Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 133317 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #560 on: September 06, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
Just finished my first listen. There were few standouts, but it was a very cohesive and atmospheric record that definitely left a good impression. :tup

Time Travellers was the exception to the no-standouts-rule - holy shit what a song.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #561 on: September 06, 2015, 01:13:44 PM »
Heck no,#Addicted is like the best track.

Definitely one of them, for me.

And yes- Time Travelers is a heck of a song
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline adace

« Reply #562 on: September 06, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
Fantastic album. A lot of parts remind me of Steven Wilson and Pink Floyd.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #563 on: September 06, 2015, 10:02:21 PM »
I shit you not, I popped the CD out, it slipped out of my hand and fell to the floor, where it scared my dog and he pounced on it, scratching it up pretty good.  I tried to repair it, but the first track won't rip, and several others have skips in it.

Fuck...guess I'll just buy the MP3s now.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #564 on: September 06, 2015, 10:36:54 PM »
I'm imagining it happened something like this:

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #565 on: September 07, 2015, 07:23:57 AM »
This feels like it will be a grower. Possibly the most atmospheric Riverside album, taking down the prog a notch and going for something more melodic. A really pleasant listen, feels like a good night album. :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #566 on: September 07, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »
Oh it's still prog but I love when a band doesn't sit still.  It's one of those albums you listen to and a month in and you hear parts you didn't recognize earlier.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: September 07, 2015, 07:47:54 AM »
This album is like Riverside goes Anathema. Time Travellers has strong Pink Floyd/Anathema vibes.

I'm not really in melodic melancholic music mood now so I'm not really hyped about this release. Maybe I will come back to this album later in Fall. This seems to me that they will never make any of ADHD kind of music anymore which is quite sad...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: September 07, 2015, 07:48:42 AM »
Oh it's still prog but I love when a band doesn't sit still.  It's one of those albums you listen to and a month in and you hear parts you didn't recognize earlier.

Yeah I agree. :) I didn't mean the prog was entirely gone, but there's no Second Life Syndrome or Ultimate Trip kind of songs on it. Still, I think a great atmosphere is something Riverside has always been good at, so bringing it out in a more "focused" album like this, really interesting.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #569 on: September 07, 2015, 07:51:34 AM »
I had a long drive and it was playing and next think you know, I was home.  I was so immersed the drive flew by.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #570 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:30 AM »
I enjoyed this album a lot. it's exactly what I love about Riverside.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #571 on: September 07, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »
Yeah from the sound of things I definitely want this album, will get it before the end of the month hopefully  :lol

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: September 07, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
I'm sad the lengthy compositions seem to be out – Memories in My Head may actually be my favourite Riverside release! – but this new one is pretty great. Basically a full length built out of the Voices in My Head approach.

Bonus disc is my favourite part, though. They're so good at instrumental music. Night Session was my favourite part of SONGS and the title track of REM is one of my favourite songs by them, so I guess I was destined to love the LFTM bonus disc anyway!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #573 on: September 07, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
Cool album indeed, did not expect it to be this good. #addicted gives me a strong The Creator Has A Master Tape vibe during that first bass line.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #574 on: September 08, 2015, 05:40:18 AM »
I've not been able to listen to anything else these past couple days.

Since we mentioned Fascination Street with the single, Im getting strong The Cure vibes in a couple places throughout the album. Riverside makes it their own and it really works, so no complaints from me. Especially given how much I adore The Cure.

Online pfillion

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #576 on: September 08, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »
This album was definitely a grower. I was shocked in my first listen. Kept playing it and playing it and right now I just can't stop listening to it. My favorite song has to be the last track and Discard your Fear

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #577 on: September 10, 2015, 02:08:19 PM »
This seems to me that they will never make any of ADHD kind of music anymore which is quite sad...

There's no telling of what they'll do next, but after such a mellow/restrained album, lots of bands go for something more immediate/heavy afterwards.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #578 on: September 10, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
Anyone else getting strong Steven Wilson/PT vibes from the beginning of Towards The Blue Horizon? That falsetto Mariusz does sounds very Steven Wilson-y to me, and reminds me a lot about what I used to love so much with the classic PT albums.

