Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164101 times)

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
The video for The Wall makes my mind explode.  :hefdaddy

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
:tup

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
Thats excellent news!  :tup

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »
I would smile all over myself if he plays with Waters when I see him

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2010, 10:18:58 PM »
I just hope that whatever show this is gets recorded for history's and posterity's sake... oh, and the fan's too.

I also hope they whole thing sounds amazing. I guess doing one show means DG will probably working on the whole album between now and then to warm up for it. When was the last time he played the whole thing, or even a good chunk of it? Then again, if was only years ago, how much would he have remembered?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
HE WOULD REMEMBER IT WELL ENOUGH TO PLAY IT IN HARTFORD IN OCTOBER

/selfish ignorant rabid fan

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2010, 10:59:45 PM »
It's probably gonna be at MSG.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »
It's in LA, just checked Wikipedia, and The Wall was released on November 30th, which is one of the multiple nights in Los Angeles

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2010, 11:53:09 PM »
From Waters' Facebook page:

So here's what happened. Last year, 'The Hoping Foundation' a charity that supports Palestinian refugee kids, (www.hopingfoundation.org) put on a fund raiser at Ronnie Scott's Club in London, the idea of which was to raise money by auctioning karaoke performances by various celebrities. David was there as a supporter and was moved to perform an impromptu rendition of George Gershwin's 'Summertime?' which he performed aided and abetted by supermodel Kate Moss.

In the wake of that evening, someone, I think it was David himself, came up with this 'Wouldn't it be funny', idea. What if he (David that is) were to sing the old Teddy Bears song 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' with me (Roger that is), what with us having been so famously at each other's throats for years and years. Get it!!!! Anyway he E-mailed me with this suggestion and I loved it, so then it was just a question of juggling dates and deciding to do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Comfortably Numb' to round out our little set. Or so I thought, until he sent me a number of very musical and eloquent demos of how we could do the song in two-part harmony. I listened with a sinking heart, knowing that David, with his superior vocal skills, could sing either part standing on his head, whilst I would have to search for a different key and then struggle through hours and hours of routining a performance that lay way outside my vocal comfort zone. To my eternal shame I bottled out and told Dave I would happily do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'C. Numb', but that 'To Know him is to Love him' was beyond me.

Some weeks passed with David cajoling me from time to time, telling me how easy it would be, but I clung resolutely to my fear of failure until one day he made one final entreaty. I quote "If you do 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' for The Hoping Foundation Gig, I'll come and do 'C. Numb' on one of your Wall shows". Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather. How fucking cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer. I couldn't, there was no way. Generosity trumped fear. And so explaining that I would probably be shite, but if he didn't mind I didn't, I agreed and the rest is history. We did it, and it was fucking great. End of story. Or possibly beginning.

Roger

PS. Just heard from David, he will decide in due course which gig he wants to do, it will be a surprise!

Ah well... still, it'll be nice to see them together on stage twice within a year.

-Marc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2010, 01:44:46 AM »
Ah man, that's awesome.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2010, 08:33:26 AM »
It's so awesome these two buried the hatchet and are getting along

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »
Awesome.  Sounds like Gilmour was really pushing for it, and finally got it.

Also, interesting that what did it was Gilmour offering to play "Comfortably Numb".  I know Waters considers The Wall to be "his" project, but even Waters has to realize that having Gilmour show up and play "Comfortably Numb" would have fans smileing in their pants, so it's great that the fans' wants come ahead of his ego.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2010, 11:45:30 AM »
Whoa! Awesome! I always got the impression these guys didn't necessarily not get along at this point, they just didn't have any common interests to facilitate them working together.

Interesting hearing RW comment about his voice too. I'm sure he's under no misconceptions that his voice is stellar, but it makes me wonder how much he'll be singing during this upcoming tour. His voice may never have been the best, but his (and DG's) make up the voice of Floyd, and hearing the Wall without either of them prominently featured might be a questionable experience.

I'm under no delusion that DG will play Tacoma, WA, so someone better record that show!

Also, I forget DG is active in different causes. Nice to see stars being active in causes they believe in without a lot of fanfare (hi, Bono)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
I've read a few things Waters has said about not being the greatest bass player, and even pushing for Gilmour to play bass on some tracks because he (Waters) couldn't handle it.  But I never knew he felt the same way about his voice.

I've blasted Waters in the past for his raging ego and how it led to the end of "classic" Pink Floyd (the four-piece lineup everyone knows), but damn, if he knows he can't sing and his bass playing is passable at best, why the hell did he consider himself the leader of the band?  Because he wrote the lyrics?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
I've blasted Waters in the past for his raging ego and how it led to the end of "classic" Pink Floyd (the four-piece lineup everyone knows), but damn, if he knows he can't sing and his bass playing is passable at best, why the hell did he consider himself the leader of the band?  Because he wrote the lyrics?

Time is a funny thing.  Remember that it has been almost 30 years since the falling-out, so he likely has realized over time that maybe he didn't act in the best manner possible.  It definitely sounds like he has mellowed out quite a lot, which is in stark contrast to the egomaniacal dickhead he had become in the 80s. 

