Author Topic: Metalcore, Deathcore, etc Thread  (Read 18477 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Metalcore, Deathcore, etc Thread
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 08:18:15 PM »
This thread is causing my chest to tighten.
Indeed. Why did I come in here again?

Oh, I like BTBAM, and I liked Demon Hunter for a short period of time.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 01:11:30 PM »
Metalcore is such a diverse genre now and days, it can mean anything from Converge and The Dillinger Escape Plan to Protest the Hero or Killswitch Engaged. I would go so far as to say that it is my favorite genre of metal. When it is done right it can produce some grade A music. There are few Metalcore bands that I can't stand. I prefer the music to lean more toward the hardcore side though, the short aggressive songs are always great.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »
Hey Poseidon, do you like deathcore stuff, like Whitechapel? I've noticed we always had similar taste in music, so I was just wondering.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »
Only Deathcore I have heard was the first album by Bring Me the Horizon, and random deathcore bands my guild members played on ventrillo. There was one song that might have been Whitechapel where the dude is like "you will never fuck again!!"

Offline Volk9

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 01:27:20 PM »
Oh ok, I was just curious. Whitechapel's not my favorite band or anything, but the only "popular" deathcore band I could think of atm, lol.

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 01:34:43 PM »
The song I was thinking of is Vicer Exciser, I might have to check out more of their stuff as that song was pretty good.

Right now I am listening to DEP's Calculating Infinity, such a fucking crazy album.

Offline xterp

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 01:47:45 PM »
This might be technical death metal and not -core but whatever. The debut album by Son Of Aurelius is awesome. I think these guys might have a lot of potential.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
Every Time I Die is a cool metalcore band with a lot of southern rock influence. I used to listen to them a lot a few years back and rediscovered how good they are recently. Their new album is fucking great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IewQXMJQjvA

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 09:57:12 PM »
Hey Poseidon, do you like deathcore stuff, like Whitechapel? I've noticed we always had similar taste in music, so I was just wondering.

They put on a good live show, but I couldn't get into their studio stuff that much.

Other than that band, I like a lot of deathcore.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
This thread needs more Misery Signals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9C9wstUVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuzaRSYUxSI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTlLVQIrlfg

I HIGHLY recommend their newest album Controller.  It was produced by Devin Townsend (if that persuades you at all).

This band definitely deserves more credit.  They use a lot of cool song structures and odd meters.  The vocals took me awhile to really appreciate at first; but they also have one of the few screamers that I can understand 95% of what he is saying (which is great, because they have a lot of great lyrics).

See them live if you get the chance.  It's intense.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 11:06:32 PM »
I am going to try to organize all my metalcore related recommendations in this one post.

Bleeding Through - Symphonic Metal (new material), Metalcore

Their new album Declaration should be a part of any metal fans collection. It was produced by Devin Townsend, and features some of their greatest material. They dropped a lot of their hardcore roots in favor for a more symphonic metal sound, kind of like a metalcore version of Dimmu Borgir. If you need one song to convince you to get the album, listen to Sister Charlatan, one of the most epic metal songs to date.

Botch - Mathcore, Metalcore

Their album We Are the Romans is known as one of the greatest works in mathcore. It leans more towards the hardcore side of things, but still keeps a great deal of complexity. It keeps the spirit of hardcore and punk with the musical depth of math rock, and the end result is a terrific album.

Converge - Metalcore, Hardcore Punk

One of the lead driving forces of the genre, this band has released one of the most impressive series of albums ever. Jane Doe is widely considered one of the greatest albums in the field of metal. The album is one of the most emotional albums I have heard. Their newest effort Axe to Fall is probably their most accessible. It is probably their most metal album, and contains some progressive influences.

Yakuza (Avant Garde, Metalcore, Punk Jazz)
This band is fucking crazy. They take metalcore and mix it with elements of jazz and world music. They have songs ranging from 2 minute hardcore punk outbursts to 40 minute jazz tunes. They are inspired by acts like King Crimson, John Coltrane, and have shared the stage with familliar bands like Opeth, Mastodon and The Dillinger Escape Plan.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:08:40 PM by In The Wake Of Poseidon »

Offline xterp

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 12:13:06 AM »

I HIGHLY recommend their newest album Controller.  It was produced by Devin Townsend (if that persuades you at all).

This band definitely deserves more credit.  They use a lot of cool song structures and odd meters.  The vocals took me awhile to really appreciate at first; but they also have one of the few screamers that I can understand 95% of what he is saying (which is great, because they have a lot of great lyrics).

Yeah, those guys are awesome. I need to go back and listen to their stuff again since I know I was obsessed with it a couple summers ago. And like you said, the screamer is very easy to understand which is a big plus.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 08:49:27 AM »

Yeah, those guys are awesome. I need to go back and listen to their stuff again since I know I was obsessed with it a couple summers ago. And like you said, the screamer is very easy to understand which is a big plus.

Yeah, I have that album, and they are a great band. And I agree, their screamer is pretty understandable.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 02:35:47 PM »
I think the only album I don't have by them is their first. I liked what I heard on it though.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
Though everyone who visits this thread probably has at least some of their stuff, The Dillinger Escape Plan is just fucking amazing... :2metal: :hat

Offline Volk9

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »
I am going to try to organize all my metalcore related recommendations in this one post.

