Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 43734 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Nine Inch Nails
« Reply #350 on: July 21, 2017, 01:09:46 AM »
Aw yeah, this shit is awesome. The Background World is all kinds of sexy and dark. What the man does best.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #351 on: July 21, 2017, 05:55:58 AM »
The new album is pretty solid. Its a little With teeh and a little The fragile and I dig it.

The background world is damn good and my favorite on the album so far is This isn't the place.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #352 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53:07 PM »
Damn, I love The Background World a whole hell of a lot. Especially the lines starting from "There is no moving past" to "Behind the background world is always bleeding through"

So many fucking goosebumps.

I kinda wish the whole song was an actual song instead of that ending of it basically just being static and corrupted music but I'm sure there's some kind of swanky message Mr. Reznor wants to send with that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:08:59 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #353 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »
I totally agree. An incredible song with that wacky static at the end that overstays its welcome. If it would have blended into static and the faded out over like 20 seconds, then i think it would have been  better.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: August 09, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »
Eh, it has some kind of point, somehow. People have already put up edits, which was inevitable. Pretty much every long NIN song is a bit needless, usually caused by too much repetition – their cover of Memorabilia, Corona Radiata, even Reptile and Closer overstay their welcome (imo!). The only 'long' NIN songs I think really work are We're in This Together and And All That Could Have Been.

Online faizoff

« Reply #355 on: August 11, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
Some people have done a spectograph of the track and I think it shows some coordinates or some shit like that. From what I've read so far, the 3 EPs might piece together something similar to what was done with Year Zero's counterpart game that Trent setup. Each EP has a "physical component" that ships if you order from nin.com. I think they're supposed to thematically tie together and I suppose be part of the experience.

While I think many NIN fans love that sort of attention to detail, many may not care for it. I'm somewhere in the middle. I bought both EPs from the nin store and already have the first EP's physical component which is a bunch of cards covered in some annoying makeup dust that gets everywhere. The second component has been shipped and it looks like some kind of manual for some machine.

As far as the music itself I LOVE the second EP, I don't skip a single track and for some reason I'm actually mesmerized by the long repeating looping outro of Background World. I'm curious about the 3rd and final EP which hopefully should be ready in another six months or thereabouts.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #356 on: August 12, 2017, 02:43:34 AM »
Wow! Had no idea about any of that. A few years ago I totally would've been into that but as of now I just don't give a shit.  :lol If the music is awesome, and thus far it has been, then I am totally down for whatever convoluted shit the man can come up with otherwise, as long as the music comes first (which is never a worry with NIN).

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #357 on: August 12, 2017, 04:48:48 AM »
Wow! Had no idea about any of that. A few years ago I totally would've been into that but as of now I just don't give a shit.  :lol If the music is awesome, and thus far it has been, then I am totally down for whatever convoluted shit the man can come up with otherwise, as long as the music comes first (which is never a worry with NIN).

Amen to that. As a teenager, I just had to have all the gimmicky collector's edition shit and then one day I looked at my self and I saw a bunch of cheap, plastic junk cluttering up my house and my life and I was like enough of this. It cool if people dig that stuff, but Now I just want a digital download with kick ass music and I am set.

Luckily, Add violence delivers. I haven't enjoyed a NIN album as much as I have like this one for a very long ass time.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: August 12, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »
People are receiving Not the Actual Events vinyl now and, in addition to the return of the 'black dust' from the physical component, side B of the record is the final trio of The Downward Spiral... in reverse.

Online faizoff

« Reply #359 on: August 17, 2017, 06:01:25 AM »
Finally got all the main releases on CD, I believe there's a CD for Add Violence listed on Amazon releasing on the 22nd of Sept. I might get some of the remix albums too, won't bother with the singles.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Ruba

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:55:05 PM by Ruba »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #361 on: May 10, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
Hell yeah :2metal:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #362 on: May 10, 2018, 04:54:18 PM »
If it is as strong as the 2nd EP in the trilogy, then I will be a happy camper.

I would go see them again too, but they aren't coming near philly. Oh well, next time. That was a great live show.

Online faizoff

« Reply #363 on: May 10, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
Saw the news today, very excited. Good thing it's dropping soon, a month-ish wait isn't that long. NA Tour was announced as well. Interesting take on selling only tickets at the box office first. Online possibly only much later.

Even the album isn't on sale yet on a separate digital medium. You only get the mp3s if you get the Vinyl set.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #364 on: May 10, 2018, 11:05:13 PM »
Man I was wondering if this was still going to happen considering he originally planned to have it out a while ago. Super excited for this though, the previous EP is one of my favorites.

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: May 17, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
I can hear the Blackstar influences, great track :metal

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #367 on: May 17, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »
Pretty cool, I'm sure it will grow on me like many other NIN songs. I'll be waiting in line on Saturday for tickets in NYC  :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #368 on: May 19, 2018, 06:59:38 AM »
Really interesting and cool. I cannot wait to listen to all these albums back to back to back. Fantastic stuff from this man, always.

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #369 on: June 22, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »
New album out today. Bad Witch

All over the place style wise, kind of an experimental vibe in some place. I think I like it?  Will have to listen to it more.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #370 on: June 23, 2018, 03:51:28 AM »
Hm. Yeah definitely more "noisy" than actual accentuated music to the common ear. I feel like you need to be smoking a fancy cigar and/or painting a picturing a Bohemian model to get this shit while you listen to it. Like it's too much for my simple ears. Definitely off the beaten path. Way off. I'm not sure what he's going for, but it seems to me like he's trying to create a new genre that is somewhere nestled between jazz and industrial metal. He's got the industrial, and then he's got this off beat, seemingly randomized drums, horns, and god knows what else behind it.

I like it.

But I also kind of hate it.

But then I like it again.

RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »
Gave it one listen so far and have to say this is very different from the rest of the EPs so far in the trilogy. I'm not sure yet what to make of it. Like Jorge mentioned, big mix of jazz and industrial in there. I'll have to give it several meaningful listens to get familiar with it.

I think there are shades of The Slip and Ghosts with some new takes and maybe a little Broken in there as well. On the whole a very different take. Going to be interesting how they age for me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »
I've already forgotten about it.

Still really like the 2nd EP though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #373 on: June 29, 2018, 01:06:39 AM »
Okay, I get it.

I just listened to all three of them back to back and...what a fucking ride. It's like the incomprehensible finale of destruction to the already violent story that started it all. I'm still ambivalent on the REALLY crazy aspects that are filled with actual noise. I don't mean that in the old codger sense of speaking about music as noise, but some of it really is just a whole lot of sounds that ends up being white noise unless you've got really good headphones on and the volume turned way up and even then it's pretty nonsensical, but I think that's the point. Kinda like the ending to Add Violence.

Really interesting stuff. Taken alone it's total nonsense and kind of annoying. Really annoying, actually. But with the right state of mind (I was reading my favorite uber-violent manga "Gantz", started at chapter 303, while listening) it's pretty awesome. Basically anything crazy and violent fits really well with this. Given that they're both basically composers for movies now, I cannot possible think that didn't affect the making of these albums. Every song could basically fill the fight scene to the original Old Boy.

RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #374 on: June 29, 2018, 04:13:34 AM »
New album is really good

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #375 on: August 02, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »
It's like it's clicked back to being okay...lol.

I think I only like this part of the trio if I listen to all of them together. Otherwise it's like it doesn't make sense...if that makes sense. I kinda wish I could listen to it solo like I can the other two but I really can't and totally enjoy it.

RIP DTP.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #376 on: August 14, 2018, 11:20:13 AM »
So I've been listening to this podcast called Songexploder. Each episode features an artist dissecting one of their songs and talking about it in depth. I've just listened to the Nine Inch Nails episode so thought I'd post it here.

https://songexploder.net/nine-inch-nails

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross pull apart "The Lovers" on this one. It's pretty cool.

Sacul, sure you'll love this.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: August 17, 2018, 01:44:08 PM »
Indeed, that was an awesome podcast thanks for sharing :metal

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #378 on: October 17, 2018, 08:08:19 PM »
Just wanted to bump this thread and say that I just saw NIN at Radio City Music Hall on Saturday. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to in my entire life... what an incredible performance.  :tup

Online faizoff

« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2018, 05:05:40 AM »
I'm really hoping they release a concert video from this tour. I saw them on the 2nd night on Atlanta and it was fantastic too. The rotating setlist they've been doing this tour has brought out some really classic and deep cuts.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: March 26, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
Nine Inch Nails just released two new albums for free

Ghosts V and VI are available to download and stream

https://www.nin.com/

Online faizoff

« Reply #381 on: March 26, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
I thought of posting it here in the morning but I would probably be one of two people on this board listening to it. ;D

Listened to Together, it's more in line with their Waves soundtrack than the original Ghosts album.

Now on to Locusts.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #382 on: March 26, 2020, 10:55:32 AM »
Never really listened to anything by NiN consciously... this might be a good moment to start. What would you guys recommend for a rookie?
any rock can be made to roll

Online faizoff

« Reply #383 on: March 26, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »
Geez their discography is all over the place. I guess most would say The Downward Spiral and even maybe The Slip. Those two albums have the more classic elements of rock and industrial in them.

Depends a lot on your taste too. If you're into classic prog rock or even metal prog rock, these guys will not be your cup of tea.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #384 on: March 26, 2020, 12:28:52 PM »
I think The Fragile is the best album but it might also be a bit daunting considering it's a double album. The Downward Spiral is the 'classic' so you might start there though I think even an album like With Teeth might work well as an introduction since it has a bit more of the modern NiN sound to it.