Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346662 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3605 on: September 18, 2021, 06:56:11 PM »
 :lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3606 on: September 18, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
Not a big fan of "These Walls".   Sounds like DT going commercial and JP sounds uninspired for the first time in DT history. 

To me Octavarium was the first time I was like "This is Dream Theater?"   The album has grown on me through the years and I do actually listen to it a fair amount but I was incredibly disappointed when it first came out.

Train of Thought isn't my favorite album but it still sounded inspired and like Dream Theater was moving the needle.

Octavarium through ADTOE sounded like a band going through the motions to me. 

Now before anyone freaks out ....Dream Theater "going through the motions" is still arguably a top 10 band for me.   It just wasn't the brilliance and magic we had on the preceding albums.

The Astonishing and DOT brought some of that magic back IMO and I am extremely excited for the new album.

As if "going commercial"  is this awful thing.   Writing good songs and sorta a good thing, right?   Being a fan of DT for 30 years now, my favorite DT song is "I Walk Beside You," which is their least prog song by a mile.

I agree a great song is a great song. Speaking of that, Answering The Call may be one of your favorite songs on DT15  ;)

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3607 on: September 18, 2021, 07:03:26 PM »
This thread is officially in for the 'most derailed topic in the history of DTF'award

You said that too soon.

:lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3608 on: September 18, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »

More specifically, Rick “Ruin” bought the 2 CRUSHED cans of PERFECT tomatoes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3609 on: September 18, 2021, 07:12:15 PM »

His pen name is Miriam.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3610 on: September 18, 2021, 07:26:40 PM »

His pen name is Miriam.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Miriam loves Megadeth and KFC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3611 on: September 18, 2021, 07:43:50 PM »
...and Mickey D's!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3612 on: September 18, 2021, 07:54:47 PM »
Not a big fan of "These Walls".   Sounds like DT going commercial and JP sounds uninspired for the first time in DT history. 

To me Octavarium was the first time I was like "This is Dream Theater?"   The album has grown on me through the years and I do actually listen to it a fair amount but I was incredibly disappointed when it first came out.

Train of Thought isn't my favorite album but it still sounded inspired and like Dream Theater was moving the needle.

Now before anyone freaks out ....Dream Theater "going through the motions" is still arguably a top 10 band for me.   It just wasn't the brilliance and magic we had on the preceding albums.

The Astonishing and DOT brought some of that magic back IMO and I am extremely excited for the new album.

As if "going commercial"  is this awful thing.   Writing good songs and sorta a good thing, right?   Being a fan of DT for 30 years now, my favorite DT song is "I Walk Beside You," which is their least prog song by a mile.

I agree a great song is a great song. Speaking of that, Answering The Call may be one of your favorite songs on DT15  ;)

Oh. I like I Walk Beside You and its poppy feeling. Are you saying that Answering the Call is poppy? I won't complain if that's the case.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 08:48:01 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3613 on: September 18, 2021, 08:02:41 PM »

Oh. I like I Walk Beside You and it's poppy feeling. Are you saying that Answering the Call is poppy? I won't complain if that's the case.

Very catchy, should I dare say straightforward…. Heavy riff yet Radio friendly.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3614 on: September 18, 2021, 08:06:38 PM »
...and Mickey D's!

Rick Donald’s!!!!
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
That’s excellent! How can we tie Rick “Ruin” Rubin into this thread….. ummm…. I would like him to have a crack at a DT15 remix.   :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 08:17:16 PM by Glasser »

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3615 on: September 18, 2021, 08:12:52 PM »

Oh. I like I Walk Beside You and it's poppy feeling. Are you saying that Answering the Call is poppy? I won't complain if that's the case.

Any memorable guitar solos on the album?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3616 on: September 18, 2021, 08:19:45 PM »

Absolutely. Memorable like Goodnight Kiss, no. Under A Glass Moon, no.

• PR permission
« Reply #3617 on: September 18, 2021, 08:22:37 PM »

Illumination Theory or A View From the Top of the World?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3618 on: September 18, 2021, 09:04:48 PM »

Illumination Theory.

• PR permission
« Reply #3619 on: September 18, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »

Illumination Theory.

Understood. That's a really high bar to leap, so I have to have realistic expectations. For me, the only comparable length song that can compete with Illumination Theory is Change of Seasons. I hope we won't be disappointed by the title track given how much of the album length it takes.

Is DT15 your favorite of the Mangini era albums?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3620 on: September 18, 2021, 09:24:08 PM »

Illumination Theory.

Understood. That's a really high bar to leap, so I have to have realistic expectations. For me, the only comparable length song that can compete with Illumination Theory is Change of Seasons. I hope we won't be disappointed by the title track given how much of the album length it takes.

The title track is a grower which to me is a good thing. It’s different from any other of their epics. Honestly, my favorite Mangini era album is ADTOE but the new one is easily my second fave musically. The production on AVFTTOTW is easily their best IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3621 on: September 18, 2021, 09:28:13 PM »

The title track is a grower which to me is a good thing. It’s different from any other of their epics. Honestly, my favorite Mangini era album is ADTOE but the new one is easily my second fave musically. The production on AVFTTOTW is easily their best IMO.

Based off of The Alien, I don't see how that is possible, but there is always the chance the rest of the record sounds a bit different.  Don't get me wrong, The Alien sounds good, and it seems likely that this will be the best sounding record of the Mangini era (not exactly a high bar to clear), but the odds of the record sounding as good or better than the first three records from the 90's seem slim to none, given what we have heard thus far.

