Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164497 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1120 on: September 14, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »
^^^Same here

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1121 on: September 15, 2016, 12:52:38 AM »
Animals is incredible. I think it's my favorite PF album.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1122 on: September 15, 2016, 05:07:25 AM »
^^^Same here

there's nothing above you though...  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1123 on: September 15, 2016, 08:41:06 AM »
I'd say get Animals and The Wall and just stop.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: September 15, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
^^ Yeah. The Echoes compilation basically covers the essentials of The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse and The Division Bell, though I'd personally recommend hearing "Signs of Life," "Terminal Frost" and "Cluster One" at least once as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1125 on: September 15, 2016, 10:22:46 AM »
I'd say get Animals and The Wall and just stop.
This.

It's important to note that that recommendation was for someone who already has

The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Delicate Sound of Thunder
The Division Bell
Pulse

I mean, I like Meddle, apparently more than most people (I like the whole album, not just the first and last tracks), and there are a few gems on other albums, but really, Pink Floyd didn't make that many, and Bosk already has most of the good ones.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1126 on: September 15, 2016, 10:32:09 AM »
Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1127 on: September 15, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »
I need to get Animals and The Wall eventually, but somehow have just never pulled the trigger.  I don't really have a strong desire to get any of their other albums.  Am I completely missing out?

You are missing out big time if you haven't listened to The Piper at The Gates of Dawn yet, it's mindblowing.

Animals and The Wall are both great too  :tup
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1128 on: September 16, 2016, 08:21:56 PM »
I'VE GOT A BIKE YOU CAN RIDE IT IF YOU'D LIKE IT'S GOT A BASKET A BELL THAT RINGS AND THINGS TO MAKE IT LOOK GOOD I'D GIVE IT TO YOU IF I COULD BUT I BORROWED IT
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1129 on: September 16, 2016, 11:37:44 PM »
I'VE GOT A BIKE YOU CAN RIDE IT IF YOU'D LIKE IT'S GOT A BASKET A BELL THAT RINGS AND THINGS TO MAKE IT LOOK GOOD I'D GIVE IT TO YOU IF I COULD BUT I BORROWED IT

YOU'RE THE KIND OF GIRL THAT FITS IN WITH MY WORLD I'LL GIVE YOU ANYTHING, EVERYTHING IF YOU WANT THINGS
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1130 on: September 17, 2016, 12:17:17 AM »
:heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1131 on: September 17, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »
I know a mouse
And he hasn't got a house
I don't know why
I call him Gerald

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1132 on: September 18, 2016, 03:12:43 AM »
Syd would write lines that sounded so classic and you'd wonder how come nobody came up with them before. The fantastic example is the gingerbread man line: "Take a couple if you wish, they're on a dish." Tremendous.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: September 18, 2016, 06:40:15 AM »

The worst PF song, it does get a lot better towards the end though.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1134 on: September 18, 2016, 08:57:07 AM »
I absolutely love that song totally unironically.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1135 on: September 18, 2016, 10:15:26 AM »
^^ Yeah. The Echoes compilation basically covers the essentials of The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse and The Division Bell, though I'd personally recommend hearing "Signs of Life," "Terminal Frost" and "Cluster One" at least once as well.

Totally disagree about The Division Bell. That record, IMO, is great from start to finish, every single track being a winner.  I think it is THE go-to Floyd album after the Big 4.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1136 on: September 18, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »
The Division Bell is alright, but I never really go back to it. That being said High Hopes is (or I guess was now) possibly the greatest closing song to a band's career ever.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1137 on: September 18, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
The Division Bell is alright, but I never really go back to it. That being said High Hopes is (or I guess was now) possibly the greatest closing song to a band's career ever.

I still consider High Hopes to be Pink Floyd's closing song. The stuff on The Endless River as being a side-note imo.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1138 on: September 18, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »
Bike has always been one of my all time favorite PF songs.   I was really happy to see it on the Echoes collection.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1139 on: September 18, 2016, 08:17:13 PM »

I still consider High Hopes to be Pink Floyd's closing song. The stuff on The Endless River as being a side-note imo.

An epilogue...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: September 18, 2016, 08:17:16 PM »

That's where I always land on TDB. I wish I liked it more. The songs sound more alive on PULSE than the do on the album, but the same is true for the AMLoR/DSoT songs. Which is why I never listen to those two albums, since I have DSoT and PULSE. That said, High Hopes is my favorite PF song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1141 on: September 18, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »

That's where I always land on TDB. I wish I liked it more. The songs sound more alive on PULSE than the do on the album, but the same is true for the AMLoR/DSoT songs. Which is why I never listen to those two albums, since I have DSoT and PULSE. That said, High Hopes is my favorite PF song.

Same. That song is one of my absolute favorite songs ever. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1142 on: September 18, 2016, 08:22:35 PM »

Yeah, I think of it that way too.

Bike has always been one of my all time favorite PF songs.   I was really happy to see it on the Echoes collection.
Me too. Sure it's silly, but it's got a charm to it. It's a nice song.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1143 on: September 18, 2016, 09:25:54 PM »
Bike is great. Was my introduction to the Syd era.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #1144 on: September 19, 2016, 12:51:50 AM »
I seriously adore the entire The Division Bell album. It's maybe their most mainstream-sounding one but it's one wonderful tune after another.

I bought The Endless River when I was just discovering the band, right after the first two I bought (Dark Side and The Wall). I think it's fantastic as well. Yes, even Louder than Words.

I still can't grasp the fact that I'm talking about a songs of a band that have been around for decades, and having written many songs that only start to resonate with me at this point in time. Now I wish I was there when they were too.  ;)

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #1145 on: September 19, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Just watched the blu-ray concert film of Roger Waters The Wall... This was the third time... and the volume was pretty high, and my mind was blown, again. It was just like being there. What an amazing film, the audio is fantastic and I love the energy and visual awesomeness of the concert. The bits where Waters is seen driving around or talking to his friend or reminiscing about his dad don't bother me in the slightest... they're actually little breaks in the overall flow of The Wall's album presentation, and besides giving some personal journey material these breaks make the album longer than the 80 minutes we have. The added material not on the album is superbly integrated.

Totally recommended this comes! Probably the best Floyd concert (not by Floyd) and one amazing audiovisual experience. The film is IMO perfection. The only thing I miss in this blu-ray package is the second disc that seems to have been forgotten for my country (Belgium).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1146 on: September 19, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »
I found the CD of it at Hastings, got it since it was discounted pretty high 70% since that store was closing early.

It's great and I want to get the Blu-ray to actually watch.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #1147 on: September 20, 2016, 03:47:44 AM »
It's a completely different experience altogether. Not shot like a regular concert either. Edited from multiple concerts on the tour, and you Always get the best angles. Simply jaw-dropping. If you have a good sound system you're in for a treat. :)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1148 on: November 04, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0806zr5#play at 51:15, they play Vegetable Man, which is finally offically released on the large box set :azn: So much better then the horrible quality version on Dailymotion :lol I really like it, but I can understand why it didn't make it to Saucerful of Secrets.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1149 on: April 09, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »
bump.

Is This the Life We Really Want? out may 19th.

https://twitter.com/rogerwaters/status/850397132305641472

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: April 09, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of roger waters' solo releases but I'm excited to give this a spin.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: April 09, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
Curious. Probably won't buy but will definitely check it out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1152 on: April 09, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »
Waters has done, IMO, one great solo album in nearly 35 years since leaving Pink Floyd, so my expectations are not high at all, especially since I fear he will beat us over the head with the lyrical content about whatever subject he is pissed about these days.  :lol :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1153 on: April 09, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »
He has his moments but I feel like he has been beating the same horse since The Wall.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1154 on: April 10, 2017, 02:13:24 AM »
I'm very excited about this. It's just fantastic that we'll get to hear some more Roger Waters music for the first time in so many years.