Ultimately, though, I am sure he thought he knew what was best for the band, from a creative and conceptual standpoint, which is why he considered himself the leader.  It is like Portnoy and DT right now: he doesn't write a lot of the music, but is likely largely responsible for the direction the band goes in.  Same thing with Waters back in the day, albeit in a slightly different way.  And I seriously doubt that Portnoy treats his fellow band members the way Waters treated the other Floyds.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »
Well, back in the day, Waters vocals were certainly nothing to snuff about. Sure, DG had the better "sounding" voice, but Roger was able to hit some notes ("Hey You", "In Every Stranger's Eyes" just for example), and I certainly will never dispute his bass playing. John Lennon himself was always very critical about his singing voice

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
Wait...someone said Tacoma, another said LA...why?!?!?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »

Because no one knows?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »
I would cry tears of joy if he played with Waters on November 8th in Philly. But to be frank, it would be more for Gilmour than Waters. I want to see Gilmour play and if he happens to do it with Waters that is a mega plus. I want Gilmour to tour goddammit!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »
I would cry tears of joy if he played with Waters on November 8th in Philly. But to be frank, it would be more for Gilmour than Waters. I want to see Gilmour play and if he happens to do it with Waters that is a mega plus. I want Gilmour to tour goddammit!!!

Gilmour tours all the time, nub.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
In the link posted it said David Gilmour would join Roger Waters for the show on the anniversary of The Wall, which is on November 30th in Los Angeles.

Does he play any Pink Floyd stuff?

And I saw Beyond The Wall perform last night, and the show was amazing. It was at an outdoor show in the center of Danbury, CT with the band under this half-dome and a lot of crazy lights, lasers, and video projections, and it was overcast and a bit breezy, and singing "Wish You Were Here" under those conditions was amazing. And the David Gilmour guy was spot-on, and the Roger Waters guy was almost perfect.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2010, 11:38:34 AM »
A bit unrelated... but I just saw The Machine performing a local gig, and they were absolutely amazing, everything about it was perfect and I have never seen a better cover band, and it was the best show I have ever seen.  That is all...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »

Does he play any Pink Floyd stuff?
No, he plays Armenian death folk metal, with Gaahl on guest voc-OF COURSE HE PLAYS PINK FLOYD SONGS WHEN HE TOURS.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »
No, he plays Armenian death folk metal, with Gaahl on guest voc-OF COURSE HE PLAYS PINK FLOYD SONGS WHEN HE TOURS.

The Pink Floyd part is bullshit, must've been some kind of joke...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »
A bit unrelated... but I just saw The Machine performing a local gig, and they were absolutely amazing, everything about it was perfect and I have never seen a better cover band, and it was the best show I have ever seen.  That is all...
My stepdad said that they're amazing as well.

The Pink Floyd part is bullshit, must've been some kind of joke...
Well he does have solo material, so I wasn't sure if he just plays that.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »
Gilmour's not an idiot, he knows only a fraction of people listen to his solo stuff and he fills those stadiums with Floyd fans.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »
The Machine was a bit of a disappointment compared to a local tribute band that used to play theaters in my area called Brain Damage. The Machine were alright, but the Gilmour of the band thought way too highly of himself and his singing and guitar playing came off as him trying way to hard and failing at both at times.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2010, 05:35:19 AM »
Learning to Fly is such an amazing song!!!  :hefdaddy
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »
Gilmour hasn't toured since 2006, just sayin'. Now, I have a question. How the hell is Waters going to hit some of the notes in The Wall? (Don't Leave Me Now)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
I would say he will have the female singers augmenting the lead vocal, and probably do most of the leads on stuff like that, but I almost remember seeing his touring band lineup and him not bringing the girls along this time.  If I am remembering correctly, I don't know how he will pull some of the harder stuff off, considering he doesn't have much of a voice left.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
Speaking of The Wall, I have been listening to it lately, and remembering just how good it is! And actually I'm going to sleep to it for the second night in a row. Great music!

Also been hitting up Wish You Were Here (including the near 26:00 long edit I made of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" taking the cross-fade mix from the Echoes edit and mixing the two album tracks around it - soooo seamless and epic in one go) and Animals. I also spun Meddle, Obscured By Clouds and The Division Bell lately, all very good albums in their own right. The only ones from latter Pink Floyd I haven't really gotten IN to have been The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, so maybe I'll give them go arounds in the coming week.

Gotta say, though, Pink Floyd is definitely a top 10 band for me! "We don't need no education..."...ahhh...

-Marc.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2010, 03:11:24 AM »
I used to find Shine On You Crazy Diamond incredibly boring, until I discovered psychedelic herbs :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2010, 03:52:18 AM »
I used to find Shine On You Crazy Diamond incredibly boring, until I discovered psychedelic herbs :lol

Really? I loved that song even before I started smoking. Actually, now that I think about it, that was probably my first exposure to progressive music.