Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 110091 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #490 on: March 27, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
Invisible Men is just... so freaking good.

This. For me, it's like the Octavarium of this album, the epic song that saves an otherwise average experience.

BTW, I'm not saying I hated the album, I just didn't love it. I was underwhelmed, let's say.

I have similar feelings.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #491 on: March 27, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »
So... Something clicked with Guards. At first it was the only song I was on the verge of not liking too much, but I was driving back from an already very long drive downtown and decided to take the back roads thanks to a wonderfully catastrophic wreck. So, with that, I cranked on FMT and boy, that song is bumpin', for shizzle. It's still probably in the lower-tier of songs but its a great tune, it's more upbeat than the rest of the album. It helped having the evening sun and gusty winds to enjoy in the convertible (rentals always make me sad). I'm writing this while I'm driving cause I'm fancy and stupid like that... Then again I haven't seen another person for like two hours. Oh, and I'm a master typist. Textist. Sextist. (Like, I hate women, but only when I'm sexting)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #492 on: March 27, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »
I'm still waiting for both this and Flying Colors.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #493 on: March 27, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
I think Wind Won't Howl is my favorite track.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #494 on: March 27, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
Invisible Men > last two Anathema albums combined.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #495 on: March 27, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »
Got mine today.  Will listen sometime soon!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #496 on: March 27, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
Invisible Men still hasn't "hit" me. Still waiting.

EDIT: Man, Big Chief II reminds me a lot of Sure You Will.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:00:56 PM by Ultimetalhead »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: March 27, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »
I think Wind Won't Howl is my favorite track.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #498 on: March 27, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
I shouldn't say I'm underwhelmed, I guess this is exactly what i expected.  A few standout tracks on an otherwise kickass CD.  Just because its kickass doesn't mean I will listen to it much...when I do, somewhere down the road, I'm sure more and more stuff will grab me.

An additional problem is that I JUST received Dead Air for Radios 2 days ago and am in love with it.  I have listened to that a lot more. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: March 27, 2012, 11:46:35 PM »
This album is awesome. Best of the year so far, not that it's had much competition.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #500 on: March 28, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
Album keeps getting better.

Hmm...let's start ranking, though I know mine will change so much:

Wind Won't Howl
Invisible Men
Enemy Prayer
Guards
Indian Curse
Big Chief II
Cold Call
For Nothing

Does anyone else think Enemy Prayer has a "Wedding Nails" (PT) vibe to it?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: March 28, 2012, 02:26:13 PM »
Does anyone else think Enemy Prayer has a "Wedding Nails" (PT) vibe to it?

Yes!  I agree!  My ranking:

Invisible Men
Guards
Wind won't Howl
Enemy Prayer
Cold Call
Indian Curse
Big Chief II
For Nothing
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: March 28, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »
Nice! At first, I wasn't sure if this album could beat Blood. We'll see.  :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #503 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
Mine has been pretty different thus far (surprise, surprise! :P). I'm surprised For Nothing isn't getting any love.

Invisible Men
For Nothing
Wind Won't Howl
Big Chief II
Indian Curse
Guards
Enemy Prayer
Cold Call

My list is definitely going to be switching up in the next couple weeks. I think this album, for as much as I love it right now, will grow on me even more. It'll be interesting to see which songs move up. I love Enemy Prayer, but that's one that I think is going to have to marinate, along with Guards. Cold Call has just been played to hell already so I'm giving that one a break, harhar.

RIP DTP.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: March 28, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
Invisible Men > last two Anathema albums combined.

I'm not sure I understand the comparison.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #505 on: March 28, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »
It's not a comparison. It's just that the amount of awesome in that song exceeds the one in both those albums combined.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #506 on: March 28, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »

1. Wolf Won't Howl (might even be my favorite OSI song)
2. Big Chief II
3. Invisible Men
4. For Nothing

5. Guards
6. Indian Curse
7. Cold Call
8. Enemy Prayer

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #507 on: March 28, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »
Yeah, Wind Won't Howl is absolutely stunning. Best song by far.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #508 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
Better than the first two, we'll see how it fares against Blood. Blood I used to love, but it has aged really badly for me - there are only a few songs on it that I will listen to now and get that same OMG feeling I used to.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #509 on: March 28, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »
Better than the first two, we'll see how it fares against Blood. Blood I used to love, but it has aged really badly for me - there are only a few songs on it that I will listen to now and get that same OMG feeling I used to.

Same thing with me. I loved it when it first came out, but seriously can't remember the last time I listened to it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #510 on: March 28, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
Alright, after a snag I had with payment. It's finally in transit and should get it by tuesday.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline j

« Reply #511 on: March 29, 2012, 02:38:38 AM »
Argh I need to get this.  But I will be shocked if it's better than Blood.

