Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164324 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1365 on: May 25, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »
I kinda have that problem with 2112 (the song) and Xanadu. They're never as cool as they were when frying...which I haven't done for decades. And probably won't again.

Get the new 5.1 version.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1366 on: May 25, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »
I think I'm weird. I've never been a big chemical guy, but when I smoked the most weed - college - I could only really tolerate the Dead when high.    I have a hard time focusing and listening when I'm out of my tree. Live music is no better; I like to have a couple drinks before a show, but I haven't been shitfaced for a concert since...  I can't tell you when. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1367 on: May 25, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
Listening to Animals a lot today.

I truly and utterly love Dogs and Pigs (three different ones). Sheep I can take it or leave it and Pigs on a wing 1 and 2 are just ok I guess.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: May 25, 2018, 09:36:51 PM »
The "Lord is my shepherd" part of Sheep is about the only thing keeping that album short of perfection.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1369 on: May 26, 2018, 12:38:12 AM »
No official word was even made and fans had no one that Wright had been ousted until the release of The Final Cut, where Wright's name was nowhere to be found on the album sleeve or liner notes.  That is the short version.
Didn't it become public knowledge a little earlier when Wright didn't attend the premiere of The Wall film?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1370 on: May 26, 2018, 07:08:50 AM »
No official word was even made and fans had no one that Wright had been ousted until the release of The Final Cut, where Wright's name was nowhere to be found on the album sleeve or liner notes.  That is the short version.
Didn't it become public knowledge a little earlier when Wright didn't attend the premiere of The Wall film?

Hmmm, I don't remember that, but you might be right.  I'd have to dig up my Floyd books, dust them up and re-read them again to find that out. :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1371 on: May 26, 2018, 07:33:51 AM »
Listening to Animals a lot today.

I truly and utterly love Dogs and Pigs (three different ones). Sheep I can take it or leave it and Pigs on a wing 1 and 2 are just ok I guess.

That's funny, I did the same thing yesterday.
Well Pigs On A Wing are just intro and outro, but I think they do a good job as such. Sure, it's nothing special, just the usual Waters-G-Major acoustic guitar stuff, but as I said... just intro and outro...
I agree on Dogs as the best song of the album.
I had to check which part you guys meant by the Lord is my shepherd part... I didn't even realize the vocoder voice part had "real" lyrics, thanks!! But I honestly don't know what's wrong with that part  ???
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1372 on: May 26, 2018, 09:00:19 AM »
I think Roger is one of the few people who can make such an ordinary chord progression so beautiful, both intro and outro to Animals are gorgeous. And the three songs themselves are equally great. I could never in my life pick the favorite one.

On a side note, saw Roger Waters in Budapest several weeks ago and he delivered a touching show that wasn't visually as spectacular as The Wall, but still really cool. I stood in the front row and managed to get a high five from him, which was like getting a high five from a God.  :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1373 on: May 26, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
I think Roger is one of the few people who can make such an ordinary chord progression so beautiful, both intro and outro to Animals are gorgeous. And the three songs themselves are equally great. I could never in my life pick the favorite one.

On a side note, saw Roger Waters in Budapest several weeks ago and he delivered a touching show that wasn't visually as spectacular as The Wall, but still really cool. I stood in the front row and managed to get a high five from him, which was like getting a high five from a God.  :lol

Please don't say more. Roger played one hour from here (Vienna). And I didn't go because no one wanted to go with me and I didn't want to spend 100€ to spend an evening alone.

BUUUUUT
I have tickets for Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets in September in Leipzig woooooh

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1374 on: May 26, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »

Word didn’t spread back then like it does today.  At that time, the reason for his absence could’ve been anything.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: May 26, 2018, 10:20:22 AM »
I had to check which part you guys meant by the Lord is my shepherd part... I didn't even realize the vocoder voice part had "real" lyrics, thanks!! But I honestly don't know what's wrong with that part  ???

That's the problem (for me anyway). There are words being spoken and they are damn near impossible to understand, as evidenced by your not even realizing they where actual lyrics. Not a big fan of vocoders either.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1376 on: May 28, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »
Wait... how does one possess the Animals album and not realize that the "23rd Psalm" section is actual words?  You can easily understand at least half of it, which would prompt most people to pick up the sleeve and read the lyrics to get whatever bits they didn't catch.  If you downloaded it, wouldn't you still want to check out the lyrics online or something?  I think Roger Waters is/was a collosal asshole, but I won't deny that his lyrics are amazing.

