Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164298 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1190 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:42 AM »
 :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1191 on: April 30, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
After many years of promising to do so, I have finally ordered Amused To Death. Always loved the concept.  Just never been much of a Waters guy.

And Snowy White plays on two fantastic Thin Lizzy albums, Chinatown and Renegade. Renegade is a TAC Top 15 album of all time.

Isn't that like being a top 10 keyboard player in Circus magazine? ;)

Oh no, not at all. Thin Lizzy is my #6 all time band. Just out of the Top 5.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1192 on: April 30, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
Band? Isn't Thin Lizzy a person?

:jamaritard:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1193 on: April 30, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
 :lol

I'm so lost!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1194 on: April 30, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
Just figure out which one's Pink and you'll be as right as rain.  :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1195 on: April 30, 2017, 09:06:17 PM »

Yeah, but I've seen her, and she's really ugly.  She puts on a good stage show, though, and her guitarist is pretty good.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1196 on: April 30, 2017, 10:44:21 PM »

Yeah, but I've seen her, and she's really ugly.  She puts on a good stage show, though, and her guitarist is pretty good.

What's his name - Philler Knot?

Or

Fill her knot?  :zydar:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1197 on: May 01, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »
At the risk of being the butt of a joke that I don't understand ;D, my Amused To Death arrived today. I'm through the first few tracks. Man, pretty mellow stuff. Creepy, even. But it's cool. I do enjoy The Final Cut.

Didn't realize Jeff Beck is the guitarist on this, and Jeff Porcaro the drummer.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: May 01, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
Jeff Porcaro did the drums on Mother too I believe.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1199 on: May 02, 2017, 03:58:54 AM »
On the original The Wall album? Never knew that...

Don Henley (!!!) even sings background vocals on one of the songs on ATD!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1200 on: May 02, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
Toni Tennille (from "The Captain and Tennille") did backing vocals on "The Wall", as did Bruce Johnston (from the Beach Boys) and Lee Ritenour (famed studio guitarist) played on a couple tracks.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: May 09, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
New song from Roger. I like this one a lot more than Smell The Roses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3YlyE58LAk
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1202 on: May 09, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »
I skimmed through it a bit. About what I expected from Roger. I'm a selective Floyd fan. I'm pretty partial to Meddle-The Wall, and pretty much just a casual listener of anything else, including the solo records. The last production of The Wall from Roger was amazing, and it was the best concert I've ever attended just because of the sheer engagement and show. And I have tickets for this upcoming tour. Looking forward to it, but hoping for a set more predicated on Floyd classics (which is pretty much his MO anyway).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1203 on: May 16, 2017, 08:43:09 PM »
New song from Roger. I like this one a lot more than Smell The Roses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3YlyE58LAk

Not a bad song. Kinda of a catchy little number, although I sure hope that's not the best song on the record.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1204 on: May 27, 2017, 07:02:38 AM »
Looks like this is the set list Waters is doing on the tour that just started:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roger-waters/2017/sprint-center-kansas-city-mo-7be7c6a8.html

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1205 on: May 27, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
I will admit that I am disappointed in the lack of "Set the Controls.."
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1206 on: May 27, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
That's one extraordinary set list in terms of how much music it contains. However, I wish he included some of his other solo stuff. He basically ignored all three of his solo albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1207 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29:26 PM »
Yeah, I was disappointed to see nothing in there from Amused to Death.  I probably wasn't going to go anyway (he is in St Louis this coming Tuesday), but if he was playing the last two songs from ATD, that might've been enough to get me to go.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: May 28, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
I don't have a link at the moment, but I read an article talking about a bunch of people walking out during his first show. Apparently they were highly offended by Water's strong political messaging during his show.

Someone was even quoted saying something like "I came here for the music, not to have his political opinions shoved down my throat".

