Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 131879 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2010, 05:07:09 AM »
I still think it's pretty fascinating that SW doesn't like them, or at least that's the image i've gotten from him calling them "regressive". :P

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2010, 06:10:14 AM »
When did he say that? Because their last two albums absolutely destroy PT's two and SW's solo. To each his own, doesn't come in the way of me enjoying both bands.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2010, 06:21:13 AM »
When did he say that? Because their last two albums absolutely destroy PT's two and SW's solo. To each his own, doesn't come in the way of me enjoying both bands.

He said it in some interview if i don't remember it wrong.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2010, 07:43:25 AM »
Im really starting to warm up to their latest album :metal
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »
I still think it's pretty fascinating that SW doesn't like them, or at least that's the image i've gotten from him calling them "regressive". :P

:lol  What is this hang-up Steven Wilson has with being progressive /regressive

Anyway, maybe there's a touch of professional jealousy?  In terms of musical style, Riverside occupies a very similar space that PT does, and maybe that comment was a way for SW to put some distance between the two bands.  If anything, Riverside has been the more "progressive" of the two, especially with their last couple of albums. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Volk9

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2010, 08:26:05 AM »

:lol  What is this hang-up Steven Wilson has with being progressive /regressive

Anyway, maybe there's a touch of professional jealousy?  In terms of musical style, Riverside occupies a very similar space that PT does, and maybe that comment was a way for SW to put some distance between the two bands.  If anything, Riverside has been the more "progressive" of the two, especially with their last couple of albums. 

Agreed

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »
I'd say go for it with the survivor. I would vote every round ;D
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »
?!? I remember quite the opposite, him saying that he finds them an interesting band and that it would be cool to take them on a tour some time. Also on the concert in Wroclaw he joked seeing plenty of Riverside T-shirts (myself included), asking if there's any connection between Riverside and Poland :lol didn't feel anything negative in it.

And damn it, people should stop with PT and Riverside comparisons once and for all. Even though they're generally liked by more or less the same people, they have stopped even being similar in any way. Different musical styles, different ideas, different approach to creating music (maybe except the great care for making coherent albums and not a bunch of songs).

I'd say go for it with the survivor. I would vote every round ;D
Good, but I need more opinions, anyone?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2010, 03:20:59 PM »
Well, my guess is that Riverside is a band that SW doesn't dislike, but also doesn't LOVE.
Obviously it's just a guess, and i base it on what i've seen/heard from different places.
Maybe it's the opposite.

Anyhow, i don't think Riverside sounds at all similar to PT.
Surely you can hear influences, but Riverside is awesome, and they're not some ripoff-band.

Offline jag66

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
Been checking these guys out recently. I think SLS is pretty mindblowing, but not so sure about OoM. Not tried the others yet, guess I'll check out REM which appears to have mixed opinions.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »
REM is my definite favourite (third favourite album ever) but for most people the most difficult to get into. It's a "only listen to at night" type of album and really requires you to get into the atmosphere, but once you do, it's absolutely incredible. Also definitely the most experimental part of the trilogy, they pulled off some things there that had never appeared before (or after).

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2010, 02:23:45 AM »
I still think ADHD is the best, but after that it's either REM or SLS, haven't really made up my mind about that yet.
OoM hasn't impressed me that much, listened to it twice or something, but no songs on it had power enough to drag me into it. :o

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »
Out of Myself is the kind of album I wouldn't call amazing or anything, but I really love listening to anyway and I absolutely never get tired of it. It's just incredibly beautiful in every way, and even though it's very monolithic and holding pretty much to one style throughout, it's not even a bit boring. I rank it the lowest... but well, I love listening to it, always. I was surprised to find once on last.fm that out of nowhere it became my top 3 listened album or something, after REM and Pain of Salvation "The Perfect Element" (I had been listening to that one a lot as well).

Btw, I repeat:
I want to start a Riverside survivor, but I need more feedback. Is anyone interested?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »
Yeah count me in, ofcourse I'm interested.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Volk9

« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2010, 09:31:12 PM »
Im game, but I only have two albums

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:29 AM »
I would but I always forget to vote in them, you'd have to pm me every round or something :-\

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2010, 11:15:58 AM »
OK guys:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=12025.0

Please vote. And I'd be grateful for regular voting. :) From SLS onwards it will probably be much easier (since Out of Myself seems to be the least known here), so it's now when it's the most important.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
[bump]

Three things:
1) I just found out something interesting, related to the SW topic... Apparently he was interested in mixing Second Life Syndrome, he contacted InsideOut about that :P

2) No idea how it has never made it to this thread:
Lunatic Soul II is being created and should be released at the end of the year. Apparently it's going to be the opposite of the first album (except, obviously, that it will still have no electric guitars). More info: https://www.riverside.art.pl/en/news (scroll down a bit, haven't found a way to link directly).

