Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 83521 times)

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
I had Discouraged Ones, but I couldn't get into it.

I've been listening to older Katatonia (currently Day on youtube).  It's a very haunting song.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I've always only been a fan of new Katatonia to be honest.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
Brave Murder Day is incredible, as also is Discouraged Ones; but you need to be in the mood for listening to them, Specially Discouraged Ones. I think it won't do anything to you if you listen to it while you are in a happy-go-lucky day.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2011, 12:20:50 AM »
Do I have to bump this again?  :lol

I got Last Fair Deal Gone Down and The Great Cold Distance as Xmas presents. Both are very good albums! Now the only Katatonia album I don't have is Dance of December Souls. I've noticed that it's quite difficult to rank Katatonia albums! Many are almost equally good. But I think I like Tonight's Decision the least.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »
I recently got Brave Murder Day.  I need to give it a few more listens to give it an opinion.  After the first listen it is pretty good.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2011, 05:44:30 AM »

I got Last Fair Deal Gone Down and The Great Cold Distance as Xmas presents. Both are very good albums! Now the only Katatonia album I don't have is Dance of December Souls. I've noticed that it's quite difficult to rank Katatonia albums! Many are almost equally good. But I think I like Tonight's Decision the least.
Nooo :( I absolutely love TD and it feels very underrated for me, the only thing I'd change on it is get rid of No Good Can Come of This and Strained as they're pretty weak and put the 2 B-sides (No Devotion and Fractured) in there instead, as they're much better. It has an amazing atmosphere, and it's very consistent other than these two songs overall.

Well, TGCD is an absolute masterpiece imo, but Last Fair Deal Gone Down... for me it's an album of really good songs but I don't know... It has the least of this "you should listen to this as an album" feel from all Katatonia albums imo. It's just not so atmospheric. I like almost all of the album, but for some reason the whole thing doesn't grab me that much...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2011, 05:52:40 AM »

Nooo :( I absolutely love TD and it feels very underrated for me, the only thing I'd change on it is get rid of No Good Can Come of This and Strained as they're pretty weak and put the 2 B-sides (No Devotion and Fractured) in there instead, as they're much better. It has an amazing atmosphere, and it's very consistent other than these two songs overall.

Well, TGCD is an absolute masterpiece imo, but Last Fair Deal Gone Down... for me it's an album of really good songs but I don't know... It has the least of this "you should listen to this as an album" feel from all Katatonia albums imo. It's just not so atmospheric. I like almost all of the album, but for some reason the whole thing doesn't grab me that much...
Yeah, there are many great songs on TD (For My Demons, I Am Nothing, Black Session), but it doesn't grab me as a whole, unlike the other albums. The production isn't very good either, I wonder why they had to doubletrack Jonas' vocals for most of the album. Anders has mentioned that he hates Fractured (https://thearsource.com/archives/anders-nystrom-katatonia-top-5-worst-katatonia-songs)!  :lol
TGCD is definitely a masterpiece and LFDGD is a very good album too.
Has anyone listened to October Tide? It was formed by Jonas Renkse and Fredrik Norrman. I have Rain Without End and it's definitely a masterpiece!  :metal Jonas was (and still is, judging by the live videos of Murder) a great growler! But I have to say he's better at clean singing.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2011, 05:55:02 AM »
I know he hates it. :lol But still, imo it's way better than No Good Can Come of This which is repetitive, and Strained which is even more repetitive, and that's a very rare problem in case of Katatonia. And I like this production because it's a bit... dirty. It sounds pretty unique actually, especially the guitars. I love the sound of the main riff in For My Demons.

Oh, and I forgot the most important thing. The instrumental at the end of the album... there are no words...

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
Oh yeah, 6th May, Koko. Bring it on.

20 years of Katatonia going strong calls for a celebration and we’ll be doing just that by throwing five very special anniversary gigs in Europe this coming May presented as the ‘Last Fair Day Gone Night – An Evening With Katatonia’ tour 2011.

We’ve decided to play the entire ‘Last Fair Deal Gone Down’ album front to back as that’s the one album that got us true worldwide recognition for the first time, but 2011 is also the album’s 10th anniversary so re-visiting this album seems more fitting than any other record we’ve done. A second set will follow that will see us play a mix of tracks from the rest of our catalogue. We’ll be doing some fan favourites classics but also look into a couple of obscure B-sides and such that we’ve never or hardly played live before. Together you should get over two hours of live music on this last fair day gone night
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »
Why the hell LFDGD? Disappointment for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »
Why the hell LFDGD? Disappointment for me.

Pretty much how i felt when Opeth decided to do BWP for their anniversary.  :-[

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »
BWP is at least somewhat representative, LFDGD... not really.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »
Viva Emptiness would probably be the more obvious choice but I don't care. It's still gonna be awesome.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »
TGCD would be the best choice.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2011, 11:45:54 AM »
TGCD is too new, i'd say the big reason of performing an album in its entirety would be how special it is.
TGCD was released in what, 2006 or 2007? :P

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »
Still I've no doubt it was the breakthrough album. It's pretty obvious. And it's actually a consequence of something, LFDGD just appeared out of nowhere and save for 2-3 songs isn't any similar to either TD or VE.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
VE is miles better than TGCD

1. Viva Emptiness
2. Night Is The New Day
3. Brave Murder Day
4. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
5. The Great Cold Distance
6. Discouraged Ones
7. Tonight's Decision
8. Dance Of December Souls
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »
VE is miles better than TGCD

I agree with this.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
TGCD is the ultimate perfection of what they've started on Discouraged Ones and improved until Viva Emptiness. Then there's Night is The New Day which is something entirely different as it's simply not possible to record something better and more perfect than TGCD in this style.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
Still I've no doubt it was the breakthrough album. It's pretty obvious. And it's actually a consequence of something, LFDGD just appeared out of nowhere and save for 2-3 songs isn't any similar to either TD or VE.
You know I actually disagree, but I think it all resides in different tastes. LFDGD Is one of my favorite albums by Katatonia and I think they should play it live in its entirety again. I love that album. Of course, they should play TGCD When it reaches its anniversary.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »
What disappoints me the most is that it will be the next DVD...

And imo seriously, LFDGD is the only Katatonia album that lacks atmosphere. The songwriting is good, but it has nothing of the darkness the other albums have, especially TD and TGCD.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:17 PM »
I wish I lived in one of those cities...  :( Fortunately there'll be a DVD!  :metal I think it's the right thing to play LFDGD as this year is its 10th anniversary. I think LFDGD is unique 'cause it's the "least metal" Katatonia album. I'd love to see a full performance of Brave Murder Day but I know it won't happen because of Jonas' inability to growl for more than 2 songs in a show. Maybe they should ask Mikael to do the vox! Hopefully they'll play something else from that album than Murder in those shows.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:43 AM »
At least I hope for some more TD songs on that setlist. I only got to see For My Demons myself and that was still when I didn't know the album :\

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2011, 06:57:54 AM »
does the massive gap between south america and europe tours mean there will be a usa leg?
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2011, 07:16:23 AM »
does the massive gap between south america and europe tours mean there will be a usa leg?
I don't think so. They toured USA in the fall, so I doubt they'll go there that soon again.

My ranking of the Katatonia albums I have ATM:
Discouraged Ones
Brave Murder Day
The Great Cold Distance (needs more listens)
Last Fair Deal Gone Down / Night Is the New Day
Viva Emptiness
Tonight's Decision

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2011, 02:31:39 AM »
Bumping this thread again. The 20th anniversary tour setlist looks great!

1st set:
Last Fair Deal Gone Down album

2nd set:
Brave
I Break
Right Into the Bliss
Wait Outside
Dissolving Bonds
My Twin
July
Forsaker
The Longest Year
The Promise of Deceit
Nephilim
New Night

If this will remain the same for the London gig (which will be filmed for a DVD)... :metal :metal :metal

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2011, 07:35:52 AM »
interesting how the second set goes in chronological order, and they went for a couple of b-sides ("Wait Outside" / "Dissolving Bonds")... looks awesome!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2011, 08:31:24 AM »
I guess they didn't include any Dance of December Souls songs because of playing Brave. Jonas couldn't have probably growled for more than 10 minutes. I REALLY hope there'll be a live video of it on Youtube soon! I like how they played so many of my favorite songs: Brave, I Break, Dissolving Bonds, Nephilim...

Offline OskarSluring

« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »
Great setlist! Can't wait for the Live DVD, hopefully it will be great.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2011, 10:22:37 AM »
tomorrow is going to be awesome!
anyone else on here going?
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline faemir

« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Ah fuck, there's a live dvd? And katatonia are touring? Fuck! I would have gone :(

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
Bump. I love this band. I recently got into them and I'm ashamed I never did sooner. I love the combination of heavy guitars and Jonas' soft crooning. :heart
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »
The Great Cold Distance :heart
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »
Listening to it now. :hat
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline faemir

« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »
Their latest album is clearly the best :D

You guys know Akerfeldt growled on one of their old records, right?