Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 133728 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #630 on: February 24, 2016, 05:52:39 PM »
I'm obsessed with Riverside now.  I always had Rapid Eye Movement, but I hadn't listened to it much.  I just ordered the two most recent albums yesterday.  I love Mariusz's lyrics.  They're so introspective.  I feel like I'm undergoing therapy as I listen to some of the songs.  This morning on the way to work I really connected with "Through the Other Side" from Rapid Eye Movement.  Wow, those lyrics.  I feel like I'm exploring the darkest caverns of my soul.  It's bittersweet considering Piotr's passing, but I'm grateful to have discovered my passion for Riverside's music.  I'm eager to explore everything the band has done.
Also, his solo project Lunatic Soul. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dIoBU-mJ64

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #631 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:21 AM »
Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere, a tribute from Mariusz

https://www.facebook.com/Riversidepl/posts/1174665322545384

One of my favourite mischievous remarks I liked to tease Grudzien with was reminding him the day before his birthday that he's half a year older than me. Just before he turned 40 I said, "Do you know how old I will be on March 15th? Still 39, and you?"

We listened to the same music. We would play Solar Fields or Hedningarna at parties and dance with our eyes closed around an invisible bonfire. In the old Progresja club we would lie on our backs on the small stage in the corner and listen to Archive from the speakers. And to the cool solutions we came up with in "In Two Minds". We would compete with each other as to who was the more loyal Dead Can Dance fan, who loved the band more. I lost ignominiously when I realised that all of his tattoos were connected with Dead Can Dance graphic designs. And that he paid over PLN 500 at an auction for "Into The Labyrinth" vinyl.

We subscribed to the idea that three perfect sounds are more meaningful than twelve played around the guitar neck. We were excited by this emotional approach. I composed songs in such way that he could fill them with those perfect few notes. We completed each other. Right from the beginning of Riverside I knew he was a special guitarist whose playing was made for painting musical landscapes. He had his own original style, and that has always been more important for me than technical contortions and circus tricks. Most of all, he was modest, humble and he knew exactly what he was capable of. And you could hear all that in the way he played. It was incredible and fascinating.

He couldn't disguise emotions. When he was happy, he showed that, jumped for joy, goofed around, and when he was in a bad mood, he couldn't pretend even when he was on stage. He was peeved and everyone could see that. We would then go backstage after a gig and tell him, "Fuck, Piotr, people can see that you're pissed off, when will you finally learn to play a bit for them?" And he would shout back, "But that's the way I am and I can't help it!" And indeed that's the way he was. Painfully honest. He played what he could the way he could, he never faked anything. That's the kind of man he was. But we were growing up together. And during our last tour, we were surprised at how many positive emotions we were able to inspire in each other. Especially when we looked and smiled at each other. And that idea to lean back to back while playing "Feel Like Falling" charged our batteries for the entire gig. We were becoming as one on stage, a true band. And it was thanks to him that I wanted us to continue as a band in spite of my solo aspirations.

We learned from each other the most important things. To always remember that, first and foremost, you have to be a good person. To cherish the most valuable characteristics in us. To live a full life and never put it off for later. Whenever I was lost, he was the reason I was able to find myself again. That's the way we influenced, inspired and helped each other. We were like brothers. Sometimes closer, sometimes further apart, but we could always count on each other. We were connected by so much more than music. We were connected by the ability to talk about what most people don't want to talk about, emotions and how we felt, and why we reacted the way we did, and why we were the way we were.

It must be a joke, a grim twist from the damned "Game of Thrones", which we were reading avidly at the same time, checking furtively how many pages the other one had got left to read. A terrible blow as if a baby learning to make its first steps was swept away by that big wrecking ball. And all that's left is a huge black empty hole with remnants of dead flesh around. I feel as if half of my heart was ripped out of my chest, as if half of my soul was taken away from me. I keep crying and I can't get a grip. I feel an immense sea of sadness and pain inside me. Yes, sometimes, to balance things out, I get a glimpse of black humour. Sometimes, I'm simply pissed off. But the truth is, I miss you, Piotr, and I don't know how to cope with it. A lot has ended when you died, a lot has faded, vanished, fallen to pieces. I am simply devastated. I feel as if tides were crashing me against rocks and with every wave it's getting worse. I don't know when the pain will pass but it looks like for now it has to be a part of me. Just like you have been a part of my life.