3) My own news: Second Life Syndrome survivor will start tomorrow. If you're interested, take a look at the P/S section now and then. :) I hope to get more people following it than in case of Out of Myself (but apparently there were five people voting regularily anyway - thanks a lot :) ).

Offline faemir

« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2010, 05:18:15 AM »
I missed the OOM survivor? Laaame. If someone PM'd me when I need to vote, I would participate in far more.

Also, new album wooo! ADHD was definitely better than REM. I just noticed down the page they are touring with PRR too :sadpanda:

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2010, 06:28:52 AM »
New Lunatic Soul, which is Mariusz's side project. And after the first one, I'm definitely looking forward to the second one.

Well, I thought it's not so hard to notice :P

Offline faemir

« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
Man, Mariusz' voice is so nice. The start of Egoist Hedonist :heart

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:24 PM »
Man, Mariusz' voice is so nice. The start of Egoist Hedonist :heart

Left Out..
Has several lines that just sends shivers down my spine, especially the lines:
"One day we could've met
And believed
We might live that way
"

:heart :heart :heart

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »
Hey Riverside fans, what album is the "heaviest" by the band, in terms of guitars, and dark atmosphere?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
Hmm, the first three albums are all dark and heavy in their own way, hard to pick one, I just know it's not the new one.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »
So, Out of Myself, Second Life Syndrome, and Rapid Eye Movement all would be fine as a place to start?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »
Rapid Eye Movement is probably the darkest.
And i'm not sure Nick, ADHD has some of their heaviest riffs in their catalog, but overall it isn't super-heavy.
Though their earlier albums aren't really that heavy either.  :P

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2010, 03:03:18 PM »
I'm not talking Pantera, Dream Theater, Megadeth riffage, per se. When I refer to guitar-heavy riffage, I'm referring to probably something akin to TOOL, which is, without hearing anything of Riverside, is how I envision them...TOOL meets Porcupine Tree.

Would that be an accurate guess on the sound?

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »
In terms of heaviness + dark atmosphere, without doubt Rapid Eye Movement. It's comparable in heaviness to Second Life Syndrome, but hands down their darkest and most difficult effort to date (and also my third favourite album ever created).

If more straightforward heaviness, Anno Domini High Definition without doubt, it's the most progressive metal-oriented of them all, and it's executed perfectly as well. I think that would also be a good place to start for you if you're into heavier things, as Rapid Eye Movement is not very accessible for most people, but that's just my suggestion. :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2010, 02:49:16 AM »
I was just listening to Anno Domini, and man is Left Out awesome.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2010, 06:56:58 AM »
I'm not talking Pantera, Dream Theater, Megadeth riffage, per se. When I refer to guitar-heavy riffage, I'm referring to probably something akin to TOOL, which is, without hearing anything of Riverside, is how I envision them...TOOL meets Porcupine Tree.

Samsara, I would recommend Second Life Syndrome to start.   Riverside doesn't really have much Tool in them.  They are a lot mellower... more like Pink Floyd meets Porcupine Tree IMO.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »
PF meets PT is a pretty good description, though I don't think they're as amazing as that description sounds. In my eyes they're really a sub-top band, not incredibly awesome but fun to listen to nonetheless. I have heard all their songs, and they never wowed me with anything. It's all pretty comfy and atmospherish.. but the singing is always the same, with his 'whispers' and the indian-like shouting: GAH!. I don't know.. drummer has no groove, that's for sure.

The hammond organ is where it's at IMO. If they didn't feature that instrument enough, I wouldn't be listening to Riverside.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »

Samsara, I would recommend Second Life Syndrome to start.   Riverside doesn't really have much Tool in them.  They are a lot mellower... more like Pink Floyd meets Porcupine Tree IMO.

Interesting. Ok, But what era PT...more recent (heavier) or the more eclectic earlier stuff?

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2010, 09:51:37 AM »

Interesting. Ok, But what era PT...more recent (heavier) or the more eclectic earlier stuff?

I'd say Signify-era PT.
Though Rapid Eye Movement surely has some connections to Fear of a Blank Planet in terms of dark/heavy-epicness.

Offline faemir

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2010, 05:31:16 AM »
PF meets PT is a pretty good description, though I don't think they're as amazing as that description sounds.

I do :D

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2010, 07:51:24 AM »
I always thought PT was the new PF... *runs*

:loser: