Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164090 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1155 on: April 21, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
New Roger song released and no post about it yet? Cmon DTF u can do betta.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1156 on: April 21, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »
Not a bad song. Will take more listens to really get a feel for it. While not a rocker, it was more upbeat than I was expecting.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: April 21, 2017, 09:38:21 PM »
Cool riffs. I like it after a first listen. Usually don't digest lyrics of a song until a second or third listen, and couldn't hear them well via youtube anyway.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1158 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
It sounds like it could be a Floyd demo. I'm not saying it's bad; that's just the first feeling I get hearing it.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1159 on: April 22, 2017, 03:34:12 AM »
Hmm, I thought the new Roger Waters song was really boring. It may get better on more listens, but it just didn't do anything for me. There's nothing new to the sound and structure.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1160 on: April 24, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »
It sounds like it could be a Floyd demo. I'm not saying it's bad; that's just the first feeling I get hearing it.

Sorry, I'll say it:  ALL of Waters solo stuff sounds like it could be a Floyd demo.   MAYBE Radio K.A.O.S., but I don't think I've ever had such a disconnect between a band's output and the solo output of a key member, if that makes sense.   I have every Floyd album, all the "Immersion" box sets, and am seriously contemplating dropping $450 for the Early Years box set, but I don't own one Roger Waters studio record (I have a burned CD of the aforementioned Radio K.A.O.S.).    Such a talented guy, clearly, but in my opinion his ideas need to be bounced off someone. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: April 24, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »
Stadler I completely agree with you.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1162 on: April 25, 2017, 06:06:30 AM »
Oh by the way, I got a GREAT deal on an Early Years boxset, because of the separate volumes being released. The record shop knocked over 150 euro off the price. So I'm a proud owner of that mahoosive boxset!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1163 on: April 25, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »
Animals is 40 years old this year. Unbelievable.

Currently spinning, track 2, Dogs. Still blows me away every single time even after 40 years.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: April 25, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
Wow, 40 years, huh? I clearly remember the first time I spun it on my Mom's console stereo, while sprawled out on the couch reading Rich Man Poor Man.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1165 on: April 25, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
Animals is still my favorite.  At this point, I'm thinking that's not ever going to change.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1166 on: April 25, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
Oh by the way, I got a GREAT deal on an Early Years boxset, because of the separate volumes being released. The record shop knocked over 150 euro off the price. So I'm a proud owner of that mahoosive boxset!

I see what you did there.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
I have to ask but what makes Animals so great? I've been a life long Pink Floyd fan and I've always though Animals was the worst of the 70's releases.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: April 25, 2017, 07:46:10 PM »
It was definitely the one that took me the longest to get in to and appreciate. I loved the other 3 of the big 4 from the first listen.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1169 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
I have to ask but what makes Animals so great? I've been a life long Pink Floyd fan and I've always though Animals was the worst of the 70's releases.

You like Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by Clouds more? 

Personally, while I love Animals, I just can't say it's as good as Dark Side, WYWH or The Wall.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:36 AM »

I see what you did there.

:lol
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1171 on: April 26, 2017, 01:57:24 AM »
Animals is my favorite album by Floyd, because I like the aggressive and raw feel, but it's also got the sonic experimentation and atmosphere building that they're known for. The lyrics are also some of Waters' finest and just as relevant today as they were 40 years ago; maybe even more (unfortunately :lol).

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #1172 on: April 26, 2017, 02:27:56 AM »
The last couple of months I've been expanding my Floyd collection with the Gilmour and Waters solo stuff. And so I'm extremely looking forward to the next album by Roger and I do hope it will be a continuation of Amused to Death, which IMO is almost on par with Dark Side and The Wall. The man is a poet when it comes to lyrics, so if that artistry is present on the new cd I will already be satisfied enough even if the melodies don't immediately grab me.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1173 on: April 26, 2017, 03:27:24 AM »

Sorry, I'll say it:  ALL of Waters solo stuff sounds like it could be a Floyd demo.   MAYBE Radio K.A.O.S., but I don't think I've ever had such a disconnect between a band's output and the solo output of a key member, if that makes sense.   I have every Floyd album, all the "Immersion" box sets, and am seriously contemplating dropping $450 for the Early Years box set, but I don't own one Roger Waters studio record (I have a burned CD of the aforementioned Radio K.A.O.S.).    Such a talented guy, clearly, but in my opinion his ideas need to be bounced off someone.

Like David Gilmour?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: April 26, 2017, 05:10:09 AM »

You like Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by Clouds more? 

Personally, while I love Animals, I just can't say it's as good as Dark Side, WYWH or The Wall.

I do like AHM and Obscured more.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1175 on: April 26, 2017, 07:33:31 AM »
I like Animals because of the songs.  I've always liked longer songs, not because I'm impressed by long songs, but because it allows time to explore different ideas within the same tune, maybe do some theme and variations, and of course give the instrumentalists a chance to stretch out.  It's like the difference between writing a sentence about something and writing an essay about it.

A fully-formed three-minute pop song can be a masterpiece.  Present the idea, wrap it up, move on.  I'm just more impressed and more drawn to songs which fully explore the idea, present different sides, come back to the original idea, take it in another direction, etc.  70's Pink Floyd was all about creating the atmosphere and reveling in it, and I love the atmosphere of Animals.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: April 26, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »
I can respect that. I think with animals the songs got too long and felt too wordy for my liking.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »
I like Animals because of the songs.  I've always liked longer songs, not because I'm impressed by long songs, but because it allows time to explore different ideas within the same tune, maybe do some theme and variations, and of course give the instrumentalists a chance to stretch out.  It's like the difference between writing a sentence about something and writing an essay about it.

A fully-formed three-minute pop song can be a masterpiece.  Present the idea, wrap it up, move on.  I'm just more impressed and more drawn to songs which fully explore the idea, present different sides, come back to the original idea, take it in another direction, etc.  70's Pink Floyd was all about creating the atmosphere and reveling in it, and I love the atmosphere of Animals.

In my view there are a handful of bands that are "album bands".  I don't mean bands that have great albums - there are a ton of those - but a band whose full measure cannot be taken in anything less than album-length doses.   Floyd is like that for me.   Pigs on the Wing doesn't make sense without Pigs (and I don't just mean lyrically).   Pigs doesn't make sense without Dogs.   Dogs doesn't make sense without Sheep.   Again, I don't mean just lyrically (that would mean every concept album would be like this, and it's not true.  Misplaced Childhood; Dark Side; Tommy) but even the ebb and flow of the music. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1178 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »

I've probably suggested this before, but check out the In the Flesh DVD. He plays a good amount of his solo stuff, including half of Amused to Death, and in a live format with a talented band it comes off wonderfully. I suspect his band provides a fair amount of "bouncing" with the live interpretations.

Setting aside the introduction to some of his solo stuff, it's one of the very best concert DVDs I own. Great setlist and probably the best band he's had. The Doyle Bramhall Jr/Snowy White combination is exceptional. Oh, and you get a great rendition of Dogs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: April 26, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
I only listen to Amused To Death every year or so. It nearly gets me depressed. I've got the new mix, audio blu ray and everything, and the record sounds wonderful. I've never attempted to make a favourite albums list, but this one will certainly deserve a place in that.
KAOS is boring, Pro's and Cons really fun, and Ca Ira is still on my 'need to listen to properly' list, with obvious reasons. In The Flesh is a cool concert, I even enjoy The Wall in Berlin.
So yeah I'm looking forward to the new album, but objectively I've only really liked 2 of his solo albums. On the other hand, that's two of his three rock solo albums.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: April 26, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
Setting aside the introduction to some of his solo stuff, it's one of the very best concert DVDs I own. Great setlist and probably the best band he's had. The Doyle Bramhall Jr/Snowy White combination is exceptional. Oh, and you get a great rendition of Dogs.

