Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 131921 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #700 on: October 09, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »
Nice interview!  That's cool about the pattern in the album titles, never realized that.  I think Marius is fantastic player, I just love how the band is very bass-driven.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lethean

« Reply #701 on: October 09, 2017, 09:31:54 AM »
Nice interview! Though I wish you'd have asked him why he didn't want to do songs from Out of Myself or ADHD
  ADHD too heavy for the mood of these shows maybe?  I hope they'll do songs from both albums in the future.

Totally agree Ludwig about Mariusz' bass playing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #702 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »
Nice interview!  That's cool about the pattern in the album titles, never realized that.  I think Marius is fantastic player, I just love how the band is very bass-driven.
Thanks! Glad to see I'm not the only one who was oblivious to the title pattern in the latest 3 albums :lol And yeah, seeing them live makes you realize just how bass-driven their sound is and how skilled Mariusz is at playing and singing at the same time.
Nice interview! Though I wish you'd have asked him why he didn't want to do songs from Out of Myself or ADHD
  ADHD too heavy for the mood of these shows maybe?  I hope they'll do songs from both albums in the future.

Totally agree Ludwig about Mariusz' bass playing.
I took the Artificial Smile example as a reference to avoiding the aggressive stuff altogether, which ADHD is full of. Also as I mentioned in the live report, at the show he announced that they'd be telling a story through the music and the setlist choices, so maybe OOM material didn't fit into the flow somehow, though there are plenty of Floydian and emotional moments on that record.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #703 on: October 09, 2017, 04:07:14 PM »
I met Mariusz! :woot: I interviewed him about the new Lunatic Soul album and Riverside's future plans: https://www.musicalypse.net/riversidelunatic-soul-mariusz-duda-tampere-2017/

I also reviewed their show in Tampere (https://www.musicalypse.net/riverside-w-lion-shepherd-klubi-tampere-29-09-2017-english/), and there are photos of the performance here: https://www.musicalypse.net/riverside-w-lion-shepherd-klubi-tampere-29-9-2017/

great interview!

I'm really hesitant to hear anything new from Riverside since Piotr passed away, but if they feel they can continue to produce the same quality of music without him I'll give the band the benefit of the doubt.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: October 11, 2017, 09:46:19 AM »
Anyone get the new Lunatic Soul album Fractured?  Haven't got to listen to it all yet, but the beginning of "A Thousand Shard of Heaven" is up there with the most beautiful music Mariusz has ever written, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:46:23 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #705 on: November 24, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
I recently managed to get an original of the much sought after 'Lost n Found' live album.
It's a great release apparently no overerdubs, straight up live recording.
Got it for a relative steal from eBay from a Polish seller for only 40 Euros, or $55 AU.
https://17408sound.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/riverside_lost-n-found.jpg?w=620&h=375
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:29:54 PM by gazinwales »

Offline Pettor

« Reply #706 on: February 01, 2018, 04:07:43 AM »
Finally got to a place where I want to discover new progressive bands and music. Riverside has always been there but I always considered it a bit too dark and therefore too hard to get into (which is strange because POS is a favorite band of mine).

Now I have gone through pretty much their whole discography and never realized how consistently great this band is. I finally discover all the beautiful melodies and actual fantastic progressive pieces they have. I am at the point where I just know there has been multiple goosebumps and wonderful moments but can't say exactly what song it was, except some that I already knew. But even in between those moments no song is less than a great listen.

Offline robbob

« Reply #707 on: February 01, 2018, 03:27:28 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more Pettor. Many awesome moments and truly a great band. Lyrically they can be pretty dark, sometimes you have to be in the right mood to listen to them. All of their releases are good, my favorites are ADHD and Shrine. 2 of my favorite, standout songs are Left Out and Second Life Syndrome.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #708 on: February 02, 2018, 10:57:06 AM »
I don't think there's such a thing as a bad Riverside song. :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #709 on: February 22, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
two years ago Piotr passed.

:'(

Offline Lethean

« Reply #710 on: February 23, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
I remember waking up to that news.  And reading the band's heartbreaking posts/tributes to him, and just wishing it was all some kind of mistake or bad dream.  Piotr could make that guitar sing. And he was a very nice person too.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: February 23, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »
Wow, I can't believe it's been two years already.  Still eager to hear what the new incarnation of Riverside will sound like, but it sounds like Mariusz is releasing another Lunatic soul album first.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #712 on: March 22, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »
Just took the Riverside dive, full on.

