Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 113175 times)

Offline Xanthul

Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #735 on: September 11, 2014, 02:26:51 AM »
I would go with:

One slow / ambient track: Terminal, Wind Won't Howl, When You're Ready, Memory Daydreams Lapses...
One heavier track: False Start, Escape Artist, Free...
One typical OSI track: Head, Bigger Wave, Simple Life, Blood...

Out of these my favorite trio would probably be Terminal, False Start, Blood (yeah you can guess which my favorite album is)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: September 12, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
With ProgPower being held this weekend in Atlanta, the thought popped into my head of having a one-time OSI show at Progpower. For whatever reason, a full-on tour hasn't happened, but what about just a single appearance. The venue is indoor, and it would be a good audience for the band. I say they play the debut album Office of Strategic Influence start to finish, because that would be killer. And a movie screen behind them playing stuff like the video from "Horsehoes & B52s." OSI could headline one of the nights, or be the second to last band one night.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:23:13 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #737 on: January 02, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »
I know it's a song that's pretty divided, but god damn I was just reminded how much I love Memory Daydreams Lapses. Its got such an ominous force to it without the song itself being overly heavy. It's foreboding in its way.

That softly spoken repetitious line of "A loss has occurred or may occur" is haunting. Reminds me of something I'd hear out of a Fallout-centric Tron movie or something. Shits cray. I love it. Anyway, also here to say I miss OSI and while Fire Make Thunder is my least favorite of the guys, I still loved it and listen to it from time to time, but I love their old stuff. Even so, I'd really love if they got back together some day. Here's hoping.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #738 on: January 02, 2015, 12:35:32 AM »
I know it's a song that's pretty divided, but god damn I was just reminded how much I love Memory Daydreams Lapses. Its got such an ominous force to it without the song itself being overly heavy. It's foreboding in its way.

That softly spoken repetitious line of "A loss has occurred or may occur" is haunting. Reminds me of something I'd hear out of a Fallout-centric Tron movie or something. Shits cray. I love it. Anyway, also here to say I miss OSI and while Fire Make Thunder is my least favorite of the guys, I still loved it and listen to it from time to time, but I love their old stuff. Even so, I'd really love if they got back together some day. Here's hoping.

It's one of my favorite OSI songs, if not #1. I just checked previous posts of mine because I hate being inconsistent (though preferences do evolve over time) and I placed it at #2 a while ago. I am not dissapoint.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #739 on: January 02, 2015, 08:54:37 AM »
I was listening to most of OSI yesterday and MDL popped up. I loved it before but it was a while since I last listened to it and it seems like I like it even more now. It's such a great song, especially the ending.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #740 on: January 20, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »
Just spent the last week or so listening to OSI in my car, finished the third album yesterday. I still maintain that their first album is my favorite, I love the harder, more metal-edge that album has, harkening back to the original ideas that Mike and Jim had for the project, though I do enjoy Free and Blood. It's been some time since I've spun FMT, so I'll have to give that a listen sometime soon.

Has there been any news regarding OSI? It seemed like they were on a 3-year pattern, with OSI in 2003, Free in 2006, Blood in 2009, and FMT  in 2012, but it's been almost 5 years since they release FMT, so I'm curious if Kevin or Jim have said anything about the band continuing, or if FMT was their last effort together?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: January 20, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
Has there been any news regarding OSI? It seemed like they were on a 3-year pattern, with OSI in 2003, Free in 2006, Blood in 2009, and FMT  in 2012, but it's been almost 5 years since they release FMT, so I'm curious if Kevin or Jim have said anything about the band continuing, or if FMT was their last effort together?

-Marc.

Jim addressed OSI's status in some interviews last year for Fates Warning's Theories of Flight album.  This is what he said: "Kevin and I are both busy doing other things.  I believe Kevin is experimenting and working on some Chroma Key material right now, so who knows...  In the future I would love to do it and if it happens that's great, but there are no plans right now.  My main focus for at least the rest of this year and probably next year is going to be Fates Warning."

