Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164442 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #840 on: July 08, 2014, 03:55:51 AM »
Yeah reminds me of the PF Trances Mixes, I do like them once in a while.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: July 10, 2014, 06:31:52 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/pink_floyds_the_endless_river_will_feature_graham_nash_and_david_crosby.html

Graham Nash is providing new insights into Pink Floyd's forthcoming "The Endless River" project, confirming that he and long-time bandmate David Crosby added vocals to a David Gilmour-penned track dealing with loss.  "We went down to sing on this particular song that he wrote about friends that had died," Nash reveals, in a new talk with VH-1 Radio Network's Dave Basner (via Ultimate Classic Rock). "It's a beautiful song, too - beautiful."

This is great news. I love their harmonies, and they also sang on Dave's "On An Island".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #842 on: July 10, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »
That's kinda wacky, a bit outside of the "normal Pink Floyd" realm, but still could be very cool.  I liked Crosby and Nash's little guest appearance on Gilmour's concert vid.

Offline adace

« Reply #843 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »
45 years ago today since the moon landing. Here's PF's track "Moonhead" they recorded for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2HHT7txFQ0

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #844 on: July 21, 2014, 06:41:01 AM »
That was interesting.  Typical ambient, spacy 60's Pink Floyd I guess.  Not something I'd seek out today, but maybe back in my hallucinogenic years.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »
With the new Pink Floyd album looming over the horizon, an insider shared a few tidbits regarding the overall vibe, noting that the record won't be bringing any hit singles, and will also mark the end of the band. As reported, "The Endless River" is expected to drop later this year, featuring unreleased material from 1994's "The Division Bell" sessions. According to the Sun source, "It's not what fans will necessarily expect. The other songs, which David [Gilmour] has worked on with Nick Mason, are lengthy instrumentals rather than straight-up rock.

"It's beautiful but not exactly 'Another Brick in the Wall' or 'Wish You Were Here.' It's very spacey. It's got lots of keyboards from Rick [Wright] so you can see why the band are calling it his swansong. The track that Gilmour recorded vocals on will be the band's last-ever real song. It's a proper epic and a fitting farewell."

Seeing that the record was already described as predominantly ambient music, the new info should hardly strike you as surprising. However, the end-of-the-band claims do come as somewhat of a fresh info.

"It would probably be the highest-grossing tour in history if they reunited with Roger Waters. But Gilmour just won't have it. This album really is the end of Pink Floyd - for ever," the insider concluded (via Gigwise).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/pink_floyd_album_update_its_not_what_fans_will_necessarily_expect.html

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #846 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »
I think it could be cool. I don't mind long instrumental pieces, since I listen to a lot of Post-Rock and Ambient stuff, so it could very well be great.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #847 on: July 29, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
I think it could be cool. I don't mind long instrumental pieces, since I listen to a lot of Post-Rock and Ambient stuff, so it could very well be great.
And, particularly, considering Pink Floyd are known for lengthy instrumental passages and ambient sections.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #848 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
That's actually what sounds coolest of all to me, the instrumentals featuring Rick's keyboards.  I'm looking forward to this.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: July 29, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »
I can't figure out why every version of The Wall movie is so grainy and low res., even the DVD..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: July 29, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
I don't know much PF history, but I didn't think Rick had much left in the creative tank by this point.

And I don't generally like bands to release albums of rejects or cutting room floor stuff, but sounds like this material is getting proper attention from David and Nick. Mildly curious about this.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #851 on: July 29, 2014, 01:00:12 PM »
I can't figure out why every version of The Wall movie is so grainy and low res., even the DVD..

It was likely shot on lower-quality film stock.  And then every transfer to digital has to start from there.  Nowadays, they remaster and sometimes apply noise reduction (video noise reduction that is) but there's only so much they can do when the original flim stock was crap, and unless it says it's a remaster, it's just a direct transfer.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: August 04, 2014, 11:47:02 AM »
I can't remember if this has been posted in this thread or not but a while ago I found something pretty neat on youtube.

This is PULSE but it shows the PPV live broadcast along with the PPV live track so you can hear PULSE raw and unedited essentially, different camera shots as well.