• PR permission
« Reply #3622 on: September 18, 2021, 09:28:57 PM »

Illumination Theory.

Interesting. Why is it a grower if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry for so many rapid fire questions but please understand it's been weeks since we've had any music (and might have to go another 4) so I am totally blue balled right now  :rollin

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3623 on: September 18, 2021, 09:51:39 PM »

Illumination Theory.

Interesting. Why is it a grower if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry for so many rapid fire questions but please understand it's been weeks since we've had any music (and might have to go another 4) so I am totally blue balled right now  :rollin

Bottom line, its outstanding. At times it sounds like a mix of Awake, SFAM, disc 2 of SDOIT, FII. What makes it a grower? It’s a 20 minute DT tune, lol! Needs time to digest.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #3624 on: September 19, 2021, 12:14:42 AM »
[...]
So, possibly controversial opinion here (less to rebut and more to just offer my own perspective on this, having spent 4 years studying mixing in a fair amount of detail, though would by no means call myself an expert):

Am I the only one who doesn't get the appeal of Kevin Shirley's mixes? The three factors that I feel identify them are mud, compression and a certain flatness. I think they sound fine in mellower moments like Hollow Years (even if I think James' vocals sound way too muffled on the album as a whole) and the first few minutes of Blind Faith. However, MP's snare at its loudest tends to be like half-way towards the kind of nauseating ringing (admittedly somewhat of a contemporary staple in a lot of alt rock / nu metal / alt metal at the time, possibly in part because that was when the loudness war really started kicking in, but I could be wrong) that defines the St Anger snare and the kick is compressed to the point of clipping in all of these. Today, I put Six Degrees up against the Apple Music master of Distance Over Time and... the latter smoked the former. Far more space and clarity, no clipping and a real sense of weight and punchiness. It was like going from two dimensions to three. Even Images and Words, despite its dated qualities, really benefits from the extra dynamics, separation and ambience that might put it over any Shirley mix imo.

[...]

I completely agree with this. Hot take, but I think even St. Anger (drums and overall sound) sounds better than the Shirley streak of albums (I'm listening to St. Anger right now, by the way).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3625 on: September 19, 2021, 03:22:27 AM »
St Anger is not that bad if you just turn the snare wires on.

It's actually fairly clean. Mastering wise.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3626 on: September 19, 2021, 07:24:57 AM »
St Anger is not that bad if you just turn the snare wires on.

:rollin

This reminds me of Q from Star Trek. "Just change the gravitational constant of the universe"
Gee, why didn't I think of that??  :lolpalm:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3627 on: September 19, 2021, 08:05:40 AM »
The internet does love Hyperbole.

St Angry the worst album of all the historyyyyyy!!!

Er no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w02O-XdsXE

^ Listen to that for as long as you can stand it - then click on this immediately afterwards - - > https://youtu.be/QcHvzNBtlOw?t=122

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #3628 on: September 19, 2021, 08:49:46 AM »
St. Anger worse than Q2K?

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3629 on: September 19, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »
Here's another one for Glasser, as I'm listening and admiring the alien - is mangini really strong on the new album as he is on alien?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3630 on: September 19, 2021, 09:33:16 AM »
Here's another one for Glasser, as I'm listening and admiring the alien - is mangini really strong on the new album as he is on alien?

Absolutely. He’s incredible. Would you expect less?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:05:40 AM by Glasser »

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3631 on: September 19, 2021, 10:26:35 AM »
I'm just struck by the fact that his work on alien is particularly great. Others have pointed this out

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3632 on: September 19, 2021, 10:39:26 AM »
I'm just struck by the fact that his work on alien is particularly great. Others have pointed this out

He’s a monster on the entire album. He’s been a member for a while now and this album really showcases how they have all gelled together and vibe off each other so effortlessly. This album is special on every level. I can’t wait to read everyone’s take on it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3633 on: September 19, 2021, 10:50:39 AM »

He’s a monster on the entire album. He’s been a member for a while now and this album really showcases how they have all gelled together and vibe off each other so effortlessly. This album is special on every level. I can’t wait to read everyone’s take on it.

:metal :metal :metal

Literally can't wait any longer :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3634 on: September 19, 2021, 03:33:12 PM »
Trying to get hyped for this album but I can't.  Still not a fan of The Alien.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3635 on: September 19, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »

Damn that's rough. I've been listening since it came out and still find it awesome

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #3636 on: September 19, 2021, 04:03:17 PM »
The internet does love Hyperbole.

St Angry the worst album of all the historyyyyyy!!!

Er no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w02O-XdsXE

^ Listen to that for as long as you can stand it - then click on this immediately afterwards - - > https://youtu.be/QcHvzNBtlOw?t=122

Should have picked bad music, Metal Machine Music is unironically great; good Drone borderline Noise, despite being an effort at pissing off a label  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3637 on: September 19, 2021, 04:07:25 PM »

Damn that's rough. I've been listening since it came out and still find it awesome

Meh, I've dealt with worse things.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3638 on: September 19, 2021, 04:08:17 PM »
Same, same

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3639 on: September 19, 2021, 04:14:13 PM »
Same, same

To be serious though, I wish I loved it, but I don't.  It's not a big deal to me.  I'll still buy the album on the day and spin it and see.  Maybe a second single might change my mind.