Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 95576 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2020, 06:31:30 AM »
It was a lot smaller than I remembered. 

Nice Chad, and this is what stood out to me. I did not remember the house being so small, especially the bedrooms. I certainly didn't think it was growing up.

Yeah, it dawned on me that most of my memories were from a time where I was 1/2 the size of adult Chad.  Probably the same for you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2020, 07:07:38 AM »
When I go back I actually lock the vehicle doors.

You mean when you park the car?

Or when driving?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2020, 07:21:00 AM »

Or when driving?

Driving.  Now cars automatically lock but they didn't back i the day so even though you were in the car, we did not feel safe and locked the doors.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2020, 08:00:47 AM »
It was a lot smaller than I remembered. 

Nice Chad, and this is what stood out to me. I did not remember the house being so small, especially the bedrooms. I certainly didn't think it was growing up.

First, I'm so glad you had that experience.

But I'm also glad you both said that about "seeming smaller".  Similar story; my parents moved to Florida in the early 90's, and I've been back to my town maybe three times?   It was a couple years ago now, but I took my daughter to see my house and a couple other landmarks (I grew up on a lake and have experiences like TAC with going down there with my walkman) and the enduring memory was... it was so SMALL.  We used to sled ride down the hill in front of the houses on my street and it felt - then - like miles.   My daughter didn't ACTUALLY call me a "p****" but I could see it in her eyes. :)   I used to play wiffle ball on the side of the house, then when I got older, dad made it into a parking area for the cars, and I look now and I think "man, that was a SMALL wiffle ball game, and how the hell did I get a car in there?"   My grandmother's house - which was right up the street - was even worse; I've literally seen garden sheds that look bigger. 

Same with my middle school (the same school the Sandy Hook survivors used as a temporary school).  I remember getting my bike and riding around that school and thinking it was like Charlotte Motor Speedway.  I remember playing baseball on the back field, and the rocks out in left field being so far.  Again, my daugher and the "look".  ;)   Those rocks were like the Green Monster in Fenway.  I wanted to go get a bat and ball and hit one out there right then.   

And the funny thing?  Many of those memories are when I was older and should have adapted to the size.  It must be from living in cities since then, I don't know.   

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2020, 10:23:15 AM »

Or when driving?

Driving.  Now cars automatically lock.

Mine doesn't, but I often lock them anyway.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2020, 11:27:23 AM »
Working outside on the patio or sitting in the grass is awesome. So much better than the cubicle at work. I am working on a pitch to my boss to let me work from home permanently.

Also, I bought a new lawnmower that is easy enough for the two oldest sons to operate. I am so thrilled to not have to mow the lawn anymore! I pay them a few extra bucks allowance to mow and I just get to sit and relax!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2020, 04:25:42 PM »
You know what made me happy today? Well last night actually.

My family gave me a haircut. It was actually pretty funny. We were all laughing the whole time. Turned out OK, too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
I cleaned out the garage and did what my called impossible, I fit both cars and the motorcycle in the garage while not throwing anything away or moving anything to other rooms of the house.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2020, 07:05:25 AM »
I cleaned out the garage and did what my called impossible, I fit both cars and the motorcycle in the garage while not throwing anything away or moving anything to other rooms of the house.

That's the real trick right there.   Though I could probably due with some throwing out. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »
My daughter, who just completed her sophomore year, was notified last night that she will be the section leader for the flute section in her marching band for the upcoming season!!!  She was selected over two seniors (one of whom didn't want the job), so I'm hoping this doesn't cause too much tension, but she is so excited, and I couldn't be more proud!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2020, 09:35:20 AM »
Awesomesauce!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2020, 11:09:18 AM »

My reply should really be in the 'Mildly Irritated' or even 'Pissed Off' thread.

But first... that is awesome. Great work.

On to the irritated/pissed off part... I am the president of our HOA. 34 detached homes on a cul de sac. All homes have a 2 car garage and driveway. There are, I believe, 12 guest parking spaces. Per HOA CC&Rs, these are designed for guests only. Not too much of a stretch, right? So I am constantly getting complaints from residents that other residents are using guest parking spotsas their personal overflow parking. When I address this with the offenders, I get something along the lines of "well, we have 3 cars, and don't have room to park our cars in our garage." Then get a f*cking storage unit. Or tidy up/throw away your shit like Reaper did.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2020, 03:29:06 PM »
You know what made me happy today? Well last night actually.

My family gave me a haircut. It was actually pretty funny. We were all laughing the whole time. Turned out OK, too.

I've never in my life wanted a hair cut so badly as I do now  :lol

What made me happy today was taking a short break from work as I expected about an hour wait for a call back from someone working remotely for me, and I logged on to play a game of Call of Duty Warzone and won! Then my guy called me within minutes.  Perfect timing to bring the work day to an end.  :metal  Oh and it's beautiful out today.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
I GOT A RAISE  :omg: :2metal:  :hefdaddy  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2020, 12:10:02 PM »

Just in time for your music addiction.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »

Nice man!  :metal

For me, it's national donut day, so to surprise my kids, my wife and I went over to a local bakery and bought 2 dozen donuts.  They were so surprised and happy!  I love surprising my kids :).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:27:32 PM by Northern Lion »
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
Mmmm, donuts...  :biggrin:

Just in time for your music addiction.  :lol

Fortunately for my wallet, I got a turntable over the holidays, so I'm mostly buying cheap vinyls from the 70s-80s, and have moved on to only buying CDs that I *really* love, or from bands that I've already got a solid collection. Win win!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »

That's the real trick right there.   Though I could probably due with some throwing out. 

I got into this mindset a few years ago that I need to start throwing stuff away that I'm never going to use. I was especially bad with computer parts, at one point I probably had enough stuff to build 3 or 4 PC's.

Congrats!

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2020, 02:00:51 PM »
Just had the call: I'm going to direct Rigoletto in France this August.

I was afraid arenas and theatres would never open again.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2020, 02:05:33 PM »
I got into this mindset a few years ago that I need to start throwing stuff away that I'm never going to use.

It's a constant struggle in our house, as my wife is loathe to toss anything, with the mindset of either "We might use that someday!" or "I've had that since I was 8, I just can't get rid of it!" When she asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I might have been the first person to ever answer that question with "less stuff."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »
Hooray for everybody! Glad to hear some good news :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »

Oh great, so much for the Scenes thread! :lol

What's Rigoletto? Is that the one you just did?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2020, 02:42:27 PM »

Oh great, so much for the Scenes thread! :lol

What's Rigoletto? Is that the one you just did?

Nope, Rigoletto is an opera by Verdi (gorgeous music, especially the famous Quartet), the one with the hunchback jester whose daughter is raped by a lusty duke. I won't be on scene, I'll just direct. It's going to be interesting because I'll be forced to plan the whole direction and stage production under social distancing measures parameters.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2020, 03:02:40 PM »
That was a nice story to tead Tim.  That's like movie type shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »
The hunchback’s daughter was only seventeen.

Daddy says she’s too young, but she’s old enough, old enough for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2020, 03:55:02 PM »
That is so bad.

That was a nice story to tead Tim.  That's like movie type shit.

:)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »

Good for you mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »
Stock finished out the week really good.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2020, 03:35:34 PM »
This is a wierd answer but... My other half had to go take care of a few work related things, which is the only time I have to my self.

I just put every Dream Theater album (minus astonishing) in a big Playlist, hit shuffle, drank a monster, and did some stuff around our apartment.

Legit made me happy.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2020, 10:40:36 AM »
July 24 I'm going to be once again on a stage, doing my job.

Last time was on February 23, and I've almost lost my mind during these five months.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2020, 10:42:50 AM »
We've almost lost our minds having you here! ;D

That's great news. Will there be an audience? Honest question. How is that being handled?

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2020, 10:52:07 AM »
 :lol

Half house, double shows, open arena-esque space. Seats sanitised between shows.

Being a simple singers plus orchestra recital helps with the stage intricacies. Full stage productions will be (are being) a bitch to re-imagine distances-wise.

And I really need to be on a diet! 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »
This is a wierd answer but... My other half had to go take care of a few work related things, which is the only time I have to my self.

I just put every Dream Theater album (minus astonishing) in a big Playlist, hit shuffle, drank a monster, and did some stuff around our apartment.

Legit made me happy.

Nothing weird about that IMO

July 24 I'm going to be once again on a stage, doing my job.

Last time was on February 23, and I've almost lost my mind during these five months.

Awesome, glad you are going to be able to get back to business

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2020, 10:57:42 AM »
Thank you cram!  :D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
Although, your presence here will be missed that's great news, Indi! Break a leg!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens