Author Topic: Gojira  (Read 53540 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Gojira
« Reply #315 on: June 13, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
III CAAAAN'T BEELIIIEEEVEE MY EEEEYEES, BUT IT'S TR0000!!!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: June 13, 2016, 09:19:16 AM »
Flying Whales is probably their best song. Art of Dying is really good too.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #317 on: June 13, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »
Time to do this I guess

1. The Art of Dying

2. Flying Whales
3. Ocean Planet
4. The Gift of Guilt
5. Born In Winter
6. Oroborus

Top 5 was a bit too hard, Oroborus and Born In Winter are really close. Honorable mentions to Toxic Garbage Island, TWOAF, Explosia and The Axe.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #318 on: June 13, 2016, 10:22:21 AM »
I might do it later. Does anyone else get eargasm on transition between drum stick solo and whole band kicking in in The Art of Dying? That part is :hefdaddy :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #319 on: June 13, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »
Gojira just posted another new track 'The Shooting Star' on their FB page.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2016, 01:04:52 PM »
Great song, again, this album will probably replace L'Enfant Sauvage as my favourite.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: June 13, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
I thought the new song was really boring. Didn't even finish it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #322 on: June 17, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »
After only one listen so far, I'd say Low Lands is the stand out track.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #323 on: June 21, 2016, 06:14:14 AM »
Got the first full listen in today, very impressed with the new record!

Too earlier to draw conclusions, but I think it's definitely better than L'Enfant Sauvage and the pre-FMTS records. Standout tracks for me were the two singles (Silvera and Stranded) and The Cell. The second half of the album is a little less 'catchy', so to speak, but I think it could definitely be a grower.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline faizoff

« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
The new album is awesome, can't stop listening to it on spotify. I like the mellow mood of it all, kinda laid back approach to the tracks.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2016, 04:20:12 AM »
Solid album. The songs of 'classic construction' are just as great as L'enfant and the new side is fine by me (though I think "Only Pain" should have just been squished into "Stranded;" no need for the octave pedal riff in more than one song). However, their trend for wasted time on interludes is continuing, which I'm not into... "Yellow Stone" would better serve in an actual song. At least it's not "Unicorn."

(Obviously, "From Mars" is exempt!)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2016, 06:05:08 AM »
I think Unicorn is pretty nice.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »
To be honest, the octave pedal riffs made me consider buying one. I hadn't heard a decent octave pedal riff since Pantera's 'Suicide Note Pt. II'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #328 on: June 27, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
I haven't listened to Gojira in... what, 3-4 years? But after I saw in this thread that a new album had come out, I gave it a listen today. Holy shit, it is good. I think it's time for me to rediscover this band.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2016, 07:18:21 AM »
Haven't got around to checking this new album yet as I've never been a huge, huge fan of Gojira. I find them a little overrated and find their albums to be really repetitive at times. I do like their heaviness but really have to be in the mood to listen to them and don't really have any songs that stand out as favourites that I'd listen to on their own. That being said I do actually like the band.

Anyway, I've heard mixed things about Magma. I know they've mixed it up a bit and cut back on the relentless heaviness on this record. I understand why some would feel let down if they were wanting trademark Gojira shit and were left feeling like the change wasn't a good one. As I mentioned, I get a bit bored with the constant heavy so I get the feeling I might like this new album more.

I've heard bits of tracks and it all sounds good. Do any of you guys have a similar opinion to me on Gojira? If so, did you prefer the new direction?

For the people who didn't like it so much, was it because of the lack of heavy or were the songs just not that good?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2016, 07:35:51 AM »
I was very negative about it in this thread after my first listen but it's growing on me and is now in my top 15-20 albums of the year so far. :tup

The reasons I didn't like it at first had nothing to do with heaviness. I guess I wasn't really into the Ghost-like tendencies (talking about the band Ghost) in the more mellow moments of the album. Usually I love their more melancholic side, Born In Winter is one of my favorite Gojira songs ever, but it's a whole different approach here.

I hear the repetitive complaint all the time and I could kind of see where they're coming from, but the overall uniqueness of the sound makes up for that I feel, especially with From Mars To Sirius where it just sounds like they've cracked some golden formula and can just easily get away with using it over and over without boring the listeners (well, the ones that do like it at least :P).

I'll give them this: this is a very unique album by Gojira standards and this is the first one that does not only sound dark and somber, the events that happened during the writing and recording process enhances that and makes it probably one of the darkest records I've listened to in a long while.  :hefdaddy
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »
I just don't think the songs are very good. They're fine, but not more.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »
As the second Gojira album I've listened to, I like it way more than From Mars To Sirius to be honest.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »
I've never heard any other Gojira before.  But I quite enjoyed the one listen-through I had of this latest album.  Great brutal, crushing riffs.  Lots of Whammy riffs.  Riffs, riffs, riffs come get your riffs.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #334 on: July 08, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
They released a music video for Low Lands, and I thought it was pretty cool. My favorite track on the album.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »
I think Pray is my favourite, but Low Lands is a good second favourite. Awesome album.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
I think Magma may be my favourite Gojira album out of all the albums I have heard (the only album I haven't heard is L'Enfant Sauvage and I really don't know why). It's exactly the direction I would prefer the band take. I've been playing it quite a lot this week, should it continue to grow on me in this way it will easily make my top 10 of 2016.

As I'd mentioned in the 'What Album are you Listening to' thread, part of reason I am enjoying this so much more, I think, is because I can concentrate and focus on the lyrics so much more than on previous albums. I've always liked the environmentally/socially aware lyrics and feel I'm actually able to take it all in more than on previous albums. I also don't find it as relentless and repetitive as previous albums.

Really good stuff. Don't think I've ever actually seen them live so would be good to check them out if they tour the UK any time soon  :metal

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: July 31, 2016, 02:53:29 AM »
I'm sort of the opposite. I think Gojira's lyrics feel kind of pretentious at times (again, at times, not always), so I try not to focus on the lyrics so much when it comes to this band.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #338 on: October 04, 2016, 01:33:03 AM »
Show was amazing.

We showed them how we roll. And they loved it. Got a used drumstick. And got it signed by the band. Pics to come when I wake up.

Tesseract kicked ass as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2017, 02:49:41 AM »
/Revivethread

Gojira just announced the support acts for the upcoming tour.

Code Orange (don't know these guys) and fucking Car Bomb! this show will be amazing. Car Bomb just released a wicked album last year and I bet they make for great live performances with their chaos.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
Is that on the UK leg of the tour as well? (I should probably just look it up  :lol)

I'm pretty sure you've played a Car Bomb song whilst I've been in the plug.dj room. Was that the band that you said had similar style music to Meshuggah but in a style you actually liked?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #341 on: January 17, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
Yeah, I played the opener from their new album. They're like Meshuggah/Dillinger/Gojira, but mostly the first two. Like a mathcore Meshuggah.

It does get a bit tiring after listening to them for a while but it sounds like a cool concert experience. Also, not sure about the UK leg, I've only seen this announcement in the event thread of the show I'm attending.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2017, 10:12:13 AM »
/Revivethread

Code Orange (don't know these guys) and fucking Car Bomb! this show will be amazing. Car Bomb just released a wicked album last year and I bet they make for great live performances with their chaos.

Holy Shit, just listening to Gojira(Magma) at work on low volume.  I looked them up as they will support Opeth in May in Nashville, TN.  I like how heavy they are.    :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
/Revivethread

Holy Shit, just listening to Gojira(Magma) at work on low volume.  I looked them up as they will support Opeth in May in Nashville, TN.  I like how heavy they are.    :metal
I think Magma is actually their least heavy albums :lol you'll love The Way of All Flesh :2metal: and From Mars to Sirius... and L'enfant Sauvage...

To ask others: do you like The Link and Terra Incognita? I can't remember the last time I was listening to any of them but The Link is to me equally good as everything they did later. Yes, it is different, but still pretty dope.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #344 on: January 29, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
Magma is a pretty cool record for the band, it's definitely a little bit different. It sacrifices some of the aggression in favor of more atmospheric and song-oriented leanings. I can dig that. That said, their heavy stuff is just too damn good and has enough atmosphere already. It's like they're digging deeper in search of something that's been there all along. I hope the next record is going to be ultra heavy.

Tomislav, on rare occasions I give Terra and Link a spin, and they're cool but I really feel the band found their sound with Mars.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #345 on: January 29, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »
Tbh Magma is the only Gojira album that holds my attention from start to finish. Their heavy albums are incredibly samey and all use the same kind of riffs / tricks. I usually can't tell when one song starts and one song ends unless it has a really distinctive section like Flying Whales.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #346 on: January 30, 2017, 01:57:03 AM »
flying whales is genuinely great but the rest of the album does little to nothing for me. uhh. global warming was kind of solid but i'm already tired of it after listening to it three times in total, it's repetitive as heck lol. i may check out their latest but i'm doubting i'll be getting into these guys 'cause the focus on heaviness really never does it for me

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #347 on: January 30, 2017, 02:43:03 AM »
Tbh Magma is the only Gojira album that holds my attention from start to finish. Their heavy albums are incredibly samey and all use the same kind of riffs / tricks. I usually can't tell when one song starts and one song ends unless it has a really distinctive section like Flying Whales.

Yea, I'm basically the same. I do find most of their albums repetitive, but not Magma. I like their heavy sound, and I need to go see them live, but listening through a whole album can be a chore sometimes. It's the same for me with Meshuggah as well.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »
Pretty cool fan animated music video for L'Enfant Sauvage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HDkLl6eewc
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
I saw these guys opening for Opeth in Nashville Tennessee.  The sound was perfect in War Memorial Auditorium and the crowd went bonkers when they played Flying Whales.  The bass player was insane!  I enjoyed Gojira more than Opeth.  Partly because the sound was better and Opeth played nothing from Blackwater Park and Still Life. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.