Farewell my beloved Friend. See you somewhere on the other side.

Mariusz

Offline darkshade

« Reply #632 on: February 25, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
I'm obsessed with Riverside now.  I always had Rapid Eye Movement, but I hadn't listened to it much.  I just ordered the two most recent albums yesterday.  I love Mariusz's lyrics.  They're so introspective.  I feel like I'm undergoing therapy as I listen to some of the songs.  This morning on the way to work I really connected with "Through the Other Side" from Rapid Eye Movement.  Wow, those lyrics.  I feel like I'm exploring the darkest caverns of my soul.  It's bittersweet considering Piotr's passing, but I'm grateful to have discovered my passion for Riverside's music.  I'm eager to explore everything the band has done.
Also, his solo project Lunatic Soul. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dIoBU-mJ64

Check out the debut album S.U.S.A.R. by Indukti. They're the reason I discovered Riverside in 2005. Riverside's Mariusz Duda's does all the vocals, and the album has a similar feel to Riverside, but they push the world music influence a little more than Riverside was doing in those days. Great album.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: February 26, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
Thanks for the tips, everyone!  I went ahead and ordered Riverside's entire back catalog this week.  A week ago, all I had was Rapid Eye Movement.  The two latest albums ("Fear, Love..." and "Shrine...") arrived last night and the other three should be here in a couple days.  I'll probably start from the beginning and listen to one album at a time to see how their sound and lyrics progressed through the years.  However, it's a really bittersweet feeling that I'm discovering the band under such unfortunate circumstances though. :/
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: February 26, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »
Check out the debut album S.U.S.A.R. by Indukti. They're the reason I discovered Riverside in 2005. Riverside's Mariusz Duda's does all the vocals, and the album has a similar feel to Riverside, but they push the world music influence a little more than Riverside was doing in those days. Great album.

Thanks for posting! I hadn't been aware of this. It's a great cross between Riverside and Lunatic Soul.

I went ahead and ordered Riverside's entire back catalog this week.

Probably too late to save you any cash (if it does!), but for anyone else looking to do this: there's a 6-disc box released a few years ago collecting the Reality Dream trilogy (OOM through REM) along with bonuses (Second 'Live' Syndrome and all REM bonus tracks except one remix). It's a great buy considering the prices Voices in My Head goes for and the collected extra content. Unfortunately, I had to order it from their Polish store... hopefully it's around on Amazon or something by now.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #635 on: February 26, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips, everyone!  I went ahead and ordered Riverside's entire back catalog this week.  A week ago, all I had was Rapid Eye Movement.  The two latest albums ("Fear, Love..." and "Shrine...") arrived last night and the other three should be here in a couple days.  I'll probably start from the beginning and listen to one album at a time to see how their sound and lyrics progressed through the years.  However, it's a really bittersweet feeling that I'm discovering the band under such unfortunate circumstances though. :/

Good move.  There's something to enjoy in every single album.  Even their EPs.   My favorite album is probably ADHD.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #636 on: February 28, 2016, 05:58:53 AM »
That's odd...Shrine of New Generation Slaves isn't available as mp3 on Amazon.  (no, not going to use iTunes).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #637 on: February 28, 2016, 06:35:12 AM »
Just order the CD from Amazon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #638 on: February 28, 2016, 06:50:34 AM »
Just order the CD from Amazon.

I may have to...but I hate doing that just to rip it...it's environmentally unfriendly (needless plastic, needless shipping, needless packaging), but I'm also going to have to dig the external CD drive out of the closet...which is even worse!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #639 on: February 28, 2016, 06:52:48 AM »
I'm the old fart. I like having the hard copy as a back up. Stuck in between 2 world's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #640 on: February 28, 2016, 12:33:44 PM »

Thanks for posting! I hadn't been aware of this. It's a great cross between Riverside and Lunatic Soul.

I went ahead and ordered Riverside's entire back catalog this week.

Probably too late to save you any cash (if it does!), but for anyone else looking to do this: there's a 6-disc box released a few years ago collecting the Reality Dream trilogy (OOM through REM) along with bonuses (Second 'Live' Syndrome and all REM bonus tracks except one remix). It's a great buy considering the prices Voices in My Head goes for and the collected extra content. Unfortunately, I had to order it from their Polish store... hopefully it's around on Amazon or something by now.

