Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 36090 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2021, 10:52:14 AM »
I can't say I like much at all in the way of modern pop music but I think Pink + White by Frank Ocean is a great, great song. Get some serious Stevie Wonder vibes  :heart

My wife does have pretty good taste in music to me fair, we just don't have a lot of crossover. This is for sure a song I'm glad she introduced me to. I suppose the last time that happened was with Take Me to Church by Hozier (which is an even better song).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2021, 12:09:04 PM »
I know this sounds a lot like Hyperbole...

But I genuinely think that Ed Sheeran is the worst thing to happen to music.

At least in a long time.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2021, 12:59:15 AM »
I know this sounds a lot like Hyperbole...

But I genuinely think that Ed Sheeran is the worst thing to happen to music.

At least in a long time.

I can't think of a single song of his I recall or like but he seemed like a very talented performer from the odd live clip I've seen. What's your beef with him?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2021, 01:33:36 AM »
Yeah, no.  Ed Sheeran is not the worst thing to happen to music.  I get it if you don't like the guy.  Just say it like that.  I don't like plenty of artists and I won't go out of my way saying they are the worst thing to happen to music.  Why do people have to feel like certain bands/artists are the worst things that happened to music in their time.  Heck, people feel that way about Creed and Nickelback in their time and I'm going frank.  They, along with Ed Sheeran, ain't the worst thing to happen to music.  Not by a long shot.

On another note, it's interesting how as the pandemic keeps going, I have fallen out of listening to Modern Active Rock radio bands that gets plays on Sirius XM Octane and in its replacement, the void is filled by JPop/Jrock and quite honestly, I feel more calmer as a result.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2021, 02:28:08 AM »
Interesting to hear how music preference has changed over lockdown. I've listened to more instrumental music and very little metal. I yearn for anything that moves me and is communicating something I interpret as real.

Talking of metal, I've recently been enjoying the last Armored Saint album a lot. It has a joyful, uplifting vibe, even though they are a metal band. However, I've almost completely stopped enjoying new metal over the last few years. I often dip into things people talk about on the web and on this board but it very much leaves me cold now.

It's weird and confuses me slightly. I grew up on metal (47 now) and I enjoy most records I enjoyed in the day (inc 'extreme' bands like Slayer, Enslaved, Morbid Angel, etc) but new extreme metal just seems so pointless, joyless unconvincing and a repetition of the past. (Just thought of some exceptions I do enjoy - the heavy bits of Dev's Empath, some of Ihsahn's output)

Now, I know this must mainly be me, but I suspect some of it actually is that metal has stagnated over recent years with few bands having their own identities.

Maybe I was spoiled as a teenager. Me and mine witnessed the birth of thrash, glam, funk, death (and later black) metals. The recent evolutions I can think of are Meshuggah and math metal (eg Dillinger Escape Plan) but they are not remotely new now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:57:52 AM by DoctorAction »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2021, 03:02:48 AM »
It's mainly how ubiquitous he is. How often I hear one of his 'songs' . How many pop songs now have him as a co writer.

He's starting to appear in films and tv shows. I looked up a pop song the other day completely at random - from years ago

and he was a co writer on it.

I got the last Bryan Adams album and he's a co writer on one song.

it's like Dude - Just FUCK OFF...

Plus his 'music' is so completely bland and generic and simple.  And he's had multiple lawsuits for plagiarism... And he has a team of writers.

He just seems to be ultra successful for no real reason.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2021, 03:07:24 AM »
Also - which is the most recent Weezer album that's actually any good ?

I like Green and Blue - but after that - not much. Hated Pinkerton. The general consensus seems to be White.

They seem to be doing an Offspring - just turning into a novelty band and their material has gone south.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2021, 03:56:24 AM »
it's like Dude - Just FUCK OFF...

:rollin Fair enough.

I hadn't realised he was so ever-present or the plagiarism stuff. Interesting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2021, 04:01:55 AM »
Yeah, I never understood why this dude was so popular either.  I agree what I've heard from him too is fucking bland and boring too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online DTA

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2021, 04:13:53 AM »
Quote from: Kotowboy link=topic=56132.msg2743613#msg27436pretty damn13 date=1611482844
Also - which is the most recent Weezer album that's actually any good ?

I like Green and Blue - but after that - not much. Hated Pinkerton. The general consensus seems to be White.

They seem to be doing an Offspring - just turning into a novelty band and their material has gone south.

A lot of Weezer fans think anything that's not Blue or Pinkerton is garbage. I think there's a lot to like on all of their albums, even if there's some shitty material scattered throughout.

Everything Will Be Alright in the End is my favorite of theirs and is awesome throughout, but White is great too so check out either of them. I'm pretty much the only person that loves Black, Pacific Daydream, and Hurley and they have enough great songs to be enjoyable throughout imo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2021, 04:21:46 AM »
I think that four albums in 2 years is really spreading yourself thin.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2021, 04:22:37 AM »
Yeah, I never understood why this dude was so popular either.  I agree what I've heard from him too is fucking bland and boring too.

it's like - his song The A Team could be literally ANYBODY at an open mic night anywhere. It's so generic and obvious.

