Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 133816 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #490 on: March 31, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
I feel like it's a shame that Rapid Eye Movement doesn't get more love. Beyond the Eyelids and Ultimate Trip are both top5 Riverside songs imo. And the rest of the album is pretty great as well.

yess! out of the whole album, bonuses included, the only song i'm not into is "Rainbow Box." otherwise, it's home to a vast amount of RS classics, from the prog powerhouses (UT and BTE, like you said, but also the title track) to the quiet heartbreakers ("Through the Other Side" and "Embryonic" are just breathtaking) and the catchy but unique singles ("O2 Panic Room" is just impeccable, same goes for "Schizophrenic Prayer" and even "Cybernetic Pillow"). the only sucky part is leaving off the finale of the Reality Dream instrumentals to a bonus track.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #491 on: January 15, 2015, 09:48:35 AM »
"Love, Fear and the Time Machine" - this is the title of the sixth Riverside album. The band have just finished composing the new material.

"Our sixth album, six words in the title, sixty minutes of new music, that's about how long the new release will be. And we won't be playing hard rock any more", Mariusz Duda laughs. "There will be many more melodies dressed in completely different shades. We're changing and evolving as a band, we're growing up but most of all we want to keep recording different albums which are simply great to listen to. And the new one will be like a deep breath of fresh air, very different to what we'd done before."

"Love, fear and the times that have shaped us have the biggest influence on our life choices. The lyrics will be about everything that pushes us to make the most important decisions in our life."

The band are going to start recording the new material in March and it will be possible to follow the progress of their work on a special Instagram profile (www.instagram.com/riversideband.pl) The album will be released in August/September 2015 and some of the new songs will be played at this year's summer festivals. More information will follow soon…

Kind of a stupid title to be honest, but it should be good. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #492 on: January 15, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
I was hoping for another cool abbreviation like ADHD or SONGS, but oh well... :P

EDIT: If you abbreviate the capitalized words in the title, you get this: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LFTM

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #493 on: January 15, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »
I'm a big fan of their music, but their titles are just the worst.  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #494 on: January 15, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
Really looking forward to this! I loved SONGS and remember being surprised, at the time, that it didn't seem to get more praise. Second Life Syndrome is probably my favorite of their albums at this point and Anno Domino HD is definitely my least favorite.

Interesting, though not entirely surprising, to hear that they're moving away from the hard rock sound. I wonder if they're going to start introducing more electronic elements a la the most recent Lunatic Soul album.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #495 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »
Other than ADHD and SONGS their titles are fine and this sounds pretty cool as well.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #496 on: January 15, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
I hope the "we're done playing hard rock" means they are going back to the sound they had one their first two albums.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: January 15, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »
I thought that was what SoNGS was. That album felt like a return to the OoM/SLS/REM sound.

Offline adace

« Reply #498 on: January 15, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
Love SONGS, can't wait for the new one!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #499 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:24 PM »
I thought that was what SoNGS was. That album felt like a return to the OoM/SLS/REM sound.

exactly
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #500 on: January 15, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
SoNGS wasn't really a look back, IMO. They specifically released an EP of material looking back at the past with the intention of then pushing into the future. SoNGS was as much of a departure from Anno as Anno was from the trilogy. Not sure what to make about the comments of the sound of the new record, but I am certainly looking forward to it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #501 on: January 16, 2015, 10:24:21 AM »
Can I just point out we're getting new albums from Dream Theater, BTBAM, AND Riverside this fall? :o
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »
I would say SoNGS was a mild disappointment after ADHD, which might even be my favorite of theirs. SoNGS was great but haven't had much replay value for me, sadly. I'm excited for a new album though, even if it's not on my most anticipated list. A new BTBAM could be cool, but I think the DT ship sailed a long time ago. Basically no hype at all after DT12. But that's just me of course.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »
I would say SoNGS was a mild disappointment after ADHD, which might even be my favorite of theirs. SoNGS was great but haven't had much replay value for me, sadly. I'm excited for a new album though, even if it's not on my most anticipated list.

This is exactly the way I feel.   I love everything Riverside has ever done top to bottom, but ADHD is just a straight up 45 minute masterpiece.   SONGS was really good, but a bit of let down.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #504 on: July 09, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
I've been on a bit of a Riverside kick of late, in part because I'm going to be seeing them live this fall. They've just released full list of tour dates for the U.S. and Europe alike, and the first single from their upcoming album.

https://youtu.be/Vc4MSBVLF2c

I adore the single already and hope it's a good indicator for where the album is going to go. Reading through some comments it seems like people are already starting to reminisce on the older and darker brand of Riverside, which I also happen to adore, but I'm kind of hoping this one is a bit more on the light and peaceful side of things (as this single would suggest). Anyways, just a couple months away now, this album is on my radar in a big way right now.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #505 on: July 09, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »
Their last album was a mild disappointment for me. I still enjoyed it, liked it quite a bit, but few of the songs "clicked" more than that. ADHD is probably my favorite, though REM and SLS are not far behind. I gotta say, the artwork for the new album is amazing. Probably their best. I don't mind them going a bit more 80s with this album, honestly that has me intrigued on what to expect. I think this can prove a really nice surprise.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #506 on: July 09, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »
Yes that's a good point and something that immediately struck me as well- the artwork is gorgeous. At this point in my Riverside exploration I'm not exactly sure how I would rank the albums, but I think Second Life Syndrome would probably top the list most of the time.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: July 09, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
I've been on a bit of a Riverside kick of late, in part because I'm going to be seeing them live this fall. They've just released full list of tour dates for the U.S. and Europe alike, and the first single from their upcoming album.

https://youtu.be/Vc4MSBVLF2c

I adore the single already and hope it's a good indicator for where the album is going to go. Reading through some comments it seems like people are already starting to reminisce on the older and darker brand of Riverside, which I also happen to adore, but I'm kind of hoping this one is a bit more on the light and peaceful side of things (as this single would suggest). Anyways, just a couple months away now, this album is on my radar in a big way right now.

I dunno, that was pretty generic by Riverside standards, imo. Another 7 minute song that's really 4 minutes with needless bits that go nowhere extending it out. And without the usual amazing hook they usually plant in singles – those incredible parts in "Celebrity Touch," for instance, or pretty much every part of "We Got Used to Us." Hopefully the rest of it will make up for a meh single.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #508 on: July 09, 2015, 11:21:12 AM »
I really liked it. Reminded me slightly of dna ts. rednum or f. raf + Stuck Between but made through the prism of the last 2 albums.

If they cut the song to under 5 minutes, this could be a good candidate for a radio single. If people actually care about those anymore.

Online faizoff

« Reply #509 on: July 09, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
I love all the Riverside material and this is no different, I love the progression of the band and their live dvd was a tight set.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #510 on: July 09, 2015, 11:46:44 AM »
/off
I left YT playing in the background so it moved on from Riverside to another IO band I hadn't heard before - The Tea Party. Wow. This was an instant click for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhAxKBmZz8

Online faizoff

« Reply #511 on: July 09, 2015, 12:52:49 PM »
The Tea Party are an amazing band as well though I haven't heard the new stuff after their reunion.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #512 on: July 09, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »
That bassline reminds me of The Cure - I can definitely hear the 80s vibe. Hopefully the new album will be better than SONGS.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #513 on: July 09, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »
yeah it'd be hard for a new album not to be an improvement over songs imo

one day I'll go and get Rapid Eye Movement since that's the only Riverside I never got for some reason, but yeah pretty excited for this new album, likin' the atmosphere of the single a lot

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #514 on: July 09, 2015, 01:36:11 PM »
SONGS was pretty awesome, but then I remembered that Parama never likes anything, so I was like "oh, OK".

:P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #515 on: July 09, 2015, 02:31:31 PM »
I guess I liked that song, having played it five times today already.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: July 09, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »
/off
I left YT playing in the background so it moved on from Riverside to another IO band I hadn't heard before - The Tea Party. Wow. This was an instant click for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhAxKBmZz8

Well that's an interesting band to link from Riverside! If you like that song, wait 'til you hear The Interzone Mantras, or The Edges of Twilight.  :eek

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #517 on: July 09, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
SONGS was pretty awesome, but then I remembered that Parama never likes anything, so I was like "oh, OK".

:P
I absolutely love ADHD (still spin it pretty often) and Out of Myself and Second Life Syndrome are both good too  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #518 on: July 09, 2015, 03:41:04 PM »
I didn't like the single that much tbh. The chorus sounded a bit generic for me.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #519 on: July 10, 2015, 10:18:39 AM »
I'm actually loving this track, I thought it was alright at first but it grew on me within a few plays and I've had it on almost repeat since last night.

The good: I actually think this is an incredibly beautiful song, the chorus is gorgeous, it's nothing unusual or inventive, it's just straight forward and beautiful. I love the part when the bass riff gets a little more complex and twangy, but I think my favourite musical element of the track has to be the guitar work, it's really understated and just adds this colour to the track, shows how powerful the simple use of a few notes can be.

The bad: the lyrics are standard generic cheesy lyrics that are guaranteed to mean something to everyone... however in a weird way, combined with the music they're actually pretty powerful. Took me a while to work out what 'but the spring-loaded bar' meant when it sounds like 'bear' with a Polish accent haha. Also it's a pretty formulaic track overall, that's more of a neutral as something doesn't have to be progressive to be freakin' awesome, but I think it'll disappoint some fans. Also the lyrics sound like the motivational posters I have up in my office lol. Bonus points for the word 'hewn' though. Even I don't use that and I'm english. Sometimes the heavy riff part sounds a bit copy and pasted in, it's the most obvious inspiration-less part of the track for me I think.

But yeah, I really am loving this. It gives me a really good vibe for the record as a whole. I love that as a band they're not afraid to step back and write something really simple and gorgeous without the pressure to make it really heavy or 'proggy'. I liked the video too. Something about reading the lyrics along with first listen made it mean a lot more to me, like I say I know it's super cheesy generic stuff but I dunno, personal events and whatever, I felt like I really needed this track right now. Took an hour walk after work round some countryside just listening to this on repeat and thinking. Yeah, I'm happy.

Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #520 on: July 10, 2015, 10:23:49 AM »
My ranking because I got curious and figured it out:

ADHD
Second Life Syndrome
Out of Myself
SONGS
REM

ADHD is one of my favourite albums of all time by anyone, it's flawless. Every song is killer but Egoist Hedonist is a massive standout track. I actually do really like parts of SONGS, but I think it's usually pushed up in my estimation by the brilliant of New Generation Slave and Celebrity Touch. Both of those songs are just straight up balls to the wall rock tracks that never fail to energise me and get me moving, they're awesome. The rest of the album I barely listen to but those two tracks I listen to disproportionately often.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #521 on: July 10, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »
I agree with pretty much everything Nightmare Cinema said. A little bit of cheese never hurt anyone.

That bassline reminds me of The Cure - I can definitely hear the 80s vibe.

Good call, I hear Fascination Street. That kind of a comparison can only bode well in my opinion.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #522 on: July 10, 2015, 11:12:57 AM »
Seeing REM last hurts. :( Beyond the Eyelids and Ultimate Trip are both top5 Riverside songs for me.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #523 on: July 10, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
Seeing REM last hurts. :( Beyond the Eyelids and Ultimate Trip are both top5 Riverside songs for me.

I'm listening to those two songs now... maybe I just don't know that album as well as I should. I really like Panic Room but none of the others are familiar which makes me think when I first got it I didn't give it enough of a shot.

Something's gotta be last though eh :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #524 on: July 10, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
SLS
ADHD

SONGS

Their other stuff - I'm not familiar with it yet.