Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 110096 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #560 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:31 PM »
Personally, I am more than ready; but I agree on waiting at the very least another week or so. If anything to let the album marinate with the hardcore fans a bit more and to let the less enthusiastic get acquainted.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: April 06, 2012, 06:56:30 AM »
No problem I'll give it another week then.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »
I'm ready when everyone else is.  Monday is good, but another week couldn't hurt.  I already know "Invisible Men" is my fav and I doubt that will change, lol.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #563 on: April 09, 2012, 12:30:40 AM »
Finally got to hear this album! My first impression is very positive, it's already my favorite album after Free! :metal Time will show if it will end up being my #1. There aren't any fillers (Blood has We Come Undone) or moments that make me lose my interest. I only wish Big Chief II was longer, there was so much potential in that song.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
Music video for "For Nothing" is being hosted exclusively here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/misc/osi_-_for_nothing.html
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #565 on: April 09, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
Wow. That was terrifying... and I loved every second. That might be my favorite song on the album...as odd as that may be; that video might've just been the nail in the proverbial cheesecake. Very interesting and creepily sexy. Really good stuff. This is OSI's first video, is it not? I think I might remember some kind of montage or something being related to a song, so kinda like a video, but never a full motion movie for a song....??

RIP DTP.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »
I thought it was visually impressive, but kind of bizarre.  I mean, it's a simple song so I envisioned a simple video with a candle (which was mentioned in the lyrics) and Jim and Kevin playing acoustically.  I'm not sure I "get" the mutant creature thing just yet, but I've only watched it twice.  I'm happy they did a video though. :)

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #567 on: April 09, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »
Video doesn't load for me.  Anyone else having that problem? 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #568 on: April 09, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
Music video for "For Nothing" is being hosted exclusively here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/misc/osi_-_for_nothing.html

I felt like I was watching a Tool video. It was cool though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #569 on: April 09, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
Wow. That was terrifying... and I loved every second. That might be my favorite song on the album...as odd as that may be; that video might've just been the nail in the proverbial cheesecake. Very interesting and creepily sexy. Really good stuff. This is OSI's first video, is it not? I think I might remember some kind of montage or something being related to a song, so kinda like a video, but never a full motion movie for a song....??

It's not; IIRC, there was one for Free.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: April 10, 2012, 06:20:05 AM »

It's not; IIRC, there was one for Free.
Horseshoes and B-52's also has a video.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #571 on: April 10, 2012, 06:27:12 AM »
Are there any others we're forgetting? I know Blood didn't have any videos...or at least I don't think it did. And I don't want to go on YouTube and individually try every song.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: April 10, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »
"Horseshoes & B-52s" had a video, as did the song "Free."  And now "For Nothing."  Just those three for OSI.

Kevin does also have videos for the Chroma Key songs "Camera 4" and "Hell Mary."

Offline TL

« Reply #573 on: April 13, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
My copy finally showed up today. I'd already heard it since I broke down during the wait and bought it digitally, but it's nice to listen to it on a proper stereo. I definitely like it. Not sure yet how it stacks up against the other albums. I'll have to give it some more spins.

I also received my copy of their debut which I finally got around to buying. Listening through, it occurred to me that there were a few tracks I hadn't really listened to before, so that was a pleasant surprise. It's just such a great album.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: April 17, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »
Just a bump but I'm going to start the Fire Make Thunder survivor tomorrow.

I was going to try and do it yesterday but I just got too caught up.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #575 on: April 17, 2012, 08:04:33 AM »
Sounds good, lets do this shit!! Woot woot!

RIP DTP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #576 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »
Yeeeaaaaahhhh

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: April 19, 2012, 06:26:35 AM »
First round of Fire Make Thunder is up, go vote!!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31968.0

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: April 19, 2012, 09:53:02 AM »
Fire Make Thunder Make Me :metal
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:27:33 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #579 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
I haven't listened to it enough to rank songs or anything yet but I find the lack of love for Wind Won't Howl disturbing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #580 on: May 22, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »
I got bored so I decided to rank all of OSI's songs!

1. Blood
2. Invisible Men
3. ShutDOWN
4. Radiologue
5. Wind Won't Howl
6. Hello, Helicopter!
7. Guards
8. Standby
9. Once
10. Microburst Alert
11. Stockholm
12. Head
13. Cold Call
14. All Gone Now
15. OSI
16. Terminal
17. Big Chief II
18. GO
19. Bigger Wave
20. The Escape Artist
21. Enemy Prayer
22. Be The Hero
23. Free
24. Sure You Will
25. Kicking
26. False Start
27. The New Math
28. Indian Curse
29. Better
30. Simple Life
31. When You're Ready
32. Horseshoes and B-52's
33. Our Town
34. Dirt From A Holy Place
35. For Nothing
36. Memory Daydreams Lapses
37. We Come Undone
38. Home Was Good

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #581 on: May 22, 2012, 09:08:54 PM »
Wow. You even color-coded them, how nice... I really enjoyed my first listen of Blood. It's got an interesting atmosphere to it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: May 22, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
Still not sure how I'd rank the albums..

1. Fire Make Thunder
2. Blood
3. OSI
4. Free

I guess  ::)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #583 on: June 08, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »
Bump.