Jim and Kevin work so well together.  It would definitely be great to get some new music from them at some point!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #742 on: January 20, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »
I definitely don't see an OSI album before 2018.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: January 20, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
Yeah, I can't see anything happening soon. Fates Warning may be having a resurgence of sorts, and Kevin hasn't been keeping up with his solo stuff like he was supposed to as it is. I can't wait for them to do another album, though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #744 on: January 25, 2017, 04:22:58 AM »
there's also likely another Arch/Matheos album eventually for Jim.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #745 on: January 30, 2017, 08:04:03 AM »
As much as I like OSI, I'd rather have another Arch/Matheos or Fates Warning album (can't really tell the difference, because in my world Sympathetic Resonance was a Fates Warning album.)

FMT was a big drop in quality. It had about 10 minutes I have enjoyed.
If there's going to be another OSI album, is it imaginable to experiment with a different lead singer ?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: January 30, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »
As much as I like OSI, I'd rather have another Arch/Matheos or Fates Warning album (can't really tell the difference, because in my world Sympathetic Resonance was a Fates Warning album.)

FMT was a big drop in quality. It had about 10 minutes I have enjoyed.
If there's going to be another OSI album, is it imaginable to experiment with a different lead singer ?
I would gladly take another Arch/Matheos or Fates Warning album, as the last album from each has been stellar, but I disagree with you on FMT. It's not their best, but I didn't think it was a significant dropoff at all.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: March 09, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
I already knew the answer to this question before I asked it, but I know Mike Portnoy is very anniversary conscious so I thought maybe he'd be inclined to reach out to Jim and Kevin for a 15th anniversary show for OSI's debut album, lol.  Oh well.  Maybe some day!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: March 09, 2018, 02:22:20 PM »
I wonder why they never did any shows. Where there just not enough draw to see an osi show?

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #749 on: March 09, 2018, 03:06:09 PM »
I wonder why they never did any shows. Where there just not enough draw to see an osi show?

I remember when they were doing Blood, there was some Metal Blade "interview" with Jim and Kevin, and they basically said they'd like to do shows, but it has to make sense timing and interest-wise. My guess is, those two things didn't work out. Fates ramped up activity, and Kevin is doing music on the side and I believe (Mebert help me out here) he was pursuing a degree of some sort? Med school? I could be off there. Thought I remembered something like that.

OSI was a cool project. I was fortunate enough to see them do SHUTdown in 2003 as a special treat during Fates Warning's set opening for DT and QR.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: March 09, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »
It's a shame, I would've loved to have seen a live show. I wonder if there will ever be another OSI album.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: March 09, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
I recall either Jim or Kevin saying in an interview a while back that OSI's music is the sort that would take a whole lot of work to make happen on stage. While that may be somewhat true, it definitely seemed like it was mostly just the diplomatic way of saying, "Yeah, that's probably not gonna happen."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #752 on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:01 PM »
:lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #753 on: March 09, 2018, 10:04:04 PM »
Kev is now consistently releasing new Chroma Key music through Patreon and all of it is amazing and beautiful. Quite frankly, while I'd love a new OSI album, Kevin doing what he is doing right now is the best thing that could have possibly happened.

But yeah as far as live shows are concerned, I'm not even gonna hope for it. But if it happened one day, I'd try my best to go see that.

If the two aren't making music on their own down the line, I'd absolutely love a new OSI album.

RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #754 on: March 09, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »
I paid for that, but I don't think I've been receiving updates.   

Is it my imagination or did he take FOR-E-VER to actually release material from the time he made the announcement?   I got a demo of the first track or two....but I never heard a thing after that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #755 on: March 09, 2018, 10:15:20 PM »
He did take a long ass time, I actually made a few posts ranting about it but since then it's been at least once or more a month (maybe some longer breaks here and there for holidays and such). But he's released about half an album's worth (relatively...still a good bit less than past CK albums) of songs already and is very vocal in updates now.

So I'd check up on that pronto, I've been getting emails regularly.

RIP DTP.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #756 on: March 10, 2018, 09:06:09 AM »
I'd be into a CD if it happens.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #757 on: June 19, 2021, 05:11:03 AM »
Bump

OSI are re-releasing their first two albums on vinyl this summer:

O.S.I., the band formed by Fates Warning guitarist Jim Matheos and former Dream Theater keyboard player and vocalist Kevin Moore, are to have their first two albums released on vinyl for the vest first time.

Debut album Office Of Strategic Influence, which was originally released in 2003, and follow-up Free, released in 2006, will be released on vinyl as well as CD through Metal Blade Records on July 30.

Matheos formed O.S.I. with Moore in 2002. Mike Portnoy was a full-time band member for the debut album and credited as a session musician for the second. Both albums also feature guest appearances from Steven Wilson, late Cynic bassist Sean Malone and Fates Warning and Anthrax bassist Joey Vera.

O.S.I. released their most recent album, Fire Makes Thunder, in 2012. The band have officially been on hiatus since 2013.

Source: https://www.loudersound.com/news/osi-to-reissue-first-two-albums-on-vinyl-for-the-very-first-time

And here the links for the different versions can be found:
https://www.metalblade.com/us/news/o-s-i-office-of-strategic-influence-and-free-vinyl-and-cd-re-issues-now-available/
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: June 19, 2021, 06:23:33 AM »
Pre-ordered. Thanks for the bump. It's been a while since I've spun these albums.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #759 on: June 19, 2021, 07:36:17 AM »
Wonder if this reissue campaign is the start for possibly releasing a new OSI album

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #760 on: June 19, 2021, 07:58:32 AM »
Wonder if this reissue campaign is the start for possibly releasing a new OSI album

I thought Kevin Moore is a doctor now (a very grumpy looking one)... I don't know if you'll have that much time on your hands to make a lot of music on the side if you're a doctor. Then again, I wonder how he even pulled this off , he must have been at it for 11 or 12 years, since med school takes 6 years and becoming a psychiatrist is 5 more years. I am in med school right now and I have no time at all to make music  :-\
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #761 on: June 19, 2021, 10:08:11 AM »
preordered the vinyl for the debut which is a classic to me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #762 on: June 19, 2021, 10:34:55 AM »

I thought Kevin Moore is a doctor now (a very grumpy looking one)... I don't know if you'll have that much time on your hands to make a lot of music on the side if you're a doctor. Then again, I wonder how he even pulled this off , he must have been at it for 11 or 12 years, since med school takes 6 years and becoming a psychiatrist is 5 more years. I am in med school right now and I have no time at all to make music  :-\

He was releasing music in Patreon during his studies. And Jim also writes so it’s not like Kevin is responsible for eveything related like in Chroma Key.

Offline emtee

« Reply #763 on: June 19, 2021, 04:11:39 PM »
Despite Kevin's approach with Portnoy's drum parts, the debut is a gem that stands the test of time.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #764 on: June 19, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »
Really cool news about the vinyl. I may pick up the debut. I love that album. Been forever since I spun it. Will put it on now...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #765 on: June 19, 2021, 05:26:12 PM »
Finally some vinyl! My Blood can get some friends now. :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #766 on: June 19, 2021, 06:29:48 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Fire Make Thunder is their best album? I love them all but that one is something else.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #767 on: June 19, 2021, 07:30:44 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Fire Make Thunder is their best album? I love them all but that one is something else.

My favorite as well. Love Wind Wont Howl.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #768 on: June 20, 2021, 07:09:43 AM »
I might have to agree, but there is a lot of great material on all of them.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #769 on: June 20, 2021, 07:22:36 AM »

My favorite as well. Love Wind Wont Howl.

I LOVE all 4 albums, and I even love WWH. But from the first listen I thought it sounded like a Radiologue retread.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude