Author Topic: WandaVision (Disney+) Official Thread  (Read 18770 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: WandaVision Official Trailer - Disney+
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 07:04:58 PM »
I just watched this video by TONY STARKS explaining ep 1 and 2 of WV. It is in Spanish, it is very detailed I am sure there must be an English version out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEo2rJp1omE

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:26 PM »
Story Featurette | Marvel Studios' WandaVision | Disney+

CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzqDoEHS08

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2021, 05:24:10 PM »
Spoilers for Episode 2:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2021, 05:55:17 PM »
:|
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2021, 10:11:42 PM »
:|

Offline faizoff

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
New episode is out, getting into 70s shows now I see. Plus a bit more reality. Reminds me of Better Call Saul in that regard. I'm guessing they'll continue a few more decades all the way to current day maybe?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 09:51:50 AM »
LOVED episode 3.  I wish they weren't so short.  That's really my only complaint.  I love how they basically merge these period sit-coms with the psychological thriller genre.  This is SO different for MCU, while still feeling familiar and fitting for an MCU-related title.  Disney is doing a bang-up job with their D+ streaming series in the Star Wars universe and MCU thus far.  If this kind of quality keeps up, I am going to be REALLY happy.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:46:40 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2021, 02:30:22 PM »
LOVED episode 3.  I wish they weren't so short.  That's really my only complaint.  I love how they basically merge these period sit-coms with the psychological thriller genre.  This is SO different for MCU, while still feeling familiar and fitting for an MCU-related title.  Disney is going a bang-up job with their D+ streaming series in the Star Wars universe and MCU thus far.  If this kind of quality keeps up, I am going to be REALLY happy.
Agreed on all counts. I'm really loving WandaVision so far, the fusion of styles is really working for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »
Yeah, really intriguing. Liking it. The eps are short, though. Keeps me wanting me more, though!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2021, 10:15:50 AM »
I like a good mystery, and I like a good mindfuck, but there needs to be some kind of anchor in reality, at some point it would be nice to have some idea what the hell is going on.  Obviously things are not what they seem; they're not actually living in a 50's-60's-70's sitcom world, and we've seen how there are cracks appearing in the facade.  But it's being dragged out so slowly that it's getting tedious.

Still intriguing, but really, if something doesn't happen soon that actually makes some kind of fucking sense, I might be out.  For some reason, I was thinking that the third episode would be where we actually get some idea of what's going on.  Instead, it's all a bunch of weird shit going on, and the occassional hint about what's really happening, still very cryptic, still stringing us along...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2021, 10:41:46 AM »
I like a good mystery, and I like a good mindfuck, but there needs to be some kind of anchor in reality, at some point it would be nice to have some idea what the hell is going on.  Obviously things are not what they seem; they're not actually living in a 50's-60's-70's sitcom world, and we've seen how there are cracks appearing in the facade.  But it's being dragged out so slowly that it's getting tedious.

Still intriguing, but really, if something doesn't happen soon that actually makes some kind of fucking sense, I might be out.  For some reason, I was thinking that the third episode would be where we actually get some idea of what's going on.  Instead, it's all a bunch of weird shit going on, and the occassional hint about what's really happening, still very cryptic, still stringing us along...

20 minutes a week is too much of a time commitment for you??   :lol  Patience my man.

I'm wondering if ep 4 or 5 might be a single episode largely outside of Westview to show what's been going on in the real world so far as SWORD tries to 'get' (physically and mentally) through to Wanda.

Given Cheers is my fave sitcom of all time, I too will be disappointed if that's not the format for the 80s or 90s.  Surely it won't be The Cosby Show  :lol  :|.  Maybe Family Ties?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2021, 01:16:41 PM »
Seriously. I honestly thought that phase 4 would be the point where they jumped the shark. I just kept thinking there’s no way they can keep up the high quality of storytelling that they’ve been doing so far. And I originally thought the previews of the show looked a little weird and stupid. But I am completely blown away. I can’t believe that they are consistently sticking to quality over fan service. I hope that this is the pacing for all the D+ shows moving forward.

For years I’ve been complaining that most modern day movies never take the time to allow a story to develop. Everything is spliced together like it was edited by Freddy Krueger. It’s so refreshing to see a show that dares to take the risk of slowing things down, developing a theme, developing tension, and developing characters. It’s a very old-school approach and I love it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2021, 01:30:15 PM »
It's moving a little slowly for me so far (did we really need three episodes to show us that there's something weird going on?), but I have faith the payoff will be worth it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 01:48:00 PM »
Somebody online tried to say that there’s nothing happened so far they they couldn’t of done in a single episode. I couldn’t help but shake my head. If all of what just happened happened in a single episode I would’ve shut it off. It would literally kill the whole thing.

One of the most important things that has happened by allowing it to slowly develop this way is establishing that every time Wanda doesn’t like some thing, she rewinds and changes things, or she will boot someone out. Either way, you’re establishing a pattern of her behavior in trying to maintain this façade.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 06:25:54 PM »
I definitely try not to tell anyone they are wrong for feeling how they feel about something. I do disagree with those who say it's moving too slow or is boring or something like. I think the show isn't just showing that "something isn't right here." It's developing the psychology of the people involved and creating tension, atmosphere and character while also slowly developing some plot. I think if you look for plot heavy move from A to B to C on a steady (and fast) pace, then this isn't what the show is trying to do. It's important to measure the show against what it's trying to do (in a grand scheme of things way). That said, if you aren't digging the show and want things to move faster and the plot to pick up and become more traditional, then it also means that what they ARE doing isn't connecting with you. Which is why I don't tell anyone they're wrong, because if they don't like something then there is definitely a reason for that, even if their complaints aren't necessarily always valid. I love the show but can totally see how it's not the thing that will connect with a lot of people.

It's definitely not getting rave reviews across the board. It does seem split into people who really love it and people who really don't like it and think it's boring. I hope Marvel will just do what they want to do and trust us to trust them, which I assume they will.

That said, if you want more traditional plot and a quicker pace and less gimmick, then in mid March we get The Falcon and the Winter Soldier which will hopefully please more of the wide array of Marvel fans. I know I'm pretty excited for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 06:57:06 PM »
I hope that this is the pacing for all the D+ shows moving forward.

I don't.  It fits this show perfectly.  But I don't think it would be fitting for the other shows, and I welcoming them each having their own identity and doing their own thing.  I could be wrong, but it appears that Falcon/Winter Soldier will be more "traditional" action/adventure, and Loki will be something completely different, so each of the first three D+ shows will have its own style, identity, and tone, and I love that.

Somebody online tried to say that there’s nothing happened so far they they couldn’t of done in a single episode.

I agree that it could have all been done in a single episode.  But I think Adami nailed it as to why it would not be best for what they are trying to accomplish.  What they are doing is brilliant, and I wouldn't change a thing so far.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2021, 08:12:53 PM »
I'm not saying it's boring.  It is very interesting.  A lot of thought and effort has gone into this show, and I think most of it is very well done.  The way they've captured the vibe of the old-school family sitcoms is incredible, production values are high, the writing is sharp, and obviously there's a master plan behind it all.  And Wanda is a total babe, so that's a big plus right there (you knew I was going to mention that, and I wouldn't want to disappoint).

But with only nine episodes total, we're 1/3 of the way through the show and literally don't know much more than "things are not what they seem".  Maybe this will be one of those shows where we don't understand it until we get to the very end.  Maybe we'll never know what the hell's going on for sure.  I'm just saying that building the tension is one thing, but I'd really like to know what the fuck is going on at some point, and they've given us no indication that that's even forthcoming.  I hate not knowing; I hate not understanding.  I'm way outside of my comfort zone, and it's... uncomfortable.  Meanwhile the practical side of me is screaming at me to not invest any more time into this if there isn't going to be a payoff.  I still think there will be one.  I just hope it turns out to be worth it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2021, 08:38:40 PM »
"Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch

Offline Adami

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2021, 08:54:24 PM »
I'm not saying it's boring.  It is very interesting.  A lot of thought and effort has gone into this show, and I think most of it is very well done.  The way they've captured the vibe of the old-school family sitcoms is incredible, production values are high, the writing is sharp, and obviously there's a master plan behind it all.  And Wanda is a total babe, so that's a big plus right there (you knew I was going to mention that, and I wouldn't want to disappoint).

But with only nine episodes total, we're 1/3 of the way through the show and literally don't know much more than "things are not what they seem".  Maybe this will be one of those shows where we don't understand it until we get to the very end.  Maybe we'll never know what the hell's going on for sure.  I'm just saying that building the tension is one thing, but I'd really like to know what the fuck is going on at some point, and they've given us no indication that that's even forthcoming.  I hate not knowing; I hate not understanding.  I'm way outside of my comfort zone, and it's... uncomfortable.  Meanwhile the practical side of me is screaming at me to not invest any more time into this if there isn't going to be a payoff.  I still think there will be one.  I just hope it turns out to be worth it.

Totally get that. Much of my post was just aimed at the general people who have expressed displeasure with it.

As far as what's happening, you're right that we don't totally know. It has a big mystery element. But we do know more than "things are not what they seem." We know that there is a small town that has been created inside some sort of force field and inside of that is Wanda and all of her stuff, and outside of it is SWORD and maybe other military trying to figure out what the hell is going on inside and how to help. Looks like they have tried to send in people to infiltrate (Bee keeper guy) and have even succeeded with Monica who got kicked out. So we know a little bit but don't have all the info. Which I'm fine with.

Edit: I feel like this is going to be the kind of show where when it's over, a lot of people will want to watch it over again with all the info and see it in a different way or catch a lot of things that now make sense in a different light. Like when The 6th Sense came out and we all saw it again after finding out Bruce was dead the whole time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2021, 09:46:41 PM »
We know that there is a small town that has been created inside some sort of force field and inside of that is Wanda and all of her stuff, and outside of it is SWORD and maybe other military trying to figure out what the hell is going on inside and how to help. Looks like they have tried to send in people to infiltrate (Bee keeper guy) and have even succeeded with Monica who got kicked out.

We know this?  I mean, that sounds like a reasonable explanation for some of the stuff we've seen, but I would not have gotten to that from what I've seen, and I've watched each episode twice.  Also, who is Monica?  You mean Geraldine?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2021, 10:07:26 PM »
We know that there is a small town that has been created inside some sort of force field and inside of that is Wanda and all of her stuff, and outside of it is SWORD and maybe other military trying to figure out what the hell is going on inside and how to help. Looks like they have tried to send in people to infiltrate (Bee keeper guy) and have even succeeded with Monica who got kicked out.

We know this?  I mean, that sounds like a reasonable explanation for some of the stuff we've seen, but I would not have gotten to that from what I've seen, and I've watched each episode twice.  Also, who is Monica?  You mean Geraldine?

Yes. They established that she’s the little girl from Captain Marvel all grown up.

Offline Adami

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »

Yea. Geraldine.

And I think they gave us plenty to know that stuff. I just typed out stuff they have definitely made clear and didn’t include any theories. They didn’t flat out tell us it all in exposition but they very much showed us.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2021, 11:46:47 PM »
I don't think they've yet confirmed/demonstrated in the show that Geraldine is Monica Rambeau have they? Though that particular point has been known about since casting announcements a few months ago I think.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2021, 07:26:52 AM »
Okay, I'll take your word for it.  Geraldine was acting weird for a minute, then she went back to "normal", then later she was blasted out into a field, at night, and there were cops and lights and I went "what the fuck?"  That this was a glimpse out of WandaVision and into "the real world" makes sense; I guess I just wasn't putting that together.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2021, 07:58:23 AM »
Okay, I'll take your word for it.  Geraldine was acting weird for a minute, then she went back to "normal", then later she was blasted out into a field, at night, and there were cops and lights and I went "what the fuck?"  That this was a glimpse out of WandaVision and into "the real world" makes sense; I guess I just wasn't putting that together.
I appreciate that some of the points such as Geraldine being Monica Rambeau and her necklace being the SWORD logo won't be clear yet for most viewers (I myself didn't know about the SWORD thing and at the time of watching had forgotten the casting stuff about Monica). But can I check that you've watched previous MCU films, particularly the Avengers ones that Wanda and Vision have been in?