Here is Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pat8A6TGBOc

You can find the second set on there too but it's split up into individual songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #853 on: August 04, 2014, 11:48:38 AM »
I still have the original show of it on VHS buried somewhere, as it was shown live on PPV.  I remember when the video came out, some of the camera angles and whatnot were different. 

As awesome as Pulse is, it still aggravates me that Astronomy Domine was chucked as the live opener.  It was an awesome opener and the video screen stuff for it was totally bad ass.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #854 on: August 05, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
Holy shit

at 1:00:33

DAT ENIGMA!

https://youtu.be/Pat8A6TGBOc?t=1h33s
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #855 on: August 05, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »
Oh Yeah, the Enigma campaign! I love that, though I'd like an answer now about it.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #856 on: August 05, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »
When I was in high school, I read about the campaign. I thought it was awesome. Then I got PULSE. I was looking forward to seeing that one shot with ENIGMA.

AND IT WASN'T THERE.

I was so disappoint.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: August 05, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »
Holy shit

at 1:00:33

DAT ENIGMA!

https://youtu.be/Pat8A6TGBOc?t=1h33s

Wow I'm completely missed it the first go around.

I have to say it again Tim Renwick has some pretty awesome solos on PULSE.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #858 on: September 22, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »
"Pink Floyd today unveiled the artwork for upcoming album The Endless River by displaying in 10 cities around the world, including an eight-metre installation on London’s South Bank.

David Gilmour and Nick mason have also revealed that the title – a tribute to late keyboardist Rick Wright – will be released on November 10 as an 18-track, four-sided double-album, with the intent of promoting the classic format.

Gilmour has confirmed Floyd’s first record in 21 years has its roots in sessions for 1993 release The Division Bell. He says: “We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together. Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. "

https://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-09-22/pink-floyd-endless-river-artwork-tracklist
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »
I like the cover, very Floydish :tup

Also: 18 tracks double album!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #860 on: September 22, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
The snippet :caffeine:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: September 22, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »
It shows one CD-disc on the standard edition pic though. Anyway, I'm getting CD+DVD edition with the hardcover booklet, I guess.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #862 on: September 22, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »

It was shot on 80mm film, that's why. It looks great on a cinema screen, not so good on a tv screen.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #863 on: September 22, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #864 on: September 22, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
It's just dawned on me that the guy who designed the cover for The Endless River wasn't even born when Pink Floyd's last album came out. Let that sink in for a moment.

Very nice artwork. I must admit I'm not that eager to get it immediately upon release, but I may wind up buying it in the future. Of course, that may change when a track is released and we can actually hear the music.

Another side point re. the article from Graham Nash mentioned here in July. He revealed that he was working with Gilmour on a song "about friends that had died". Now, I'm pretty sure that On An Island is about that. I believe Gilmour said that (or something along those lines) after performing it on the Remember That Night DVD.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #865 on: September 22, 2014, 09:15:55 AM »
What snippet?

There is an audio snippet in the Listen section. It seems that all kind of good things come under the label "Listen" these days  :P
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #866 on: September 23, 2014, 12:14:27 AM »
What snippet?

There is an audio snippet in the Listen section. It seems that all kind of good things come under the label "Listen" these days  :P
:rollin Got it!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:24 AM »
I didn't like the cover that much, looks like something Dream Theater would use, maybe cause it reminds me of the Dramatic Turn of Events cover.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: September 23, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »
What if they hade the unicycling clown in the boat? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: September 23, 2014, 07:20:11 AM »
Now you're on to something! hehe
The guy in the boat is probably the unicyclist finding new ways to cross bridges in the sky.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #870 on: September 23, 2014, 07:21:25 AM »
:clap:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #871 on: September 23, 2014, 09:12:52 AM »
The cover reminds me more of Spock's Beard's last album, Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep.

- Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #872 on: September 23, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
Don't care much for the cover. It looks a lot like We're Here Because We're Here meets A Dramatic Turn of Events. With that said, I'm still curious about this album. I don't have any expectations, but hopefully at least a few songs stand out.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: September 23, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
I still can't find the audio snippit, but I did notice who 'slammed' the new album. 

Only mildly curious about this. Interest went down reading it is primarily instrumental.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #874 on: September 23, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »