Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 133846 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #595 on: September 24, 2015, 06:37:04 AM »
I only bought the digibook for the expanded artwork tbh; the ambient tracks aren't something I can see myself listening to very often.

Also, my review is finally online: https://www.musicalypse.net/reviews/riverside-love-fear-and-the-time-machine.php

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #596 on: September 25, 2015, 07:29:34 AM »
Finally got to listen to this one this morning.

IMO, it's a masterpiece by the band.  I love the intertwining of the instruments and voice to produce mood; they do it better than anyone this side of Steven Wilson.

Love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #597 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:02 AM »
Yeah, I might not be listening to it four times a day anymore, but it's still going strong. Mariusz in particular sounds really great on this album.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #598 on: October 01, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »
First time listening through this. The instrumentation is a lot more interesting than on SoNGS and the level of atmosphere on this album is outstanding.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #599 on: October 15, 2015, 07:29:44 PM »
two weeks later

I think Caterpillar and Saturate Me are my favorites but most of the songs are pretty great. Definitely think this is a step up from SoNGS though it doesn't come close to ADHD for me.

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #600 on: October 17, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »
two weeks later

I think Caterpillar and Saturate Me are my favorites but most of the songs are pretty great. Definitely think this is a step up from SoNGS though it doesn't come close to ADHD for me.

Pretty close to how I feel.  This board had a lot of hype for ADHD when it came out, so I got it, and liked it a lot. (didn't really know much about the band before that.) The EP and SONGS were ok... but weren't nearly as appealing. This album though, (LFTM <-is that how we're doing it?) is great. I haven't listened to ADHD for quite some time, so I'd need a re-listen to see which I enjoy more. I pretty much was sold on the album and knew I'd like it from the opening moment of "Discard your Fears". The over-driven organ, the heavily chorus'd bass - really sweet!
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #601 on: October 20, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »
Saw the band live in Holland last Sunday. I wasn't really hyped because I'm not that hyped about the last 2 records.

That said, the band nowadays are VERY professional - stage presence, setlist, live sound, lights, it's all great - a huge contrast to the last time I saw them (2010 I believe). Great, great show.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #602 on: October 21, 2015, 01:21:46 AM »
That said, the band nowadays are VERY professional - stage presence, setlist, live sound, lights, it's all great - a huge contrast to the last time I saw them (2010 I believe). Great, great show.
I've never had the pleasure of seeing these guys live, but what was it about them that was unprofessional in the past? I remember watching a live video of a complete show that they did in Europe on the REM tour and I never got the impression that they were anything but professional.

BTW, for you and anyone else interested, the audio for the show you went to (Tilburg, 2015/10/18) is up on dimeadozen:
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=543281
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #603 on: October 21, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
I've never had the pleasure of seeing these guys live, but what was it about them that was unprofessional in the past? I remember watching a live video of a complete show that they did in Europe on the REM tour and I never got the impression that they were anything but professional.

OK maybe I got things a little bit far. The band were never unprofessional, but the show nowadays is just completely solid and just aiming higher I guess. It's way more professional, more professional than before that is.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #604 on: October 25, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »
Episode #2 of Jammin Dude's Neighborhood review of Love, Fear and the Time Machine

(new opening credit sequence)

https://youtu.be/3DYdQPuo1cg
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline robbob

« Reply #605 on: October 29, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
Absolutely love this band. Can't stop listening to the new one. All of their albums are great IMO, save for a song here and there. Love the atmosphere and creativity.  I agree with above post, Mariusz vocals are excellent on the new one. They also have to be one of the best bands when it comes to outro's. Always seem to have 4 or 5 good ones on each album. Seen them  a few weeks back in Chicago, awesome show. Great way to open the concert with Lost, Feel Like Falling and Hyperactive. Really set the tone.

Online faizoff

« Reply #606 on: November 12, 2015, 07:52:41 PM »
This album is pure sex. I can't believe how much I've been listening to it. I think it's hands down my favorite album of theirs. This is such a laid back and easy listen with so many melodies all over, I just can't get over how I can't stop listening to it. I've listened to the opening track alone like a 100 times in the first week of getting it. I didn't think any album would top Steven Wilson this year. Favorite is Lost and Discard your fear so far. Towards the blue horizon is a very Steven Wilson type song, it screams Ancestral to me in terms of structure, not that any of that is meant as a knock,just an observation.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #607 on: February 21, 2016, 07:56:25 AM »
In our deepest pain and disbelief we would like to inform you that our dearest friend and brother Piotr Grudzinski has passed away this morning. We kindly ask you to respect the privacy of his family and friends.

RIP my friend  :'(

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #608 on: February 21, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »
 :|
What a year...
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #609 on: February 21, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
RIP :(

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: February 21, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
MP tweeted about this. So sad  :'( Does anyone know what happened?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #611 on: February 21, 2016, 09:44:02 AM »
They posted a picture just 5 days ago and said they were working on some new music, so it must have been something sudden even for the band members. :(

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #612 on: February 21, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
Wow, 2016 continues to suck for musicians... I guess it was just a matter of time until someone from a band I love would pass away. :(
They posted a picture just 5 days ago and said they were working on some new music, so it must have been something sudden even for the band members. :(
Yeah, it looked like this year was going to be special for them. I wonder if they can continue with a new guitarist.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:20:01 AM by ? »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #613 on: February 21, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »
I sure hope they can. He was a big part of their sound and I really liked his guitar tone (some of their guitar solos are among my favorite prog guitar solos), but it would really be a bummer if they couldn't continue.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #614 on: February 21, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
Fuck...

Calvin6s

« Reply #615 on: February 21, 2016, 11:33:31 AM »
Horrible news.  Way too young.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #616 on: February 22, 2016, 11:37:38 PM »
Reality Dream DVD seems to be OOP and very hard to find.
I found this on YT, this is how good PG was :)
https://youtu.be/0HWv7YJtYCA

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #617 on: February 23, 2016, 02:11:33 AM »
Gonna listen to Out of Myself.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline darkshade

« Reply #618 on: February 23, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »
Makes me appreciate that all members of DT past and present are still with us, releasing music (as much as I'm on the fence about TA, didn't care for DT12, and not big on Portnoy's recent output)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: February 23, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »
I've always been a casual fan of Riverside, but Piotr's passing has pushed me to really sink my teeth into their albums.  Last night I was hooked on their latest single "Time Travellers."  It's gotta be one of the best songs I've ever heard.  My goodness.  And the childhood pictures at the end of the music video gave me major chills.  Bitter sweet to have discovered it under such circumstances.  RIP, Piotr.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:50:55 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #620 on: February 23, 2016, 09:07:41 AM »
They've always been one of my favorite modern prog bands and for whatever reason, I look at them more fondly than a lot of other bands in the genre. But I kinda listen to them in periods, and with these tragic news I've gotten into another one of those periods.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #621 on: February 23, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »
WTF this is awful. It's so much worse when you don't see it coming.

I've always liked Riverside, but never gave them the time to grow on me... so maybe it's time to give that a try.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #622 on: February 23, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »
I am very new to Riverside..

I discovered them when i heard Discard Your Fear from their latest album.
Love, Fear and the Time Machine ended up being one of my favorite albums of last year.

I was listening to Shrine of New Generation Slaves, and i really like that one as well!

Sad to hear that their guitarist has passed away, i hope this is not the end of this band. R.I.P Piotr.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: February 24, 2016, 08:07:14 AM »
I'm obsessed with Riverside now.  I always had Rapid Eye Movement, but I hadn't listened to it much.  I just ordered the two most recent albums yesterday.  I love Mariusz's lyrics.  They're so introspective.  I feel like I'm undergoing therapy as I listen to some of the songs.  This morning on the way to work I really connected with "Through the Other Side" from Rapid Eye Movement.  Wow, those lyrics.  I feel like I'm exploring the darkest caverns of my soul.  It's bittersweet considering Piotr's passing, but I'm grateful to have discovered my passion for Riverside's music.  I'm eager to explore everything the band has done.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #625 on: February 24, 2016, 08:19:23 AM »
I'm obsessed with Riverside now.  I always had Rapid Eye Movement, but I hadn't listened to it much.  I just ordered the two most recent albums yesterday.  I love Mariusz's lyrics.  They're so introspective.  I feel like I'm undergoing therapy as I listen to some of the songs.  This morning on the way to work I really connected with "Through the Other Side" from Rapid Eye Movement.  Wow, those lyrics.  I feel like I'm exploring the darkest caverns of my soul.  It's bittersweet considering Piotr's passing, but I'm grateful to have discovered my passion for Riverside's music.  I'm eager to explore everything the band has done.
I recommend first two for more of that. Unfortunately, I never got into Rapid Eye Movement but I love every other. I usually overlook them but, in fact, they are one of my favorite bands ever.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #626 on: February 24, 2016, 08:38:21 AM »
Rapid Eye Movement is criminally underrated and definitely on par with Second Life Syndrome and Out of Myself. Beyond the Eyelids and Ultimate Trip are 2 of their best songs, and the album has some other greats like Parasomnia too.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: February 24, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
Rapid Eye Movement is criminally underrated and definitely on par with Second Life Syndrome and Out of Myself. Beyond the Eyelids and Ultimate Trip are 2 of their best songs, and the album has some other greats like Parasomnia too.

Every song is untouchable except "Rainbow Box." Including all the bonus songs. Forever my favourite of their LPs.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #628 on: February 24, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
I don't mind Rainbow Box at all. It has a really catchy riff driving it forward and some nice musical parts. Not one of the best, but not a bad song at all.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #629 on: February 24, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
Those first 2 minutes in «The Depth of Self-Delusion» give me goosebumps...