Author Topic: Blackfield  (Read 129579 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Blackfield
« Reply #910 on: October 02, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »
New single, "Under My Skin", released this morning!
https://youtu.be/7BFvm7G1bwY

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #911 on: October 03, 2020, 03:40:12 AM »
The people complaining about pop music on the SW thread probably won’t like this!  I think it’s pretty good though, prefer it to the last one.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #912 on: October 04, 2020, 04:50:46 AM »
I avoid that thread like covid now. Those toxic people are ruining my favourite artist.

I am confused by release dates though for Blackfield. Some saying November 6th, others December 4th.

The promo says it's "ambitious". I have very specific ideas of what that word means, so we'll have to wait and see if the album delivers on that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #913 on: December 14, 2020, 08:42:48 PM »
Hmmm, I guess no one cares that the 6th album came out? :lol

Or maybe everyone else had the same ho-hum reaction to it that I did.  It's not bad, but just seems kind of there.  And whoever mastered it should be punched as it sounds too loud and muddy.  Ah well, I still have the first three albums and the fifth to keep me happy when I am in the mood for Blackfield.  :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #914 on: December 14, 2020, 09:22:50 PM »

Or maybe everyone else had the same ho-hum reaction to it that I did.  It's not bad, but just seems kind of there.  And whoever mastered it should be punched as it sounds too loud and muddy.  Ah well, I still have the first three albums and the fifth to keep me happy when I am in the mood for Blackfield.  :coolio

It's....not awful. Like you, I still really enjoy their first few albums and V (which blew me out of the water), so I sort of had some high expectations of this one, but it seems like it was a bit of a let down for me, but like I said, it's not awful. Now, albums can be as long or as short as they like, but after all this time since V, Aviv didn't have a few more songs in him before putting out a new album? At just over half an hour, this must be the shortest new studio album I've gotten this year, four minutes shorter than the first McStine & Minnemann album (which I felt was a bit short, but they cranked out a second album just before the end of the year, so I can't be too upset at how short their debut was).

Also, if anyone else is familiar with The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild, does anyone else hear the title track's piano motif inside "For The Music"? It's a sort of repeating pattern of two chords/notes that sounds AWFULLY similar to a part in the opening theme to BOTW. Is it just me?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #915 on: December 14, 2020, 09:51:45 PM »

It's....not awful. Like you, I still really enjoy their first few albums and V (which blew me out of the water), so I sort of had some high expectations of this one, but it seems like it was a bit of a let down for me, but like I said, it's not awful. Now, albums can be as long or as short as they like, but after all this time since V, Aviv didn't have a few more songs in him before putting out a new album? At just over half an hour, this must be the shortest new studio album I've gotten this year, four minutes shorter than the first McStine & Minnemann album (which I felt was a bit short, but they cranked out a second album just before the end of the year, so I can't be too upset at how short their debut was).

Also, if anyone else is familiar with The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild, does anyone else hear the title track's piano motif inside "For The Music"? It's a sort of repeating pattern of two chords/notes that sounds AWFULLY similar to a part in the opening theme to BOTW. Is it just me?  :lol

-Marc.

At least it's longer than Reign in Blood  :lol

I haven't listened to yet!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #916 on: December 14, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »

I was going to resurrect the thread a few days ago to complain about the CD being $23 on Amazon, but I figured it wasn't worth doing.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #917 on: December 15, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
Well, so much for "ambitious"...I'd argue Blackfield V has more ambition in its opening intro track than this album has in its entirety. And FINALLY people joining me on the "too short albums" crusade!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #918 on: December 16, 2020, 09:04:06 AM »
I think it's good but it's my least favorite out of the Blackfield albums (I'd say IV just beats it out). For me there's really no bad tracks on it but the strongest tracks aren't as strong as those on previous albums (or as frequent).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #919 on: February 28, 2023, 07:20:01 AM »
Blackfield - An Accident Of Stars: 2004 - 2017
7-disc deluxe book-set with previously unreleased live show and blu-ray featuring hi-res audio & 5.1 versions and Live in N.Y. visual concert.
Pre order https://blackfield.lnk.to/accidentofstars

https://fb.watch/iZNvLObAtp/

As Blackfield, the duo of Aviv Geffen and Steven Wilson has worked together intermittently across 22 years, going back to 2000. The entirety of the project's output through to 2017 is captured on An Accident of Stars: 2004-2017.

Presented in a deluxe book-set with a 64-page book at its core (which details the beginnings and inner workings of Blackfield's journey through interviews with both Steven and Aviv), An Accident of Stars includes the first five albums as well as a bonus disc of the band's previously unreleased incredible show at Paradiso, Amsterdam from 2011 (Live DNA).

In addition, a blu-ray contains Blackfield, Blackfield II and Welcome To My DNA in 24bit 44.1kHz format, Blackfield IV and Blackfield V in 5.1 Surround Sound and High Resolution 24-bit Stereo, as well as the full Live In N.Y. show as a visual concert with 5.1 Surround Sound and High Resolution 24-bit Stereo. The bands’ promo videos from this period are also included.

Limited edition, one time pressing.

—————

Geffen and Wilson look back at their Kscope years as a period of significant discovery, evolution, and accomplishment. "Blackfield delivered a brilliant set of songs with a really distinctive sound across these five albums,” says Wilson. “Sometimes you really don’t understand what your sound is until years later. When I revisited these albums during the compiling process, I realised how unique the combination of Aviv and I sound. It’s something that could only have emerged from the two of us, together. And there are so many great songs on these records. Aviv was so often coming up with songs that blew me away. It’s a really special collaboration that’s delivered tremendous classic pop songs, production, and performances.”

For just over $90 USD at Burning Shed, I'm probably going to pass as I have all of their studio albums already, as tempting as this set is just for that BD and the unreleased live show.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #920 on: February 28, 2023, 10:45:07 AM »
Interesting that, like the rest of us, they've chosen to pretend that For the Music doesn't exist.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #921 on: February 28, 2023, 11:05:32 AM »
Interesting that, like the rest of us, they've chosen to pretend that For the Music doesn't exist.

It could be that this box set has been in the making for awhile, perhaps even before FTM was made/released, so that might be why it's not included. It's also their most recent album and is probably still readily available, so it would be redundant to include it.

-Marc.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #922 on: February 28, 2023, 11:23:18 AM »
I genuinely did not know there was an album after V that has been out for three years already.

It is not very good?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #923 on: February 28, 2023, 11:47:21 AM »
I genuinely did not know there was an album after V that has been out for three years already.

It is not very good?

IMO, it was a step-down from IV and V. It's my opinion that only the numbered albums are good, with I & II being the better of them, though IV and V are pretty good as well. I rarely ever go back to WTMDNA or FTM, which I found mostly forgettable, mostly because Steven Wilson's presence is slightly diminished (again).

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #924 on: March 01, 2023, 10:49:16 AM »
Blackfield are very very hit and miss. And that has a direct correlation with how involved SW is in them.

I, II, V - Masterpieces

DNA, IV, FTM - Miserable save one or two tracks. Also they're short as hell. 31 minutes is not an album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #925 on: March 01, 2023, 03:06:01 PM »
Yeah, it's weird.  Even though Geffen has always been the main writer, the albums without Wilson see a severe drop in quality.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: March 01, 2023, 06:21:50 PM »
Yeah, it's weird.  Even though Geffen has always been the main writer, the albums without Wilson see a severe drop in quality.

Very true, his singing can be really hard to get through at times.