Author Topic: [Music] - Dream Theater - Wither EP  (Read 3491 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

[Music] - Dream Theater - Wither EP
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:19:24 AM »
Firstly, thank you DT for offering this treat to the fans. 

PIANO VERSION - Slower, moody and somber, this is the perfect bonus track.  Reminiscent of the Acoustic Dreams sessions, this piece offers a slightly different execution of the song, and is a wonderful showcase for the warm resonance of James' voice.  Thankfully, Jordon holds back on tailoring the song with flourishing runs (ala "Notes on a Dream"), and rather allows the spine of the song to speak for itself, and in doing so, adds a certain emotional gravitas.

JP VOCAL DEMO - JP's singing is surprisingly palpable, and offers a unique flavor to the song.  I've always enjoyed the timber of his voice in DT harmonies, and it is an interesting change to hear him as a lead vocal.   The mix is noticeably different in some places and not as polished as the original, particularly as the heavy guitars enter during the pre-chorus (0:42).  As a writer myself, I connect on a personal level with the lyrics, and certainly appreciate listening to them performed from the original source of inspiration.

BEST OF TIMES - MP VOCAL - The first noticeable difference is that Jordan, not Jerry Goodman, plays the intro violin melody.  I thought I would have to wait years for the opportunity to hear MP's emotional rendition, but then again DT are masters of the unexpected.  I suppose that's what being prog is all about.  To no surprise, this version takes us to a raw and sensitive place, but at no times uncomfortable.  MP's singing is more than adequate, and it is interesting that he did not lay down any harmony tracks.  Then again, MP's solitary voice creates a more personal, intimate message, which I would imagine to be a deliberate decision for presenting the song to his father.

OVERALL -  The WITHER EP is a rare and especially special treat.   I mean this as no slight to JP or MP, but their vocal cuts clearly demonstrate how much James’ voice truly contributes to each and every DT song.  Mixes aside, there is no mistaking the absence of a lush and dynamic center.

Here is the amazon link:
 https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/aSIN/B002NZZE24/ref=nosim/finditnow07
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:42:52 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Wither EP Review
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:43:17 AM »
There are rules regarding the thread title, a header for a review, and for your post in the index thread, please read them and edit accordingly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
Re: [Music] - Dream Theater - Wither EP
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:19:25 PM »
Found snippets of the tunes on an unnamed video site. Though I understand the reason, I deplore the use of autotune, for a listening experience. Beautiful, nonetheless. I am definitely convinced I need this to go along with my copy of BC&SL.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:34:05 PM »
PIANO VERSION - Thankfully, Jordon holds back on tailoring the song with flourishing runs (ala "Notes on a Dream"), and rather allows the spine of the song to speak for itself, and in doing so, adds a certain emotional gravitas.

BEST OF TIMES - MP VOCAL - I thought I would have to wait years for the opportunity to hear MP's emotional rendition, but then again DT are masters of the unexpected.

I particularly agree with these two points. Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised that Dream Theater released these goodies. There's nothing worse than a single that just has different edits of the same song with a live version thrown in for good measure. Variety is awesome, as it allows the members of the band to showcase skills that might otherwise remain unknown to the fans.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:24:15 AM »
Total agreement with GL.
I love the MP vocals, it really strikes me as moving when you consider the circumstances surrounding it.
Thank you DT for sharing this treasure with us mere mortals.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor