Author Topic: Mastodon scoring "Jonah Hex" film  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Mastodon scoring "Jonah Hex" film
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »
https://www.aintitcool.com/node/42234

Hey folks, Harry here with awesomeness the likes of which only Medusa's slithering snakey bush might conceal badassery to match. It seems this is the time of year where little birdies will come a calling with mind-numbing news of unmatched wowitude.
Today - and many other days as well - the metal gods known as MASTODON have been not so quietly scoring the film JONAH HEX. When I asked what it was sounding like, the only response was, "Needless to say, pretty heavy!"

Man - Daft Punk doing TRON 2. Mastodon doing JONAH HEX - geek just got real cool - The metal sounds of an occult western. SO COOL. I really do have an incredibly good feeling about this. Of course, I also bought tickets for METALOCALYPSE with Dethklok and Mastodon this November here in Austin, so I'm chomping at the bit for this tiny rocking bit of awe! How about you?

:metal

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Mastodon scoring "Jonah Hex" film
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:29:55 AM »
Hadn't heard of it till now but I'm definitely going even if it's just for the soundtrack.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 12:48:12 AM »
This is a good film score, pretty much sludge & prog metal. Instrumental also, and Mastodon is interesting this way imo.

Edit: not implying I prefer Mastodon that way.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:13:00 AM by SPNKr »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
So I bought the EP, its okay.  I can see it working well as a soundtrack, but "Death march" is really boring and repetitive, though "Clayton Boys" and "Indian Theme" are good.  I understand that a lot of the music they originally wrote got scrapped because the scenes they wrote it for were scrapped.  I'd love to hear that stuff, its supposed to be incredibly heavy.