EDIT

Also - being on so many pop songs and guesting with so many different people etc - you realise that he loves money more than music.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:34:17 AM by Kotowboy »

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2021, 05:45:34 AM »
it's like - his song The A Team could be literally ANYBODY at an open mic night anywhere. It's so generic and obvious.

Yet nobody did until Ed Sheeran recorded that track and it became popular.

Also - being on so many pop songs and guesting with so many different people etc - you realise that he loves money more than music.

Or, you know, he enjoys working with different people on different styles, because he loves music.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:55:21 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 06:29:41 AM »
Lmao no. He's a massive cash grabber.

If he loved music he wouldnt have a team of writers. That "Shape Of You" sounds like it was written by committee to appeal to as many pop fans as possible.

I literally just write this then went to my local shop to buy some groceries - and Ed Sheeran was on the radio when I went in ..  :lol

It was that shitty I dont Care nursery rhyme with Justine Beaver. Absolute shite.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 06:47:24 AM »

Ok. Sure. He's also a hard-working artist.

If he loved music he wouldnt have a team of writers. That "Shape Of You" sounds like it was written by committee to appeal to as many pop fans as possible.

What does 'having a team of writers' have to do with 'loving music'? You can easily look up the fact that Ed Sheeran basically writes all of his own songs. People adding stuff in the studio, or changing stuff here and there should be considered a good thing. Many bands record stuff without outside influence; feedback in the recording process is important.

Besides; guess what: it worked. Shape of You has been the most streamed song on Spotify for years.

I literally just write this then went to my local shop to buy some groceries - and Ed Sheeran was on the radio when I went in ..  :lol

Yes, and?

It was that shitty I dont Care nursery rhyme with Justine Beaver. Absolute shite.

Never heard that one before. I got treated to 'Sorry' by Justin Bieber yesterday in my supermarket. Wanna swap?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online HOF

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 06:56:27 AM »
I’ve never heard an Es Sheeran song (that I know of).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2021, 07:48:00 AM »
I guarantee you have.

Online HOF

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2021, 10:09:25 AM »
I guarantee you have.

What’s his big hit? I never listen to radio and don’t watch much TV so I’m not sure where I would hear it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »
There's I Don't Care with Justine Beaver and " The Shape Of You " which is a 4 bar loop for 5 minutes...

He's got so many singles....

-------

Anyway today I realised that MONSTER is REM's 9th album so the remixed version they put out coulda been stylised as MONSTER - R.E.M. IX Ed.

;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2021, 11:11:12 AM »

Ok. Sure. He's also a hard-working artist.

What does 'having a team of writers' have to do with 'loving music'? You can easily look up the fact that Ed Sheeran basically writes all of his own songs. People adding stuff in the studio, or changing stuff here and there should be considered a good thing. Many bands record stuff without outside influence; feedback in the recording process is important.

Besides; guess what: it worked. Shape of You has been the most streamed song on Spotify for years.

Yes, and?

Never heard that one before. I got treated to 'Sorry' by Justin Bieber yesterday in my supermarket. Wanna swap?

And there are "Artists" that are created by the record label. They look for upcoming musicians to sell their musical product. These are usually your Pop Artists. More Celebrity than musician. You can get any band, and market them up as much as these pop artists, and guarantee people will begin to listen to them. But these record labels, have a set musical style, and product they want put out. And bands won't make music that the record labels want.

I think those Pop Artists are talented people, why else would the label get them. It's just that, I feel it's wasted, by agreeing to push the labels product, because they're getting paid and fame for it.

I heard them do some amazing Piano only, or acoustic only versions of their hits and I actually prefer those versions. More so than the produced stuff that is released on their albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2021, 11:22:48 AM »
Another big song of Ed Sheeran's is Thinking Out Loud.  That one has plagiarism allegations as well.

Now, I don't care how he or his legal team handles these claims or if they win or lose. I won't switch to another channel if I hear one of his songs.  The same can't be said for other artists/bands.  Some of those bands/artists are those that people of DTF like.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2021, 11:30:40 AM »
Rick Beato played the one that sounds like Marvin gaye side by side and yep - same key AND tempo...

if you're gonna steal - at least change the key and the tempo ffs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2021, 11:35:22 AM »
Another big song of Ed Sheeran's is Thinking Out Loud.  That one has plagiarism allegations as well.

Now, I don't care how he or his legal team handles these claims or if they win or lose. I won't switch to another channel if I hear one of his songs.  The same can't be said for other artists/bands.  Some of those bands/artists are those that people of DTF like.

