Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 43674 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Nine Inch Nails
« on: May 07, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »
I know there are fans here, and I'm looking for a good place to start. Recommendations?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Wrath42147

Re: Nine Inch Nails
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:01:03 PM »
they have one good song

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
I started with the Downward Spiral.  It's pretty good, but it's as far as I've gotten so far.

That probably doesn't help.  Sorry.  :P

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »
they have one good song

I know there are fans here,

Read: not people who list them as one of the worst bands in the world.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 05:38:04 PM »
start with either Pretty Hate Machine or The Downward Spiral

edit:

upon futher thought, The Downward Spiral is probably more accessible.

edit again:

if you don't like either one of those albums, check out All That Could Have Been.  it's a live album, and has most of their popular songs.  some are done differently than the normal studio versions as well; they are arranged to be more rock-oriented
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:49:12 PM by Gwii »
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline Tracer112

• Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 06:54:37 PM »
they have one good song
Fuck, every thread I've seen you on you have horrible taste in music.

Anyway, The Downward Spiral is their best to start with (and probably my favorite).  The Fragile is also amazing, but it's pretty long and will take a while to digest.  If you're not liking TDS, check out All That Could Have Been.  Fantastic live album.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »
they have one good song

Anyway, The Downward Spiral is their best to start with (and probably my favorite).  The Fragile is also amazing, but it's pretty long and will take a while to digest.  If you're not liking TDS, check out All That Could Have Been.  Fantastic live album.

your wrong

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 07:00:31 PM »
What about his wrong?

Just out of curiousity how old are you? I feel like we could chill, maybe sit around smokin' butts behind bleachers or something.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
What about his wrong?

Just out of curiousity how old are you? I feel like we could chill, maybe sit around smokin' butts behind bleachers or something.
:lol

I only started listening to them recently, I would say to start with The Downward Spiral and With Teeth.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »
My fiance worships them. They're pretty good.

Favorite song has to be Reptile. In fact, I'm gonna try to cover it without any industrial elements. All acoustic drums, and so forth, just using interesting recording and mixing techniques to make it sound semi industrial. With possibly a female singer. And cowbell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:14:42 PM »
A Warm Place -> Hurt is probably the best progression of songs to finish and album I've heard in some time.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »
hurt is good, the rest of the songs i hear are  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »
I guarantee Reptile is more brutal than anything you listen to, since that's what you seem to judge music on.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
I guarantee Reptile is more brutal than anything you listen to, since that's what you seem to judge music on.

I agree that Reptile is awesome, but he just said "hurt" was good. So I doubt being brutal was a factor. It's probably because it was a very trendy song for a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 07:57:14 PM »

kermit the frog does a better version of hurt

Offline xterp

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »
They're ok. It doesn't matter though since I never gave them an honest listen.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 08:38:57 PM »

kermit the frog does a better version of hurt

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 09:26:59 PM »
they have one good song

your wrong

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
they have one good song

your wrong

As an addition to this, Wrath, it might just be better if you stop posting your opinion.

Now back to the NiN discussion. I could never get into this band. I downloaded their album The Slip when it was available for free, and I thought it had a few good songs, but nothing all that great. I might try out these albums sometime, but from the other individual songs I've heard before (I don't remember the names of any of them since it has been a while) it might just be that they don't appeal to me all that much.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »
they have one good song

your wrong

Dude, seriously, I'm not asking if they're good, I'm asking FANS what a good album to start with. You, my failtastic friend, are not a fan. You like one song, and said the rest is bad. Thus, you are not a fan, and do not belong in this thread. Please, with all due respect, get the fuck out.

Allright, then I'll try out TDS, thanks!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »
@lat

The three most recent albums are really, really different from the rest of them. Downward Spiral is pretty much nothing like The Slip.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 10:11:20 PM »
Get The Fragile, The Downward Spiral, Pretty Hate Machine and Year Zero NOW!
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 10:14:02 PM »
I had Wrath pegged for Closer, since it has the word FUCK in it.  However, I'll definitely check out Kermit's version of Hurt.

On topic,  everybody has suggested either TDS or PHM and they're probably right. I think I'd lean towards PHM, but either way, these are your best starting points. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Piolo

• Suffering the SDV Syndrome
  • The Piolo Strikes Back
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 10:16:01 PM »
I started with TDS and was a pretty good start, then With Teeth, PHM, and all the others after
"If you make me look bad, I will never ever talk to you again. Ever."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 10:23:37 PM »
I feel like I'm usually the minority but Year Zero is really good.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Kermit's version of Hurt was nowhere near as good as his cover of Radiohead's Creep.  I'll stick with Trent.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »
Kermit's version of Hurt was nowhere near as good as his cover of Radiohead's Creep.  I'll stick with Trent.

Well, it's the same as the Johnny Cash version just with the original lyrics (crown of shit instead of thorns), and the Johnny Cash version is a travesty, so...:D

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Tracer112

• Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »
I feel like I'm usually the minority but Year Zero is really good.
Nope, I love this album.  Probably my 3rd favorite behind The Downward Spiral and The Fragile.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 11:03:35 PM »

Well, it's the same as the Johnny Cash version just with the original lyrics (crown of shit instead of thorns), and the Johnny Cash version is a travesty, so...:D

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like there's way more emotion behind the original version than Cash's version, though most people like Cash's version better for some reason.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 03:58:37 AM »
Here's a band that's best and worst are poles apart and it is very important to stay away from their garbage material.

My favourite album is the fragile, 2 cd's worth of incredible music, the right blend of instrumentals and vocal tracks and a splendid lesson.

The downward spiral is also fantastic but I rank it a fair bit lower than the fragile. though hurt, march of the pigs, reptile and a warm place are incredible.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 11:10:59 AM »
I'd say start with TDS or The Fragile. Most fans regard them as two of NIN's absolute best works. Of the two, TDS is a bit more accessible, but if you're in the mood for a musical journey that's going to take you everywhere and back, The Fragile is your best bet.

With Teeth is probably their most commercial album, and while half the songs are good (The Hand That Feeds, Right Where It Belongs, the underrated Sunspots), the other half are mediocre at best.

Year Zero really divides fans. Personally, it's my favorite NIN album, but to my best friend who got me into NIN in the first place, Year Zero was the final nail in the coffin for her idolizing Reznor. With that said, I still give it three enthusiastic thumbs up.

The Slip is like With Teeth, in that half I like, half I hate. All I have to say.

Regarding Pretty Hate Machine, it easily sounds less like NIN than anything else, due to being so spectacularly 80's. Going from PHM to TDS would be like WDADU to I&W, times two. Though it has some great songs, you can find heavier, more energetic versions of most of them on the live CD/DVD And All That Could Have Been, or even Beside You In Time.

Broken is kind've like PHM, in that all the best songs on there have better live versions elsewhere, plus it's so damn short. Ghosts is good, but it's not really representative of what Nails is about as a whole.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Hope that helps. I'll be seeing them on the 29th, so I'm thinking that'll probably rekindle my NIN love.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
listen to what leeharvey said
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 01:10:09 PM »
I'd say start with TDS or The Fragile. Most fans regard them as two of NIN's absolute best works. Of the two, TDS is a bit more accessible, but if you're in the mood for a musical journey that's going to take you everywhere and back, The Fragile is your best bet.

With Teeth is probably their most commercial album, and while half the songs are good (The Hand That Feeds, Right Where It Belongs, the underrated Sunspots), the other half are mediocre at best.

Year Zero really divides fans. Personally, it's my favorite NIN album, but to my best friend who got me into NIN in the first place, Year Zero was the final nail in the coffin for her idolizing Reznor. With that said, I still give it three enthusiastic thumbs up.

The Slip is like With Teeth, in that half I like, half I hate. All I have to say.

Regarding Pretty Hate Machine, it easily sounds less like NIN than anything else, due to being so spectacularly 80's. Going from PHM to TDS would be like WDADU to I&W, times two. Though it has some great songs, you can find heavier, more energetic versions of most of them on the live CD/DVD And All That Could Have Been, or even Beside You In Time.

Broken is kind've like PHM, in that all the best songs on there have better live versions elsewhere, plus it's so damn short. Ghosts is good, but it's not really representative of what Nails is about as a whole.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Hope that helps. I'll be seeing them on the 29th, so I'm thinking that'll probably rekindle my NIN love.

Awesome, looks like TDS and The Fragile are gonna be my next purchases. The Fragile sounds really interesting.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »
I would start with Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral, then on to Fragile.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 05:35:45 PM »
The fragile IS really interesting.

Also, LeeHarvey is exactly right about pretty hate machine. The version of terrible lie on All that could have been is 10000000x better than the version on PHM.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"