Nothing wrong with ordering from the Polish store, it was the cheapest I've seen it anywhere and it arrived a week later to Australia.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #641 on: March 01, 2016, 11:16:22 AM »
I bought this box after getting into the band through ADHD. It is indeed a great package, but unfortunately it doesn't include any liner notes or lyrics.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: March 07, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »
Well, I started with the Out of Myself album after buying the band's full discography a week or so ago. I really sunk my teeth into the album this past weekend while hiking. The solitude of hiking really gives me the perfect atmosphere to get lost in music. I gotta say, this album really hits home. I could actually see it falling into my top 10 favorite albums -- I like it that much. I really like dark emotional music (Space-Dye Vest is my all-time favorite song to give you an idea). Whatever dark mood or mindset Mariusz was trying to convey with Out of Myself, it resonates with me. I feel like I've been in the same headspace.  Anyway, so far so good. I feel like I might be listening to Out of Mind for a few weeks, so I might not get to the other albums anytime soon.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: March 13, 2016, 04:15:55 AM »
I recorded a cover of I Believe as a tribute to Piotr - you can hear it over at the Musicians subforum: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=46411.0

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: March 14, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »
I moved on to Second Life Syndrome this weekend.  Oh boy, another gem.  I love the whispered opening.  "Conceiving You" was an immediate standout as well as closing track "After," both musically and lyrically.  I'm big into self-reflection, so I just really connect with the music's dark introspective vibe.  "Dance With the Shadow" blew me away.  Oh my goodness.  What an epic.  The song's atmospheric start reminded me of the opening of Fates Warning's "A Pleasant Shade of Gray."  I'm still sinking my teeth into this album, so I'll have a better feel after a week or so.  But wow.  It's just excellent.  Shame on me for not exploring their catalog sooner.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #645 on: March 14, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
Second Life Syndrome is a really great album. Title-track is one of their best!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: March 18, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
This might be crazy, but I'm so hooked on Out of Myself and Second Life Syndrome that I could actually see one or both of them infiltrating my top five favorite albums of all-time.  I'm totally connecting with the concept of SLS and and the trilogy as a whole, and I've found myself repeating those life patterns myself as a classic loner.  I gotta give them both more time though before I officially adjust my album rankings.  Sorry to keep proclaiming my excitement on here.  I don't know many Riverside fans, lol.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #647 on: March 18, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
those albums are so good
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #648 on: March 18, 2016, 12:37:38 PM »
They're both really good. I think Rapid Eye Movement is my favorite from the trilogy, but SLS and OOM are both really good too.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: June 22, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
After spending the past six months filling in my holes in the Riverside back catalog and falling in love with everything, I just started sinking my teeth into Lunatic Soul. This is pretty much the year of Duda for me. Any suggestions or preferences from anyone when it comes to Lunatic Soul?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #650 on: June 22, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »
Both of the first two are really good. Nice moody, 3 a.m. and-I-can't-sleep kind of stuff. From what I remember, third album was almost strictly instrumental, but I never went back to it. Fourth album I remember liking the one time I listened. Need to give it another spin someday to see how it stacks up with the first two.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #651 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
The last album is excellent. Hyped for the new one!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #652 on: June 22, 2016, 07:19:32 PM »
Lunatic Soul, imo, has gotten better with every release. But it is, in large part, a mood band. If it's what you're in the mood for you'll love any of the albums.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: July 14, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »
I've spent the past few weeks listening to Lunatic Soul's Walking on a Flashlight Beam.  My goodness, it's so wonderful.  I totally love it.  Duda never disappoints.  I love his music, his lyrics, his exploration of self.  So grateful for everything of his I have experienced this year.

Online faizoff

« Reply #654 on: July 24, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »
Pasting my post from the mp forum

I got my reissued Love,Fear and the Time Machine copy today and loving it so far. Been so used to the crappy spotify version didn't realize was missing so much stuff. This is probably my favorite Riverside album and listening to it 5.1 or even the stereo high bit version is pure pleasure.

More details on the reissue
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #655 on: July 28, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
So I just wanted to share this little story with you all.

I'm staying in a little tree house with my girlfriend in Cornwall at the moment. We arrived yesterday, it's really peaceful, it's small and cosy. I love it. Last night we had dinner and some wine, my girlfriend was tired and fell asleep quite early.