I feel exactly the same. I've never been a huge Snowy White fan, but he and that other guy do perfectly fine in their roles here. Andy Fairweather-Low aces the bass and guitar parts he takes on (was a little disappointed he didn't take part in The Wall tour). Jon Carin does keyboards for him and Gilmour, so he knows his stuff. And the setlist is as good as it can be, balancing PF and solo material.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1181 on: April 26, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »

I feel exactly the same. I've never been a huge Snowy White fan, but he and that other guy do perfectly fine in their roles here. Andy Fairweather-Low aces the bass and guitar parts he takes on (was a little disappointed he didn't take part in The Wall tour). Jon Carin does keyboards for him and Gilmour, so he knows his stuff. And the setlist is as good as it can be, balancing PF and solo material.
I'm actually a big Snowy White fan, but a lot of that is because he works so well with others. Part of what worked so well on that tour was Bramhall playing strat to Snowy's Les Paul. Really drives home the harmonies in Dogs, for example. They just sound great together. And I agree completely about AF-L. Guy was an asset while GE Smith just seems to be an extra pair of hands.

I read an interview with Carin a while back and he's a sharp guy who's managed to find a pretty nifty niche to fit into. I'd love to ask him which got him off harder, playing Dogs every night with Waters or Echos with Gilmour? Since they're such starkly different live bands it'd be interesting to hear his take. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: April 26, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »
I am friends with someone who used to work Special Services at British Airways - basically taking care of the VIPs. She met lots of rock stars along the way, including Carin. Said he was a great guy. She also said those guys make peanuts (relatively) for their work with David/Roger, but are you really going to say no when one of them asks you to play with them?

Birdwalking a bit, my favorite PF live band guy is, coincidentally, Guy Pratt. Aside from being awesome on the bass, he has a singular wit. So much so, he wrote a book and toured the comedy stage based on his musical work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCR6R4Hpb-0

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1183 on: April 26, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »
Yeah, my cousin hung out with Jon Carin while he was playing with The Who and had nothing but kind things to say about him. Pretty gracious guy, apparently.

And "relatively" would be the key word there. He had a career before doing the PF gigs and now he's almost certainly making enough to live comfortably, while enjoying a fantastic gig as the heir apparent to Rick Wright.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1184 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »

I've probably suggested this before, but check out the In the Flesh DVD. He plays a good amount of his solo stuff, including half of Amused to Death, and in a live format with a talented band it comes off wonderfully. I suspect his band provides a fair amount of "bouncing" with the live interpretations.

Great DVD. Someone recommended it to me back when it came out and I was even more impressed than I was told I would be.

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #1185 on: April 28, 2017, 01:51:33 AM »
Just got In the Flesh concert on dvd a couple of weeks ago. I already knew Amused to Death which has grown to the point I now love it almost completely. But the 4 songs on In the Flesh sound absolutely gobsmacking compared to the originals. I mean there's the added power of the 3 strong female vocalists which adds so much to these songs which have such incredible lyrics to begin with.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1186 on: April 28, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »
Just got In the Flesh concert on dvd a couple of weeks ago. I already knew Amused to Death which has grown to the point I now love it almost completely. But the 4 songs on In the Flesh sound absolutely gobsmacking compared to the originals. I mean there's the added power of the 3 strong female vocalists which adds so much to these songs which have such incredible lyrics to begin with.

Agreed. The live versions of It's a Miracle and Amused to Death obliterate the studio versions.  Jon Carin's keyboard work live in It's a Miracle is reminiscent of the Wish You Were Here record and takes that song to many new levels.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: April 29, 2017, 08:24:40 AM »
I'm traveling this weekend but the first thing I'm doing when I get back is checking that out.   Other than the Waters solo stuff, it sounds AWESOME.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1188 on: April 29, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
After many years of promising to do so, I have finally ordered Amused To Death. Always loved the concept.  Just never been much of a Waters guy.

And Snowy White plays on two fantastic Thin Lizzy albums, Chinatown and Renegade. Renegade is a TAC Top 15 album of all time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1189 on: April 30, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »
After many years of promising to do so, I have finally ordered Amused To Death. Always loved the concept.  Just never been much of a Waters guy.

And Snowy White plays on two fantastic Thin Lizzy albums, Chinatown and Renegade. Renegade is a TAC Top 15 album of all time.

Isn't that like being a top 10 keyboard player in Circus magazine? ;)