Author Topic: The Nevermore Appreciation Thread  (Read 22906 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: The Nevermore Appreciation Thread
« Reply #385 on: December 13, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
Really sad. Big fan of the guy and Nevermore. R.I.P.  :(

Definitely listening to some Nevermore tonight.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #386 on: December 13, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »
Nevermore to feel the pain
The heart collector sang

Man, this is sad. Right in the middle of recording too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
« Reply #387 on: December 14, 2017, 10:52:57 PM »
So today I see Warrel was 56 and not 48 as was being reported initially. Either way, still too young.

I listened to Dead Heart, In A Dead World today. Such a stellar album. The track Insignificant really struck a chord and was quite apropos.
"It is I - Turkey Volume Guessing Man!" - Crow from MST3K
"Military Intelligence - Two Words Combined That Can't Make Sense." - Hangar 18

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2017, 02:07:36 AM »
I listened to Dead Heart in the car as well; long time since I listened to that album, or Nevermore for that matter. They were my go-to 'heavy' band when I was in high school. Although Jeff Loomis' guitar work was what sold them to me, Dane's vocals could occasionally lift the songs to higher level. I was never a real fan of his lyrics though..

RIP
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2017, 04:12:22 AM »
Listening to TGE in the car and this stuck out;

When I'm dead will you remember all the things I've tried to say?
This cancer inside of me destroying my life, when I rot in the ground will you care?
The sands of time are pointless in a useless ugly world
Nothing brings peace of mind, I leave nothing behind if my words are left unheard

:'(

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2017, 07:16:40 AM »
Warrel posted this same story a year or two ago on the Nevermore forum and then deleted his post, which essentially said the same thing.  Glenn had tried to book a Nevermore reunion for Progpower USA, and the only holdup wasn't Jeff Loomis himself, but Jeff's contract with Arch Enemy....ugh.  It's cool to see that Warrel was really trying to reconnect with the band and get a reunion to happen.

I love Angela, I think she's a great vocalist, did great things for Arch Enemy and is now managing and protecting their interests, but come on! 

https://www.facebook.com/sinanspd/posts/10155844164774590

I want to include a little confession here. I kept this secret for a long time but I doubt it can do him any harm. I want you to know that he indeed came really close to a Nevermore reunion, he had everyone on board and the only obstacle on the way was Angela Gossow. She knew that a Nevermore reunion meant Arch Enemy being left in the shadows and could possibly lead to them losing Jeff. Thus she specifically put this in Jeff's contract and kept it from happening.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #391 on: December 15, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »
Wow if that is true. Then a lot of Nevermore fans now despise Arch Enemy and Angela Gossow. I bet Jeff feels a bit hurt about it, and now who knows if he'll still be with Arch Enemy now.

Sad. But damn, we could've had a Nevermore reunion at ProgPower USA.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Online Grappler

« Reply #392 on: December 15, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
The guy that wrote that post indicated his anger towards Angela in his original text.  I didn't want to include it because I get that Angela is trying to protect Arch Enemy - it's her job and she does it really, really well, and it's not fair to go after her for it.  From an Arch Enemy perspective, she was very smart to put that in his contract.

I don't see him leaving, since this story is well over a year old, and he seems pretty happy doing what he's doing.  It depends on his contract with the band and whether or not he'd leave when it's up.

It just sucks that he was contractually prevented from participating in something cool, not only for Nevermore fans, but for the band themselves.  Who knows if it would have been just a one-off show or if it led to a full-time reformation and a new record?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
« Reply #393 on: December 15, 2017, 09:16:11 AM »
From what I have read it seems pointless to hold Jeff hostage. Amott said he doesn't take any of Jeff's idea's because his writing doesn't sound like Arch Enemy. Jeff has also confirmed that all he does is play solos and nothing more. He submits ideas and they have never been accepted or used. Seems like a stretch to hold onto a hired gun like that who you openly admit isn't worth more than a few solos.

With Jeff's talent, he should be somewhere he can write and be more productive. Maybe he is just using this as a break from being the main guy for awhile.

Of course, now his band is done. He has to start over.

Jeff did post that he was happy that he and Warrel had reconciled before the end.
"It is I - Turkey Volume Guessing Man!" - Crow from MST3K
"Military Intelligence - Two Words Combined That Can't Make Sense." - Hangar 18

Offline wolfking

« Reply #394 on: December 15, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
From what I have read it seems pointless to hold Jeff hostage. Amott said he doesn't take any of Jeff's idea's because his writing doesn't sound like Arch Enemy. Jeff has also confirmed that all he does is play solos and nothing more. He submits ideas and they have never been accepted or used. Seems like a stretch to hold onto a hired gun like that who you openly admit isn't worth more than a few solos.

With Jeff's talent, he should be somewhere he can write and be more productive. Maybe he is just using this as a break from being the main guy for awhile.

Of course, now his band is done. He has to start over.

Jeff did post that he was happy that he and Warrel had reconciled before the end.

I thought this too, he's a hired gun, that's it.  The way it's going, he's not offering anymore than any other guitarist with great leads chops could.  Doesn't matter now I guess.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #395 on: January 12, 2018, 04:59:08 AM »
So Sanctuary announced that they're going to go through with their US tour with Iced Earth as a farewell tour in honor of Warrel. I think that's a really great move on their part and will help let all of his fans from Sanctuary and Nevermore get one last chance to pay respects to him. :metal

And they're getting Joseph Michael of Witherfall to fill in for him on these shows!!! I really can't think of a finer choice for someone to step in for Warrel than him. Dude crushed it on Witherfall's debut album last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XHvI-c3wA4

Sadly I'm gonna miss these shows, since I live in Japan now, but I really can't wait to hear Joseph's take on the Refuge Denied era stuff. It'll be neat to hear how he handles the newer stuff too, but I have faith he'll do right by Warrel and the fans. :metal :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Grappler

« Reply #396 on: January 12, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
I'm glad that Sanctuary is staying on the tour, though the main draw for me was obviously going to be hearing Warrel sing for the first time.  I met him once before a show in 1999, but was too young to get in at the time.  Sadly, I won't get to hear him.

But they made a great choice in Joseph Michael.  Sanctuary could have plucked anyone that could sing high, but Joseph is a fan of Warrel's first and his voice has a similar tone to it.  I'm looking forward to finally hearing some of these songs live.  I'm expecting a 60 minute set, so hopefully we get 2-3 songs from The Year the Sun died as well (FROZEN! :metal)