Their new album Declaration should be a part of any metal fans collection. It was produced by Devin Townsend, and features some of their greatest material. They dropped a lot of their hardcore roots in favor for a more symphonic metal sound, kind of like a metalcore version of Dimmu Borgir. If you need one song to convince you to get the album, listen to Sister Charlatan, one of the most epic metal songs to date.

Their album We Are the Romans is known as one of the greatest works in mathcore. It leans more towards the hardcore side of things, but still keeps a great deal of complexity. It keeps the spirit of hardcore and punk with the musical depth of math rock, and the end result is a terrific album.

One of the lead driving forces of the genre, this band has released one of the most impressive series of albums ever. Jane Doe is widely considered one of the greatest albums in the field of metal. The album is one of the most emotional albums I have heard. Their newest effort Axe to Fall is probably their most accessible. It is probably their most metal album, and contains some progressive influences.

I have Bleeding THhrough's new album, but most of the songs didnt grab me. I'll have to give it another listen though.

I still havent listended to Botch, so I guess I should get on top of that.

As for Converge, I have their latest album, and I really like it. It has a really nice flow to it, and it seems "whole", it that makes any sense.

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »

I have Bleeding THhrough's new album, but most of the songs didnt grab me. I'll have to give it another listen though.

I still havent listended to Botch, so I guess I should get on top of that.

As for Converge, I have their latest album, and I really like it. It has a really nice flow to it, and it seems "whole", it that makes any sense.
It took me a while to get into Botch, but as soon as they clicked I couldn't stop listening to them.

And I added another band to my recommendation post, Yakuza, they are also really hard to get into. Their music is pretty wild and all over the place.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 08:00:13 PM »
Ive noticed something about breakdowns in metalcore; most of the time, their really "generic" and boring. However, bands like The Faceless, Becoming the Archetype, and even Gorija, use breakdowns occasionally, and their the most intense and head-banging-inducing breakdowns I've heard!

(See: The Faceless- An Autospy, near the end, Becoming the Archetype- Dichotomy, in the middle)

Its like the genre that thrives off of breakdowns can't usually pull them off in a unique fashion, but then these other bands come in and knock their socks off.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »
Ive noticed something about breakdowns in metalcore; most of the time, their really "generic" and boring. However, bands like The Faceless, Becoming the Archetype, and even Gorija, use breakdowns occasionally, and their the most intense and head-banging-inducing breakdowns I've heard!

(See: The Faceless- An Autospy, near the end, Becoming the Archetype- Dichotomy, in the middle)

Its like the genre that thrives off of breakdowns can't usually pull them off in a unique fashion, but then these other bands come in and knock their socks off.

This is because most metalcore is generic.  Very few bands are pushing the limits of the genre these days.

And An Autopsy = :2metal:
My Soundclick Page

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
and even Gorija, use breakdowns occasionally, and their the most intense and head-banging-inducing breakdowns I've heard!

Since when is Gojira metalcore?

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2010, 03:05:28 AM »
and even Gorija, use breakdowns occasionally, and their the most intense and head-banging-inducing breakdowns I've heard!

They're not even close to metalcore.

But please, no more genre shit fights.  It's all metal at the end of the day.
My Soundclick Page

Offline Volk9

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2010, 07:26:04 AM »

They're not even close to metalcore.

But please, no more genre shit fights.  It's all metal at the end of the day.

:metal

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJWgInNEfQ

Holy shit this song is so epic/fun/awesome, I'm gonna go get all their albums.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »

:metal :metal :metal
gone

Offline Volk9

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »

That was actually really cool. I'll look up their stuff when I get a chance

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »
Threat Signal-This band sounds like a well-oiled machine. At times they remind me of pre-Digimortal Fear Factory(when they were good) with how velcro-like the synchronicity between guitar and drums is except that they can actually shred and write interesting, memorable shit. I like how the singer knows his strengths lie in his bigger-than-the-universe-caliber black metal vox(not really the style but rather the higher-pitched raspy snarl) so he doesn't overdo the clean singing as is the tragedy with the shittier bands in this genre.

When he does sing he isn't spectacular but he doesn't try to make up for it by piling on melodramatic emotion as is the case with some so it never takes away from the song.

The solo at 1:40 melts my face with sheer awesomeness: Counterbalance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ZIUN7fkcU

Killwhitneydead-They seem like a band that is fully capable of writing excellent music but instead set out to satirize the cliché of the metal=violence&anger thing. As the name implies they write most of their songs in some sort of anti-love style that always seems to culminate in killing/harming someone. A nice touch is that their songs are full of amusing samples from movies

Words Don't Last Forever Your Wounds Will: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NF2te7vnd8
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »

That was actually really cool. I'll look up their stuff when I get a chance
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Volk9

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »
Btw, whats everyone's opinion on Job for a Cowboy? I was thinking of getting into em because I liked what I heard.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
Doom (ep) is their best work IMO. Genesis is pretty good. New album is decent, more of the Doom feel again, so it's kinda awesome.
gone

Offline Volk9

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »
Doom (ep) is their best work IMO. Genesis is pretty good. New album is decent, more of the Doom feel again, so it's kinda awesome.

Yeah I've heard Doom is their most liked album/ep. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Yeah, their latest album is really really good quality metal

• DTF.org Member
gone

Offline Volk9

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
I really liked those :D Esp. the breakdowns in them.

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »
entombment of a machine is a fucking awesome song, one of my first ventures into metal.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2010, 05:58:45 AM »
Doom is a sick as hell album.
gone