Author Topic: The Classical Music Thread (merged)  (Read 31154 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: The Classical Music Thread (merged)
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
So I finally got around to checking out Mahler's 5th (it was the one they had in the store). This thing is massive. It feels like three symphonies. My favourite sections are the first and second, but I feel I'm only just starting to get my head around the fifth.

Also loving Haydn's 104th, and Arvo Pärt's Tabula Rasa (ie the four pieces on that disc).

I've been listening to Brahm's 1st as well, but my enthusiasm for that comes and goes. I'd say in the end, it will end up being a piece I like, but probably not one I love.

So in the past few weeks, I've been listening to classical for more or less the first time since the days of this post. My mood for classical went totally silent around this time. Seems to be coming back around though.

Listening to mainly stuff I was well acquainted with back in the day to warm myself up, and hearing it with almost completely fresh ears.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
 :tup

I've been in a choir for a few weeks now. We're doing Rachmaninoff's Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and Szymanowski's Stabat Mater, the latter together with our orchestra. The orchestra is also playing one of Brahms' Serenades. We're doing them in early December, should be great!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
I just checked out Stravinsky's Firebird Suite this week. I was never totally sold on Rite of Spring, but Firebird is incredible. It reminds me a lot of Debussy's La Mer, which is one of my favourite pieces.

Also been playing a fair bit of Bach's Chaccone from Partita No. 2. That shit is ace.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »
This is pretty cool:

https://www.roh.org.uk/opera-machine

The Opera Machine presents an extraordinary multi-angled view of the intricate theatrical process behind the scenes during a performance. Choose from 17 different camera angles  and three different sound mixes  or follow the prompt book  which is used to cue the technical crew and artists. A flaming helix, trap doors and a two-ton spinning wall feature in this performance of Act III of Wagner’s Die Walküre.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2014, 07:38:56 PM »
How the hell have I not seen this thread.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »
When I was a yung'un I was lucky enough to get enrolled in a university course that heavily pressed the ideas of semiotics, deconstructinalism and structuralism and introduced to the ideas of Roland Barthes abnd Focault and the like.  It was pretty challenging to my personal beliefs, particularly when I had spent my adolescent years trying to develop myself as a classical musician, and reading Jane Austen.  I felt that it undermined what I thought I knew about the study of literature and music and I wasn't really ready to hear it, so I dropped out and headed off to study music some more.

Now I would say that a lot of that philsophical reading has gone over my head, but I guess now I realise how important that thought is to what we refer to, for want of a better term, as "classical" music.  For my part, I think the discourse that surrounds classical is that it is  a "higher" form of music, that it is separate from other music, that it is some kind of sainted music of pure intention, and the purpose in this society is that people listen to it to engage in something "better", or "highbrow".  Which is to say - it kind of sucks the life out of it.  I am thinking of Cameron's Diaz' boyfriend in Bad Teacher and his "who will save Opera!".  I can think of certain recordings made by an Australian orchestra where this kind of snobby attitude pervades the music, making it unlistenable for me. 

Certainly there are composers who do not fit at all into that discourse - this is why until only recently Haydn was viewed as a "lesser" composer to Beethoven and Mozart, who do certainly fit the idea of sainted artists better.  It's an interesting excercise to challenge yourself to take Haydn as seriously as the other two of the sainted classical trinity - his work is more innovative, more extensive, it has quality high's and quality lows.  Given that similes are lies, if Mozart's music is like the stars in the eather, or Beethoven is the music of a stomping giant, Haydn's music is like the soil beneath your feet, or your life flowing through your veins - there is an inner tension that you will miss if you are, say,  listening for the secrets of the human condition. And whilst in this day and age musicology is viewed as pointless, I do not think that Haydn's recent resurgence would have happened without the work of the musicologist James Webster, particularly for me his book "Haydn's 'Farewell' Symphony and the Idea of Classical Style" - a book which melted my face.   :hefdaddy

It's another interesting exercise to remove the classical music education shibboleths' of "baroque", "classical", "romantic", "modern" and "contemporary" styles - to view the works that we knows as historical documents, not artefacts, as products of their time.  If we think that Mozart, Haydn were influenced by the ideas of the Age of Enlightenment that surrounded them, influenced by historical events that dominated their time such as the French and American revolution, as well as their requirement to find patrons and make a living; or to think about Beethoven being influenced by the person of Goethe and his ideas of what purposes art and the artist serve, as well as his salesmanship and taking commercial advantage of the Viennese embarrasment at the fate of Mozart - rather than some vague ideal to do with greek architecture.   

