Author Topic: Buckethead Thread  (Read 18992 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Buckethead Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2015, 04:20:23 PM »
I really only like 1/3 of Buckethead's albums so I only have, like, 60 to listen to. 

The best thing to do with the Pikes is just to devote an hour or two and just listen to samples from each one.  I only like the mellow or metal BH albums so I avoid the funk, the shredding, the 30 minutes of weird noises, and whatever other crap. 

I really only buy physical CDs but those Pikes are expensive and no matter the length of a track, they are $.99 on amazon.  So I have gotten a few Pikes (2 tracks, 30 minutes in length) as downloads for $1.98.  Add to it that for prime members you can choose "no rush" shipping and get $1 in digital music credits. 

If all else fails, check out the Pike Suggester https://decino.nl/?p=pikesuggester

That pike selector is a godsend. Cheers! At least I have somewhere to start, and to avoid  :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »
Hey that is really useful! Will definitely check out Buckethead further using that.

First stop: The Spirit Winds (I'm feeling noodly).

Let me know what else you come up with.  The Spirit Winds is a great start.  I counted it up and I have 20 pikes, all of the moody or heavy variety so let me know if you need any suggestions. 
I really only like 1/3 of Buckethead's albums so I only have, like, 60 to listen to. 

The best thing to do with the Pikes is just to devote an hour or two and just listen to samples from each one.  I only like the mellow or metal BH albums so I avoid the funk, the shredding, the 30 minutes of weird noises, and whatever other crap. 

I really only buy physical CDs but those Pikes are expensive and no matter the length of a track, they are $.99 on amazon.  So I have gotten a few Pikes (2 tracks, 30 minutes in length) as downloads for $1.98.  Add to it that for prime members you can choose "no rush" shipping and get $1 in digital music credits. 

If all else fails, check out the Pike Suggester https://decino.nl/?p=pikesuggester

That pike selector is a godsend. Cheers! At least I have somewhere to start, and to avoid  :lol

Trust me, theres a lot to avoid and this is coming from a pretty big Buckethead fan. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2015, 05:58:28 PM »
I gave up after...6 or 7. There's like 130 now.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »
I gave up after...6 or 7. There's like 130 now.

I read this and thought you were exaggerating. That man has released a 150 albums in 2 years time. That incredible! And impossible to follow. Anyone up for a discography thread?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »
Ultimetalhead was doing a great job of this and that's where I started.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »
Was there ever a reason given for him deciding to massively increase his output of albums?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2015, 03:04:49 PM »
If they're all on Spotify - massive choice of streaming = loads more income.

That's my reason for putting out so much material anyway ! ;D

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2015, 09:28:46 PM »
When you look at the progression of Buckethead's albums, it is pretty odd.  His first album was released in Japan only.  Then he had a very electronic album and an acoustic album and a few others but around that time he joined Guns N' Roses. 

I think with the extra income he bought some better equipment, perfected his performance, and got fed up with the music scene in general thanks in part to Guns but also past record companies he dealt with.  Starting around 2004, he released one or two (or four) albums a year.  Now with a solid fan base, he can release even more BUT I think the quality has suffered in a lot of instances. 

Most of these Pikes are 28 minutes long.  Of the 20 I have (and did a lot of sampling before deciding to buy), only a portion are great material.  The guy is a genius, no doubt, but I think a lot of it he just regurgitates and knows he can make a decent profit off of.  I'm kinda getting tired of the same drum machine sound.  Thankfully, it is a great drum machine but on every single release, the drums are IDENTICAL. 

Plus, he was having back problems so I doubt he left the house much so I bet he got bored.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2015, 05:30:59 AM »
Just looked up that he so far released 78 albums this year.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2015, 05:52:16 AM »
78 albums in a year !

Tool have some catching up to do !

As do I :emo: I've only put out a measly FOUR albums this year

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »
I think he has another coming out today. He's released one each day this month.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »
How the hell do you record an album a day ?

It must be generic twiddling over a drum machine for half an hour split into "tracks"... ?

And he charges for them ?!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »
How the hell do you record an album a day ?

It must be generic twiddling over a drum machine for half an hour split into "tracks"... ?

And he charges for them ?!

Sometimes he doesn't even do that much.  He has entire "albums" that are just weird sound effects played on his guitar through pedals.

Entire albums.

On that same token, some of those Pikes that he churns out are really beautiful or really rocking. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »
The Pikes that I have heard are all really good, but that might have just been lucky pickings.

I know Look Up There, The Shores of Molokai, Underground Chamber and The Spirit Winds.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:02 PM »
The ones I have so far are:
It Smells Like Frogs
Squid Ink Lodge
Thank You Ohlingers
Worms For The Garden
Miskatonic Scale
and my personal favorite: Hold Me Forever. I listened to that one when my mom was in the hospital and I connected to it, even though there are no lyrics.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
Just looked up that he so far released 78 albums this year.  :lol
I'd like to point out that since this post 6 days ago, he is up to 86 albums this year
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
 :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
FML

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Buckethead Thread
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
Any Buckethead fans here?  :metal

If so, what do you think of the current onslaught of Pikes that Bucket has released these past years?   :corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
Thanks  :hefdaddy
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »
Oh man, I'm addicted to Buckethead at the moment, I'm frequently listening to new and old Pikes and revisiting his back catalogue.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2015, 09:03:29 PM »
Anyone heard Trace Candle yet?
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2015, 03:41:35 AM »
I went for Final Bent In The Road and Hold Me Forever. Both very cool and Satriani- like.

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
Wow!!! Awesome to see so many DT fans who are addicted to Buckethead like me! :metal

Quick question (please excuse me if this has been asked before) - what is your guys favorite out of the pikes so far???

Mine would be a tie between Hold Me Forever and the 18-minute shred-fest that is Worms for the Garden :heart

"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2015, 01:13:20 PM »
Imagine someone hearing Buckethead and going :) cool !!! i'll check out his albums....

...HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.

:splodearms: :splodearms: :splodearms: :splodearms:

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2015, 01:31:12 PM »
Imagine someone hearing Buckethead and going :) cool !!! i'll check out his albums....

...HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.

:splodearms: :splodearms: :splodearms: :splodearms:

That was me just three years ago  :lol

My brain still regularly :splodearms: listening to him!

I'm hoping someday him and Petrucci have a shred-off . . . then minds will really be blown!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »
He has put out over 200 albums this year.

I've released 11 albums in 3 years.

He makes ME look like Tool :lol

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »

Nice man, I've heard some of your stuff from another thread and it's  :metal
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »
Anyone heard Bucket's stuff with Praxis?  :metal :hefdaddy
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »

:lol Everyone looks like Tool compared to him!

I've gotta check out your stuff sometime today. Have a link?  :smiley:

I'm always the only non-musician among prog people I talk to . . . have to learn an instrument  :lol

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »

Actually not yet, really should check that out. What songs would you recommend to get me started?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2015, 03:24:10 PM »

:lol Everyone looks like Tool compared to him!

I've gotta check out your stuff sometime today. Have a link?  :smiley:

I'm always the only non-musician among prog people I talk to . . . have to learn an instrument  :lol

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41993.msg2019032#msg2019032

: :biggrin: :

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »

Nice man, I've heard some of your stuff from another thread and it's  :metal

:heart :heart :heart :metal

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »

Actually not yet, really should check that out. What songs would you recommend to get me started?

Listen to Metatron, thats what introduced me to Praxis  :metal
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid