Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 162661 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1295 on: September 29, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »
Almost done watching the Pompeii blu ray concert. Hooked up to my stereo system of course. The visual and audio quality is just...incredible. the mix is so clear and powerful. Great performances too. I highly recommend it.

Sorrow was a highlight...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1296 on: September 29, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
Almost done watching the Pompeii blu ray concert. Hooked up to my stereo system of course. The visual and audio quality is just...incredible. the mix is so clear and powerful. Great performances too. I highly recommend it.

Sorrow was a highlight...

Who's singing Rick's parts in Time? And Roger's parts on C-Numb?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1297 on: September 29, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
It's hard to imagine this topping the Royal Albert Hall concert from a decade ago, but Gilmour never disappoints.  I loved Rattle That Lock and will love seeing those songs performed live.  :hat

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: September 29, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
Just saw our local record store announce the Gilmour's new album arrival on Facebook. Gonna grab it tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #1299 on: September 29, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »
I have this album and waiting for the right time to listen to it all in one sitting. I absolutely adored his Live in Gdansk live album. I'm excited to hear tracks from his new album get the live treatment. It will feel bad missing Rick though. But, I'll always cherish being to listen to my favorite single musician.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1300 on: September 29, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
I have this album and waiting for the right time to listen to it all in one sitting. I absolutely adored his Live in Gdansk live album. I'm excited to hear tracks from his new album get the live treatment. It will feel bad missing Rick though. But, I'll always cherish being to listen to my favorite single musician.

Live In Gdansk is my all time favorite live album...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1301 on: September 29, 2017, 03:34:15 PM »

Hear, hear. The original Pompeii concert was so important for my musical development, and Rick was a massive part of that. I got choked up a bit watching the snippets of Gilmour's return there (awesome sunglasses by the way!), and I'm sure he did too, when he remembered that day 45 years before. I don't think there will ever again be events like that first Pompeii concert, those times seem to be over.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: September 29, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »
It's hard to imagine this topping the Royal Albert Hall concert from a decade ago, but Gilmour never disappoints.  I loved Rattle That Lock and will love seeing those songs performed live.  :hat

Fat Old Sun from Royal Albert Hall is probably one of the best live tracks from any PF or PF related release

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: September 29, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »
I had my doubts about this new touring band, No John Carin...

No Manzanera or whatever his name is either, though they were on the first legs of the tour and have both been with him for many years.

Fat Old Sun from Royal Albert Hall is probably one of the best live tracks from any PF or PF related release

I feel that way about Wots, uh the Deal?
It was recorded at the Pompeii Amphitheatre and was the first public performance at the venue since AD 79.

Holy crap that is an amazing fact.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1304 on: December 01, 2017, 05:32:51 AM »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1305 on: December 01, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »
The new Live at Pompeii is amazing! Especially part 2 when it gets dark, the light show and the torches light around the stadium are a one of a kind. I wish he would have chose better back-up singers for Big Gig in the Sky, that dude among the other two ladies is an awkward fit and doesn't do the band justice.
 Besides that, the show is flawless and David Gilmour sounds fantastic throughout! I could watch this concert over and over..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: December 01, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
I still have to watch it.

Some of captures I saw looked amazing.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1307 on: December 06, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »
The new Live at Pompeii is amazing! Especially part 2 when it gets dark, the light show and the torches light around the stadium are a one of a kind. I wish he would have chose better back-up singers for Big Gig in the Sky, that dude among the other two ladies is an awkward fit and doesn't do the band justice.
 Besides that, the show is flawless and David Gilmour sounds fantastic throughout! I could watch this concert over and over..

I watched this show at the theater. It started off with the short live at Pompeii documentary before playing the concert itself. The theatrical version omitted most of Gilmour's solo songs, and it features mostly PF songs.

Also, my thoughts exactly on the backup singers... other than that, I am mostly happy with what I saw at the theater.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: December 06, 2017, 10:11:12 AM »
Anybody heard Doom Side of the Moon? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMoO8FNbRJA

I think it works surprisingly well...

That's pretty cool! Wish I could have it on mp3.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1309 on: December 09, 2017, 08:20:47 AM »
Watched the new Pompeii Blu-ray at a buddy's last night.  Pretty awesome, for sure.  I didn't care a lot about seeing another live version of some of those Floyd classics; I was more interested in seeing the songs from his last two solo albums.  Man alive, that solo in The Blue is beyond amazing.   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: December 09, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
Anybody heard Doom Side of the Moon? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMoO8FNbRJA

Not something I'd ever listen to, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Re: Pompeii... David sure knows how to put on a show. A little strange seeing him without Jon Carin but glad Guy Pratt is part of this. Comfortably Numb will never get old to me.

Hot take: I never liked Great Gig in the Sky. I played the shit out of DSotM when I first got it, and that was the only song I ever skipped. The keys are beautiful. I do not like the singing/wailing at all.

Edit, I never cared for Us and Them either, and if eventualyl became a skipped track as well. I recognize it's quality and importance to the whole of the album. I just don't like it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:56:14 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1311 on: December 10, 2017, 12:54:30 AM »

Not something I'd ever listen to, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Re: Pompeii... David sure knows how to put on a show. A little strange seeing him without Jon Carin but glad Guy Pratt is part of this. Comfortably Numb will never get old to me.

Hot take: I never liked Great Gig in the Sky. I played the shit out of DSotM when I first got it, and that was the only song I ever skipped. The keys are beautiful. I do not like the singing/wailing at all.

Edit, I never cared for Us and Them either, and if eventualyl became a skipped track as well. I recognize it's quality and importance to the whole of the album. I just don't like it.