And further, it's interesting if we just kind of say "it's music".  That there is no boundary between it and other musics.  That it is imperative for compoasers and performers of that music,as with all other musics, rather than trying to convey some concept about for example "THE CLASSICAL", are aiming to make a connection with the audience, on a personal level - that we as listeners are engaged with a living document, rather than looking at a dusky picture in a frame, and that we have a right to say "yep, that's great", or "nooo, that's not for me", without some judgement or self judgement that "yes, you are intelligent for hearing it" or "yes, I am engaging in a higher activity here".

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
Love Opera but I prefer Puccini to Wagner.

dinosaur...grrrrrr

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »
Love Opera but I prefer Puccini to Wagner.

dinosaur...grrrrrr

Yes it's George Frederic Handel Pig
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2015, 02:12:34 AM »
When I was a yung'un I was lucky enough to get enrolled in a university course that heavily pressed the ideas of semiotics, deconstructinalism and structuralism and introduced to the ideas of Roland Barthes abnd Focault and the like.  It was pretty challenging to my personal beliefs, particularly when I had spent my adolescent years trying to develop myself as a classical musician, and reading Jane Austen.  I felt that it undermined what I thought I knew about the study of literature and music and I wasn't really ready to hear it, so I dropped out and headed off to study music some more.

Now I would say that a lot of that philsophical reading has gone over my head, but I guess now I realise how important that thought is to what we refer to, for want of a better term, as "classical" music.  For my part, I think the discourse that surrounds classical is that it is  a "higher" form of music, that it is separate from other music, that it is some kind of sainted music of pure intention, and the purpose in this society is that people listen to it to engage in something "better", or "highbrow".  Which is to say - it kind of sucks the life out of it.  I am thinking of Cameron's Diaz' boyfriend in Bad Teacher and his "who will save Opera!".  I can think of certain recordings made by an Australian orchestra where this kind of snobby attitude pervades the music, making it unlistenable for me. 

Certainly there are composers who do not fit at all into that discourse - this is why until only recently Haydn was viewed as a "lesser" composer to Beethoven and Mozart, who do certainly fit the idea of sainted artists better.  It's an interesting excercise to challenge yourself to take Haydn as seriously as the other two of the sainted classical trinity - his work is more innovative, more extensive, it has quality high's and quality lows.  Given that similes are lies, if Mozart's music is like the stars in the eather, or Beethoven is the music of a stomping giant, Haydn's music is like the soil beneath your feet, or your life flowing through your veins - there is an inner tension that you will miss if you are, say,  listening for the secrets of the human condition. And whilst in this day and age musicology is viewed as pointless, I do not think that Haydn's recent resurgence would have happened without the work of the musicologist James Webster, particularly for me his book "Haydn's 'Farewell' Symphony and the Idea of Classical Style" - a book which melted my face.   :hefdaddy

It's another interesting exercise to remove the classical music education shibboleths' of "baroque", "classical", "romantic", "modern" and "contemporary" styles - to view the works that we knows as historical documents, not artefacts, as products of their time.  If we think that Mozart, Haydn were influenced by the ideas of the Age of Enlightenment that surrounded them, influenced by historical events that dominated their time such as the French and American revolution, as well as their requirement to find patrons and make a living; or to think about Beethoven being influenced by the person of Goethe and his ideas of what purposes art and the artist serve, as well as his salesmanship and taking commercial advantage of the Viennese embarrasment at the fate of Mozart - rather than some vague ideal to do with greek architecture.   

And further, it's interesting if we just kind of say "it's music".  That there is no boundary between it and other musics.  That it is imperative for compoasers and performers of that music,as with all other musics, rather than trying to convey some concept about for example "THE CLASSICAL", are aiming to make a connection with the audience, on a personal level - that we as listeners are engaged with a living document, rather than looking at a dusky picture in a frame, and that we have a right to say "yep, that's great", or "nooo, that's not for me", without some judgement or self judgement that "yes, you are intelligent for hearing it" or "yes, I am engaging in a higher activity here".

Most of these exercises can be applied to rock or any other kind of music.  Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart being several centuries old have certainly acquired a lot of baggage along the way, but I don't see how musicology has become pointless.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2015, 08:47:12 AM »
 OK question classical music people…

When you listen to music for the baroque era or before, do you prefer to listen to it in Baroque tuning, or standard a440 tuning?

I prefer baroque tuning only for the fact that when I losten to it it's likely the way that the person who composed it envisioned it when he was writing it. Because I have perfect pitch, it took me a little bit to train my ear to accept that fact, but once I accept the fact that in this song it is a 415 instead of 440, I'm OK with that. I actually prefer it that way, with period Instruments if possible.

What do you guys think?

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2016, 10:03:36 PM »
I'm a huge fan of '20th century' classical especially and over the past year and a half have hauled in around 30 cds, just thought I'd introduce myself to this section of the forum.
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
Singing a ton of madrigals in the next few days as well as a larger Bach motet, Der Geist hilft unsrer Schwachheit auf, BWV 226... that piece is not easy. It's fun to sing though.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »
Big bump, but I'm seeing Itzhak Perlman tonight.  :metal

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2016, 10:58:48 AM »
From the vague hints my orchestra director has told me, first concert looks like it's going to be Dvorak's Symphony 8 and some Rachmaninoff piece.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2017, 02:21:27 PM »
What a voice, one of the best renditions i've heard in a while.

Jonas Kaufmann - Nessun Dorma
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:27:05 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
:clap:

Fantastic!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
I love Shostakovich 11th Symphony especially the 2nd mov which features one of the most epic percussion sections i've heard.

https://youtu.be/Lu09CWT41NE?t=26m52s

I starts at 29:48 but listen too the build up for the most grand experience and also, crank up the volume for the ultimate war experience.  :tup

I love when the orchestra starts playing triplets.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:44:47 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »
I love Shostakovich 11th Symphony especially the 2nd mov which features one of the most epic percussion sections i've heard.

I starts at 29:48 but listen too the build up for the most grand experience and also, crank up the volume for the ultimate war experience.  :tup

YES! It's absolutely awesome and a powerful moment. The finale is also spectacular, with the bells tolling the warning in the closing bars.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2019, 12:42:15 PM »
Food for the soul:

Violin Sonata No. 1 in G Minor (Fugue), by J.S. Bach on Marimba:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfsce3QgDI

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2020, 12:43:16 PM »

YES! It's absolutely awesome and a powerful moment. The finale is also spectacular, with the bells tolling the warning in the closing bars.
It's such an epic section, sry for the late response.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2021, 01:54:34 PM »
I visited the Birgit Nilsson museum today with work. What an incredible strong woman with such a huge voice.

This is just an example, she just sings with such ease:
Birgit Nilsson sings ending of Brunnhilde's Immolation Scene score

Offline krands85

« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2021, 08:26:00 AM »

Shostakovich - Symphony No 11 in G minor, Op 103 - Søndergård

I've been getting in to classical music the last 18 months or so and the 2nd and 4th movements of this symphony are my favourite pieces, incredible intensity. Shostakovich is just fantastic.  :hefdaddy
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2023, 02:00:09 AM »

Shostakovich - Symphony No 11 in G minor, Op 103 - Søndergård

I've been getting in to classical music the last 18 months or so and the 2nd and 4th movements of this symphony are my favourite pieces, incredible intensity. Shostakovich is just fantastic.  :hefdaddy
Yea it's really intense music, straight out of a war movie but also with alot of build up and tension. Shaostakovich was a master at creating enormous sounds.

Another epic piece of music is Ottorino Respighis Pines of Rome especially the last movement The Pines of the Appian Way. It's just a big epic climax. I love when you get a brief shot of the percussion section 4:25 absoultly wrecking their instruments kinda, they're having a fun day at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uinob0vq3MA&ab_channel=JuanRaRivas