Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 83842 times)

Offline PolarizeMe

Re: Katatonia
« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
The price is surprisingly low for a 4-disc release... Maybe they were thinking of people like me who have no use for live CDs. :lol

In other news, apparently Katatonia played Without God and Murder (again) at a recent festival show: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/katatonia/2014/flugplatz-obermehler-schlotheim-germany-7bceeaec.html I'll see them for the first time in September and it'd be awesome if they closed with those two songs! :metal

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #457 on: August 12, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »
Maybe the cost was lower than usual because it's packaged in a CD sized digibook instead of a DVD sized one. I already have it on vinyl, but I guess the CDs are useful when I'm gonna be importing them onto my computer or whenever I use my CD player (I still have one!) which is not often :lol

I met a fan at a Blackfield show earlier this year and he showed me a promo card that he got from their 2012 US tour, which stated that there would also be a BluRay version of the concert, but it seems like there isn't one listed yet or that promo was wrong.

It's nice to see that they've played Without God and Murder again even though those are the only songs they play from the first two albums on a semi-regular basis. I wish they played those two when I saw them last fall, but I got to hear Quiet World, Unfurl, and Ashen instead which are even rarer songs so I guess it's seems fair.  :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2014, 03:45:28 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing this, my vinyl version is still shrink wrapped.
I hope the reason for the cheapness, is not the packaging, with the discs squeezed in so tight they are near impossible to get out (Nuclear Blast recent digibooks)

I pre-ordered through Amazon UK, really good price and because I live outside the EU, I don't pay the 20% sales tax either ;D

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2014, 12:12:25 PM »
Last Fair Day Gone Night trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQhJ9PwYz38

The trailer has me excited! Definitely looks like a huge step up from Live Consternation  :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 15, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
So the documentary is 2,5 hours long? Sweet! :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #461 on: August 15, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
Glad it's finally coming out! Can't wait!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: September 10, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »
July from the new DVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jy7xtolfcY

Anders' screams and Sodo's pinch harmonics = :metal

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #463 on: September 11, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
Looks awesome!  :metal

Unfortunately it's temporarily out of stock on both OMerch and Burning Shed, and for those who haven't pre-ordered prior to 9/11 (like myself) won't be getting it till after 10/1. Looks like I'll order from Amazon in the US since its American release is supposedly on 9/30.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #464 on: September 11, 2014, 03:01:12 PM »
Love the drum sound and everything else although he stumbles on the hi-hat pattern at 3:23-, syncopated snare hits can mess things up if your not on alert, i've been there done that!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #465 on: September 11, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
I noticed that hi-hat stumble too. I'm under the impression that the audio of this release was overdubbed to an extent. I have the vinyl version and several songs like Brave and I Break sound different performance wise on the vinyl than on videos of the same songs captured by fans from that night. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:13:04 PM by PolarizeMe »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #466 on: September 12, 2014, 02:59:43 PM »
Well gosh darn it. The dvd has been delayed, due to something that happened at the pressing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #467 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
What happened at the pressing that's causing it to get delayed? I thought they just ran out of stock and were pressing some more copies after they ship all of the copies that were pre-ordered prior to this past Thursday.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: September 13, 2014, 12:33:54 AM »
Katatonia's response to someone's comment on FB:
Well, if Amazon listed it as 30th, then that's their own date. 15th is the date this one ships from Katatonia & Peaceville stores.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #469 on: September 13, 2014, 07:43:04 PM »
It appears that the American release is on September 30th as the US Amazon and iTunes lists it as such. The UK Amazon lists it as September 15th. I think I'm gonna pre-order my copy from the UK Amazon cause weirdly enough it's cheaper there than both the US Amazon and Burning Shed.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #470 on: September 13, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »
This is what the email said..