I stuck on my headphones and wanted to listen to something chilled to match the mood. I've been listening to Riverside for about a year now and although I enjoy them I've never found myself obsessed with any of their albums or unable to stop listening to them. However, last night I stuck on Out of Myself. I drifted away into the music with a glass of wine and my sweetheart sleeping beside me and it was just perfect. I suddenly understood it all and it clicked in a way it never had before. It just fit the setting and my mood like never before. I am now quite excited to relisten through the albums I have with this new found understanding. THIS is why I love music and the power it can have.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #656 on: July 28, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
So I just wanted to share this little story with you all.

I'm staying in a little tree house with my girlfriend in Cornwall at the moment. We arrived yesterday, it's really peaceful, it's small and cosy. I love it. Last night we had dinner and some wine, my girlfriend was tired and fell asleep quite early.

I stuck on my headphones and wanted to listen to something chilled to match the mood. I've been listening to Riverside for about a year now and although I enjoy them I've never found myself obsessed with any of their albums or unable to stop listening to them. However, last night I stuck on Out of Myself. I drifted away into the music with a glass of wine and my sweetheart sleeping beside me and it was just perfect. I suddenly understood it all and it clicked in a way it never had before. It just fit the setting and my mood like never before. I am now quite excited to relisten through the albums I have with this new found understanding. THIS is why I love music and the power it can have.

These are great moments.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #657 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »
Oct. 21 - Riverside - Eye Of The Soundscape

Instrumental album as a tribute to Piotr.  :'(

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: September 23, 2016, 05:25:26 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/Riversidepl/photos/a.291549087523683.81704.146299235382003/1350887328256515/?type=3&theater
Dear Friends,

We'd like to thank you again for your friendship and support throughout this most tragic time for us and we'd like to officially announce that we have made a decision about our future.

We have decided that we are not going to do a casting for a new guitarist. Thus we have ceased to be a quartet and have become a trio. In this line-up we will prepare our new studio album. Both in the recording studio and on tour - if we get back to touring - we will be playing with session guitarists, who are our friends, whom we know and like. But the line-up of Riverside will be as shown in the picture.

Yes, we do realise that this is not going to be the same band. We know that for many of you the story of Riverside ends here, this year, and that "Eye of the Soundscape" might be the last Riverside album you'll buy. We know that some of you can't imagine this band without the characteristic guitar of Piotr Grudziński and for you Riverside has ceased to exist. But our story is not over yet; with a flaw, with a scar, with a wealth of new experiences, we have decided to go on.

We know stories of many bands that have survived and have been successful, in spite of all. And we want to be the living proof that giving up is not an option and that we can be an inspiration for others, too. For as long as we can, we'll continue to do our best to create and meet with you wherever the emotions are running high. Grudzień will still be with us. We are definitely not going to forget him. He's a part of our lives. But in order for the memory of him to survive, we have to continue. And we want to. So we're embarking on another journey and we are thankful to everyone who will join us.

Our plans for the nearest future?
Next year we're going to start working on a new album. Marked by the circumstances, it will probably be a return to heavier and more intense sound. But before that, in February 2017, on the anniversary of Piotr's death, we'd like to play our first gig. A very special gig which will be an exceptional event. We'd like to play it with guests, with friends, for Piotr, for us. And for you. We'd like our music to be the hero of that day, we'd like to let it speak for itself. We'll give you more details about it in the coming weeks.

The river will never be the same again but it doesn't mean it has to stop flowing.

Best regards,
Mariusz Duda, Piotr Kozieradzki, Michał Łapaj
I would've understood if they'd wanted to call it quits, but I'm really happy they're soldiering on. This is a good compromise, because they still get to make new music and maybe play gigs, but nobody has the ungrateful task of filling a deceased bandmate's position.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
yay
« Reply #659 on: September 23, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »
I'm so happy they've decided to carry on, one of my favorite prog bands.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #660 on: September 23, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
not an easy choice.  will be interesting how the sound of the band changes.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #661 on: September 23, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »
Yeah, I can think of only one other band who lost their guitarist and then struck forward as a trio of bass, drums and keyboards, and that would be Genesis.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #662 on: September 25, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »
I'm happy that they will continue playing, but I think the decision of not getting a new guitarist and only playing with guests is kind of a.. non-acceptance of what happened.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: September 25, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »
Yeah, I think if they just started writing music without guitars and only had guests for their live shows to play older stuff, it'd make sense.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #664 on: September 30, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »
They released a new song from the upcoming instrumental album, sounds lovely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBTZJLXOptM&feature=youtu.be