Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 133886 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #525 on: July 10, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
Just listened to the new song and I definitely hear the influence of The Cure's Fascination Street in the song. On first listen, it's an OK song, but it doesn't grab me the same way that a lot of their other music did. Perhaps on further listens I'll latch on to it more.

Gotta say that I'm glad I'm not alone in my belief that ADHD is Riverside's best album. For me, it's one of the albums I can listen to all the way thru without the need to skip any songs. Quite frankly, to me blast beats are nothing more than an exercise in endurance and I hate them (especially MP's arbitrary use of them in ANtR); the fact that Mitloff managed to included some blastbeats in Hybrid Times (at 8:34 to 8:38) that actually fit and punctuate the music is very impressive.

I'd rank ADHD first, SLS second, REM and OoM tie for third, and SoNGS last. Hope this new one is at least as good as SLS, but if this first song is any indication, I'll probably rank the new album just above SoNGS. Nonetheless, I'm glad they're putting out new music - it's just that I have high expectations based on their previous body of work.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online faizoff

« Reply #526 on: July 10, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »
Very surprised with the lack of love for SONGS I think it's just as good as any of their other albums.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #527 on: July 10, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »
Yes I quite like SONGS and being relatively new to te band didn't even realize that it was generally one of the least liked Riverside albums.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #528 on: July 10, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
I mean it's pretty good, I just happen to like it the least. Still not bad. I guess if I had to point my finger to anything specific, it felt a bit like "more of the same", following in the style of the first 3 albums and the EP that came out just before it, I probably liked that EP a tiny bit more. Really solid EP. SONGS is pretty good though.

For me it goes something like:

ADHD
SLS
REM
OOM
(Memories in my Head)
(Voices in my Head)
SONGS

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #529 on: July 10, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
ADHD
SLS
REM
SONGS
OOM

They are all fantastic though, and I really have to check out the EPs.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: July 10, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
I don't get why ADHD is so popular here compared to the trilogy. The lyrics are way more cringeworthy when they attempt to be "contemporary" (same happened to FOABP by Porcupine Tree) and the style seems content to rip off other bands more than they used to. I guess I just prefer the band 'in their own heads' writing about a story no one else really gets!

REM
SLS
OOM
MIMH
VIMH
ADHD
SONGS

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #531 on: July 10, 2015, 08:00:44 PM »
what bands are they ripping off, no bands i know of
just sounds like a damn fine 45 minutes of music to me

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #532 on: July 10, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »
The only band I find somehow close to being ripped off in that album is Tool. But I'd take any Riverside album over Lateralus tho.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #533 on: July 10, 2015, 09:58:22 PM »
ADHD is just perfection.   I really love almost everything from them (actually been listening to Memories In My Head quite a bit lately) but ADHD is just a masterpiece.   Every note on that album is brilliant.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #534 on: July 10, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »
The only band I find somehow close to being ripped off in that album is Tool. But I'd take any Riverside album over Lateralus tho.
lateralus is great shut up
i've never listened to any other tool though really

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #535 on: July 11, 2015, 03:22:21 AM »
ADHD is just perfection.   I really love almost everything from them (actually been listening to Memories In My Head quite a bit lately) but ADHD is just a masterpiece.   Every note on that album is brilliant.

Yeah I agree entirely. I'm actually really stoked to see so much love for ADHD on here, I was under the impression it was one of their least liked records. I saw them for the first time last year and was hoping and praying they'd play some of that album, and they went and played my absolute favourite track, Egoist Hedonist. I was in heaven. I love it when something that seems quite random like that just falls into place.

And totally right on the every note being flawless thing... I think the shorter the album, usually the higher the chance of it being flawless, I've thought for ages that ADHD is in my very short list of 'flawless' albums, not a note wrong, not a single track I skip... the albums I think that about all tend to be maybe 5-6 tracks long (Wilson's Raven and obviously Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here for example). I love it when a band condenses what they have to say into a handful of songs but they're all killer.

Today I'm still listening to the new Riverside track. I'm really excited for the new album! Seeing them at a festival in a few weeks and then their own show later this year. I really mean it when I say I don't think I've ever enjoyed a band live as much as Riverside. I was on a high for weeks afterwards. They're one of the few bands where I go and see their show and the very first thing I wanna listen to afterwards for days on end is their music. I just think they're so underrated.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #536 on: July 16, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
I heard the "Love" trailer this morning, and it got me really excited.   Just a BEAUTIFUL teaser.

However, the trailer prompted me to listen to the official lyric video of Discard Your Fear for the first time.   ...and I'm really not feeling it.    Kinda dig The Cure Fascination Street vibe on the intro, but honestly the song itself is just...well, boring actually.   I like the intro OK (even though it's a bit of a rip off) and I like the slightly heavier outro a bit better.   But mostly this just sounds like a band that's bored.    I'm hoping that I can listen to it a few more times and maybe it will grow on me...but honestly, this is hitting me like Yes' last album. 