Also, it's obviously satire, from the sheep's point of view, and IMO pretty damned powerful.  It's actually open mockery.  What does one do with ultimate power over another life form?  And this is coming from a Christian.

And finally, that section is what leads into the final verse, the sheep's "revolt".  It's a very important part of the piece.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »
Disregarding most of that post since it doesn't apply to me, I personally wish those lyrics, outstanding as they are, were sung and not all vocoder'ed. I know they need to sound different because of the narrative of the song, but I just wish they were more intelligible to my ears. I can't "easily understand" them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1378 on: May 28, 2018, 09:44:26 PM »
Orbert, you nailed it.  :tup :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1379 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
I saw Roger Waters live in Helsinki this week and it was the best show I've ever seen :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1380 on: August 25, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »
I saw Roger Waters live in Helsinki this week and it was the best show I've ever seen :hefdaddy

:tup :tup

Sidebar:

This forum needs a "like" button for posts like this.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1381 on: October 31, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »
bump.

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour in North America March/April 2019

I can't see missing the Minneapolis show April 3rd  :tup

https://www.thesaucerfulofsecrets.com/?fbclid=IwAR1CQrHsd7Iyh0C1INCshAlLb98Wj840VhP-dSKGcu3Gi_GC0n6YgAaQzM0

03/12/2019 Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Vancouver
03/13/2019 The Paramount, Seattleon
03/15/2019 The Masonic, San Francisco
03/16/2019 The Wiltern, Los Angeles
03/19/2019 Comerica Theatre, Phoenix
03/21/2019 Paramount Theatre, Denver
03/24/2019 Pavilion At Toyota Music Factory, Dallas
03/25/2019 Jones Hall, Houston
03/27/2019 The Fillmore At The Jackie Gleeson, Miami Beach
03/29/2019 Tabernacle, Atlanta
03/31/2019 Stifel Theatre, St Louis
04/01/2019 Riverside Theater, Milwaukee
04/03/2019 Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis
04/04/2019 Chicago Theatre, Chicago
04/05/2019 The Old National Theatre, Indianapolis
04/07/2019 Palace Theatre, Columbus
04/08/2019 Civic Center, Akron
04/09/2019 The Fillmore, Detroit
04/11/2019 Shea’s Performing Arts Center, Buffalo
04/12/2019 Oakdale Theatre, Wallingford
04/13/2019 Orpheum Theatre, Boston
04/15/2019 Place des Arts, Montreal
04/16/2019 Sony Centre For The Performing Arts, Toronto
04/18/2019 Beacon Theatre, New York
04/22/2019 DAR Constitution Hall, Washington

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1382 on: October 31, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
Cool. Basically all Floyd stuff?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: October 31, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »
Ohhh a Seattle show, and at the Paramount, which is a great venue (aside from it being downtown). Might have to go to this.

Uhhh what the hell is up with that website?

https://apnews.com/d3471b09542040f2ac035037074065ae

...don’t expect “Comfortably Numb” or “Another Brick in the Wall.”
Mason instead will be digging deep into the Pink Floyd archives to offer tunes not heard live in America for a long time, if ever. Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets will be jamming to pre-“Dark Side of the Moon” material.

Some of the songs they play live include “See Emily Play,” ″Arnold Layne,” The Nile Song,” ″Bike,” ″Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun” and “Obscured by Clouds.

“The world is absolutely stuffed with Pink Floyd tribute bands, let alone Roger and David. So I think it’s very important to say, ‘This is not version No. 297. This is something a bit weird and a bit different.’”

Well... maybe not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1384 on: October 31, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »
:obscuredbyclouds:

That's all I came to post.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1385 on: October 31, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
I've seen this show in Leipzig, it was very cool! But only if you're into the pre-Dark Side stuff. My dad is a fan of the more bombastic, well-known PF sound and less of the weird, experimental stuff. He liked it, but said it was nothing compared to David's and Roger's shows which we went to see together.

The coolest thing ever happened though. Hope you are able to see this post!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212528510624825&set=pb.1144895731.-2207520000.1541009254.&type=3&theater

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: October 31, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
I am a casual fan of that material at best, and that plus Nick on drums might not be enough of a draw for me to go. Though Guy Pratt is my favorite bass player ever. Never heard of the other chaps.

The coolest thing ever happened though. Hope you are able to see this post!

You must log in to continue.

So that rules out TAC and myself.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1387 on: October 31, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
Maybe it works now:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1388 on: October 31, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
Michael Caine looks good.  Love the "bomber" in the back too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: October 31, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
You must log in to continue.

So that rules out TAC and myself.

Hah!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:17:00 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1390 on: October 31, 2018, 01:11:44 PM »
I need to be at the LA show. I absolutely love the the older PF material!

Plus... Guy Pratt is awesome on so many levels.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1391 on: October 31, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »
I love Nicky like I love a benevolent uncle, but I can't help getting this mental image ...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: October 31, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »

I'd honestly be more likely to go if they only played Arnold Layne and then Guy did his comedy routine.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: October 31, 2018, 01:49:16 PM »

I'd honestly be more likely to go if they only played Arnold Layne and then Guy did his comedy routine.

YES!
And then a signing :lol

I've been told he is genuinely one of the nicest guys on the planet. My buddy met him at NAMM a few years ago. Guy was selling his book (My Bass and Other Animals) ,  and my buddy wanted to buy it but only had a $100 bill on him, and Guy didn't have change. Guy actually started going around the show floor looking for someone to who could break the bill just to give him change. 

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1394 on: October 31, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
This is a typical setlist from the Wiki page.  I don't know if there will be any changes for this tour.

"Interstellar Overdrive" (abridged)
"Astronomy Domine"
"Lucifer Sam"
"Fearless"
"Obscured by Clouds / When You're In"
"Arnold Layne"
"Vegetable Man" (added September 2018)
"Medley: If (excerpt)" / "Atom Heart Mother (excerpt)" / "If (reprise)" (added September 2018)
"The Nile Song"
"Green Is the Colour"
"Let There Be More Light"
"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
"See Emily Play"
"Bike"
"One of These Days"
Encore:

"A Saucerful of Secrets"
"Point Me at the Sky"

I'll go on record as saying I **LOVE** this setlist and I only wish I would have heard about this sooner.   Apparently the tickets for the Seattle show went on sale back in May, and I've never even heard about this project until just now.   Sucks that the only seats that are left will most likely be in the back of the balcony....if there are any left at all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: October 31, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »
I've been told he is genuinely one of the nicest guys on the planet. My buddy met him at NAMM a few years ago. Guy was selling his book (My Bass and Other Animals) ,  and my buddy wanted to buy it but only had a $100 bill on him, and Guy didn't have change. Guy actually started going around the show floor looking for someone to who could break the bill just to give him change. 

Fun story. He does seem like the most cheeky guy ever, which quite the contrast from the more staid musicians who have sought out his services (Gilmour, Brian Ferry, Robert Palmer).

Re: Seattle show. The Paramount's site says tix go on sale in a couple days, so we might be seeing different info. That setlist is better than I imagined it being without giving it much thought. There are still 4-5 songs on there if I heard them out of context I wouldn't identify them as PF songs.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: October 31, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
Remember... the dates aren't written out in Freedom Units. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1397 on: October 31, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »
Remember... the dates aren't written out in Freedom Units.

That was it.   That never ceases to mess with my head.  :facepalm: :loser:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: October 31, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »
Had no idea what a "Freedom Unit" was, was too embarrassed to ask. I get it now. And I feel ya JD. I would have made the same mistake but I went to the Paramount's own website.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1399 on: October 31, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
This is a typical setlist from the Wiki page.  I don't know if there will be any changes for this tour.

"Interstellar Overdrive" (abridged)
"Astronomy Domine"
"Lucifer Sam"
"Fearless"
"Obscured by Clouds / When You're In"
"Arnold Layne"
"Vegetable Man" (added September 2018)
"Medley: If (excerpt)" / "Atom Heart Mother (excerpt)" / "If (reprise)" (added September 2018)
"The Nile Song"
"Green Is the Colour"
"Let There Be More Light"
"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
"See Emily Play"
"Bike"
"One of These Days"
Encore:

"A Saucerful of Secrets"
"Point Me at the Sky"

If I recall correctly, this was pretty much the setlist from my concert. I was totally blown away when Nick's drums kicked in on Interstellar Overdrive.