It’s like you’re speaking Chinese to me right now  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1312 on: December 10, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Haha, that was my thought as well.  The Great Gig in the Sky is a gorgeous work of art, and Us and Them is probably one of my 3-4 songs by The Floyd.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
I know I am a bit on an island with those opinions. It's cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1314 on: December 10, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
I know I am a bit on an island with those opinions. It's cool.

I see what you did there. :P

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: December 10, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »
Can't sneak anything by you.

I always considered PF one of my favorite 2 bands. But when I stop to think about it, there is not a very high percentage of their material that I truly love, especially when compare to my other favorite bands.

Who's y our avatar? I can't tell.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1316 on: December 10, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
Neal Morse (from Morsefest this year).

I know what you mean, regarding Floyd.  15 studio albums and I would say I only truly love 5 of them (Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall and The Division Bell), and from the first 7 studio albums combined, there are probably only 7-8 songs I would say are Floyd songs I cannot live without.  All of of my other top tier favorite bands have much higher levels of consistent greatness.  But what works in Floyd's favor is how good those great albums. Their best three albums (Dark Side, WYWH and The Wall) would likely all make my all-time top 10.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1317 on: December 10, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
Then there's Momentary Lapse of Reason. It's kind of hit and miss, Learning To FLy and On The Turning Away being the strongest tracks on there. By far!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: December 10, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
AMLoR has some great writing. I think the production and sound is horrible though. Luckily we have DSoT to showcase how good those songs are.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1319 on: December 10, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
I can't put A Momentary Lapse... in the great category, but I like it a lot.

Sorrow is the one song where the production lets it down.  The live versions are so good that I literally never listen to the studio one.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1320 on: December 10, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
Oh yeah!  Sorrow is epic on the new Live at Pompeii blu-ray, and on Pulse.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1321 on: March 22, 2018, 08:21:15 AM »
Pink Floyd will continue with their rereleases on Vinyl with PULSE!

Continuing the Pink Floyd Records vinyl releases is the long-awaited 4LP 'PULSE' set. Originally released in 1995, it has long been unavailable, and (like the original cassette) includes One Of These Days, which wasn't included on the CD version. This re-release of 'PULSE' arrives on 18th May 2018, on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl. The 4LP set includes four different inner sleeves, each inside individual outer sleeves, plus a 52-page hardback photo book, all encased in a thick card slipcase. This 2018 release was remastered from the original tapes by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman. https://lnk.to/PulseVinyl

I gotta say, this looks awesome, and I love Pink Floyd, but 120 bucks is just too much. I refused to buy Gilmours Pompeij because of the 60 Euros it costs. But 120?? That's 30 Euros per LP.

I wonder why this is so ridiculously expensive. The studio albums have all had a reasonable price (except for Endless River).

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1322 on: March 22, 2018, 09:02:11 AM »
I have to think it's because it's such a specialty product.  Vinyl is retro, hip, and cool all at the same time, so people will pay more.  It's Pink Floyd, so people will pay more.  It comes with amazing super-deluxe packaging, so people will pay more.  Then when it arrives from Amazon, one corner will be bashed in just a little bit, and you'll wrestle with yourself over whether or not it's worth it to deal with getting it replaced.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:14:22 AM by Orbert »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: March 22, 2018, 09:03:20 AM »
That's a LOT of coin. Too much. Gotta pass.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1324 on: March 22, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
I hoped the Pompeii vinyl price would go down after a couple of months, but it didn't, not even on Discogs.
I hope it's not the same with this box set. I would love to own this more than Live At Pompeii.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:48 AM »
I hoped the Pompeii vinyl price would go down after a couple of months, but it didn't, not even on Discogs.
I hope it's not the same with this box set. I would love to own this more than Live At Pompeii.

The Floyd has gotten out of hand, and has for some time, in regard to prices on vinyl. Hell, new vinyl is ridiculous in terms of cost. I get the business of it all, but it just...honestly, I don't collect new vinyl because of the cost.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: March 22, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
Pink Floyd will continue with their rereleases on Vinyl with PULSE!

Continuing the Pink Floyd Records vinyl releases is the long-awaited 4LP 'PULSE' set. Originally released in 1995, it has long been unavailable, and (like the original cassette) includes One Of These Days, which wasn't included on the CD version. This re-release of 'PULSE' arrives on 18th May 2018, on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl. The 4LP set includes four different inner sleeves, each inside individual outer sleeves, plus a 52-page hardback photo book, all encased in a thick card slipcase. This 2018 release was remastered from the original tapes by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman. https://lnk.to/PulseVinyl

I gotta say, this looks awesome, and I love Pink Floyd, but 120 bucks is just too much. I refused to buy Gilmours Pompeij because of the 60 Euros it costs. But 120?? That's 30 Euros per LP.

I wonder why this is so ridiculously expensive. The studio albums have all had a reasonable price (except for Endless River).

That's a lot but I'm going to pick it up. Now that I've gotten a record player I love listening to vinyl's and PF is one of my favorite bands so I'm going to scoop this up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1327 on: March 23, 2018, 07:56:14 AM »

The Floyd has gotten out of hand, and has for some time, in regard to prices on vinyl. Hell, new vinyl is ridiculous in terms of cost. I get the business of it all, but it just...honestly, I don't collect new vinyl because of the cost.

For whatever reason, Floyd is ALWAYS expensive. vinyl, CD, Blu-ray, whatever.   Almost all their "luxury" sets are steep, but people keep buying them (and they keep releasing them). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1328 on: March 23, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
And yet they won't give us a Blu-ray or DVD of Delicate Sound of Thunder.  Bastards.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: March 23, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »
It'll probably take forever. Look how long it took to get the PULSE DVD released.