Ordered the 6 disc Reality Dream Trilogy box from Poland. Then I ordered Anno / Shrine / Love, Fear / Memories from Amazon.

All last night. Now I wait. Based on all of the samples I listened to, I don't think I will be disappointed.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #713 on: March 22, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »
I've heard three Riverside albums so far.

I first heard Shrines of New Generation Slaves, and honestly it's pretty boring. I heard Second Life Syndrome in the first round of my roulette and it was pretty good, not amazing, but ADHD blew it out of the water. I wish the other two were as good as that one, because that is some damn good prog metal. I need to listen to the rest.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #714 on: March 22, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »
I actually find Riverside's music to be overwhelming sometimes.  There's so much interplay between the instruments and vocals, so many nuances, subtle simultaneous voicings and counterpoint going on in their music that I need to pull off the headphones every now and again to give my brain a rest.  It's like listening to a Bach fugue or three-part invention.  A lot going on in their music!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #715 on: March 22, 2018, 03:32:04 PM »
So I just wanted to share this little story with you all.

I'm staying in a little tree house with my girlfriend in Cornwall at the moment. We arrived yesterday, it's really peaceful, it's small and cosy. I love it. Last night we had dinner and some wine, my girlfriend was tired and fell asleep quite early.

I stuck on my headphones and wanted to listen to something chilled to match the mood. I've been listening to Riverside for about a year now and although I enjoy them I've never found myself obsessed with any of their albums or unable to stop listening to them. However, last night I stuck on Out of Myself. I drifted away into the music with a glass of wine and my sweetheart sleeping beside me and it was just perfect. I suddenly understood it all and it clicked in a way it never had before. It just fit the setting and my mood like never before. I am now quite excited to relisten through the albums I have with this new found understanding. THIS is why I love music and the power it can have.

Yep, Out of Myself is still my favourite  :hefdaddy

Offline faizoff

« Reply #716 on: March 22, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »
I've heard three Riverside albums so far.

I first heard Shrines of New Generation Slaves, and honestly it's pretty boring. I heard Second Life Syndrome in the first round of my roulette and it was pretty good, not amazing, but ADHD blew it out of the water. I wish the other two were as good as that one, because that is some damn good prog metal. I need to listen to the rest.

I discovered Riverside right from their debut and if you listen to the albums in chronological order the albums flow quite well. The styles change a little with each album however the last two (SONGS & LFATTM) are very mellow compared to the rest of the category. LFATTM is probably my favorite albums of theirs. ADHD was a breath of fresh life after the 1st 3 albums which is a trilogy series.

I personally am a huge fan of these guys and I love every album of theirs including the EPs and the instrumental 2 disc set.

I know they're working on a new album right now and I personally cannot wait to see how it turns out after the loss of Piotr.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lethean

« Reply #717 on: March 22, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
So I just wanted to share this little story with you all.

I'm staying in a little tree house with my girlfriend in Cornwall at the moment. We arrived yesterday, it's really peaceful, it's small and cosy. I love it. Last night we had dinner and some wine, my girlfriend was tired and fell asleep quite early.

I stuck on my headphones and wanted to listen to something chilled to match the mood. I've been listening to Riverside for about a year now and although I enjoy them I've never found myself obsessed with any of their albums or unable to stop listening to them. However, last night I stuck on Out of Myself. I drifted away into the music with a glass of wine and my sweetheart sleeping beside me and it was just perfect. I suddenly understood it all and it clicked in a way it never had before. It just fit the setting and my mood like never before. I am now quite excited to relisten through the albums I have with this new found understanding. THIS is why I love music and the power it can have.

Yep, Out of Myself is still my favourite  :hefdaddy

What an awesome story.   :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #718 on: March 23, 2018, 08:05:19 AM »
Riverside posted this on their Facebook page on March 5th...

"Dear Friends,

We've just started recordings for the new, seventh Riverside album (traditionally, in Serakos Studio in Warsaw). It will be our first album recorded as a trio.

