Author Topic: Gojira  (Read 53514 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gojira
« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2017, 05:56:47 PM »
I saw these guys opening for Opeth in Nashville Tennessee.  The sound was perfect in War Memorial Auditorium and the crowd went bonkers when they played Flying Whales.  The bass player was insane!  I enjoyed Gojira more than Opeth.  Partly because the sound was better and Opeth played nothing from Blackwater Park and Still Life.

I'm still very upset I missed this tour due to illness. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: August 04, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #352 on: May 15, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
I’m wayyy late to the Gojira party.

I’ve heard about these guys for a long time but never bothered checking them out. A friend showed me Magma recently and I got immediately hooked. I ordered that one and From Mars To Sirius and I’ve been listening to both of them constantly. Been checking out their other stuff on YouTube, and I’m most likely gonna order The Way Of All Flesh and L’Enfant Sauvage by the end of the week. And I definitely plan on seeing them live next time they come to town. So cheers to these guys!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2018, 01:29:00 AM »
 :metal For me L’Enfant Sauvage is where it's at.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #354 on: May 16, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
There's a vid on YouTube of them playing "Territory" by Sepultura and the guy filming (or standing next to the guy filming) is losing his junk. He was so excited for them to play "Territory" that it seemed to make his year. It was cool to hear someone so happy at a concert.

BTW - they did an excellent job covering the song.

As far as their music, I want to like them but I can't really go "all in" on them for some reason. Someone help me out. If you had a top 5 songs to recommend, what would your picks be?

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #355 on: May 16, 2018, 11:07:46 AM »
As far as their music, I want to like them but I can't really go "all in" on them for some reason. Someone help me out. If you had a top 5 songs to recommend, what would your picks be?

Explosia
Satan Is A Lawyer (one of their weirdest songs, but also one of their best)
The Art Of Dying
Toxic Garbage Island
Backbone
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #356 on: May 16, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »
There's a vid on YouTube of them playing "Territory" by Sepultura and the guy filming (or standing next to the guy filming) is losing his junk. He was so excited for them to play "Territory" that it seemed to make his year. It was cool to hear someone so happy at a concert.

My recommendations really depend on what you particularly like or currently dislike about their sound, but as far as top 5 songs, I think:

1. The Art of Dying
2. Vacuity
3. Born In Winter
4. The Link
5. Pray

It's reaaaally hard though (except #1 duh, The Art of Dying is one of the best songs ever), I could easily extend this list to 15 and still love all songs almost equally. Born In Winter isn't very heavy but explores their darker and more depressing sound the best out of any of their songs in my opinion, Pray and Art of Dying have very interesting structures to me and both build up intensity very well, and The Link and Vacuity both just have some of my favourite riffs overall, The Link being more raw heaviness and Vacuity a bit more 'refined'.

As for albums, they will probably never top The Way of All Flesh for me, that's gotta be one of my favourite metal albums. From Mars to Sirius is good but has some inconsistency issues in my opinion, Magma is more consistent even though the highs aren't as high. L'Enfant Sauvage to me sounds like their safest album but it's still good, and The Link is super heavy and you hear that the band was still kind of finding their place in the metal world, but it is right up there with the albums that rank under The Way of All Flesh for me. Not very familiar with the debut, I seriously need to fix that.

P.S. Also check out the song they did with Devin Townsend :hefdaddy believe it's called Of Blood and Salt
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »

I guess it's this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ykfzT3bJg0

Really cool Sepultura cover however those Metallica nuggets tho!  :metal :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #358 on: May 24, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
Been spinning Flesh and L’Enfant over the past few days. Out of the ones I own, I think L’Enfant is my favorite so far. It feels the most cohesive, and the songwriting is fantastic.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2018, 01:41:22 PM »
They actually finally played it....Holy Hell.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #361 on: June 25, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
One of my favorites, if not favorite :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #362 on: June 26, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #363 on: June 26, 2018, 03:30:13 PM »

My recommendations really depend on what you particularly like or currently dislike about their sound, but as far as top 5 songs, I think:

Your top 5 is wrong :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: June 26, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »
P.S. Also check out the song they did with Devin Townsend :hefdaddy believe it's called Of Blood and Salt
Cool, had no idea about that collab. Thx for mentioning it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWDdDm-Vu8Y
 :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #365 on: June 26, 2018, 08:17:19 PM »
I still can't believe they finally decided to play GW live.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #366 on: June 26, 2018, 11:08:09 PM »
Your top 5 is wrong :biggrin:
It really isnt though
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #367 on: January 17, 2019, 01:45:53 AM »
Think its incredible that the band releases this wonderful live show for free... They seem to be on top of their game and just killing it live. Wish I had an opportunity to see them live soon. :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJtvWhkMFQ

"Recorded at the Pol'And'Rock Festival on August 2nd 2018 Mixed by Raphaël Bovey at MyRoom Studio Edited by Bryce Hall"

Intro
Only Pain
The Heaviest Matter Of The Universe
Love
Stranded
Flying Whales
The Cell
Backbone
Terra Incognita
Silvera
L'Enfant Sauvage
Mario Drum Solo
The Shooting Star
Explosia
Vacuity

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #368 on: January 17, 2019, 03:23:21 AM »
Excellent quality, both audio and video! I just wish they had included Toxic Garbage Island or The Art of Dying in the setlist...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2019, 07:21:15 AM »
I watched a bit last night, it's one of the best live concerts I've seen in awhile and it's totally free, which is amazing.  Amazing picture and audio, sick performance and a large wild crowd  :metal This should be sold on blu ray.  I'd buy it even with it being free on youtube still.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2019, 07:32:58 AM »
I wish they’d play The Gift of Guilt more on a regular basis. Probably my favorite song from them. But I still wanna check out the show!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »

There's just something about this band that whips a crowd into a fucking frenzy. Joe's vocals are a bit rough in spots throughout the show, but I can overlook it. They just kill it live.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #372 on: January 17, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »

There's just something about this band that whips a crowd into a fucking frenzy. Joe's vocals are a bit rough in spots throughout the show, but I can overlook it. They just kill it live.

They really do put on a great show.  I went to see Opeth and Gojira a couple of years ago and enjoyed Gojira much better.  The bass player was insane.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: January 17, 2019, 01:09:35 PM »

They really do put on a great show.  I went to see Opeth and Gojira a couple of years ago and enjoyed Gojira much better.  The bass player was insane.

with Devin Townsend opening?  I was so sick I couldn't go and had to sell my ticket last minute, I was so mad for having to miss that one.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #374 on: January 17, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »

I was gonna see that tour as well, but at the time I didn’t listen to Gojira, and I had just seen Opeth a few months prior and didn’t want to see the same set all over again. I regret not going now haha

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
We are very excited to announce that we’ll be touring North America this summer with our friends the Deftones. They are one of the coolest bands out there and we’ve been dreaming about touring with them for decades. Poppy will join the party as well!

Tickets on sale Friday, February 14th at 1:00 PM

Will definately buy a ticket.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »
Will probably go to this, even though I'm a bit bummed it's an arena tour. I like Deftones and I haven't seen them live yet, so this seems like a good excuse to change that.

Poppy supporting is very unexpected :lol I imagine a lot of people will be weirded the fuck out by her, but her new album was pretty good so I'm glad she'll be there too.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2020, 09:13:32 AM »
It's not an arena for me, outdoor GA venue near the beach.  Actually I HATE that venue, probably won't go to this as I've never been a Deftones fan.  But I'm planning on seeing Gojira in May opening for Volbeat so I'll get my fix there and maybe skip this one... and just checked this is the same night as the Foreigner, Kansas and Europe show about 30 minutes from the venue this show is at.  I'll be at the classic rock show, since I already have a ticket to that.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2020, 09:25:09 AM »
It's not an arena for me, outdoor GA venue near the beach.  Actually I HATE that venue, probably won't go to this as I've never been a Deftones fan.  But I'm planning on seeing Gojira in May opening for Volbeat so I'll get my fix there and maybe skip this one... and just checked this is the same night as the Foreigner, Kansas and Europe show about 30 minutes from the venue this show is at.  I'll be at the classic rock show, since I already have a ticket to that.

Same here, the venue they’re doing in Chicago is like a mini amphitheater on a peninsula on Lake Michigan. Kinda cool actually.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2020, 09:31:03 AM »
They're playing the Pavilion in Irving here. Presumably they'll take the seats out for this one. It's too bad they're opening for Deftones. I'd rather get a headline show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »
It looked like it might be a co-headlining tour?

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #381 on: February 13, 2020, 09:29:25 AM »
Got a floor ticket... for almost $100. Fucking christ. Not way in hell I would have paid that much if this wasn't Gojira.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #382 on: February 13, 2020, 11:44:59 AM »
Holy crap...the service fee is about the same price as the Lawn ticket. At least they have a Pit thats way cheaper than the reserved seating, basically you're paying to be able to sit down and have a cup holder.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »
Tickets for the show at the Greek theater in LA for the worst seats is $35.00 face value and when you add up the "fees," it comes out to $58.00......  Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Deftones or Gojira that I'm willing to pay that price for a worst seat ticket.  I'll wait to see if Groupon can list this show for tickets under $30.00 for the worst seats.  Then I'll go.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »
OOC to compare, the GA outdoor venue for me is $75 after fees unless you want to spend more for early entry.  Oof.  I haven't bought my ticket for Volbeat/Gojira in PA yet, but I know its $65 after fees for a floor GA ticket, even less if you want a seat in the small arena setting.  Makes me want to confirm that floor seat given the prices, that's a much better experience than my local venue and cheaper.  Oh, and I like Volbeat more than Deftones.  But I get it, Deftones are fairly popular in the US.