Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 113209 times)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: OSI - Blood (2009) (SPOILERS)
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:41 AM »
first listen to radiologue...not bad

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2010, 06:42:38 AM »
Not bad?! :tdwn

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »
Fook me, that was fast.  Truth be told, I thought Blood got bland really fast.  Then again I don't have Terminal (Endless) or any of the other bonuses.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline faemir

« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »
Fook me, that was fast.  Truth be told, I thought Blood got bland really fast.  Then again I don't have Terminal (Endless) or any of the other bonuses.

:-\

It's the only OSI album I own, and it's been my default go-to album to listen to when I don't know what to listen to since I first got it. Radiologue + Microburst Alert = :hefdaddy

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2010, 08:58:04 AM »
The S-T and Free are a lot better.  And S-T is the overall best.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2010, 09:20:47 AM »
Other than the new album (FW) you may release, what else should the fans expect in the near future regarding FW or you specifically?
- As I already mentioned, there will probably be a new FW album this or sometime next year. Same with OSI - expect the new album most likely early next year.

Do you plan on having any live OSI shows?
- No, I don't. I think that it will remain a studio band.

What's the situation with the drummer position in OSI? Do you plan on keeping Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree or Mike Portnoy will return in the band?

- We just started talking about the new album. I'm almost sure that the drummer will once again be Gavin because we're very happy with our work together on Blood. We still haven't made any of this official but I really believe that it will be him.

From an interview with JM I just read. It's in Bulgarian, that's the most interesting part about OSI. There may be a live FW CD or even DVD from some of their shows in the US. If you're interested in the other questions which are a bit more general/generic I will translate it for you.

Wow, huge news.  Can you post a link to this interview please?  I wanna look into it a little more.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2010, 09:48:57 AM »
Here, I asked them to give me the audio but they refused. The site is specifically for the bulgarian fans, bla bla. Kinda stupid, imo, but whatever makes 'em happy. https://katehizis.com/publications/interview.php?i=fates_warning2010

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
Thanks for the link :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2010, 10:24:58 AM »
The S-T and Free are a lot better.  And S-T is the overall best.

Disagree. Blood is dynamite. I love the self-titled and Blood. Free is ok, but not enough balls on it, particularly if you enjoy the heavier aspects of OSI.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
I agree that Blood is really really good.  To me, I feel like it is missing one song to push it over the top.  Just my opinion.  Maybe an acoustic-type song (ala "Hello Helicopter" or "Our Town") toward the end to let the album breathe electronically.  Another alternative would have been to move "No Celebrations" from the bonus disc to the regular disc and have Moore write and record his own vocals instead of Tim Bowness.  In my opinion, that song musically kicks ass and is kind of wasted on the bonus disc. 

But even so, great album.  Like I said, I'm nitpicking.

Offline faemir

« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2010, 06:35:49 PM »
I was definitely puzzled as to why No Celebrations was a bonus track when it was really good, and had a guest vocalist on it :s

Offline faemir

« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
Hey guys, I know this is the Blood thread but I can't find an appreciation thread.

I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on "Mike Portnoy had been vocal about his disapproval of how the project turned out"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
Hey guys, I know this is the Blood thread but I can't find an appreciation thread.

I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on "Mike Portnoy had been vocal about his disapproval of how the project turned out"

MP was apparently hoping for more of a Liquid Tension Experiment-type supergroup where it a chance for the musicians to show their chops a have a playful atmosphere, IMO.  He also strongly wanted Daniel Gildenlow in the project.  But when Jim Matheos sent out the OSI demos to Kevin Moore and Gildenlow in 2002, they both re-worked the demos and created vocals that were completely different.  Matheos felt like he had to pick Moore or Gildenlow, and he picked Moore for the group because he liked his ideas better.  So MP was disappointed from the start.  Then in the studio, Kevin tried to reign in MP's playing in certain parts for the betterment of the songs and MP found the whole process very stressful and unenjoyable.  That's my take on it from various OSI interviews and the Lifting Shadows book.  