I would probably like some of his songs, if I heard them. But, I also like songs from many different styles. As does everyone, and some people only like a certain style of music and that is all they listen to. I listen to bands that I feel, have a great sound within that style/genre. And some bands I think have a great blend of styles and genres. I really like hearing those that blend genres that wouldn't seem to mix, some are actually pretty good, but the majority of them just aren't quite blended right. But once that one band goes and makes that perfect blend, then a new style of music will become popular and be the trend of a generation. Like that 80's Hair Ballads, and AquaNet, Spandex.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online HOF

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
Just looked up some Ed Sheeran on Amazon. I’m pretty sure I don’t know any of those songs, but they’re pretty indistinguishable from most modern pop stuff so maybe I have and don’t know it. Sounds pretty banal but it’s easy enough for me to avoid that kind of stuff. It would suck to be exposed to it regularly though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »

Or, you know, he enjoys working with different people on different styles, because he loves music.

I'm kinda with Elite on this.  I can't stand the guy, frankly, but my wife and two daughters dig him, and while there's a lot you can say about the guy, "in it for the cash" isn't, I think, one of them.  I also don't know him to have a "team" of writers; I got the impression he wrote most of his own stuff or with a writing parter.  He DOES like the collaboration, though, and that wears thin with me; I'm not really a fan of that, at least not at the frequency with which he does it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2021, 04:30:50 PM »
How does someone with such a wussy voice have a song entitled something as awesome as The A Team? Can you imagine him reading off the intro dialogue? "In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit..."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2021, 06:34:08 PM »
Is Justine Beaver not a silly nickname for Justin Bieber?

I can do without Ed Sheeren. I've never heard anything I've liked from him.

The Offspring's last truly great album was Americana. Conspiracy of One is good, but a step down. Splinter does have some good songs, but feels too short, even for The Offspring. Then they went back to their home planet and were never seen or heard again.

I wish Taylor Swift would take a few years off. Just move to Antarctica.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2021, 07:08:28 PM »

The Offspring's last truly great album was Americana. Conspiracy of One is good, but a step down. Splinter does have some good songs, but feels too short, even for The Offspring. Then they went back to their home planet and were never seen or heard again.

I was with you till the last one; one of the few artists now that I'm truly interested in seeing what she comes up with next.  I don't mean that to say that I'm not looking forward to new music - I preordered both Transatlantic AND LTE - but I basically know what I'm getting there.  She seems to be really mixing it up each time and keeping the quality there.  No small feat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2021, 07:25:18 PM »

I was with you till the last one; one of the few artists now that I'm truly interested in seeing what she comes up with next.  I don't mean that to say that I'm not looking forward to new music - I preordered both Transatlantic AND LTE - but I basically know what I'm getting there.  She seems to be really mixing it up each time and keeping the quality there.  No small feat.

My wife is a huge Taylor Swift fan, so she's always listening to her. I need a break. Also, Reputation and Lover were crap and a huge disappointment after the excellent 1989. Folklore and Evermore are just tired and old. Definitely a step up from the last 2, but I need a damn break.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2021, 07:33:53 PM »
What the heck.  How many albums has she released since 1989?  Isn't that a recent album?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »
What the heck.  How many albums has she released since 1989?  Isn't that a recent album?

1989 was 2014. Crazy.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2021, 02:32:58 AM »
and a Cameo in the movie.

Why has Huey never been nominated for the Rock Hall?

Because it isn't hip to be square.
👏
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2021, 03:00:44 AM »

I meant singer songwriters at open mic nights. All their songs are the same 4 chord generic cookie cutter song as The A Team. Yet Sheeran is a signed artist.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2021, 03:17:33 AM »
In rock and metal music, lots of riffs get repeated without any variation whatsoever.
Green Day's entire discography is built on three chords.
Bob Dylan's too.
Metallica's riffs all sound the same (or at least similar).
Hotel California uses the same chord progression throughout the entire song and switches it around on the chorus.
In the rock-'n-roll age everybody was doing the 12 bar blues progression (and lots of people still do).
Sex Machine by James Brown uses just two chords.
Some terrible rap track I heard last week featured the same three-note keyboard melody looped throughout the entire track.
Squ

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2021, 05:57:14 AM »

I meant singer songwriters at open mic nights. All their songs are the same 4 chord generic cookie cutter song as The A Team. Yet Sheeran is a signed artist.

Record labels go out and search for artists to add to their label. And those major labels look for people that will make the music they say to make. Making them sign a contract, that says, they have to do it or else. It's why bands really need to look at their contracts really good. Even hiring a lawyer to consult through the contracts is done by bands.

We should know this because the record company wanted Dream Theater to make an album, they wanted. It's why FII is the way it is.

Some of these signed artists take the bait. And some of these end up becoming producers, or were originally producers before becoming a solo artist. Bruno Mars is one. Ed Sheeran could be one.

You want to see an interesting side to the music business and record labels. Read up about Hip-Hop artists and their labels. It's a reason why people say Suge Night killed 2Pac.