Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164625 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
The Pink Floyd Thread
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:03:33 PM »
You haven't lived until you've smoked an herb then layed down on the beach by sunset listening to Pigs (Three Different Ones), I do that almost annually heh
Animals all in all is one of the best albums ever imo, my favorite Pink Floyd album.
You get 3 votes, mine are Animals, The Wall & Wish You Were Here.
Not a big Dark Side of The Moon fan.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:07:32 AM by metty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
Dark Side of the Moon is good. But I agree, Animals, Wish You Were Here and The Wall are their best. A lot of their other stuff is hit and miss for me though.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 04:13:10 PM »
Animals is their greatest album ever, no doubt. I also think The Final Cut gets a lot of shit just because its more Waters solo than anything...

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:19:32 PM »
I also think The Final Cut gets a lot of shit just because its more Waters solo than anything...

Waters has been the dominant song writer for most of Pink Floyd's "masterpeice" kinda albums so I don't think that's the main reason it gets lots of shit, I think it's more due to the general understanding that The Final Cut consists of leftover music from The Wall.
I'm not sure what I think about that cause I've never really gotten into The Final Cut.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »
I also think The Final Cut gets a lot of shit just because its more Waters solo than anything...

Waters has been the dominant song writer for most of Pink Floyd's "masterpeice" kinda albums so I don't think that's the main reason it gets lots of shit, I think it's more due to the general understanding that The Final Cut consists of leftover music from The Wall.
I'm not sure what I think about that cause I've never really gotten into The Final Cut.

If you're a fan of The Wall, then you'd probably be more likely to enjoy the music, since it came from the same writing sessions. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of The Wall (some parts are amazing, some are very subpar) but I think The Final Cut is great.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »
I agree about The Wall, but I think the amazing pats of it totally over-shadows the subpar ones.
I'll give The Final Cut a closer listen soon.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »
Final Cut is a very underrated album. I like it

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, and Meddle for me.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »
I've only listened to The Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here.

My favourites so far being TDSOTM and WYWH.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:01:49 PM »
I've only listened to The Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here.

Yeah. Honestly, I find The Wall terribly overrated. It's great, but not THAT great.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 07:09:35 PM »

Yeah. Honestly, I find The Wall terribly overrated. It's great, but not THAT great.

Yeah, so it seems to be for sure.

Offline thetoaster

• the most musical appliance
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:09:47 PM »
I chose the Dark Side of the Moon, The Final Cut, and Obscured by Clouds. The latter two are some of the most overlooked albums by any band. The Wall and Wish You were Here are highly over rated. I would rank the Division Bell over either of them.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »
I chose the Dark Side of the Moon, The Final Cut, and Obscured by Clouds. The latter two are some of the most overlooked albums by any band. The Wall and Wish You were Here are highly over rated. I would rank the Division Bell over either of them.
That's why you fail.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »
The Dark Side of The Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals

The Wall is good, but I think it has too many 'skippable' songs ("Vera", "Bring the Boys Back Home" etc.)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:49:35 AM »
I will say again what I have said for years: Animals could have been their best album, had "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" been as strong as "Dogs" and "Sheep," which are two of their best songs ever.  "Pigs" isn't a bad song at all; it is merely good. 

It sounds boring, I know, but their three best, to me, are Dark Side of the Moon (best album EVER), The Wall and Wish You Were HereAnimals and The Division Bell would round out my top 5.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »
Hard one, my favorite albums are Wish You Were Here, The Division Bell, A Momentary Lapse In Reason.

Animals never really did it for me, when I'm in the mood I'll put it on but more time than not I'll skip it for another PF song or album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
Animals is my favorite Pink Floyd album and one of my favorite albums of all time. Dark side of the moon and Wish you were here are my close choices, but I voted for Atom heart mother instead of WYWH, because it's a hugely underrated album. The Wall is solid, although not one of my favorites, since there are too many fillers, but some of the songs are fantastic.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Piper at the gates of dawn. Syd Barret was a genius...

Offline ehra

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »
I'm a poseur "fan" that's only heard WYWH, DSOTM, and The Wall. Of the three, WYWH beats out DSOTM by a bit. The Wall has some great moments, but overall I thought it was pretty eh.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »
I voted WYWH, DSOT and The Wall.

I like The Wall the best  :blush, but with DSOT not far behind. I have the DSOT cover as a 2 meter poster on my wall, so that kinda gives away that I love it alot.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals

For me, these are the most consistent, balanced albums.  Everyone knows that Waters started writing more and more of their stuff, but musically, in the studio, these were the last three to have all four of them actually contributing, and I think it shows. 