How is everyone liking FMT now that it has been out for a little while?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #584 on: June 08, 2012, 11:27:15 PM »
It's still nice. My favorite tracks are Cold Call, Guards, Enemy Prayer, and Wind Won't Howl. Still don't see the pants-smileing excellence of Invisible Men.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TL

« Reply #585 on: June 09, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
Fire Make Thunder has held up very well so far. All of OSI`s albums have stood the test of time, and so far, this is no exception.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #586 on: July 07, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »
Finished listening to all of their albums the other day, this band kicks ass.
On that note, album ranking time.

1: Office Of Strategic Influence
2: Blood
3: Fire Make Thunder
4: Free
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: July 07, 2012, 01:31:23 AM »
Free
FMT
Blood
S/T

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #588 on: July 07, 2012, 03:24:20 AM »
1. Blood
2. FMT, Free and s/t. Seriously, can't decide. All I know is that Blood is definitely my favorite, which puts me on the same page as Jim Matheos.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #589 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
Free
OSI
FMT
Blood
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #590 on: July 08, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
I still only have FMT, but I think it is a pretty damn brilliant album. I should actually listen to it more than I do, because it's pretty damn good.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #591 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »
OSI
Free
Fire
Blood

RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: September 09, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »
In order to avoid turning the "reference" thread in the DT side into yet another Kevin Moore thread, I do a full translation of the Finnish OSI article from 2009 here:

Kevin Moore - Music by a hermit

When you turn your back on success, you can try to redeem the possibility to make music more freely. This is what Kevin Moore did fifteen years ago. After going under the radar he has kept the quality high.

A phone is ringing somewhere in Florida. A hand lifts the phone and a voice says shyly: "Kevin." Ever since the beginning one can be sure that one isn't talking to a man hardened and petrified by hundreds of interviews.

The songwriter, vocalist and songwriter, who will turn 42 at the end of May, says he's "a little nervous", not having talked to any outsider about his new brainchild.

The situation could be different. Had Kevin Moore not left the biggest and greatest name in prog metal after Awake album (1994), he would have remained in the spotlight. However, he decided to concentrate on making music on his own terms.

As a result there are three albums by Moore's solo project Chroma Key and as many records done with Fates Warning guitarist Jim Matheos under the name Office of Strategic Influence aka OSI.

Despite the good reception of the albums Moore hasn't performed live. Has he made a decision not to play live shows?

-Not properly speaking, Moore responds. -I recently played one mini gig in Turkey. The main reason has to be that OSI is a small band, or actually a project, under a small record label and there's no backing from a machine with hundreds of thousands of dollars. And to be honest I don't miss performing live that much. I last tried the position of keyboardist in a band with the group On sometime in 2000. I guess it beats working at McDonald's but it doesn't boost your creativity in any way.

Part of the reason for his unwillingness can be found in the beginning of the answer. Moore is known as a person who both gets on well on his own and changes his place of residence effortlessly. Before moving to Florida he lived in Istanbul and before that his home has been in different parts of North America. Neither tours nor regular band rehearsals fit the life of a vagabond.

-There's some of that behind this as well. Making records is quite painless even if the participants live in different parts of the world. But touring demands different arrangements. I'm also not a confident singer. My nervousness is emphasized when I have to sing in front of strangers.

And even if Moore does start playing live on his own, the situation with OSI is a harder one as the other songwriter Matheos lives in the northeastern corner of USA in New Hampshire and the drummer on the new album, Gavin Harrison, in London.

Moore, however, has always worked with respected names in his studio projects. Six years ago Steven Wilson performed guest vocals on the first OSI album. This time Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth is featured.

-I was goddamn frightened when I heard the files sent by him. "Is that how a real vocalist sounds like?", Moore laughs.

Åkerfeldt brings pleasant warmth in contrast with Moore's chilly voice, although he also throws in a decent David Bowie imitation on the song Stockholm.

-Mikael was Jim's idea. I wasn't familiar with his works but I couldn't be happier with the result. And of course there must be some variables because Jim and I never change into anything else!

What about the parallel universe where Kevin Moore could live? What if he hadn't departed from Dream Theater after the first three albums?

-I don't regret my decision. Although of course it's terrible for the remaining members to always hear me answer this way. My life changed and I left.

One also has to remember that the leader of Dream Theater, Mike Portnoy, played the drums on the first two OSI albums (2003's OSI and 2006's Free). Moore confirms the talk about an ugly split exaggerated.
-I haven't wished anything bad on any one of them.

After releasing an album the average songwriter sets out to perform their music to audiences. As said, Kevin Moore doesn't work this way. Now he would have time to work on another of his projects. Along with OSI's modern prog, Chroma Key's pasty art pop with atmospheres reminiscent of David Sylvian's early solo works and experiments with electronica has found fans from all over the world.

-It would be Chroma Key's turn now but I don't have any ideas. OSI will continue for sure, Chroma Key is a bit on thin ice.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #593 on: September 09, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
Oh shit. I hope he does return to Chroma Key at some point.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #594 on: September 09, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
Megamega thanks, it's very nice!

Oh shit. I hope he does return to Chroma Key at some point.
This was three years ago, more recently he mentioned he had some CK ideas, but, knowing Kevin, he might scrap those and do something entirely different.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise