Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164627 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1050 on: October 03, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »
Totally agree!  It is a gorgeous piece of music. :hefdaddy

Faces of Stone (by a long, long shot. This song is just  :hefdaddy )

Agreed.  It was tough leaving it off, but I am loving most of the songs on this a lot so far, and they couldn't all make my early top 3. 

I think I might end up liking this more than On as Island, and I love that album lots and lots.  :biggrin:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: October 06, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »
I know it's not a surprise coming from a big Gilmour fan, but I just can't stop listening to Rattle That Lock. I thought this album was great, but at this point it's simply amazing for me.

I thought it subtly became album of the year for me a few days ago. Save for The Gentle Storm (which rested on my #1 album of the year since March), no record have affected me this much this year. Over these nine years I began to think we won't see another Gilmour's solo album. I'm so happy David released it. I really love this record.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1052 on: October 06, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
Same here! I cannot stop listening to it, either!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: October 27, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
Official Faces of Stone video

Still my favourite track from the album, absolutely amazing.

Offline Paintbox

« Reply #1054 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
My favourites are
Faces of stone
In any tongue
Beauty
I've been waiting years for the album (and for the tour but I couldn't get the tickets  >:( ) but I didn't expect such a great work since he didn't release nothing for almost a decade, and the fact that it came out to be so great makes me think what else could have he done in all those years...

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1055 on: December 20, 2015, 03:20:56 AM »
Holy crap, I attended to Gilmour's gig last Friday, and it was awesome :hefdaddy

Quoting from David's own page:
Yesterday Clarin, one of Argentina’s national newspapers, declared of David’s first ever concert in Argentina, ‘La Visita que faltaba’, the visit that was needed. And the ‘visit’ duly took place for 70,000 excited fans at the Hipodromo de San Isidro, the local racecourse, 15 minutes from the centre of Buenos Aires. However, as David and the band discovered, the journey time became nearly two hours, thanks to a combination of thousands of cars heading to the concert and others leaving BA for the Christmas holidays. Traffic ground to a standstill and the hapless two police outriders were helpless in the face of overwhelming odds. It was a relief to finally arrive at the venue but the concert had to be delayed for half an hour to allow the fans to catch up. Once inside the venue it was apparent that Buenos Aires (good winds) was living up to its name with a wind swirling across the audience creating an uncharacteristic chilly December evening. Luckily the huge crowd, the biggest by far of the tour, seem to draw warmth from the music and in turn responded with enthusiasm and passionate singing. The crowd had waited many years to hear the voice and guitar of Pink Floyd and roared their approval to hear the classics; they also gave a warm reception to the new songs from ‘Rattle That Lock’. 

Here's what was played last night:

First set: 5 A.M., Rattle That Lock, Faces Of Stone, Wish You Were Here, A Boat Lies Waiting, The Blue, Money, Us And Them, In Any Tongue, High Hopes.
Second set: Astronomy Domine, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Fat Old Sun, Coming Back To Life, The Girl In The Yellow Dress, Today, Sorrow, Run Like Hell
Encore: Time / Breathe (reprise), Comfortably Numb.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1056 on: December 20, 2015, 03:46:39 AM »
Wow, so little love for the Piper at the Gates of Dawn  :o
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: December 20, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
Holy crap, I attended to Gilmour's gig last Friday, and it was awesome :hefdaddy

70000 people? That's amazing.

Seems like you really enjoyed it, glad you had the opportunity. :tup I hope to see him live one day, since he's basically my favourite musician in the world. I would've went to one of his European concerts this year if he announced the dates earlier. All his European dates turned out to be at the same days I've booked a flat in Rotterdam, and it was all settled when the dates went live. And, well, I wasn't ready to travel to two countries at a time. I can't exactly complain, as The Theater Equation show was mindblowing really, but I'm still disappointed I've missed my opportunity to see Gilmour live - which, given his current age, might be the last one for me, since I definitely won't be able to afford to travel in 2016 to see him in Royal Albert Hall, and who knows if there will be any more tours after that.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1058 on: December 20, 2015, 08:47:55 AM »
It was fucking insane with all that people! And not to talk about the traffic jam it created once it was finished :lol

I hope you get to see him live, Evermind  :smiley:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: December 21, 2015, 05:29:42 AM »
It was fucking insane with all that people! And not to talk about the traffic jam it created once it was finished :lol

I hope you get to see him live, Evermind  :smiley:

I was there too!!!! Fucking awesome show! But as you said, it took me more than 3 hours to get back home, that was brutal. But totally worth it, I wasn't expecting the it to be thaaaaaaaat good, the playlist rocked, the sound rocked, the band rocked. The stage and audio towers setting did not rock at all, too many visual impediments and given how many people there were it was pretty hard to see the stage. Still, I don't think I've ever gotten chills as the ones I got when they played comfortably numb, that solo is so powerful. Seeing Gilmour live was in my musical bucket list, I sure feels good to be able to cross that one out.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: February 02, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
New batch of Gilmour solo dates in Europe for this year:

Following yesterday's announcement of the Stuttgart concert in July, David Gilmour has announced a further 11 concerts in mainland Europe, visiting some of Europe's most historical and beautiful cities and venues, bringing the total to 13 including the Polish concert on 25 June. Tickets for these additional shows are on sale from 10am CET on Friday (5 February); sales are restricted to four per person. More information, including ticketing links, at his official site.

The additional dates are:
Monday 27 June – Austria – Vienna – Schloss Schonbrunn
Tuesday 28 June – Austria – Vienna – Schloss Schonbrunn
Sunday 10 July – Italy – Verona – Arena di Verona
Monday 11 July – Italy – Verona – Arena di Verona
Thursday 14 July – Germany – Stuttgart – Schlossplatz
Saturday 16 July – France – Paris – Chateau De Chantilly
Monday 18 July – Germany – Wiesbaden – Bowling Green
Wednesday 20 July – France – Nimes – Les Arenes de Nimes
Thursday 21 July – France – Nimes – Les Arenes de Nimes
Saturday 23 July – France – Besancon – Saline Royale d’Arc et Senans
Wednesday 27 July – Belgium – Tienen – Grote Markt
Thursday 28 July – Belgium – Tienen – Grote Markt

I don't think I'll be able to make it to any of these. I've got a few days vacation in July, but I've got other plans and they don't include travelling to anywhere in Europe this year. Besides, with current economic situation it's going to be quite an expensive trip.

Still, thought I should let you guys know. Sales are opening this Friday and the tickets are usually selling out very fast, so if you have a mind to go, better order as early as possible.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1061 on: February 02, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »
Sad to see I'm one of the only ones that picked ' The Final Cut '. I love that one.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1062 on: February 02, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »
It has 12 votes.  You're just the only one brave enough to admit liking it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1063 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »

I LOVE The Final Cut.  It's not Top 3, though, but it has more votes than one of mine (Atom Heart Mother).

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1064 on: February 02, 2016, 10:59:51 AM »
The Piper has only 10 votes while it is groundbreaking and all kinds of awesome   :laugh:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1065 on: February 02, 2016, 05:31:14 PM »
That's 10 votes too many. :P

As much as I love The Floyd, I will never get the love many have for that debut record.

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #1066 on: February 02, 2016, 05:51:40 PM »

I LOVE The Final Cut.  It's not Top 3, though, but it has more votes than one of mine (Atom Heart Mother).

Love Gilmour's solo during The Fletcher Memorial Home track!
Shame this album finished the "friendship" of Waters and Gilmour!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1067 on: February 03, 2016, 01:28:57 AM »
The Final cut is a fantastic album, it's just that it took me five years to realize it. Definitely their most underappreciated record. I also agree that Piper deserves more love, Syd was incredible.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1068 on: February 03, 2016, 09:05:01 AM »
Never really "got" Syd, to be honest.  I know it's a sad story and all that, and I love Piper for what it is, but it's hard to compare something like "See Emily Play" and "Shine On..."   I get it that there are all kinds of music, and I love pop (Night Ranger is one of my favorite bands ever) but I think I like The Floyd better when they are reaching for something.

The Final Cut is my go-to record when it's late at night, I want something sort of mellow, but not mindless, and I need to wind down.  I think I've fallen asleep to The Final Cut (in a good way, not because "it's boring!") more than all my other 1,700+/- CDs combined. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1069 on: February 03, 2016, 12:05:41 PM »
The Final Cut is an amazing album. My problem is it's been kind of tainted for me, seeing as I listened to it A LOT when I was really really depressed.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1070 on: February 03, 2016, 12:50:30 PM »
Yeah, I've had a similar issue with other albums that I used to listen to way to much when I was feeling down. Luckily, I've never overdosed on The Final cut. And it's a good thing I didn't, since it has to be the most depressive album I've ever heard. But the depressive aspect aside, I truly love how Waters brought the anti-war theme to the forefront on this album, since he only scratched the surface of that topic on The Wall. Such an intense theme.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: April 02, 2016, 11:06:08 AM »
Listening to P.U.L.S.E. at work right now. So good.

I'm on a 12 hour shift and I think it's going to be full of Pink Floyd and David Gilmour
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1072 on: April 02, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
Not a bad way to spend 12 hours.  :hat

Also, several friends are now going to Chicago next week to see Gilmour.  They tried like heck to talk me into going, but I resisted (finances + it would mean taking a vacation day on a Friday, and I am saving them for other things + I am all but retired from concerts).  Damn it. :censored

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: April 02, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »
I don't know what it would take to stop me from going to see Gilmour if he would have been playing in my country.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1074 on: April 03, 2016, 07:55:19 AM »
I would normally agree, but even if I was still a concert goer, the circumstances just didn't line up for me to go at the last minute (they decided this week to go, like 10 days before the concert).  Had I never seen him before, I might feel differently, but I did see Pink Floyd in '94. :coolio :hat

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: April 03, 2016, 09:29:09 AM »
I would normally agree, but even if I was still a concert goer, the circumstances just didn't line up for me to go at the last minute (they decided this week to go, like 10 days before the concert).  Had I never seen him before, I might feel differently, but I did see Pink Floyd in '94. :coolio :hat

Jelly

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: April 03, 2016, 08:17:50 PM »
I don't know what it would take to stop me from going to see Gilmour if he would have been playing in my country.

Money is what's stopping me, the tickets, airfare and hotel would easily mount up to a 1,000$.
Now if he were to play my city then maybe, but still very expensive.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: April 03, 2016, 11:18:33 PM »
You know.. you shouldn't let ONE overplayed song ruin the experience for you...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: April 04, 2016, 06:12:06 PM »
Another 12 hour shift ending. Filled the gaps of silence with Wish You Were Here, The Final Cut, and now A Momentary Lapse...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1079 on: April 04, 2016, 07:14:59 PM »
Money is what's stopping me

You know.. you shouldn't let ONE overplayed song ruin the experience for you...

I appreciate this.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: April 04, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
Haha I didn't make the connection between Jay's post and mine until Orbert did, I'm having a slow day :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: July 08, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
I've been in a huge Pink Floyd kick this past week (Well... Gilmour Era and The Wall).

I've probably listened to PULSE and Roger's The Wall from this tour a dozen times.

As I was driving home from work today, I was thinking about how great the backing players are. Mainly John Carin and Guy Pratt.

Then I thought "Hey... it would be cool to see them perform in a PF cover band or something.

Well... Apparently this is a thing

Guy, John, and Durga (one of the female back up singers for FLoyd and Gilmour playing Run Like Hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqmJEo4v04

And then John and Guy playing Learning To Fly. This one is really cool.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfERcN_CjcI

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:35:57 PM by JayOctavarium »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1082 on: July 09, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
Jon Carin is fantastic, in particular.  Probably the most unsung hero in Pink Floyd history, which you consider his contributions on two Floyd tours as well as various tours with both Gilmour and Waters as solo artists.  His keyboard and piano work on the live version of It's a Miracle, very reminiscent of Richard Wright, is dynamite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iSNEHI7pRU

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: July 09, 2016, 10:42:50 AM »
My friend worked for British Airways and met lots of musicians in their course of their travels. She said Jon Carin was very nice in person.

Guy Pratt is one of my favorite musicians of all time, if only for his humor. Not my bassists have a side career as a stand up comedian. And he has worked with a crazy number of other big talents, like Robert Palmer, Michael Jackson, and Madonna.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: July 09, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »
My friend worked for British Airways and met lots of musicians in their course of their travels. She said Jon Carin was very nice in person.

Guy Pratt is one of my favorite musicians of all time, if only for his humor. Not my bassists have a side career as a stand up comedian. And he has worked with a crazy number of other big talents, like Robert Palmer, Michael Jackson, and Madonna.

Have you read his book?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"