The Wall is amazing, but there are too many parts that I skip now.  There's good stuff after The Wall, but there's something missing from each release after The Wall, and I really think it was the balance.  Floyd to me really needs Gilmour's guitars, Wright's keyboards, and Waters' songwriting.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »
Animals, The Division Bell, Wish You Were Here, in that order.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Animals all in all is one of the best albums ever imo, my favorite Pink Floyd album.
You get 3 votes, mine are Animals, The Wall & Wish You Were Here.
Not a big Dark Side of The Moon fan.
Exactly the same here.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals

For me, these are the most consistent, balanced albums. 

this.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline nemesiskoen

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 09:00:58 AM »
Wish you were here
Animals
The Division Bell

Not a big fan of the wall, it's on now to give it another try, but Wish you were here is my favourite album of all time, and Animals is easily in my top 10.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 09:02:23 AM »
Meddle, DSOTM, and WYWH.  It was a tough decision between Meddle and The Wall though.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
Animals is my all-time number one, though I listen to the Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade version (Live Frogs Set 2) when I want to listen to this album...

WYWH and The Wall were my other picks...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
For someone who claims PF as one of their all-time favorite bands, I am woefully ignorant on their first few releases. I’ve given all of them a few listens, but everything pre-DSotM never appeal to me at all. There are a few exceptions – Saucerful of Secrets has some good tracks, and ‘Echoes’ is one of my favorite songs by anyone. But otherwise the material is weak, especially in light of how solid some band’s first albums can be.

I hate to say I am glad Syd tripped out because that would be crass, but if he hadn’t, PF would have just been another footnote in the late-60’s psychedelic music scene along with the Strawberry Alarm Clocks of the world.

Regarding the poll, I feel DSotM-WYWH-A-TW are the best 4-album stretch any band has ever crafted, and Floyd’s reputation is secure on those alone. I’d put Animals and The Wall, (since it was my first real PF album and holds special significance to me) at top, then WYWH, then DSotM.

I tried to get in to The Final Cut, but just never could.

I would really give A Momentary Lapse of Reason high marks if it didn’t sound so horrible to me. I think Delicate Sound of Thunder shows it does have some good songs though.

The Division Bell has my favorite Floyd song (‘High Hopes’) but is otherwise forgettable.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »
Yeah, PF is one of the few examples of bands whose first albums are total crap (at least compared to their latter efforts). Most bands (at least most of the ones I listen to) are the opposite.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 10:17:34 PM »
The live version of "Sorrow" from Delicate Sound of Thunder is approximately 204 times better than the studio version from A Momentary Lapse of Reason.  The way Gilmour slides his hand down the fret board during the intro is so badass.  And the live version revisits the intro at the end, unlike the studio version.

And this will stun some, but I also think the live versions of "One of These Days," from both Delicate Sound of Thunder and the Pulse DVD, destroy the studio original.  I have never been overly wild about the studio version.  The guitar tone is too heavy and distorted.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 04:47:25 AM »
Is that version of Sorrow different from the one on Pulse?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »
The live version of "Sorrow" from Delicate Sound of Thunder is approximately 204 times better than the studio version from A Momentary Lapse of Reason.  The way Gilmour slides his hand down the fret board during the intro is so badass.  And the live version revisits the intro at the end, unlike the studio version.

I completely concur with you. Sorrow is one of my favorite Floyd tracks and it takes on a whole new life on DSoT. Great version...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
masterthes, the arrangement is the same, but I don't think you don't hear his fingers scraping across the fret board in the intro or outro on the Pulse version, which is what I think makes the DSOT version stand out so much.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »
And this will stun some, but I also think the live versions of "One of These Days," from both Delicate Sound of Thunder and the Pulse DVD, destroy the studio original.  I have never been overly wild about the studio version.  The guitar tone is too heavy and distorted.

I guess I can understand that, but many of us grew up with the studio version; there was no live version for many years, and that "too heavy and distorted" sound is what totally made the sound.  Hell yes, it's heavy and distorted.  It's also the first time anyone ever thought to play a steel guitar like that, too.

And somehow I think we've had this conversation before.  I was just gonna ask if you heard the live version first, and suddenly remembered that you'd already answered Yes to that question.  Or maybe it was someone else who also prefers the live version and heard it first.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
I was just gonna ask if you heard the live version first, and suddenly remembered that you'd already answered Yes to that question.  Or maybe it was someone else who also prefers the live version and heard it first.

My first Floyd CD was DSoT (wonder how many PF fans that applies to!), so that skewed my preferences toward all the good MLoR material, along with ‘One of These Days’ and ‘Comfortably Numb’ and ‘Run Like Hell.’ (When I first heard ‘Run Like Hell’ on The Wall, I wondered were all the intro guitar sounds that I thought were so cool went!

I can’t think of another band where my major introduction to them was a live album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 07:29:21 PM »
Yeah, PF is one of the few examples of bands whose first albums are total crap (at least compared to their latter efforts). Most bands (at least most of the ones I listen to) are the opposite.

I agree as well, it's just not my style. I understand why it was big during the time, just like early beatles were big but like early beatles I can't get into early Floyd, there are some gems though.

Off topic, who is the name of the girl in your avatar?