  I've looked on iTunes and it's not there. (other Riverside albums are). So when is/was the official release date?

It's available to download from Amazon Mp3 for $9 (American)
—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 09:29:50 AM »
I was walking through the cd store an hour ago and stumbled on their newest album. Just bought it, and going to listen to it for the first time in a few mins.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 01:57:34 AM »

Sometimes I get the feeling they're more popular among foreigners than Polish people.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 06:25:25 AM »
Same. And foreigners don't seem to find it fun to bash them simply because they've managed to get some kind of popularity, like some of our beloved countrymen.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2009, 06:33:25 AM »
Same. And foreigners don't seem to find it fun to bash them simply because they've managed to get some kind of popularity, like some of our beloved countrymen.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »
I have their newest album, and I find it amazing. I'm not a big fan of their earlier stuff, but I'm a huge fan of this album!

So now I'ma backtrack and try the others once again.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »
Grrrr... end of this month it comes out in the US... I can't freaking wait.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »
Well, I like them, they're a great band. But I rarely feel like I need to listen to their music. The sound is great, I like it, but I don't feel that little something (emotion?) in their music that I love in PoS. I say PoS because those bands are oftenly compared.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2009, 04:06:55 AM »
I have their newest album, and I find it amazing. I'm not a big fan of their earlier stuff, but I'm a huge fan of this album!

Personally, I find Second Life Syndrome to be their best and ADHD their absolute worst. The production is beyond terrible, guitars sound even worse than before (they never sounded good because of the lack of midrange - you could hear that Grudzinski is playing but you can't hear what he's playing and that problem is even more prominent on ADHD), the compositions themselves I find bland and boring except for Egoist Hedonist. Hyperactive is downright terrible and Driven for Destruction has a vocal melody from So Called Friend by Porcupine Tree and it's way too obvious for me to enjoy the song.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:27:41 AM by 5 »

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2009, 06:23:56 AM »
Well, I find REM to be their best and ADHD very close behind. Hyperactive is one of the best songs below 6 minutes I've ever heard (awesome riffs, the real feeling of moving all the time, great piano opening), Egoist Hedonist is great in the way it's unconventional (+ excellent ending), Hybrid Times is great as a whole, and it has one of the best album endings ever. I like Driven to Destruction and Left Out a bit less (the former is slightly too long for me, and the second half is worse than the first imo, the latter is very good but the instrumental part at the end is unnecessary and ruins the atmosphere), but they're good anyway. I've heard it before that DtD sounds like So-Called Friend and except like 3 seconds near the end, I don't find ANY similarities, sorry.

The guitar sound is very good and clean, and even though I preferred the "rawer" sound on REM, it fits very well with the "modern" mood of the album. In general, the album is excellent and very strong in every way, extremely difficult to beat a masterpiece like REM though.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 06:56:04 AM »
Hyperactive is one of the best songs below 6 minutes I've ever heard (awesome riffs, the real feeling of moving all the time, great piano opening)

That's a matter of personal preference I guess, but this on the other hand...

I've heard it before that DtD sounds like So-Called Friend and except like 3 seconds near the end, I don't find ANY similarities, sorry.

Listen to vocals around 2:20 mark in Driven to Destruction, then listen to verses from So Called Friend. It's almost the same melody and I can't believe you can't hear that - it's really obvious.

I'd comment on other parts of your post too but I'd need to listen to the album again.
That's another issue - I've listened to it like 10 times and still the only thing I can remember from it is that "So Called Friend" melody.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »
Well, maybe, but Hyperactive is really intense and that's what I love about it, also the beginning which really well illustrates every morning: "nice dreams/waking up/oh no... not this world again" :P

I'd have to listen to So-Called Friend again, but really the only similarity I could find to the song is a riff appearing for a few seconds near the end, and still it's just similar and not the same (this way, we could probably find similarities to everything on every album on Earth). But I remember the song, and probably if people hadn't said that, I wouldn't even have noticed any similarity to Porcupine Tree on the album.

On the beginning it also wasn't easy to remember much, but after 3-4 listens I remembered most of it. Now I know the whole album by heart but I'm after like 20 listens :P

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2009, 07:20:38 PM »
I can't believe I forgot about this album  :facepalm:

*runs to amazon.co.uk*

edit: I just went to the .com amazon by mistake, and noticed it's not out in america yet, mwahaha >=)

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »

*runs to amazon.co.uk*

edit: I just went to the .com amazon by mistake, and noticed it's not out in america yet, mwahaha >=)
^^ This is why we hate the Brits  ;D ^^
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline faemir

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2009, 09:09:21 AM »

*runs to amazon.co.uk*

^^ This is why we hate the Brits  ;D ^^

Don't worry, we don't get blazblue. At all.  :'(

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2009, 09:12:23 AM »

*runs to amazon.co.uk*

Don't worry, we don't get blazblue. At all.  :'(
We never get to see Threshold or Pain of Salvation on this side of the pond.  :'(

Offline faemir

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2009, 06:39:01 AM »

*runs to amazon.co.uk*

Don't worry, we don't get blazblue. At all.  :'(
We never get to see Threshold or Pain of Salvation on this side of the pond.  :'(

You got the LTE reunion tour.

This could go on for a looooong time  :sadpanda:

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »
I was able to download the album from Amazon.com.

Greatness.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »
I've heard it before that DtD sounds like So-Called Friend and except like 3 seconds near the end, I don't find ANY similarities, sorry.

Listen to vocals around 2:20 mark in Driven to Destruction, then listen to verses from So Called Friend. It's almost the same melody and I can't believe you can't hear that - it's really obvious.
I listened to So Called Friend again today, and well... it sounds a bit similar, and that's all. In fact if no one had told me that they sound alike I probably wouldn't even have noticed it. I was even mistaken with the guitar riff similarity, they're completely different.

Offline EstyMaJ

Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:36 AM »
My First album was REM and i liked it alot , Its funny I have seen alot of comments about this band and i thought it was just me that thinks well i like this band alot everytime i listen to the album but for some reason they just don't call out for me to play them often .
Anyway I think Im going to get there First and there latest albums next and see what i think of them