I'm also hold out hope that maybe (like many singles tend to be) this is not representative of the rest of the album.     I'm sure I'll still buy it first day, but at this point it's just based on hope and faith and wanting to give them a chance based on past glories.     Because if I had heard this song from a newer band, I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in buying the album.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #537 on: August 07, 2015, 04:53:57 AM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #538 on: August 07, 2015, 07:23:17 AM »
Love the little snippets, they sound awesome so far.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #539 on: August 13, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
Just did an AMAZING 25 minute interview with Mariusz today to discuss everything going on with Riverside.

This is also a very touching and hard hitting interview once we start really getting into detail. I hope you dig it!

https://youtu.be/YBj85Z-rn7A
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #540 on: August 31, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
from the reviews of this I've seen it sounds like it's a much lighter record than their previous stuff
i've also heard "it's better than SoNGS" which I like to hear even tho that's pretty subjective

Offline pfillion

Offline pfillion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #543 on: September 02, 2015, 10:37:46 PM »
Sounds right up my alley. I enjoy their softer stuff more.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #544 on: September 02, 2015, 10:41:24 PM »
ADHD is far and away my favorite Riverside so I'd definitely say I prefer their loud but I have faith that this'll be a pretty interesting record if nothing else

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #545 on: September 03, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
I'm looking forward to this album so much. This past year I've listened to so much more Riverside than I ever did before and I'm really excited to hear the new, softer sound. I can foresee it getting a bit of backlash, perhaps similar to how many old school Anathema fans rejected We're Here Because We're Here and beyond, but I adore Riverside's more quiet and peaceful pieces.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #546 on: September 03, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »
I mean SONGS is pretty good, I just happen to like it the least. Still not bad. I guess if I had to point my finger to anything specific, it felt a bit like "more of the same", following in the style of the first 3 albums...

I always thought it stood out from their older stuff like ADHD did (though definitely not as much as ADHD). then again, I don't know preADHD inside out.

what bands are they ripping off, no bands i know of
just sounds like a damn fine 45 minutes of music to me

I used to pimp the fuck outta ADHD on friends. I had a nice little write up for it; a recipe of ingredients that went into the making of the masterpiece. Two tea spoons of this band, a dash of that, and a pinch of this...I wish I could find my write up. I'm sure it included five bands, but I can't remember the fifth. Anyway, I think you can hear Tool, Dream Theater, Opeth, and Porcupine Tree influences all over this beast. If I go spin it, maybe it'll jog my memory on the other.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:15:10 PM by pain of occupation »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #547 on: September 03, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
Pretty much every album in a genre can be described as a pinch of that, a dish of the other - that and other being one of the older, most respected representatives of said genre.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #548 on: September 04, 2015, 07:55:32 AM »
I've only listened twice. Obviously going to need a lot more, but so far I'm really excited about this album.

Sometimes less is more.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #549 on: September 04, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
I just watched the video they released. Not a fan of the song, especially compared to the one they released previously. I guess that's the radio friendly song?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #550 on: September 04, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
Wow!  Why are people not talking more about this?     Probably because, like me, many were underwhelmed by SONGS and the new single. 

I just listened to it on the one hour drive home from the CD shop and I *LLLLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEEEDDDDDD*** it.    The single is the weakest track, and I can tell you right now that this album has a similar feel to SONGS, but the ideas just sound like they were more honed.   I always felt like the stuff on SONGS sounded very aimless.   Even the short songs mostly had me thinking, "where is this headed?"   And the epics just sounded meandering.    The material was OK, but it just didn't sound like it was done yet.   Like it was a nice jam session, but not really a cohesive album.

This album is totally different story for me.   Love the songs, love the lyrical ideas.   The first spin just blew me away. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #551 on: September 04, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »
Probably because it's only been just released today.
Some countries, such as mine, it's not out until next friday.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #552 on: September 04, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »
Record store didn't have the 2-disc version. Clerk checked the database and told me that version's Europe only? Oh well. Settled for what I found.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #553 on: September 04, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
Glad to see you enjoying it jammin. I've listened to it a dozen times today, no joke. It's just been on repeat

I too love it, so far. Not going to compare it to the other albums until it's settled in a bit more for me, but it's definitely one of my favorite albums of the year so far, if not my single favorite. One thing I will disagree with you on is the single. Discard Your Fear is still one of my favorites, but the whole album is fantastic start to finish. Standouts being #Addicted, Towards the Blue Horizon, Time Travelers, and Lost.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #554 on: September 05, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #555 on: September 05, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
I freekin' love this album!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #556 on: September 05, 2015, 04:50:58 PM »
After hearing Riverside a few times and liking them each time but forgetting about them soon after each time, I saw that they'd released a new album. Just had a few listens on Spotify. All I can say is: wow! This is right up my alley.

Time Travellers is just... holy shit.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #557 on: September 05, 2015, 07:32:31 PM »
I was pretty "meh" on this album at first, but I just finished my third spin and now I'm really enjoying it. They really ran with the laid-back, tranquil vibe on this one, and executed it quite well, I think. There are a couple of weak songs, though. #Addicted is pretty bad, in particular. (stupid name, too)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #558 on: September 06, 2015, 03:48:07 AM »
Heck no,#Addicted is like the best track.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #559 on: September 06, 2015, 04:04:07 AM »
My local record store didn't have any copies on Friday, but hopefully I'll get it soon.