Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 162640 times)

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2010, 06:12:49 AM »
I used to find Shine On You Crazy Diamond incredibly boring, until I discovered psychedelic herbs :lol

That song is epic without that stuff.
with that stuff it's even more epic.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2010, 07:03:22 AM »
Just got around to this thread...

Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
The Final Cut
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2010, 08:21:48 AM »
Dark Side Of The Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
Well hello PF thread  :heart

Dark side of the Moon
The Wall
Animals

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Right now WYWH is my favorite Floyd album. Every song is incredible and the flow is river-stuff!

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
The Wall
Dark Side of the Moon
WYWH
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »
Animals
Obscured By Clouds
Atom Heart Mother

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
I used to find Shine On You Crazy Diamond incredibly boring, until I discovered psychedelic herbs :lol
Same here, but I thought it was great to begin with  ;D

Also, while in New Jersey, I picked up a cool Wall shirt and this poster: https://www.rockstarhq.com/black/pink%20floyd.htm (the one on the right).  :hat

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2010, 02:18:21 PM »

Really? I loved that song even before I started smoking. Actually, now that I think about it, that was probably my first exposure to progressive music.

Same, I love "Shine On..." way before I started blazing. I'm glad you see the light, though. :)

PF is in a league of their own for me. I have a huge 4ftx4ft poster of "Animals" above my desk. :biggrin:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »
Dark Side
Wish You Were Here
Animals/Meddle (I gave the vote to Animals, but it's really, really close)

Worst?
The Piper At the Gates of Dawn (Easily)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
PF is in a league of their own for me. I have a huge 4ftx4ft poster of "Animals" above my desk. :biggrin:

Man I want one of those!

btw fellas did you know about this incident?:

The original Pink Floyd pig was designed by Roger Waters and built in December 1976 by the artist Jeffrey Shaw with help of Designers team Hipgnosis, in preparation for shooting the cover of the Animals album. Plans were made to fly the forty-foot, helium-filled balloon over Battersea Power Station on the first day's photo-shoot, with a marksman prepared to shoot the pig down if it broke free. However, the pig was not launched.
On the second day, the marksman wasn't present because no one had told him to return, and the pig broke free due to a strong gust of wind on the third day, gaining a lot of press coverage. It disappeared from sight within five minutes, and was spotted by airline pilots at forty thousand feet in the air. Flights at Heathrow Airport were cancelled as the huge inflatable pig flew through the path of aircraft, eastwards from Britain and out over the English Channel, finally landing on a rural farm in Kent that night

:rollin
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
:lol

Awesome.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2010, 04:48:14 PM »

Really? I loved that song even before I started smoking. Actually, now that I think about it, that was probably my first exposure to progressive music.

My first exposure to progressive music was In the Court of the Crimson King because I wrote it. Yes, I invented prog.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2010, 12:53:36 AM »
Not sure if it was mentioned here, but has anyone heard the Flaming Lips' cover of Dark Side of the Moon? It's amazing! Such a great interpretation of a classic. I recommend checking it out.
Note: I'm not even a Lips fan

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2010, 01:44:43 AM »
Really? I thought it was awful. I couldn't even make it halfway through.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2010, 02:19:23 AM »
Piper
Dark Side
Animals

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2010, 02:57:55 AM »

My first exposure to progressive music was In the Court of the Crimson King because I wrote it. Yes, I invented prog.

Actually, "In Held Twas In I" is considered the first prog song. :neverusethis:

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2010, 05:14:33 AM »

The original Pink Floyd pig was designed by Roger Waters and built in December 1976 by the artist Jeffrey Shaw with help of Designers team Hipgnosis, in preparation for shooting the cover of the Animals album. Plans were made to fly the forty-foot, helium-filled balloon over Battersea Power Station on the first day's photo-shoot, with a marksman prepared to shoot the pig down if it broke free. However, the pig was not launched.
On the second day, the marksman wasn't present because no one had told him to return, and the pig broke free due to a strong gust of wind on the third day, gaining a lot of press coverage. It disappeared from sight within five minutes, and was spotted by airline pilots at forty thousand feet in the air. Flights at Heathrow Airport were cancelled as the huge inflatable pig flew through the path of aircraft, eastwards from Britain and out over the English Channel, finally landing on a rural farm in Kent that night

:rollin
:rollin :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2010, 11:23:35 PM »
My wife and I visited London years ago, and we took a boat tour that went up and down the river, including going past Battersea Power Station.  It was pretty cool seeing that building for real.  Yes, it looks just like on the album cover.  For a long time, I thought the album cover was a painting; something about the lighting made the photo look surreal.  Then I saw some of the other pictures from that shoot and realized that the lighting was just really weird that day, and it's really a photo.