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
JM also wanted something a bit more different than what he had done with Fates and Gildenlow's contributions made the sound more akin to FW and prog, something JM wanted to avoid.

Offline faemir

« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
Fair enough.

Also, I'm reserving a spot to do a top 15 of OSI later in the week, so no-one else jump in and do one. Unless someone has already done one and I completely missed it.

Offline faemir

« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
First listen of Free. So far it beats OSI but not Blood. I love these guys.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
We may as well change this thread to the official OSI thread. And Faemir, keep listening to it. It's only their best.  :)

Offline faemir

« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2010, 02:45:56 PM »
Yeah. I found the old thread but it was very short and old and dead.

Go is so stunning, I can't wait to listen to the console remix :D

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
The console remix isn't that great compared to the KM remixes, though. Home Was Good is simply amazing.

Offline faemir

« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
Aw :(

Are you going to edit the thread title then?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »
If that is your wish - done.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2010, 02:37:56 AM »
Does the "(SPOILERS)" tag have to stay?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2010, 07:08:36 AM »
For the next album. :neverusethis:

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:27 AM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »
edit: Late to the party. Delete?

Offline faemir

« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »
If you want.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2011, 11:17:17 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2011, 06:30:49 AM »
OSI news: Gavin Harrison tracks drums

I am so excited for this new album, Gavin really meshes well with the band.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
I am so excited for this new album, Gavin really meshes well with the band.
This. Blood was a fantastic album...I hope they keep that same downtempo/electronic edge to it.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
So any more news on when we can expect the next album?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
It was supposed to be out "early 2011" but since Jim started working with Arch on his album I think things will be slower - probably late 2011. I would guess ~September.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2011, 02:37:34 PM »
By the way, Kevin just posted a song clip on his new Twitter account yesterday.  It could be an OSI clip, but he doesn't say.  It's also been revealed that he recently collaborated on three songs with an experimental rock group called In Progress, who was one of the acts on the Portnoy tribute CD called "Honor Thy Drummer."  The In Progress guys were KM fans that contributed to his Shine album and emailed him about collaborating on some songs and he agreed.  I'm a little busy right now to post all the links, but if you're interested in the KM song clip and In Progress audio, visit The Mooreatorium: www.themooreatorium.com.  All the links are posted there under "News."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »
Just checked out the little song clip. It doesn't sound like something I'd hear on an OSI album but you can never be sure with Kevin. It did sound like a cool clip though.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2011, 10:26:41 AM »
I think Free might be my favorite OSI album, but somehow that sentiment keeps changing up on me.  Either way, I don't think you could really underestimate Mike Portnoy's contributions on those 1st two albums. 

Such an unusual dynamic in this band...  Jim Matheos is/was the primary lyricist in Fates Warning, but meanwhile he has yet to write a lick of lyrics for an OSI album.  I'm wondering (hoping) to see if this changes for the next album.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
I think Free might be my favorite OSI album, but somehow that sentiment keeps changing up on me.  Either way, I don't think you could really underestimate Mike Portnoy's contributions on those 1st two albums. 

Such an unusual dynamic in this band...  Jim Matheos is/was the primary lyricist in Fates Warning, but meanwhile he has yet to write a lick of lyrics for an OSI album.  I'm wondering (hoping) to see if this changes for the next album.   

Interesting point about the lyrics.  I love Jim's lyrics in FW.  But I feel like if he started to write lyrics for OSI, it would totally change the "feel" of OSI songs that people have grown to like.  Kevin's lyrics are so unusual and nursery rhyme-like at times (see "When You're Ready," "All Gone Now," "Be the Hero," etc.), and they've become an indentifiable characteristic of an OSI song.  To have a different lyricist would be a really big change.  Maybe Jim could write lyrics for a song or two, but I feel like the majority of the lyrics still has to be KM or it wouldn't feel like OSI.