Because "our world ended" two years ego, we've decided that the new release will be "post apocalyptic" in nature. We've been toying with such sound for quite some time but now the story has gained a much deeper meaning.

And because of the "post-apo" nature of the album, the music will be much heavier and darker, but still atmospheric, full of soundscapes and with a lot of live instruments.

Most of the music has been written by Mariusz, who will now be responsible not only for acoustic but also for rhythm guitars. There will also be a lot of contributions from Michał.

There will be guests, most importantly Maciej Meller, so those of you who were now expecting only bass solos can breathe a sigh of relief ;)

What will our music without Grudzień be like? It will still be Riverside music. The new album will be different but it would have been different even if Grudzień was still with us. You know that we don't like recording two similar albums and so we are not intending to imitate the sound of one of our past releases. Our music has become more serious and more mature, so get ready for a manly and emotional album. The release date has been tentatively planned for the end of September this year.

Thank you for being with us.

Mariusz Duda, Piotr Kozieradzki, Michał Łapaj"

Offline pfillion

« Reply #719 on: March 23, 2018, 08:19:02 AM »
Can't wait to hear the new album \m/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: March 23, 2018, 08:20:44 AM »
Manly and emotional? Oh my.  :biggrin:  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #721 on: March 23, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
Some may be inclined to say that those terms are contradictory.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: March 23, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
Some may be inclined to say that those terms are contradictory.

I admit with zero shame to having welled up or full-on bawled at songs before. Then I rock out to some heavy freaking metal. I feel like those who try to separate the two just aren't comfortable getting all up in their emotions  :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #723 on: March 23, 2018, 10:59:57 AM »
I like that "post apocalyptic" term. Instead of renewing, they're continuing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: March 23, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
I've really been connecting with Fear, Love and the Time Machine over the past couple months.  After Piotr passed in 2016, I found myself gravitating toward the band's early works for some reason and I put the newest disc aside.  But I finally sunk my teeth into it 100% and it's even better than I originally thought.  The music, lyrics and artwork all have a timeless feel to them that I truly love.  The band really knocked the album out of the park, in my opinion.  I can't wait to see where their journey takes them with the upcoming album.  I completely trust Mariusz creatively.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #725 on: May 21, 2018, 07:12:30 AM »
tweeted on Sunday....

"Big news tomorrow."

I'm guessing new album info being dropped today.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #726 on: May 21, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »

Well, we're back in the game! We're happy to tell you that our seventh album will be called "Wasteland" and will be released at the end of September this year. More info soon!

Facebook Announcement

A personal note: it's an incredible honour and privilege for me to see a decade of fandom and support DELIBERATELY acknowledged and rewarded by the band in such a heartwarming and humbling fashion.    :lol :metal
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #727 on: May 21, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
Nice, hoping they play some new stuff at Night of the Prog.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #728 on: May 21, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
And then a year from now at RoSfest.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #729 on: May 21, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »
...or is it Waste And?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #730 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:44 AM »
...or is it Waste And?

It's *obviously* W A S T E 7 A N D...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #731 on: May 21, 2018, 11:59:33 AM »
And then a year from now at RoSfest.

Yes, but will you still be attending in the new home of Sarasota?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #732 on: May 21, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
I've got to talk it over with my wife.  I know.  That sucks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #733 on: May 21, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
Been on my Riverside journey since I ordered everything back in March. I worked my way backward until I hit Anno Domini. Then the trilogy box arrived and I dove into those in proper order.

The biggest surprise for me was Memories In My Head. That blew me away on first listen and I still love it. Such a great EP. I mean it's a half hour long so it's practically an album for some bands.

The last 2 albums were a bit underwhelming. I need to listen to them when I'm in the right frame of mind. Life has sucked lately and when I'm down and angry with life I tend to go towards the heavy stuff.

I loved the Reality Dream trilogy. I seem to go back to Second Life more but all 3 are wonderful. Anno Domini is a beast. That riff in Egoist Hedonist is epic.

So, yeah, I'm glad I took the dive full on. Looking forward to my first new album from them as a fan.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #734 on: May 21, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »
Anno Domini is a beast. That riff in Egoist Hedonist is epic.
It fucking is :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: