Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 131833 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »
I thought REM was a bit of a disappointment, I didn't care for tracks like 'Ultimate Trip', it sounded like stuff they already did on SLS and OOM.

The new album took a while to click with me, but I must say the last two tracks are probably the best ones I've heard them do.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2009, 03:29:06 PM »
I thought REM was a bit of a disappointment, I didn't care for tracks like 'Ultimate Trip', it sounded like stuff they already did on SLS and OOM.
o_O seriously? It's completely unlike the previous albums...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »
o_O seriously? It's completely unlike the previous albums...

I disagree, what's so different about it then? Yes, there were a few more 'moody' tracks.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »
The first part is more hard-rock and melodic, the only thing having slight similarities is Volte-Face. The second part, with the atmospheric, nearly-spoken parts and heavy riffing are totally unlike anything before, especially the heavy riff which is probably my favourite of their heavier moments. The last part... is the furthest from the first two albums possible. It's my favourite Riverside song tied with Second Life Syndrome, mainly because it's so different and perfect as a closer for the whole trilogy (and, imo, the best part of the trilogy).

Offline robbob

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:35 AM »
MP has got to get the guys to come over to the States. Maybe on their headlining tour next spring( one can only hope). Or on the next Prog Nation tour.

I'm really digging ADHD, I think it's their best. A little different then their other stuff, more rocking.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:18 AM »
My First album was REM and i liked it alot , Its funny I have seen alot of comments about this band and i thought it was just me that thinks well i like this band alot everytime i listen to the album but for some reason they just don't call out for me to play them often .
Anyway I think Im going to get there First and there latest albums next and see what i think of them
OK Update on this is i got 2 more albums SLS and ADHD and I already have REM
I am now officially hooked on these guys
Besides Loveing the music itself im really likeing this guys voice and for some reason the Accent  makes it fit to the style of music somehow
So far I think REM is the most atospheric and quiet album out of these but Im loveing the 3 I  have .
I guess i need to get there first one next

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2009, 09:25:10 AM »
I.m.o:

1. Second Life Syndrome
2. Out of Myself
3. Anno Domini High Definition
4. Rapid Eye Movement

I guess I was just really disappointed with REM after listening SLS and OoM.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2009, 01:01:43 PM »
I was actually impressed, after listening to Out of Myself and Second Life Syndrome for like a month each, that Rapid Eye Movement is even better... ADHD comes very, very close behind.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »
I quite like early R.E.M. but they went a bit dodgy later on...

:sadpanda:
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
I quite like early R.E.M. but they went a bit dodgy later on...

:sadpanda:

Yeah, the first 5 tracks are great IMO.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2009, 05:08:40 PM »
Out of Myself - Reality Dream

Best Riverside song (and album).

I can't get enough of this song, the guitarist is so good x_x

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »
Just came back from the concert in Katowice (this time a 15-minute drive instead of an 8-hour train trip), I thought I might share the experience.

Well, I have to say I'm not too happy there was no supporting bands at all (as there are supports for like 90% of Polish tour, and I've found several interesting bands because of seeing them as supports - and UK and Netherlands get The Pineapple Thief :( ), but the good side is that looking at how fast I use my energy (and voice) on concerts, it might have been a good thing :lol The very good side: there had been no other concert, ever, where 2 hours flew so fast. It felt like 40 minutes to me.

OK, I need to start from complaining. :p I have to say I wasn't impressed by the setlist of the songs from the older albums. Second Life Syndrome and Rapid Eye Movement - obviously, masterpieces. But other than that, nothing particularly special, and unfortunately once again I didn't get to hear Ultimate Trip in its entirety (and not even the first half). I hope I'll have the chance, eventually.

But then... what they played, they played masterfully. Pretty much every song sounded awesome and better than on the album, there were also LOTS of interesting ideas with linking songs, changing the beginnings etc. (more on that later), which made the whole concert really unpredictable. It was obvious they didn't just come to play the setlist and go, there was really a lot of energy on stage (more than ever, even the always-calm Piotr Grudzinski was moving all the time), a laugh now and then, not a moment of boredom. In this, it was probably their best concert I've been to. Another great thing is the sound was simply perfect, I cannot find a single flaw in it, each instrument sounded just like it should, no wall of sound even at the strongest moments - which were really strong... It was, if I count correctly, the eighth time I've seen them, and definitely also the best sound-wise.

The beginning was 02 Panic Room with a completely new beginning before the song itself started, being a bit of a puzzle. Like always, it sounded far better than on the album (I consider it to be the weakest on REM, and live it's always very good). Then... I don't know if you know the feeling that a song starts live, you realise "oh my God, it's THIS ONE", and get into a state of euphoria. That was it when they started playing Second Life Syndrome (with the beginning cut a bit). It always brings memories... and the most beautiful guitar solo I've ever heard in my life, I've yet to hear a better one. Though the thing is, inside the third part of SLS, they put a part of Schizophrenic Prayer, making things even more interesting. I'm not sure how long this version was, but it felt 4 minutes to me (and I'm sure that it was at least 4 times longer than that). Afterwards... another new, unknown beginning. Passing into The Same River, which instantly brought a cheer from everyone, myself included. Also bringing back memories... and played a bit different than normal. It was followed by a major innovation, which was both Mariusz Duda playing acoustic guitar live, and the song played was In Two Minds, for the first time ever if I'm correct, and with the ending combined with a part of a song from Voices in my Head (a shame... but I can't remember which one).

Now, wake up from the reality dream. The piano entering. T-shirts changed into red. We know where we are, don't we? I'd heard Hyperactive live twice before (on a charity gig they played in April dedicated to the vocalist of the band Decapitated, who is recovering after a bus accident), but it didn't change the fact that this song is just made to be played live. The guitar sounded EXACTLY how I had wanted, heavy riffs being heavy. It's a kind of song I could listen to over and over, really. It was followed by Driven to Destruction, with its wonderful heavy/calm switching and a little bit REM-influenced atmosphere. Egoist Hedonist was, like it should be, fun and epic at the same time. Left Out was a nice calmer break, the live version lost nothing from the atmosphere of the song (though... well, they're masters at creating atmosphere, why had I even doubted it?), and unfortunately like on the album I wished it ended one minute before it does. And finally, the moment I'd been waiting for since... I think June 13th. HYBRID TIMES!

There is a perfect phrase describing what it did for me: "stole the show". They could play Conceiving You as the remaining part of the setlist other than this song, and I'd still be over the moon. It was so amazing that it's hard to describe really, being a real kind of controlled storm, with its awesome riffing and bass, excellent drums (this song really shows how much he learned as a drummer between REM and ADHD - and even Out of Myself has very good drumming), and of course, the insane keyboards. Some moments were slightly different than on the album, they were obviously enjoying it as much as I was, the solo near the end was amazing, and the ending (which is the blastbeat with theremin) was definitely the most intense moment of the whole evening. I hope an EP with Hybrid Times live gets released or something, both the album version and live version are my Riverside top3 now, for slightly different reasons.

I could quote the Count here, but I won't. It was fortunately not the end yet. The "first end" was Stuck Between from Voices in my Head - played, again, in a much different way, followed by Reality Dream II and III combined together, resulting in an awesome big instrumental (the result was far better than I could have imagined). And the second and final end was... Rapid Eye Movement, with its dense, dark atmosphere - before I saw it live on the Reality Dream tour I had been sure it was made mostly on keyboards and samples... and in reality, it's 70% guitar. It's also significantly different than the album version, and also excellent for different reasons. And this was really the end, unfortunately (and they were apparently having a good laugh from something I must have missed... they seemed to be in good mood all the time today).

Overall, it was a really great experience. Totally unpredictable, with ADHD being obviously the most important part, it was different than usual, but I definitely liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing them for the ninth time. This time Ultimate Trip as the closer is a MUST. :D

tl;dr version of setlist:
1. 02 Panic Room (extended beginning)
2. Second Life Syndrome (+ part of Schizophrenic Prayer mixed into Vicious Ritual)
3. The Same River (changed beginning)
4. In Two Minds (+ ending from Voices in my Head)
---
5. Hyperactive
6. Driven to Destruction
7. Egoist Hedonist
8. Left Out
9. Hybrid Times
---
10. Stuck Between
11/12. Reality Dream II/III
--------
13. Rapid Eye Movement

If you read it all, thanks for patience. :D Anyone else saw/is going to see them this tour?

[and sorry for bracket overkill, it seems my old addiction is coming back]

EDIT:forgot Stuck Between. Sorry. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:03:12 PM by Darkes7 »

Offline faemir

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2009, 03:49:49 AM »
I'm really jealous, Riverside have climbed up my favourite album ranks really quickly. Their live stuff seems more unusual than any other band I've seen live which is really cool too.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2009, 11:21:21 AM »
Exactly, I think no other band is capable of creating such an atmosphere live. Even the darkest, most atmospheric songs which would feel near impossible to do live - they can do it without problems. And it's a great thing they keep experimenting and messing with the older songs a bit (although I have to say I absolutely HATE cutting long songs, I'll never forgive Ultimate Trip shortened to 5 minutes on the last tour) which makes the concerts more unpredictable.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
Lack of Conceiving You = Fail.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
Sorry, but this is what I liked the most about yesterday's setlist. :D

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
[uses uber magical power to resurrect the thread]

...but for a good reason: finally, after one and half a year of waiting, there is an official release date of the Reality Dream DVD, with precise information on the content. It's not in news on the official site yet, but it's been confirmed in several interviews.

I managed to find a link on the Riverside board with more details:
https://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=news&id=10419

Also, Anno Domini High Definition vinyl is planned to be released somewhere around mid-December.

So apparently... I have another two releases to wait for this year. :)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »
I will definately buy this...in February :sadpanda:
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2009, 01:50:35 PM »
About time. I'm not sure why Riverside is ripping off America like they are on this. I mean I realize smaller bands tend to do this, but Riverside is definitely big enough that it should be released on the day after here.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
I guess it's InsideOut, not the band. ADHD was also released over a month later in the US as far as I remember. It's not possible to order it from Europe, though? I've also ordered CDs from the US when desperate enough... :P (shipping costs being half the price)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »
Actually, I think this might have something to do with the fact that this is apparently not coming out on InsideOut. Or at least that's what the press release said.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
Now I see it. Anyway, I doubt the band had any influence on this...

Offline faemir

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2009, 06:04:09 PM »
Vinyl of ADHD?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2010, 08:07:21 AM »
Bump.
Been listening to ADHD the latest weeks, and i'd go as far as saying it's one of my favorite albums EVER.
Similar to FOABP by Porcupine Tree in the way that it has less tracks than normal, but that the album is not too long, or too short.
It has great variety, and i love all the songs individually.
Driven To Destruction, Left Out and Hybrid Times are best on the album imo, but Hyperactive and Egoist Hedonist isn't far behind. :)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
ADHD is fantastic.  I love the keyboards on this album.  The instrumental sections are just so wonderfully dense and... trippy  :hat
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2010, 01:09:20 PM »
So, what album should I start with for these guys?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »
So, what album should I start with for these guys?

Personally i'd say their latest (Anno Domini High Defenition) is their best, but Second Life Syndrome is a good candidate as well.
I think REM takes a bit more to get into, haven't listened to OOM that much yet.

Anyways, got my ADHD today, the limited edition with DVD etc, im psyched. :)

Offline faemir

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »
To be honest, all four albums (and one EP) are stellar material - I can't think of any other band with as consistent a discography. Yes, some people say that x is worse or y is the best, but overall they are pretty much universally loved equally.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »
Alright, I'll just pick up the latest then.  Thanks. :)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »
I love this band so much... favorite album is REM
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
Bumping again.  Did I mention that ADHD is a great f<cking album?  I did? No matter because it bears repeating.   :metal

For me, Riverside occupies this wonderful space that exists somewhere between Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree.     

The unique thing about Riverside is that their sound is very much bass-guitar driven.  The bass is always quite high in their mix.  Mariusz Duda just lays down these awesomely complex grooves and the band just takes off from there.    :hefdaddy
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Bumping again.  Did I mention that ADHD is a great f<cking album?  I did? No matter because it bears repeating.   :metal

For me, Riverside occupies this wonderful space that exists somewhere between Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree.     

The unique thing about Riverside is that their sound is very much bass-guitar driven.  The bass is always quite high in their mix.  Mariusz Duda just lays down these awesomely complex grooves and the band just takes off from there.    :hefdaddy

I just started to play this album again this week and I haven't stoped listening to it.  I don't know why either but I'm glad I spun it again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faemir

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
I love no-one really says anything bad about Riverside at all, even on the internet. :heart

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2010, 06:13:46 PM »
Not entirely true... of course it's mostly their (and my own) countrymen that excel in this like always. I've read some retarded hate posts here and there, unfortunately. But in fact, they are much less disliked than any other band I know... at least for now. (Except the "ADHD concept is a Fear of a Blank Planet rip-off!!!!!!!!!!111" that are the most ignorant thing ever)

Btw, I'm considering trying again with a Riverside survivor, the problem is that I remember the last time it ended up with a disaster (round 3 of Out of Myself, the song I voted for got eliminated because my vote was the only one) so I gave up, but maybe now more people around here know them. Anyone interested?

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2010, 10:53:16 PM »
I've gotten into these guys recently.  I have Second Life Syndrome and Anno Domini High Definition; SLS is my favorite.  Second Life Syndrome, the song, is absolutely amazing.