-J

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: March 29, 2012, 07:54:38 AM »
OK, I officially LOVE this album! So here's the deal. Last night I was chilling at home and got a little fucked up and popped on Fire Make Thunder. Each time I listened to it before was in my 2004 car or on my old laptop. However, this time I popped some tracks up on my new SmartPhone and listened. Holy shit! I was like a totally different disc. There was so many little "blips" and "bloops" and clickity clacks and other sound effects that were getting lost in my car stereo. I couldn't believe the layers of sounds and the intricate mix of this album!

For example, "Wind Won't Howl" sounds very two-dimensional in my old car. But on my smartphone, the "snapping" sounds in the beginning were almost jumping out at me and so beautiful and pan around and it freaking blew me away. Same for "Cold Call." There's clickity clack sound throughout the song that never grabbed me as much in my car. But on my device, it was like a drug. It made the song!

Bottom line, there's so much going on in this album! Each time I listen now, I feel like I notice a new sound effect or noise. Totally amazing. Also, news flash to me, i need to buy an iPod, lol. My car and laptop clearly aren't doing music justice. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
Your iPod won't either.

/StevenWilson

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #514 on: March 29, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
I like Big Chief II, but the rest of the album just isn't doing it for me the way Blood or Free did. It still sounds like OSI, granted, but none of it sounds that memorable compared to their other stuff so far. Will need to give it more listens.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #515 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
Listened to the new album. Enjoyed it, pretty good. Nothing mindblowing though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #516 on: March 29, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »
I love For Nothing more than words can explain. It sounds so much like a Chroma Key song that it makes me want Kev to get back to that project. It's very mellow, very droning, but I like that about it; and for that matter much of the rest of the album.

OK, I officially LOVE this album! So here's the deal. Last night I was chilling at home and got a little fucked up and popped on Fire Make Thunder. Each time I listened to it before was in my 2004 car or on my old laptop. However, this time I popped some tracks up on my new SmartPhone and listened. Holy shit! I was like a totally different disc. There was so many little "blips" and "bloops" and clickity clacks and other sound effects that were getting lost in my car stereo. I couldn't believe the layers of sounds and the intricate mix of this album!

For example, "Wind Won't Howl" sounds very two-dimensional in my old car. But on my smartphone, the "snapping" sounds in the beginning were almost jumping out at me and so beautiful and pan around and it freaking blew me away. Same for "Cold Call." There's clickity clack sound throughout the song that never grabbed me as much in my car. But on my device, it was like a drug. It made the song!

Bottom line, there's so much going on in this album! Each time I listen now, I feel like I notice a new sound effect or noise. Totally amazing. Also, news flash to me, i need to buy an iPod, lol. My car and laptop clearly aren't doing music justice. 

It's definitely chaulk-full of nuances. I had a similar experience with Guards except it was in my car that I heard what I hadn't before on my computer speakers. I've still only listened to Invisible Men, For Nothing and Big Chief II on my iPhone through headphones. It's a deep album with many layers, to be sure.

RIP DTP.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #517 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
Love it. It doesn't have the highs of Blood, but it doesn't have the lows either.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #518 on: March 29, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
Love it. It doesn't have the highs of Blood, but it doesn't have the lows either.

I agree with this. Although I found very few highs on Blood, the 2 or 3 excellent tracks were probably better than those on FMT. However I find FMT to be muuuuch more consistent whereas with Blood there are times I just want to turn it off.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #519 on: March 29, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

I agree with this. Although I found very few highs on Blood, the 2 or 3 excellent tracks were probably better than those on FMT. However I find FMT to be muuuuch more consistent whereas with Blood there are times I just want to turn it off.

That is so true.

At the end of the day, I think its FMT's consistency which will allow me to listen to it on a regular basis, unlike the other albums.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: March 29, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
I have ordered my copy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #521 on: March 29, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
I'm raving over Indian Curse and Wind Won't Howl. Christ, after this album is through with me all the songs are going to be #1. One exception... I haven't really clicked with Enemy Prayer thus far. It's a neat tune and a fun jam but other than that I can't really get into it; Microburst is definitely the reigning instrumental and I doubt it'll be dethroned. But we'll see.

RIP DTP.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #522 on: March 29, 2012, 10:05:21 PM »
Just got through first listen.  I'm with others, I'm liking it, not loving it.  It unfortunatly came at the same time as RPWL, and less than a week after Flying Colors, so it looks like its gonna have to wait until I start to tire on those albums.  RPWL, we'll see - only listened once.  Flying Colors might be a while though.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #523 on: March 30, 2012, 12:56:21 AM »
Big Chief

Big Chief Big Chief

BigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBigChiefBig ChiefBigChief

I like that song.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
This album is growing on me like it's nobody's business.  I wasn't overly excited about it at first, and i still think it's too short for Kev's only new music in three years.  If you're not gonna tour and it's your only project, you need to put out more than 43 minutes in my opinion.  But the more you listen, the more you hear new things and the more you piece together the bizarre lyrics.  It's so fun.  "Wind Won't Howl" has me addicted.  The pitter patter sounds are like a drug.  I can't get enough.