Do.. do these people not realize who the fuck they bought tickets to see? :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1209 on: May 28, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »
While reading your post I thought the same thing. They were probably likely people whom only heard Darkside or Another Brick In The Wall Pt.2
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1210 on: May 28, 2017, 10:47:48 AM »
The lyrics are one thing, but read this review:

https://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/back-to-rockville/article153041709.html

Sounds like he went overboard with the anti-Trump sentiment with his video screen projection stuff, which I can see being a turnoff for some.  I swear, it's like some artists forget that people go to a rock concert to have fun, not to get beaten over the head with some political message. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1211 on: May 29, 2017, 12:02:02 AM »
Roger's always been political, though, hasn't he? If I went to a Roger Waters show, I would expect to have some political messages being thrown at me. It's not like people wonder where all of it comes from and leave the shows shocked and surprised.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: May 29, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »
I think a difference here is that, while The Wall has political undertones, and many of them were updated for the recent Wall tour, they were fairly neutral in their message. This tour is more blatant and direct, Trump's imagery during Pigs, for example.

I agree with Kev that most people go to a rock concert to rock out and enjoy an escape for a couple hours. If I went to this show, I would know what I was going to get though, knowing what I know about the artist and this tour. I really wanted to go to this, but funds and other issues came up, but I am not overly disappointed. Dogs and Pigs would have been worth the price of admission, but there isn't anything else in the setlist, or the overall show, that makes me want to buy a ticket.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1213 on: May 29, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
I really don't get why people would leave even if they don't agree with Waters' political position or his"anti-Trumpism". Fine, you say you came for the music and to have fun. Why can't you simply ignore the political messages? The song is still there, the notes are played. Is their cognitive dissonance so strong that they can't even listen to a political message, think about it for a minute, question it without becoming enraged or dissapointed? I really don't understand how does a simple message can have such an effect on people that it causes them to leave...

You don't have to agree with Waters to enjoy his music. You don't have to be a Christian to enjoy Neal Morse. You don't have to be a satanist or anarchist or whatever to enjoy Black Metal and so on...

Furthermore, I think that in the whole history of music there has been and there will continue to be political, philosophical, anti-establishment stuff, etc. There are zillions of bland, futile love songs out there. Go listen to that instead if you don't want to listen to something that challenges the status quo or sings/questions the problems of the world. Regardless if you agree with the message or not, shouldn't we be glad that at least someone writes stuff like that?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:19:44 PM by ChuckSteak »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: May 29, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
I really don't get why people would leave even if they don't agree with Waters' political position or his"anti-Trumpism". Fine, you say you came for the music and to have fun. Why can't you simply ignore the political messages? The song is still there, the notes are played. Is their cognitive dissonance so strong that they can't even listen to a political message, think about it for a minute, question it without becoming enraged or dissapointed? I really don't understand how does a simple message can have such an effect on people that it causes them to leave...

You don't have to agree with Waters to enjoy his music. You don't have to be a Christian to enjoy Neal Morse. You don't have to be a satanist or anarchist or whatever to enjoy Black Metal and so on...

Furthermore, I think that in the whole history of music there has been and there will continue to be political, philosophical, anti-establishment stuff, etc. There are zillions of bland, futile love songs out there. Go listen to that instead if you don't want to listen to something that challenges the status quo or sings/questions the problems of the world. Regardless if you agree with the message or not, shouldn't we be glad that at least someone writes stuff like that?

This sums it up nicely.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1215 on: May 29, 2017, 09:01:56 PM »
I just watched the PULSE concert DVD last night. Out of all the Dream Theater, Rush, Yes, etc dvd's I own, PULSE is still the best one. That was filmed with standard definition cameras, and the sound is amazing!  R30 is a close runner up.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: May 29, 2017, 09:17:34 PM »
PULSE is pretty amazing (I still feel weird typing it that way). I wore out my VHS Delicate Sound of Thunder, so that holds a slightly higher place in my fandom than PULSE does. I also think the AMLoR songs are much better than on the album.

If you can find it, the 1989(?) concert in Venice, that I think was shown on broadcast TV, is a good watch too. It is basically the DSoT set if I recall.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1217 on: May 29, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
Cool, thanks for the heads up! I've never seen the whole DSOT. I've never heard of the Venice one.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: May 30, 2017, 04:54:56 AM »
PULSE is pretty amazing (I still feel weird typing it that way). I wore out my VHS Delicate Sound of Thunder, so that holds a slightly higher place in my fandom than PULSE does. I also think the AMLoR songs are much better than on the album.

If you can find it, the 1989(?) concert in Venice, that I think was shown on broadcast TV, is a good watch too. It is basically the DSoT set if I recall.

I'll have to see if I can find that show. I saw a few pictures of the stage setup for Venice and it looked incredible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: May 30, 2017, 07:11:10 AM »

I think, without knowing any of the people personally, that there is a healthy dose of irony and/or hypocrisy in leaving; how many of those fans will go to a U2 show or an REM show or a Bruce show and sit through THEIR political rantings?   The two most political statements I ever heard from a stage were Michael Stipe - five days after Bush was re-elected in 2004 - saying "this past Tuesday was the worst day of my fucking life" (he was booed, I hasten to add) and Bruce, at a stadium show in CT, making disparaging comments/jokes about Dick Cheney (that fell flat; he was booed as well, I'm also obligated to report).  In both cases, the artist made the comment BETWEEN songs, and in both cases, they artist seemingly mistakenly thought they were on safe ground and that the audience just HAD to agree with them.   I wasn't keen on the politics - I was there for the music, as I usually am for a concert - but I found more satisfaction in that than anything else (that the audience had a free thinking mind). 

I think at this point, in the age of the interwebs and YooToob, if you go to a Waters show and are surprised by the presence and inclination of the political message, you kind of deserve what you get. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1220 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:34 AM »
For an example of the non-liberal side of things: If I go to a Ted Nugent show I expect to hear crazy political ravings.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1221 on: May 30, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
For an example of the non-liberal side of things: If I go to a Ted Nugent show I expect to hear crazy political ravings.
And, you would be correct.  I remember seeing him open for KISS back in 2000 or 2002 (don't remember the exact year) and him calling for Janet Reno's death. 

Honestly, I can't really listen to Nugent anymore knowing just how big an a$$hole he is.

I feel there's a huge difference between Waters' lefty rants and Nugent's radical righty rants.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: May 30, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
And, you would be correct.  I remember seeing him open for KISS back in 2000 or 2002 (don't remember the exact year) and him calling for Janet Reno's death. 

Honestly, I can't really listen to Nugent anymore knowing just how big an a$$hole he is.

I feel there's a huge difference between Waters' lefty rants and Nugent's radical righty rants.

Other than "you disagree", what would those be?   Why do Mike Stipe, Bruce and Roger get "political message" (Kev, mladen, ChuckSteak all referred to the statements as "political messages") and once we "go right", it's all of a sudden "crazy political ravings" and "radical righty rants"?   

I didn't go back and read each one, but I don't recall anyone referring to Waters as an "a$$hole", even though some of his socialist views are incredibly extreme (particularly those regarding Israel). 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1223 on: May 30, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »

Other than "you disagree", what would those be?   Why do Mike Stipe, Bruce and Roger get "political message" (Kev, mladen, ChuckSteak all referred to the statements as "political messages") and once we "go right", it's all of a sudden "crazy political ravings" and "radical righty rants"?   

I didn't go back and read each one, but I don't recall anyone referring to Waters as an "a$$hole", even though some of his socialist views are incredibly extreme (particularly those regarding Israel).
Right wingers can certainly get "political messages", too.  However, for me, a lot of it is in the delivery.  And, often, Nugent comes from a place of hatred where he's wishing ill will on others.  There's enough negativity out there.  I don't need any more. 

Personally, I wish my entertainers would stick to entertaining.  Just because someone has a huge platform doesn't mean they have the capacity to use it correctly or intelligently.  That goes for Nugent, Springsteen, Bono, Tim Robbins or any other entertainer.  Stick to your craft.  You don't tell me who I should vote for.  I won't tell you how to sing or act.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1224 on: May 30, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »
Personally, I wish my entertainers would stick to entertaining.  Just because someone has a huge platform doesn't mean they have the capacity to use it correctly or intelligently.  That goes for Nugent, Springsteen, Bono, Tim Robbins or any other entertainer.  Stick to your craft.  You don't tell me who I should vote for.  I won't tell you how to sing or act.

You know, if any of them wants to attend a rally, tape a commercial, or even campaign for someone, I don't care. But if I pay money for a ticket to a performance and then it becomes part of the performance, that's where I draw the line.