"This is just an email concerning your order placed on the Katatonia Online Store.First of all, we apologise for the delay on the dispatch of the Katatonia (Last Fair Day Gone Night) 2CD & 2DVD.We're sorry to say that we have received word from the Katatonia merch team that, due a issue at the pressing plant, the release of the DVD has been delayed.As soon as we get confirmation of the new release date we will announce this on the store.If you'd prefer to change your order in the meantime please let us know."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #471 on: September 13, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »

"This is just an email concerning your order placed on the Katatonia Online Store.First of all, we apologise for the delay on the dispatch of the Katatonia (Last Fair Day Gone Night) 2CD & 2DVD.We're sorry to say that we have received word from the Katatonia merch team that, due a issue at the pressing plant, the release of the DVD has been delayed.As soon as we get confirmation of the new release date we will announce this on the store.If you'd prefer to change your order in the meantime please let us know."

Was that eMail from Burning Shed, OMerch or Amazon?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #472 on: September 13, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »

Was that eMail from Burning Shed, OMerch or Amazon?

It's from their online store on their website.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »
My mate in AU had his shipped from Burning Shed last week and mine was shipped from Amazon UK yesterday.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #474 on: September 15, 2014, 08:36:06 AM »
I wonder if those that shipped already weren't affected by that issue at the pressing plant. A worst case scenario would be something like what happened with the Pale Communion BluRay that plagued Opeth recently and having people phoning in for replacement discs.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: September 20, 2014, 11:41:53 PM »
I saw Katatonia live for the first time last night as part of a sold-out indoors festival in Helsinki. They were awesome, even though they played for just an hour and 5 minutes - you'd think the headliner would have a longer set! Without God and Murder weren't played, but there were songs from all the other albums (except Tonight's Decision) in the set, including a couple of rare treats like Increase and Cold Ways. The replacement drummer's playing was solid, and the fill-in guitarist did a good job with backing vocals and added another solo to the end of Lethean. I'd be happy if they became full-time members! Jonas' vocals were great, and apart from one verse in Buildings he wasn't noticeably off-key at any point.

I bought the new DVD on Friday and I'll watch it today. Hopefully I'll get to see a full-length Katatonia show soon! :)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #476 on: September 21, 2014, 04:26:41 AM »
Did you catch any of the Barren Earth set?
If you did how is the new singer?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »
No, unfortunately. They were the very first band of the night and I didn't feel like standing for 5 hours. Lazy, I know!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #478 on: September 21, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
I think this is the first time I've heard of them playing Increase as I don't recall it ever appearing on any setlist before.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: September 22, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
Yeah, they premiered it last week on the cruise between Sweden and Finland. Way to open a show! :metal

I watched the DVD yesterday and really enjoyed it. The only disappointment is that all the talking has been edited out and sometimes there's just a fade to black after the song has ended, which makes it feel less like a full concert release. Jonas isn't very talkative, but it would've been nice to hear him say something - after all, the show was in London and he spoke in English, so everyone watching the DVD would've understood him.

As a diehard fan I knew a lot of the stuff they talk about in the documentary, but Jonas and Anders give a pretty detailed and interesting account of what happened in the early years. There are also interesting behind-the-scenes and touring stories from the 2000s. Gotta love it that most of the funny and crazy ones are from Daniel! :lol

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #480 on: September 22, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
Based on the trailer of the documentary disc, was most if not all of the stuff the same thing that were talked about in the LFDGN tourbook? I still don't have my copy, (I'm getting it on the US release date) but if it is, I won't mind cause I'd love to hear those stories being spoken by Jonas, Anders and Daniel.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: September 23, 2014, 09:25:45 AM »
I don't know as I don't have the tourbook, but it's a 2-hour documentary, so I'd imagine not all of it is in the book. There's some pretty heavy stuff, like Anders planning to quit the band in 2003.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #482 on: September 23, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »
Based on what you said about Anders almost quitting the band in 2003, I'm gonna assume that most if not all of the contents of the LFDGN tour book is the whole documentary itself because I remembered reading almost all of the things I've seen in the trailer clip (such as Daniel's Melloboat 2008 story, Jonas' Dio story from 2005 and the time where Anders almost quit the band in 2003).