As much as I like progressive Riverside (ADHD is probably my favorite album of theirs, followed by SLS), they do progressive songs really well, but I think this is the kind of album where Mariusz really shines as a vocalist. He has that really nice and peaceful delivery and his voice is really great for the "softer" moments. There's still some heavy moments, but it's more Progressive Rock heavy and less Progressive Metal heavy. (if that makes any sense)

This definitely feels like the most mature album they have done, and you can tell they're more confident in themselves now. SONGS was still a good album, but it felt a bit like playing it safe in some areas, whereas this one, they take the leap of faith and it pays off.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #579 on: September 12, 2015, 05:00:15 PM »
Toward the Blue Horizon sounds almost too much like Anathema's "The Lost Song Part 3"

Discard You Fear is gorgeous.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #580 on: September 12, 2015, 05:33:59 PM »
It's not a word that I use to describe music often, but the whole album is just beautiful. It's not my favourite Riverside album, but it's up there, and it's an incredible addition to their already amazing catalogue.

Top 5 of the year so far for me. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #581 on: September 12, 2015, 05:55:40 PM »
I agree. The whole album is beautiful. I disagree though on the second point- it is absolutely my favorite Riverside album. Definitely top 5 of the year so far for me. Or top 3. Or (dare I say it) top 1.

It's made the strongest first impression on me, that's for sure. It only remains to be seen whether or not it will hold for a long period of time.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #582 on: September 12, 2015, 08:39:05 PM »
I agree. The whole album is beautiful. I disagree though on the second point- it is absolutely my favorite Riverside album. Definitely top 5 of the year so far for me. Or top 3. Or (dare I say it) top 1.

It's made the strongest first impression on me, that's for sure. It only remains to be seen whether or not it will hold for a long period of time.

It's tough, because a lot of great music has just come out, but with enough time settled in I'm still feeling this is my favorite of the last few weeks. Definitely top 5 for the year so far, and potentially my 2nd favorite Riverside album. And that's high praise, as Second Life Syndrome is an all time favorite album for me, and pretty untouchable in the rankings.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #583 on: September 14, 2015, 05:08:28 AM »
Finally got my hands on the CD! The first impression is very positive - this is a beautiful album. :) I'll post a full review later this week.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #584 on: September 14, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »
If I can make it to the show on Wednesday, I'm going to pick this up.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #585 on: September 15, 2015, 06:35:47 AM »
seeing them tonight in philly  :tup

Offline T-ski

« Reply #586 on: September 15, 2015, 08:07:11 AM »
finally picked up the new one, absolutely beautiful album.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #587 on: September 16, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
So. Damn. Good.

Saw Riverside for the 5th time tonight in the fantastic Crossroads Theatre. Pristine sound as I've come to expect from both band and venue, and a performance that was standard Riverside (amazing). I was VERY surprised by the set, not necessarily displeased, but it was very safe, and only had 3 new songs. They've always played very heavily from new albums, so to only hear 15 minutes of new music... very weird.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #588 on: September 17, 2015, 04:57:09 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I too tbought the setlist was safe and would've loved more new material, but given that it was my first time seeing them it didn't bother me as much. I wonder if it's simply because the album is still so new and they figure a lot of people attending the shows haven't had enough time to really digest it. Speaking to some people before their show the other day, I got the feeling that a lot of them still hadn't picked up the album. Their loss...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: September 17, 2015, 05:25:22 AM »
I'll be picking this one up this weekend.  Is the double cd worth getting?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: September 17, 2015, 05:48:05 AM »

CD2 is more along the lines of the bonus disc of SONGS, instrumental and kinda ambient. More along the lines of background music, but I enjoyed it. Depends on how much you value that and what the price difference is I guess.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: September 17, 2015, 05:56:04 AM »

CD2 is more along the lines of the bonus disc of SONGS, instrumental and kinda ambient. More along the lines of background music, but I enjoyed it. Depends on how much you value that and what the price difference is I guess.

Looks like there's quite a price difference for me.  I'm not that into that side of their stuff as much, so I'll probably pass on it.  Thanks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #592 on: September 17, 2015, 06:26:03 AM »
Understandable. :) I do like that side of them (which is closer to Mariusz's other project Lunatic Soul), but it's also not something I will reach for as often as Riverside. Something you can put on every once in a while for some chill background music, but not to the same extent as you want to listen to Riverside's "regular" stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: September 17, 2015, 06:27:15 AM »
The website from the store I buy my cd's from has the regular edition for $14.99 and the 2CD for $29.99 so it's a no brainer for me.  I can purchase the second cd digitally online if I must.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #594 on: September 17, 2015, 07:20:12 AM »
Woah that's a big difference. I got the 2CD version fairly cheap from Amazon, but I only bother with 2CD-versions if 1. the price difference is not that big, 2. i want the bonus material, or 3. i love the artist so much I want it just for discography collection purposes. But the double price for 5 extra instrumental songs.. yeah that's a lot.  :lol