Battersea isn't being used anymore.  I think they were in the midst of converting it to a huge shopping mall or something when we were there in 2001.

ETA:  That apparently fell through, according to wiki.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2010, 12:35:50 AM »
Hey so what's everyone favorite cover art from them? Mine would be Animals followed by Dark Side.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2010, 12:38:38 AM »
Hey so what's everyone favorite cover art from them? Mine would be Animals followed by Dark Side.

Animals has a cool cover, I have that one on a poster at home somewhere. DSOTM is a nice one too, and so recognizable and iconic.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2010, 12:41:22 AM »

Animals, although I didn't notice the pig until someone pointed out for me that there's a pig on the cover.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »
WYWH has an awesome cover

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2010, 03:54:52 AM »
A Momentary Lapse of Reason has a cool one to, the one with the beds on the beach.

"The cover shows 800 hospital beds, placed on Saunton Sands in Devon (where, coincidentally, some of the scenes for Pink Floyd The Wall were filmed). The beds were arranged by Thorgerson's partner, Colin Elgie. A hang glider can be seen in the sky, a clear reference to "Learning to Fly". The photographer, Robert Dowling, won a gold award at the Association of Photographers Awards for the image, which took about two weeks to create."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Momentary_Lapse_Of_Reason

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2010, 12:02:55 AM »
Animals... easily.

Great cover, that.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2010, 01:08:51 AM »
Well, I somehow lost my copy of Animals that I bought a few months ago, and since that was the only Floyd album I physically owned, I now have no Floyd. I went to Wal-Mart thinking that even though their music selection is nothing to write home about, they'd probably have Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, or maybe a copy of Animals so I could replace the one I lost.

All they have is The Division Bell. Lame.

Is it worth it to pick it up? Is it a good album? I'm a bit of a Floyd novice, but the lack of Roger Waters makes me apprehensive that I may not like it. It's either The Division Bell or nothing, because I don't feel like making the 45 minute drive to Best Buy tomorrow just to buy one album.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2010, 01:26:56 AM »
The Division Bell is good. It has two of my favourites (High Hopes, Lost For Words), two great ones (A Great Day For Freedom, Take It Back) and a couple of decent ones. If you like that album check out the Pulse DVD since it's got a couple of TDB songs on it (and the entire DSOTM album). It's a great DVD nonetheless!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2010, 03:27:35 AM »
You don't have a Target or a mall with a CD store in your area? or even a used CDs exchange kinda place? I think The Division Bell is gonna turn you off to Floyd for a while.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2010, 03:32:40 AM »
I live in a rural area, so sadly, nope.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2010, 04:47:46 AM »
My wife and I visited London years ago, and we took a boat tour that went up and down the river, including going past Battersea Power Station.  It was pretty cool seeing that building for real.  Yes, it looks just like on the album cover.  For a long time, I thought the album cover was a painting; something about the lighting made the photo look surreal.  Then I saw some of the other pictures from that shoot and realized that the lighting was just really weird that day, and it's really a photo.

Battersea isn't being used anymore.  I think they were in the midst of converting it to a huge shopping mall or something when we were there in 2001.

ETA:  That apparently fell through, according to wiki.
I would imagine I don't have to say this, but the building was used in Children of Men.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2010, 07:55:58 AM »

:metal
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2010, 08:46:45 AM »
Well, I somehow lost my copy of Animals that I bought a few months ago, and since that was the only Floyd album I physically owned, I now have no Floyd. I went to Wal-Mart thinking that even though their music selection is nothing to write home about, they'd probably have Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, or maybe a copy of Animals so I could replace the one I lost.

All they have is The Division Bell. Lame.

Is it worth it to pick it up? Is it a good album? I'm a bit of a Floyd novice, but the lack of Roger Waters makes me apprehensive that I may not like it. It's either The Division Bell or nothing, because I don't feel like making the 45 minute drive to Best Buy tomorrow just to buy one album.

I would go buy The Division Bell (which is really, really, really good) ASAP and then order the others online. :)

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »
I voted for Atom Heart Mother, Wish You Were Here and The Division Bell