Not that I'm disappointed that it's practically an audio/visual documentary on what's in the tourbook, but Anders made it sound like in an interview last year that there was gonna be interviews with most of the people who had a significant role in Katatonia at some point. It would've been nice to hear insights from the Norrman brothers and Guillaume Le Huche especially, but since I couldn't read some of the contents of the tourbook itself (it had a horrible decayed looking layout that made it difficult to see the black printed words at times) I'm looking forward to hear Daniel's f**ked up touring stories as told by him directly! :lol
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:20:28 AM by PolarizeMe »

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #483 on: October 03, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Got my copy in the mail on Tuesday. Watched the concert DVD yesterday, and it was fantastic. Looked very cinematic and the aesthetics reminded me a bit of Porcupine Tree's Arriving Somewhere DVD. Although I do think that some of the camera work (particularly the ones which tilted an entire 180 degrees) puzzled me. As for why there were fade ins and fade blacks during the concert DVD, the band explained that it was a technicality of the vinyl audio (released a year earlier) which had to be edited down to fit on the LPs as being the same master/mix used for the DVD.

Finished the documentary today and it was nicely done even though it's almost a audio/video version of what was on their LFDGN tour book. To be honest things got more interesting/funnier when Daniel's account of the band's history began! I particularly loved the ones he did during the Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance eras.  :rollin

Offline adace

« Reply #484 on: October 06, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »
Anyone else think Jonas' growls on Brave in the new DVD are fantastic? I for one wouldn't be opposed to a death metal song on the next album, even though there's a pretty slim chance of that happening.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: October 06, 2014, 04:31:01 PM »
i'd rather they totally re-record Brave Murder Day tbh, but that'd be an even bigger step aside than writing a new one with screaming!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #486 on: October 06, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
Anyone else think Jonas' growls on Brave in the new DVD are fantastic? I for one wouldn't be opposed to a death metal song on the next album, even though there's a pretty slim chance of that happening.
I think for his now limited growling ability, he sounds pretty awesome. For me, his take on Brave has a pained, perishing, desolate vibe which suits perfectly with the song's vibe.

i'd rather they totally re-record Brave Murder Day tbh, but that'd be an even bigger step aside than writing a new one with screaming!
You'll get to hear a rearranged version of Day on an upcoming DVD from their Uncrowned and Reworked Tour this past May, but I'm guessing you're referring to  a rerecorded  studio version of BMD, am I right? They'd tune it down to C standard if they did but it would be an interesting idea.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: October 07, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »
Tbh I think Jonas' vocals on Brave sound more strained and less powerful compared to his pre-2011 growls. He sounds great on the Black Sessions DVD version of Murder, and this clip of Without God and Murder from 2009 (the vocals are a bit quiet in the mix at first). I dont know what happened to his voice after that, because in almost all the live videos of the WG/Murder combo from South America in 2011 and Brave from the anniversary tour his voice sounds weaker - maybe he was out of practice after not growling for a while. While his agonized and desperate screams on Brave are a good fit for that song, I think Anders has a better growling voice these days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-COKbr6Lm50

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #488 on: October 07, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »
Anders is definitely the better growler in the band, but it's too bad that he'll never sing lead vocals on a Katatonia. He mentioned once that he made a promise to Jonas when the band began to voluntarily never sing lead on a Katatonia song/album but never mentioned why exactly.

Jonas also suffered throat problems during the recording of Night Is The New Day. Maybe that could've been a factor in his weaker sounding growls. I dunno for me personally, I like his weaker sounding growls. I think he's a better growler than modern day Nick Holmes to be honest.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:22:56 PM by PolarizeMe »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #489 on: November 22, 2014, 03:21:53 AM »
I finally got round to watching the new DVD, the documentary was really insightful, and brutally honest.