The reason I ask is that this show absolutely requires viewers to be familiar with the backstory of these two characters from the prior movies. You describe it as though a bunch of random events happened, but it's all tied into things we've seen before. Geraldine wasn't just randomly "acting weird for a minute", she specifically asked Wanda about Ultron killing her twin brother (in Avengers: Age of Ultron), i.e. she knows about the real world. We also know that Wanda was distraught about losing Vision in the most recent Avengers films, and that she can control/affect what's going on in Westview because we've seen her rewind time twice in previous episodes, so evidently she did something to blast Geraldine out of Westview when it became clear she knew about the real world, presumably to try and maintain this fantasy she's in where Vision is still alive.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2021, 09:53:37 AM »
Yes, I've seen all the MCU films, some more than once, but most just once or twice.  Geraldine seemed to "remember" that Ultron kill Pietro, and Wanda kinda freaked out that someone in Westview would know that and comment on it.  That much I got.  Then she gets blasted out to the real world.  I hadn't put that together, but it makes sense.

I get that they're slowly revealing things and (hopefully) it will all eventually make sense.  But this series is demanding a lot of patience of the viewer, and also requiring that they put together a lot of things that happened in films spread over 10 years (though mostly in the latter part of that 10-year run).

Maybe I'm just not copping to the "new" way TV series are done these days.  I don't actually watch a lot of TV, my background is in mostly episodic stuff from the 20th century.  The Mandalorian is the only other recent show I've seen, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  There are references to other Star Wars properties sprinkled throughout, quite liberally actually, but the overall story holds together without the viewer having any background at all.  WandaVision is like the exact opposite of that.  The story makes no sense on the surface, and even if you do recognize the SWORD logo, or catch the signficance of Stark Industries making a toaster or Stucker making watches, after three episodes everything is still pretty much in the "this will all make sense eventually" stage.  It's coming together, but very slowly.  Painfully slowly.  I'm repeating myself now, so I will stop and hope that maybe I'll be able to wrap my brain it all at some point.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2021, 10:20:49 AM »
Moments I had serious mental whiplash:

The cut when Wanda reset the reality

Ultron name drop (Pietro was close)

Vision almost figuring it out TWICE

The aspect ratio change at the end.

Holy shit this episode is by far the best

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2021, 08:41:39 AM »

The aspect ratio change at the end.

I *loved* that transition.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
Dumb question time.

In writing, I've seen him referred to as Vision, but also "the Vision" and even "The Vision".  Which is it?

Or is this one of those situations where his real name is "The Vision" but people just call him "Vision"?  Wanda just calls him "Vis" most of the time.

Offline Adami

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2021, 11:07:54 AM »
Dumb question time.

In writing, I've seen him referred to as Vision, but also "the Vision" and even "The Vision".  Which is it?

Or is this one of those situations where his real name is "The Vision" but people just call him "Vision"?  Wanda just calls him "Vis" most of the time.

Not dumb. When he was created, he was essentially dubbed The Vision as more of a title than a name, but it became his name. Since The sounds weird to call someone, most people just refer to him as Vision or Vis.

It's like Bosk. We all call him Bosk, but his wife calls him The Bosk. You know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
Makes sense.  Although I always figured she called him Bosk 1 to distinguish him from all the others, but since there's only one, "The Bosk" makes more sense.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2021, 12:16:00 PM »
Well, actually, much like this show, we run our household like a 50s sitcom.  So she refers to me as "Mr. 1."

Back to Vision, yeah, it's an interesting subtle little thread in Age of Ultron how his "name" comes about.  Thor first refers to him being from his vision that he had at the Well of Wyrd, and it just kind of sticks as a reference to him.  Later, Ultron twists that a bit and says, "They took my vision," also referring to Vision, but also not by "name" so much as Vision was the culmination of Ultron's vision of his and the world's "evolution."  Both are, of course, a play on the character's name from the comics, and an interesting way of seeing it become a name for this character in the MCU.  So, yeah, it's more of a "description" of something related to the character rather than the character himself (and two separate somethings, depending on who is using it), but gets adapted to be the character's name.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:21:57 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »
Age of Ultron is one of the MCU movies I've only seen once, and I vaguely remember some of this now.  I asked mostly because I think Vision is a pretty cool name, but then I references to "the Vision" and "The Vision" and wondered what was up with that.  That's kinda wacky how his name came about.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2021, 08:35:08 PM »
WandaVision | Episode 4 Promo 3 | Disney+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqMFPYwZ_TI

Offline faizoff

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2021, 01:07:45 PM »
Wow just wow what an episode!

I think this episode more than others felt really short. It was over by the time you knew it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:28:16 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan